PDA

View Full Version : NEW MLS Match center (WOW!)

kodiakTFC
03-04-2010, 02:57 PM
from Paul Beirne's twitter.. http://twitter.com/paulbeirne

"New MLS video player will be hi def, 16:9, ability to watch 3 games at once. Suddenly $40 for full access to all games seems ok."

akoto
03-04-2010, 03:05 PM
I've been a sub for the last 3-4 years now and it keeps getting better while remaining a great value. Can't wait to see this year's.

Phil
03-04-2010, 03:14 PM
I would still prefer if more MLS games were on gol tv.

Pigfynn
03-04-2010, 03:17 PM
^^Ditto.

MLSE needs to be more serious about the league they own a team in. Regardless of ratings someone has to take this league and bring it to people as a polished and serious product or nothing will change on the ratings front.

rocker
03-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm transitioning more and more to watching stuff on my computer, so this is great. I always thought it was a good value.

Oldtimer
03-04-2010, 03:31 PM
I've paid my $20 to subscribe for years. $40 seems worth it provided they are really going to have all of the games.

rocker
03-04-2010, 03:34 PM
the only negative was not allowing us to see the big ESPN games, even though the ESPN games were not anywhere on Canadian TV. they should do IP checks and let Canadians watch if it's not on in Canada.

Brooker
03-04-2010, 03:36 PM
40 dollars for the whole year?

Pachuco
03-04-2010, 04:21 PM
40 dollars for the whole year?

I imagine. It was 20 bucks for the whole year last couple of years.

This is a really good value. I'm all over this for sure.

Auzzy
03-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I've also subscribed to the Match Center in the last two years. Personally I'm not too psyched about the new $40 fee (and yes, it was $20 for the whole year previously). Wasn't it already hi def last year....? Can't remember, that would be an improvement.

I don't think I ever want to watch more than one game at a time, at least not if one of them is a TFC game. And unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be any change in the policy regarding which games are shown/not shown. The 2010 TFC schedule lists the MLS games that are shown on MLSnet.com which I'm pretty sure is the same thing as Match Center. Five TFC games aren't this year, because they're nationally televised in the US on ESPN2/Deportes, Fox, or Telefutura. I think that's about the same number as last year (and is probably just related to the broadcast schedule & which TFC games happened to get picked up).

Maybe they will still change that rule, but I doubt it. What I would think is a huge improvement, and I'd gladly pay the $40: if they gave you a choice of home or away announcers to listen to for the broadcast. Last years, they picked the US announcers for most of the games. Some of them are fine, some of them are absolutely awful. If they would give us the choice of the audio from whatever Cdn station is also broadcasting that day, it would be awesome.

phonzo
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
the stream wasn't hi-def last year that's for sure - and sure it would be great if it were on GolTV but this is a pretty good deal. I'll probably subscribe again.

nascarguy
03-04-2010, 05:18 PM
it's good that there doing this but if I'm not at the game to watch it live. I sometime do not watch the game at all of I'm not at a bar.

ag futbol
03-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I've paid my $20 to subscribe for years. $40 seems worth it provided they are really going to have all of the games.
Yeah, I subscribed the last couple of years also.

$40 as opposed to $20 ... maybe it will be worth it. Have to see.

James Oliphant
03-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Saying it's HD and 16:9 is all well and good, but not enough teams have their games shot/broadcast in HD to begin with. And that includes our team.

Fox Soccer Channel went HD recently, but games that are on their air are blacked out on Match Center.

Perhaps that will change this year, but I doubt it...the NHL is lucky to get HD broadcasts in the U.S.

TFC247
03-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Fox Soccer Channel went HD recently, but games that are on their air are blacked out on Match Center.

Perhaps that will change this year, but I doubt it...the NHL is lucky to get HD broadcasts in the U.S.National broadcast was completely blacked out before but last year they started showing all the replays. FWIW, we'll get to see some HD in replays at least if they do that again.

