PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Wednesday,Mar.03.

denime
03-03-2010, 06:26 AM
Mornin'

TFC's poor defending cause for concern (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2010/03/tfcs_poor_defending_cause_for.html)

Garber not worried (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/03/02/mls-labor-0/)

Preki Interview TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1641)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Wagner
03-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Good Morning D.

Is Garber just saying this to make sure people buy single game tickets?
How is he so sure that the players won't strike?
It sounded positive. I hope it is.

nascarguy
03-03-2010, 07:06 AM
( The Philadelphia Union plays at Seattle in the MLS opener on March 25 and Garber acknowledges that talks could go on until then.

"It's conceivable, but my expectation is not to be negotiating an agreement an hour before kickoff," Garber said. "I would describe these as big-league problems. Years ago we had nothing to fight about, so we didn't have labour issues.)

to this I say fuck you don & player's get a deal now or find a new job !!!

keem-o-sabi
03-03-2010, 08:21 AM
coed girls 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/03/02/miss-coed-wendy-cain/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/03/02/michelle-mayden-is-today%E2%80%99s-daily-snapshot/)

scooter
03-03-2010, 08:30 AM
mornin d

canadian_bhoy
03-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Good Morning D.

Is Garber just saying this to make sure people buy single game tickets?
How is he so sure that the players won't strike?
It sounded positive. I hope it is.

At first I thought "there's no way the players would strike, it would kill the league". But after thinking about it, how many players make nothing (how much did lombardo make 20k?) There isn't much job pressure to keep a lot of these guys for walking out.

arbogast
03-03-2010, 08:53 AM
( The Philadelphia Union plays at Seattle in the MLS opener on March 25 and Garber acknowledges that talks could go on until then.

"It's conceivable, but my expectation is not to be negotiating an agreement an hour before kickoff," Garber said. "I would describe these as big-league problems. Years ago we had nothing to fight about, so we didn't have labour issues.)

to this I say fuck you don & player's get a deal now or find a new job !!!

yeah big league problems...no shit. If the players win guaranteed contracts and freeagency rights, it would set a precedent in North American sports leagues, a precendent that say...the NFL who are staring at a lockout themselves would be loath to have to deal with. My guess is the league is sticking ot their guns cuz other sports leagues are applying pressure on them to hold the line.

Shaughno
03-03-2010, 08:53 AM
At first I thought "there's no way the players would strike, it would kill the league". But after thinking about it, how many players make nothing (how much did lombardo make 20k?) There isn't much job pressure to keep a lot of these guys for walking out.

Especially if they can make the same, or more in other leagues... even in the USL ffs.

Beach_Red
03-03-2010, 09:26 AM
yeah big league problems...no shit. If the players win guaranteed contracts and freeagency rights, it would set a precedent in North American sports leagues, a precendent that say...the NFL who are staring at a lockout themselves would be loath to have to deal with. My guess is the league is sticking ot their guns cuz other sports leagues are applying pressure on them to hold the line.

How many MLS owners also own teams in other leagues?

felipe
03-03-2010, 09:35 AM
I don't know...I'm sure the MLS does not even register with NFL players or owners; I don't think they give a hoot at what goes on - MLS is strictly minor league to them..I doubt they even care about the NHL labour practices either; even the rest of the big three have minimal impact on each other's labour practices - the idea that any other league is applying pressure to MLS owners to 'hold the line' is ridiculous

Steve
03-03-2010, 09:42 AM

Looking at the salaries from last year, about 31% of players make less than 40k (to be fair, only 11% make less than 30k). Yes, that's a large percentage, but, there are a lot of players making much more. For example, 50% of player make over 80k (40% over 100k). Those are the players who will not want to walk, since there is no way they can find another job (unless they're the top 5%) that will pay that much money, especially starting out, especially in this economy.

jaahuuu
03-03-2010, 10:23 AM
How many MLS owners also own teams in other leagues?
Chicago Fire - none
Columbus Crew/FC Dallas - Kansas City Chiefs
DC United - none
KC Wizards - a co-owner also owns the Sioux Falls Skyforce of the NBA Dev League
NE Revolution - NE Patriots
NYRB - none
Phil Union - none
TFC - Maple Leafs, Raptors, Marlies
Chivas - none
Colorado Rapids - Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, minority of St Louis Rams
Houston Dynamo/LA Galaxy - LA Kings, Ontario Reign (ECHL), Manchester Monarchs (AHL)
Real Salt Lake - St Louis Blues
SJ Earthquakes - none
Seattle Sounders - Seattle Seahawks, Portland Trailblazers

These are only the teams in the US/Canada.

