PDA

View Full Version : Canada Cup

bhoybobby
05-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Anyone care to hazard a guess on how well attended the CC games will be.

Just bought my tix given time constraints, I may pass them on to friend who haven't had the game day experience.

Lucky Strike
05-14-2008, 12:55 PM
I think they'll all sell out. Toronto and Montreal have excellent support (obviously) and Vancouver has a small stadium so they'll sell out too. :) Lame reason, but oh well... If Vancouver moves their home matches, then I'm not sure. At the risk of side-tracking the thread, I hope if they do move the CCL matches, it won't be to Commonwealth - that pitch as god awful.

bhoybobby
05-14-2008, 12:56 PM
I think they'll all sell out. Toronto and Montreal have excellent support (obviously) and Vancouver has a small stadium so they'll sell out too. :) Lame reason, but oh well... If Vancouver moves their home matches, then I'm not sure. At the risk of side-tracking the thread, I hope if they do move the CCL matches, it won't be to Commonwealth - that pitch as god awful.

I meant the games at BMO:D

werewolf
05-14-2008, 12:57 PM
I am somewhat skeptical since they are mid-week games. I think the attendance will be strong, but empty seats in the upper corners and random pairs elsewhere wouldn't surprise me.

stugautz
05-14-2008, 12:57 PM
I think we'll have a better idea after the on sale to red and gold waiting list members (for the games at BMO at least). I'm thinking it'll be a sellout here.

Lucky Strike
05-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Whoops... :)

BMO will sell out - I'm confident of that.

VPjr
05-14-2008, 01:00 PM
I bought my 2 pairs. I am looking forward to the two CC games more than some midseason fixture against KC or Chivas, that's for sure.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-14-2008, 01:07 PM
these game should be well attended....and should be very entertaining..

joelakeshore
05-14-2008, 01:10 PM
I think the fact that tickets are reserved for the waiting lists should ensure a sell out

Leprechaun
05-14-2008, 01:11 PM
The games should sell out. I am just as nervous for the Canada Cup right now then regular games to be honest. It would fucken suck to lose to USL teams.

andyc
05-14-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm not happy...

I have 3 season tickets in section 106 row 6 and I attend with my two sons aged 8 and 10. These are fairly expensive seats but it's offset by the fact that my kids tickets are at youth prices and have about a 50% discount.

I just went to account manager to buy my seats and I find out that that not only are these tickets at regular MLS prices, there are also no youth discounts applied. I figured that this was probably a mistake so I just called my rep and he confirmed that there are no youth discounts for the Canada Cup

This is a complete rip-off. I wasn't happy with full MLS pricing but taking away the youth pricing has added $100 to the bill for 2 games.

I guess that I'm telling my kids tonight that we're not going to see Vancouver and Montreal... Great way to build a fam base for the future... NOT!

VPjr
05-14-2008, 01:31 PM
^ Personally, I think the pricing for the Canada Cup matches are reasonable. I dont differentiate between playing Whitecaps and Impact or playing RSL or San Jose. there is not that much of a difference in quality between USL1 and MLS. MLS is better, but not by that much in my opinion.

I am actually more excited to play the Canadian teams than about 50% of the teams in MLS, to be quite honest so paying full price for my CC tickets doesn't bother me a bit.

werewolf
05-14-2008, 01:34 PM
It might be easier to accept the ticket prices if the other two cities weren't so reasonable.

andyc
05-14-2008, 01:37 PM
^ Personally, I think the pricing for the Canada Cup matches are reasonable. I dont differentiate between playing Whitecaps and Impact or playing RSL or San Jose. there is not that much of a difference in quality between USL1 and MLS. MLS is better, but not by that much in my opinion.

I'd got my head around paying MLS prices - I just can't swallow paying double for my kids... $300 for the Canada Cup is a step too far....

Niall
05-14-2008, 01:37 PM
I bought my 5 in 112, haven't been able to see them in my print tickets option yet...and they didn't have the option of splitting up the 5 tickets or the seperate games. Am confused as to why this wasn't an option.

Anyway these midweek games will be the death of my liver...and maybe my career.

VPjr
05-14-2008, 02:01 PM
I'd got my head around paying MLS prices - I just can't swallow paying double for my kids... $300 for the Canada Cup is a step too far....

I wont argue that $300 for 6 tickets (3 tickets per game x 2 games) isn't cheap but these aren't part of our season's ticket packages so we ought not expect that the terms of sale would be identical.

The reality is that if you don't take them, there are hundreds / thousands of people who will jump at them. Its too bad you and your kids wont be there but whoever gets your tickets will be happy you opted out, I'm sure.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Dude, You'll be paying like $50 per ticket...And your sitting in 106 6 rows up!! Quit your fucking crying!!!

Dave67
05-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Well I'm going to guess about 12 - 13K in actual attendance. Something tells me they overpriced this.

bhoybobby
05-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Well I'm going to guess about 12 - 13K in actual attendance. Something tells me they overpriced this.

I think it's fairly priced for what it is. I'm expecting a sell out with a whole bunch of 1st timers present & that's a good thing.

I hope SSTH get a chance to buy more

kshep
05-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Sellouts.. every match in all 3 stadiums.

deltox
05-14-2008, 04:37 PM
im not sure about this.

some part of me agrees that there may be more than 17,000 people at the game but we want these fans to be rowdy fans that know chants and know the team.

people that have never been to the game.....sure thats great for them and merchandise and stuff but i want those games to be the toughest games for the other teams.

these are must win games

Wighty
05-14-2008, 04:50 PM
These games should give a good indication of how popular TFC really is. That being said, I doubt it will be a sell out (I hope I'm wrong though).