James17930
03-04-2010, 07:20 PM
National broadcast was completely blacked out before but last year they started showing all the replays. FWIW, we'll get to see some HD in replays at least if they do that again.

Yes, that was the big improvement last year. And obviously it makes sense -- once the game has been broadcast live, why shouldn't we be able to watch an archive?

HD sounds good. The only problem for me is that obviously I'm overseas and so often I can't watch it live because my stream is just too slow, and then sometimes it even takes hours to download the archived stream (especially if I want it in high quality).

So hopefully, along with this change and price increase, they also increase their server capacity.

Bender
03-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi Def and the ability to watch three games at once may finally make this worth it. Looking forward to it now.

T-Bird
03-05-2010, 08:07 PM
IF there is a season
IF the players take the field
IF there is TFC to watch. .

. . . I would be happy to subscribe to this.

and Paul. . you can quote me on that!

Torcida
03-07-2010, 02:13 AM
IF there is a season
IF the players take the field
IF there is TFC to watch. .

. . . I would be happy to subscribe to this.

and Paul. . you can quote me on that!
I'm sure Paul is wetting his pants that he got your endorsement!

James Oliphant
03-07-2010, 05:01 AM
For the record, you could always watch three games at once. You just needed three different browsers installed on your computer.

I once had Firefox, IE, Chrome, Safari and Opera open...each with an MLS Live stream going at the same time as the others.

Guajiro
03-07-2010, 07:27 AM
If it's $40 it seems like a steal to me. I've been paying $180 or something for NHL GameCenter.

Parkdale
03-07-2010, 07:30 AM
it was useful to have multiple games in the final stretch of last season as he had to constantly work the numbers for the playoffs.

MrHawk
03-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Saying it's HD and 16:9 is all well and good, but not enough teams have their games shot/broadcast in HD to begin with. And that includes our team.

Perhaps that will change this year, but I doubt it...the NHL is lucky to get HD broadcasts in the U.S.

Upconvert :)

I mean most people watch "Faux HD" anyways, I wonder what the bitrate will be..............

And that's going to be a shitload of bandwidth sucked up.

mlsintoronto
03-07-2010, 09:53 AM
^^Ditto.

MLSE needs to be more serious about the league they own a team in.

I beg your pardon?

mlsintoronto
03-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I've also subscribed to the Match Center in the last two years. Personally I'm not too psyched about the new $40 fee (and yes, it was $20 for the whole year previously). Wasn't it already hi def last year....? Can't remember, that would be an improvement.

I pulled the price of $40 out of thin air. for some reason I thought it was $39.99 last year. I dont know what the price is for 2010.

I think they will black out local games (to drive people to local TV). no idea how they will handle ESPN in Canada. Didn't think to ask but will now.

London
03-07-2010, 09:59 AM
i remember something about goltv showing 40 out of market games last year.

i only remember 1 or 2.

what happened with that?

i would like to see houston vs chivas and other matches not including TFC.

JonO
03-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Upconvert :)

I mean most people watch "Faux HD" anyways, I wonder what the bitrate will be..............

And that's going to be a shitload of bandwidth sucked up.
I dunno... I've seen some pretty impressive live HD streaming and that was a few years ago. Depends on how good the compression is I guess...

Pigfynn
03-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Gol TV should show more MLS games because that's the league the team they own plays in. I think that a move like that shows a company taking the league more seriously. You don't?

I realize a Real Madrid or Bayern game is going to get more viewers but the core of GOL TV seems to be shifting towards TFC themed shows and the next step is more MLS games no?

MrHawk
03-07-2010, 10:02 AM
I dunno... I've seen some pretty impressive live HD streaming and that was a few years ago. Depends on how good the compression is I guess...

Don't doubt that, but when you're doing a multistream HD............I don't believe (I could be wrong) that only a few games will be in HD (probably like the big match)

If KC and NYRB are a Sunday Afternoon game, it'll be in SD..........where as Chicago/Columbus (Battle for first place as an example) would be in HD.