Roogsy
03-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Looking at the salaries from last year, about 31% of players make less than 40k (to be fair, only 11% make less than 30k). Yes, that's a large percentage, but, there are a lot of players making much more. For example, 50% of player make over 80k (40% over 100k). Those are the players who will not want to walk, since there is no way they can find another job (unless they're the top 5%) that will pay that much money, especially starting out, especially in this economy.

If they are average players, sure.

If they are above-average players, they can certainly find teams in other countries that will take a look at them.

arbogast
03-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't know...I'm sure the MLS does not even register with NFL players or owners; I don't think they give a hoot at what goes on - MLS is strictly minor league to them..I doubt they even care about the NHL labour practices either; even the rest of the big three have minimal impact on each other's labour practices - the idea that any other league is applying pressure to MLS owners to 'hold the line' is ridiculous

Wrong, the NFL and NBA were all over Gary Bettman during the NHL lockout. All pro sports leagues have a vested interest in how the other's CBAs are negotiated. Lawyers use each one gainst each other in bargaining. Think for a second. if the players actually win those concessions, it will be huge and it will affect every league.

arbogast
03-03-2010, 10:30 AM

Nope, the it was reported that the NHL was under pressure from other leagues not to set the precedent of having a full season cancelled. The precedent of total free agency for players will have ramifications in every league in North America.

rocker
03-03-2010, 11:20 AM
SJ Earthquakes - none

The owner of the quakes is a co-owner of the Oakland Athletics.

denime
03-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Chicago Fire - none
DC United - none
KC Wizards - a co-owner also owns the Sioux Falls Skyforce of the NBA Dev League
NYRB - none
Phil Union - none
Chivas - none
Houston Dynamo/LA Galaxy - LA Kings, Ontario Reign (ECHL), Manchester Monarchs (AHL)
SJ Earthquakes - none

NYRB - and Red Bull Salzburg Austria

Colorado Rapids - Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, minority of St Louis Rams,and almost majority of Arsenal London

Whoop
03-03-2010, 12:52 PM
If they are average players, sure.

If they are above-average players, they can certainly find teams in other countries that will take a look at them.

Yeah, take a look at them but not necessarily take them on.

I would say there are only a handful of players at the moment that would garner any attention from the Big 4.

Really it's either MLS or go to Scandinavia.

trane
03-03-2010, 01:12 PM
"TFC's poor defending cause for concern (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2010/03/tfcs_poor_defending_cause_for.html)"

Are you sure this is not an April 2007 headline?

Oldtimer
03-03-2010, 01:27 PM
"TFC's poor defending cause for concern (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2010/03/tfcs_poor_defending_cause_for.html)"

Are you sure this is not an April 2007 headline?

It's an annual re-useable headline:

April 2007
April 2008
April 2009
March 2010

trane
03-03-2010, 01:35 PM
^ hahaha. I am laughing but it is more sad then funny.

jabbronies
03-03-2010, 01:40 PM
It's an annual re-useable headline:

April 2007
April 2008
April 2009
March 2010

yet people still say that it's not as important as bringing in more offensive minded players.

bgnewf
03-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Chicago Fire - none
DC United - none
NYRB - none
Phil Union - none
Chivas - none
SJ Earthquakes - none

The owner of the Colorado franchise also owns a significant chunk of Arsenal FC.

Beach_Red
03-03-2010, 01:50 PM

Colorado Rapids - Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, minority of St Louis Rams,and almost majority of Arsenal London

So, what we're going to see is a similarity in the way sports leagues are run because we're seeing so much common ownership. So, yes, what happens in tiny MLS negotiations does have farther-reaching effects.

jaahuuu
03-03-2010, 02:06 PM
The owner of the quakes is a co-owner of the Oakland Athletics.
Oops, I missed that one.

The owner of the Colorado franchise also owns a significant chunk of Arsenal FC.
I know, I said I only listed teams in the US and Canada because the discussion was about how the new CBA would effect owners in other North American leagues.

In addition to NY and Salzburg, Red Bull owns 2 Formula 1 teams, a NASCAR team, a 3rd tier soccer team in Brazil and a 5th tier team in Germany. Chivas's owner also has soccer teams in Mexico, Costa Rica and China. The Galaxy/Dynamo owner has 2 hockey teams in Germany, and a soccer team in Sweden.

[NBF]
03-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Chivas USA is owned by Chivas of Guadalajara, Mexico, is it not?