Just take the priority games or high-viewership games in HD.

Kevin
03-07-2010, 10:09 AM
I get the Direct Kick pacage from Directv. The advantages of using this instead of MLS Livestream is that I can use my DVR (PVR I think for ya'll). James Oliphant said it best that most of the matches are/were not shot in HD but, some of the larger markets (NY and LA) were. I am now trying to justify spending $30 more for the DK package from what has been posted in here.

MrHawk
03-07-2010, 10:36 AM
I get the Direct Kick pacage from Directv. The advantages of using this instead of MLS Livestream is that I can use my DVR (PVR I think for ya'll). James Oliphant said it best that most of the matches are/were not shot in HD but, some of the larger markets (NY and LA) were. I am now trying to justify spending $30 more for the DK package from what has been posted in here.

We don't have that luxury up in Canada.

SoccMan
03-07-2010, 11:25 AM
I agree that Gol TV should show more MLS games not just the TFC games. If I remember corectly last season Gol TV began televising some MLS games later on in the season picking up the ESPN feed. Hopefuly this continues this season, but I hope they show MLS games right from the start of the season not just at the tail end of the season. On a further note does anyone know if TFC games will be back on radio this season, last season I think all the games were broadcast on the Fan 590?

TorCanSoc
03-07-2010, 12:16 PM
They drop the price down to something stupid like $9.99 late in the season. I get it then. Up to that point, I watch about two out of market games a week off ATDHE. You know.... when there isn't a strike ;)

thisisinternetclash
03-08-2010, 05:58 PM
"Grain of salt", etc.: Last year MLS claimed that the Matchcentre games were broadcast in "TV QUALITY" and that their streams were 800kb/s, but both claims were patently untrue. They looked no better or worse than average, midrange Sopcast or Justin.tv streams, and much worse than legitimate 800kb/s illegal footall streams on sites like Veetle.com. It was still a pretty good value for twenty bucks, and I'd be willing to pay double that if what they claim is actually true, but I'm not holding my breath.

mlsintoronto
03-08-2010, 07:14 PM
"Grain of salt", etc.: Last year MLS claimed that the Matchcentre games were broadcast in "TV QUALITY" and that their streams were 800kb/s, but both claims were patently untrue.

I'm with you on this. Part of me wants to wait and see. Good news is that the provider is Nuelion, and we have good experience with them.

Alonso
03-08-2010, 08:08 PM
the only negative was not allowing us to see the big ESPN games, even though the ESPN games were not anywhere on Canadian TV. they should do IP checks and let Canadians watch if it's not on in Canada.

This is what killed it for me.... half the time when I was in need to watch the game on Match Centre I couldn't because they weren't streaming it.

For $20 with a shiite feed I should be able to watch EVERY match. I ended up watching most of those games on Justin.tv in spanish instead and that was completely free.

Definitely not going to renew my subscription this year unless every TFC game will be streamed....

Alonso
03-08-2010, 08:21 PM
"Grain of salt", etc.: Last year MLS claimed that the Matchcentre games were broadcast in "TV QUALITY" and that their streams were 800kb/s, but both claims were patently untrue. They looked no better or worse than average, midrange Sopcast or Justin.tv streams, and much worse than legitimate 800kb/s illegal footall streams on sites like Veetle.com. It was still a pretty good value for twenty bucks, and I'd be willing to pay double that if what they claim is actually true, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah that was the other thing that bothered me, as well as the fact that their servers were useless. I dont mind paying either, as long as the quality is there...

Guajiro
03-26-2010, 04:48 PM
I just payed for MLS Matchday Live.

Before doing so I checked out the broadcast sked on the TFC website, which listed the majority of games as being broadcast on Direct Kick, which weren't identified as blackout games by MLS (as far as I could tell).

After purchasing the package, though, I checked out the web player and when I clicked on the TFC/Columbus match for tomorrow it said I had to watch it on TV. Upon further investigation I see that GolTV will be showing it (along with all the other DK matches I suppose). Seeing as CBC and I presume Rogers Sportsnet will be blacked out as national and regional sports broadcasters, does this mean I just payed $40 for nothing?

I emailed MLS support but haven't heard anything. Anyone know anything about this?

Auzzy
03-26-2010, 05:52 PM
BUMP!

Can anyone confirm/rebut what Guajiro said? That TFC's first match (and perhaps others) won't be shown on Matchday Live? Even though TFC's own schedule (on their website) shows it as being shown on mlsnet.com -- which in previous years meant that it was being shown on Match Center?

Paul/mlsintoronto could you perhaps find out something about that?

Guajiro, where did you find the link to Matchday Live on the new website? I can't find it.

EDIT I did find the link to the MatchDay Live signup, but no info about what is included. Also, according to info on the new MLS home page, you're supposed to be able to get a free trial to MatchDay Lieve, but you can't get anywhere w/o entering your credit card info.

Thanks

troy1982
03-26-2010, 06:35 PM
I am watching the highlights of the sea-phi game and the quality is the best i have seen on a computer better than SD TV, almost HD TV, but not all the sources will be in HD as ESPN2HD was for this game.

Auzzy
03-26-2010, 06:38 PM
troy1982, do you have a new MatchDay Live account? Can you check if the Toronto @ Columbus game will be shown, or is blocked? Any more info available on what will be shown throughout the season or not?

Also, did you pay or get a free trial?

Thanks!

Auzzy
03-26-2010, 07:21 PM
I found some info here: http://mdl.mlssoccer.com/mlsmdl/help.htm (http://mdl.mlssoccer.com/mlsmdl/help.htm)

but it's gibberish to me. Excerpt:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When am I blacked out on MLS MATCHDAY LIVE?
Generally, you are blacked out of games on MLS MATCHDAY LIVE based on a number of factors, including:

- Your local team is televising on a local over-the-air station and you are located within that station’s signal.
- Your local team is televising on a local regional sports network and your cable or satellite system falls within the distribution for that local regional sports network (regardless of whether your cable or satellite system actually carries that regional sports network.)
- There is no local television coverage of your local team.
- The game is being televised nationally on - ESPN, FSC, or Telefutura.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So does this mean we can't actually see any TFC games (home or away) on MatchDay Live from Toronto, because they are all either televised nationally in the US, or over the air locally (CBC), and/or locally via cable (GolTV or Sportsnet)??????

And of course it's not available outside of US & Canada anymore, which is just plain stupid. They sold the international TV rights, but MLS is not actually shown on TV anywhere internationally???!!!

Kaz
03-26-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm glad that I didn't pay for it yet... that would mean that basically no TFC home game is going to be live, and nearly no away games are going to be either.

This is the most useless service... I don't have cable and I'm not paying $50 just to get basic cable for a channel or two that I can't get over air. I'm really hoping at least the away games are going to be there or this year I won't be watching many TFC games live.

Add to that the fact I use Linux and am still working on getting a open source Silverlight replacement to actually work with the new user unfriendly MLS site that requires a piece of software that isn't universally implemented, and isn't even coded well.

TorCanSoc
03-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Wow. I just saw the quality of the PHI-SEA game recap. I watched the game on ADTHE. But man, the quality of video on the mls site was unbelievable !!!!

OK I get it (I'm no techie) not all games will be in HD, hence the quality will likely be the same as JustinTV. But man, those games in the mls site quality (is it called internet HD or 800K wow).

I would really doubt the stability of such a feed. It frustrates me when it happens on ADTHE, but if I'm paying for it, I want stability.

Not having TFC on the sched virtually means I don't buy.

Auzzy
03-26-2010, 09:07 PM
I think we need someone who has already purchased the new MLS Matchday Live package to confirm which TFC games will or won't be shown, I'm just not sure.

TorCanSoc, I believe this is the same or similar system used this year for video on www.ctvolympics.ca (http://www.ctvolympics.ca)

I watched a ton of that, live & archives, from a variety of computers (old & new computers, high bandwidth at work and basic DSL feed at home), and it was very good, very stable, and excellent features. Also, this system can change the bandwidth of the feed on the fly to match the connection bandwidth & enduser computer power, so you're getting the best possible quality. I realize Silverlight will be annoying for some, but not a problem for me.

However, if you can't use it, because games are blocked, then it's no freaking use.

Anybody? Paul Beirne, do you know what will be shown on MatchDay Live, and is the schedule on TFC's website correct in this regard? ("mlsnet.com" used to mean that it will be streamed.) Anybody in the Toronto Area with a MatchDay Live account that can check if TFC's first game will be shown?

Kthxbai...

SteeltownBhoy
03-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Auzzy

I have purchased the MlS Matchday Live because I cannot get Gol TV here in Hamilton. The game is not on Matchday tomorrow.

If it's a Natonal Broadcast it's not shown, but also, if it's shown on a Regional Sportsnetwork in your area it's also blacked out.

That's Bullshit because Gol Tv is not a Regional Sports Network but a Speciality Channel..THAT I CAN'T GET!!! But MLSE OWNS IT SO......??

Ive sent off an e mail, no reply yet. It's possible no TFC games will been shown on Matchday because they are all on Regional Sports Networks.

If your buying Matchday just for TFC try to find out from these guys how many TFC games you will actually be able to see!!!

Cheers

Auzzy
03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
SteeltownBhoy, thanks for the info! Now that would be a stinking load of bullshit, wouldn't it? After MLS MatchDay got hyped up here on the board & elsewhere, maybe we can't see any TFC games. I think I'll hold off & see if folks who are already customers can get some straight answers from them.

I don't have cable & don't want it, only rabbit ears. So I can only see games shown on CBC. But CBC is only showing home games (except @Seattle), and I'm going to all of those at BMO. I guess I'll have to try to make it to one of the bars tomorrow even though it doesn't really work with our schedule. Man, this is annoying.

barticusz
03-26-2010, 09:41 PM
I have purchased the MatchDay as well thinking that it would show most of the TFC matches. If this is not the case I'm going to be pissed. I can't watch any of the games except those that are televised nationally since I'm in Edmonton.

BTW, quality right now for the Chivas vs. Colorado game is quite good. It's stuttering a lot right now but hopefully that smooth's out.

When I click on the TFC vs. Columbus game it doesn't say anything about watching it on TV, just says "Waiting for the video feed". Which is what it said for this game before it began. So hopefully it will be broadcast.

barticusz
03-26-2010, 09:46 PM
So you can choose different bitrates that you want the stream to use, 400, 800, 1600, 2200 or Adaptive. I've left mine at adaptive and from time to time the stream quality worsens but overall it is great. It is stuttering a lot less now and I'd imagine they'd continue to improve their network.

SteeltownBhoy
03-26-2010, 09:47 PM
The quality is good, it is buffering alot. Can't use any of the features at all!!

Alonso
03-26-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm eating my words and I hate when I have to eat humble pie... Not sure about the amount of TFC games we'll get to see on it but the quality of the video is UNBELIEVABLE I'm streaming at 1600 kb/s and the video is crisp, beautiful, and uninterrupted. I'm going to hook it up to my 42" Panasonic HD Tv and see how it looks on there. The quality is definitely better than cable, id say its HD for sure.

SteeltownBhoy
03-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Agree

No no more buffering and picture is incrediable. But I cant change the biterate from variable!! Are you able to use the features on the console??

Auzzy
03-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Don't make me jealous. Maybe I'm going to have to start travelling from Toronto to Buffalo or somewhere else to watch TFC away games on MLS MatchDay. :mad:

TheKing7
03-26-2010, 10:55 PM
I thought all TFC games were brodcasted in HD this year...? or am i mistaken?

SteeltownBhoy
03-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Got an e mail from matchday. The TFC game is blacked out in the Columbus and Toronto markets!! Isn't that a fine how'd you do.

I don't think we are going to be able to get any Toronto games on Matchday!!!

Alonso
03-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Agree

No no more buffering and picture is incrediable. But I cant change the biterate from variable!! Are you able to use the features on the console??

Yeah I had it on variable, but then moved it to 1600 and later on after that to 2200. The video was amazing.

I didn't try any of the console features other than the bitrate... didn't want to press my luck. LOL

Auzzy
03-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Got an e mail from matchday. The TFC game is blacked out in the Columbus and Toronto markets!! Isn't that a fine how'd you do.

I don't think we are going to be able to get any Toronto games on Matchday!!!

OK, thanks for the info, even if it's very bad news. Saved me $40. I just don't have the time to watch other MLS games so this is of absolutely no use to me.

Man they really screwed this one up. So we can't even watch away games from Toronto, and we can't watch games while on vacation outside of US & Canada. It's not just people like me who don't have cable or satellite TV. (If I did, I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for Gol TV, although I wouldn't want a big pack of stations.) More importantly: sometimes I have to be at work before or after TFC games, and I was able to watch a few games online from there last year with my paid subscription. Actually, I know a bunch of people who occasionally watch TFC games from work. What, is MLS expecting us to get cable TV at work as well?

This is so dumb. I guess I'll just have to look for the best free online stream available (even if it means installing extra software) and save the money I was willing to spend. Meanwhile, MLB video streaming is apparently available to subscribers anywhere in the world...???

Dunkers
03-27-2010, 01:19 AM
decided to check out Match Cneter, it really is a crisp as everyone is claiming. I have used match center the last 2 years now, and this blows it away. It was laggy on my end, but im going to chalk that up to my laptop and video card.

as for for the blackout in toronto for a game 8 hrs away...that makes little to no sense...is this MLSE way of getting everyone to sign up for GOL?

on a side note GOL is showing something like 4 games, except they are all in the next 6 weeks, so that is less then 5 dollars for the channel and then you can cancel.

Auzzy
03-27-2010, 01:46 AM
These stupid new restrictions are league-wide, so nothing specifically related to MLSE. BTW, I wouldn't mind signing up for GolTV if I had cable or satellite TV, but I don't, and I'm not getting it just for that. Also, being able to watch away games at work (if working late or on weekends) was great. I don't thing we'll be getting cable or satellite at work! I know a bunch of people who occasionally watch games from work.

Also, TFC & other MLS fans around the world are screwed & pissed about the new location crackdown.

barticusz
03-27-2010, 01:49 AM
What exactly is Toronto's market area? I expect that I should be able to watch the game as I am in Alberta.

Auzzy
03-27-2010, 01:54 AM
Maybe it's more related to where the game is available on TV, rather than the location of the game? See if you can understand the info at this site, I'm confused:

http://mdl.mlssoccer.com/mlsmdl/help.htm#BLACKOUTS

Guajiro
03-27-2010, 06:28 AM
Maybe it's more related to where the game is available on TV, rather than the location of the game? See if you can understand the info at this site, I'm confused:

http://mdl.mlssoccer.com/mlsmdl/help.htm#BLACKOUTS
So now GolTV is a regional sports broadcaster? The fact that the TFC website listed most of the games being on Direct Kick or mlsnet.com led me to believe I was safe in purchasing Match Day Live, but I guess I was wrong. I still haven't heard back. I want my money back!

Auzzy
03-27-2010, 07:04 AM
I dunno, it's bizarre for sure. I would agree, I thought video streaming would work for this & most games in the season. That "help" page is pretty unhelpful anyway: "local regional sports network" -- what does that mean?

The 24th minute Twitter (Duane Rollins) actually said that it should be a free trial, and that you wouldn't be charged if you cancel within the two weeks. However, I also read about someone being charged right away. Can you check if the money actually came off your credit card?

Clear as mud, eh? I'm definitely going to wait on this...

Guajiro
03-27-2010, 07:43 AM
It hasn't gone on my card yet... but it is the weekend. I hope I can cancel it, or I'm just way off and all the GolTV games won't be blacked out. I wish they'd answer my questions.

thisisinternetclash
03-27-2010, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't expect any of the TFC games to be shown on this. So, if that's what you were hoping for, I'd cancel it. That sai,d I watched the Chivas - Rapids game last night and the quality was BEAUTIFUL. This is a very, very good product for anybody who's interested in MLS outside of TFC.

lazlo_80
03-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Same as above. I assumed it worked like the MLB ones where it only shows games that are out of market. The stream is really nice quality. Looking forward to watching a lot of games over the upcoming season through this. I really want to improve my understanding of other teams in the league rather than just getting to see them twice when TFC plays them.

El_camino
03-27-2010, 11:53 AM
I just signed up. I had it the last 2 years as well since I live in the US and don't get tfc games. it shit that no matter how much the price rises, i'm forced to buy it :-/

Petor
03-27-2010, 12:14 PM
I just signed up. I had it the last 2 years as well since I live in the US and don't get tfc games. it shit that no matter how much the price rises, i'm forced to buy it :-/

Well, the quality has gone up 10 fold and they are only charging a few bucks more than last year(double?).

I just purchased the package so I could watch last night's match.
I'm not going to cancel as it looked great!
Was watching that flea crawl around the ball during the listings of the starting lineup from last night! :D

mastermixer
03-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Hey can anyone get the Seattle Philly game to play? It just tells me to watch it live on ESPN.

polak9pete
03-27-2010, 05:20 PM
games that are broadcasted nationally on ESPN, FSC and telefutura arent gonna work on the MLS player so basically its like 3-4 games a week that you cant watch on the MLS player which kinda sucks balls..but the games that you CAN watch are very solid quality and those that arent available you just watch on justin.tv or ustream

SteeltownBhoy
03-27-2010, 05:37 PM
David,

Hamilton is in the local TV market for Toronto, so you will be blacked out of all Toronto FC games on Matchday Live.

MLS Support

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: ABZ-832635

So this makes it official, if you live in the Toronto Viewing area, that includes Hamilton, you will be blacked out for ALL!!!! Toronto games on Matchday. Buyer beware if you where buying for TFC away games!!!

Nuvinho
03-27-2010, 05:51 PM
you can't watch any games that are on ESPN, Telefunda (sp?), FSW, and local (TFC).

If you are looking to watch other MLS games, then its worth it....I probably watched around 40 to 50 games last year.

Guajiro
03-27-2010, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't expect any of the TFC games to be shown on this. So, if that's what you were hoping for, I'd cancel it. That sai,d I watched the Chivas - Rapids game last night and the quality was BEAUTIFUL. This is a very, very good product for anybody who's interested in MLS outside of TFC.
Canceled. The TFC website threw me off because the schedule said most games would be broadcast on Direct Kick or mlsnet.com. I don't have TV, so it's all meaningless to me. I thought .com meant online for some reason... silly me.

kodiakTFC
03-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Canceled. The TFC website threw me off because the schedule said most games would be broadcast on Direct Kick or mlsnet.com. I don't have TV, so it's all meaningless to me. I thought .com meant online for some reason... silly me.

how do u cancel it?

Guajiro
03-28-2010, 10:05 AM
how do u cancel it?
I emailed mlsmatchdaylive@neulion.com and asked them to cancel my subscription.

Auzzy
03-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Same as above. I assumed it worked like the MLB ones where it only shows games that are out of market. The stream is really nice quality. Looking forward to watching a lot of games over the upcoming season through this. I really want to improve my understanding of other teams in the league rather than just getting to see them twice when TFC plays them.

So is it true that MLB for example won't let you watch Jays home or away games online, if you're in the Toronto area? If that's the case, I did not know that. Maybe that's the new policy for MLS, but it sucks, because it's much worse than the past seasons in MLS. Up to now, you could see the live video stream for almost all TFC games, home & away, even in Toronto (on the old Match Centre). Only about 3 or 4 games per season were blacked out. So I don't know why you "assumed" that it would get that much worse for MLS, after doubling the price no less.

In any case, it's still worse than MLB, because MLB at least lets you watch games online if you're outside of the US & Canada. MLS MatchDay Live is blocked everywhere else in the world, even though MLS games aren't televised anywhere else. Check online, many TFC & MLS fans from around the world, who have been subscribing & watching Match Center for years, are pissed.

And I just think it's a stupid corporate decision anyway to block games online in "local" markets. To take a step backwards like that in 2010 is a joke. The way people are watching TV is evolving. More and more "TV" is now watched online. It's just down to the way they arrange their TV & online deals. Give people choices, even if you have to charge them more for it. People want to be able to watch things at work, or other places away from home, where it may be totally impossible to get cable or satellite TV. People want to watch on their iPhones & other mobile gadgets, etc.

I could live with $40 for MatchDay Live if it's as good as people say it is. Why don't they offer a $50 option which removes all local & international blocks? $10 extra should be enough to compensate for whatever impact it has on TV deals. Or a $30 single team, unlimited option? (I.e., you can watch only TFC games, but all games & from anywhere.) You wouldn't have many people sign up anyway, so it shouldn't make much difference.

Don't make life harder for your most committed fans. Anyway, most people will find ways around it, either by watching crappy free streams, or just not watching at all.

SteeltownBhoy
03-28-2010, 10:48 AM
I blame alot of this on Gol TV, ML$E pimping the station. This is not a regional sports network but a speciality channel that I don't even have access to. Also in Canada we don't have access to the national games on ESPN,ESPN2, FOX SOCCER CHANNEL, FOX SOCCER CHANNEL PLUS any of the Spannish Channels. Unless GOL TV decides to carry them. We where able to watch TFC away games last year on Matchcenter, it was great.

Thats why I plunked the $40 down, it was a great alternative to not having access to GOL TV!! And why can't I get Gol TV, my cable company says it isn't popular enough in my area, to bulid the network up to carry...SIGH.

So I'm fustrated!! The picture quality is exceptional, but I bought it for away TFC games that I cannot watch!! Decisions to make.

The Professor
03-28-2010, 11:56 AM
I emailed mlsmatchdaylive@neulion.com and asked them to cancel my subscription.

So did I, and they've already confirmed that they're refunding my money.

I should have read this thread before I signed up yesterday.:facepalm:

James17930
04-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Quick question (and I haven't read through the thread)

Can you still watch archived streams of each match? Or is it only live now?

Smokecell
04-14-2010, 09:00 PM
yeah there's archives too

polak9pete
04-15-2010, 09:59 AM
as of last weekend i was able to watch every single game live on the matchday thing so i guess they removed the ESPN, FSC and telefutura restrictions...the dc-philly game was on espnHD and the quality was so unreal on matchday same with the Tfc-ne game

SteeltownBhoy
04-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Yes, MLS finally listened when we complained that we don't get ESPN,FSC and TELAFUTURA in Canada, so they are not national broadcasts here. Now if we can only convince them that TFC away games should be available!! But I don't think they will bite!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Direct Kick..is it coming to canada anytime soon?

polak9pete
04-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Yes, MLS finally listened when we complained that we don't get ESPN,FSC and TELAFUTURA in Canada, so they are not national broadcasts here. Now if we can only convince them that TFC away games should be available!! But I don't think they will bite!!

they are available..all games are available.