Fort York Redcoat
05-14-2008, 05:32 PM
I think that it might not sellout since many fans (not here) don't know the signifigance of them...Which is fine with me so I get my bloody tix.

graeme117
05-14-2008, 05:52 PM
off the topic slightly, but has there been any word on away support? i know Rudi from U-Sector has always held that their (Montreal's) support is more soccer mommish, but i'm assuming they have some supports groups still?

Red CB Toronto
05-14-2008, 05:52 PM
I think it will sell out only because i think all the tickets will find a home one way or another, even if a season ticket holder decided they can not go they seem to be offering them to anyone who wants them for cost, I got my pair to both that way, I also picked up some more for my brother. I think these games might introduce some newbies to the TFC in-stadium experience which is not all that bad.

London
05-14-2008, 05:55 PM
who wouldnt go??

sell out for sure!!!

andyc
05-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Dude, You'll be paying like $50 per ticket...And your sitting in 106 6 rows up!! Quit your fucking crying!!!

Paying 50% more for the same seats against fucking inferior teams - What would you do? Yeah I definitely feel like fucking crying... I'm wondering what they plan to do at renewal time...

This event is overpriced for sure. Montreal are charging something like $30 for best seats. Same for Vancouver. Same for other MLS teams.

If I'm gonna get ass raped I'm gonna cry about it...

ilikemusic
05-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Paying 50% more for the same seats against fucking inferior teams - What would you do? Yeah I definitely feel like fucking crying... I'm wondering what they plan to do at renewal time...

This event is overpriced for sure. Montreal are charging something like $30 for best seats. Same for Vancouver. Same for other MLS teams.

If I'm gonna get ass raped I'm gonna cry about it...

I fully agree with you. Its as if the people who replied to you didnt read that your kid's prices were twice the normal price for these games, which is absolute bullshit.

I dont take a real issue with the standard pricing for these games, but removing the youth discount for these games is absolutely unjustifiable.

andyc
05-14-2008, 08:42 PM
I wont argue that $300 for 6 tickets (3 tickets per game x 2 games) isn't cheap but these aren't part of our season's ticket packages so we ought not expect that the terms of sale would be identical.

The reality is that if you don't take them, there are hundreds / thousands of people who will jump at them. Its too bad you and your kids wont be there but whoever gets your tickets will be happy you opted out, I'm sure.

Identical maybe not but a 50% increase above MLS games is gouging for sure....

Come renewal time if they get rid of youth seats that's quite a bump in revenue. Not exactly building for the future....

I know most people on here couldn't give a shit about youth ticket prices, but think a few years forward... Eventually most of you will have kids. It's a great experience to bring you kids to a game believe me. Do you think you'll want to sit in the supporters section?? Maybe?? Maybe not?? If you can get them.... Then if you end up in the more expensive seats and you're buying 3 or 4 tickets and there are no concessions... Same goes for grandkids...

camcamy
05-14-2008, 09:46 PM
They'll definately sell out but the only thing that worries me is that we season ticketholders only get a week before General Public. I know we got an email but even if 50-500 people miss out thats gonna leave alot of fans pissed.

Cashcleaner
05-14-2008, 09:54 PM
I think that it might not sellout since many fans (not here) don't know the significance of them...Which is fine with me so I get my bloody tix.

I think, unfortunately, you're very right with that assumption. I've been trying to drum up support for the matches at work with the other football fans, but nobody cares enough about CONCACAF to watch one of the qualifier games. I do admit that scheduling the games mid-week doesn't help, but I'm looking at the whole thing as the most important pro soccer games we've had in about 30 years.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-14-2008, 10:04 PM
I think, unfortunately, you're very right with that assumption. I've been trying to drum up support for the matches at work with the other football fans, but nobody cares enough about CONCACAF to watch one of the qualifier games. I do admit that scheduling the games mid-week doesn't help, but I'm looking at the whole thing as the most important pro soccer games we've had in about 30 years.

im sure next year they will have more weekend games, but for now lets enjoy it.. this should be something positive for canadian soccer.

VPjr
05-15-2008, 05:45 AM

Come renewal time if they get rid of youth seats that's quite a bump in revenue. Not exactly building for the future....

I know most people on here couldn't give a shit about youth ticket prices, but think a few years forward... Eventually most of you will have kids. It's a great experience to bring you kids to a game believe me. Do you think you'll want to sit in the supporters section?? Maybe?? Maybe not?? If you can get them.... Then if you end up in the more expensive seats and you're buying 3 or 4 tickets and there are no concessions... Same goes for grandkids...

I've got 3 kids. i chose not to buy youth priced tickets because i want the option of taking the kids now and then but mostly i want to take my adult friends. I've brought my oldest boy to 2 games (it was nice but I prefer to go with my buddies so I can be a bit more "vocal" if you know what i mean). I'm bringing my 3 year old on Saturday but I'll be using my seats in 221 rather than 117 for that game because the Supporters Section is not quite 3 year old friendly and I'm not the type to ask people to tone down their language because I choose to bring a kid to the game. 221 is a bit more tame and so that's where we'll be for that game. It will be fun (he knows a few chants and can't wait to sing them) but still not as much fun for me as when I go with adults, especially because I don't have to go to the washroom with my buddies.

i fully expect youth pricing to go away in short order. TFC is leaving money on the table and there is no lack of demand for full priced tickets. MLSE is not a company known for leaving money on the table. They don't offer youth prices for any other property (other than the Marlies probably) and I don't expect it to continue with TFC. It sucks for you but I doubt it will keep people from bringing kids to matches in a significant way.

RealG-TFC
05-15-2008, 05:54 AM
Can't wait for this! BTW, I'm pretty sure all the Central American and Caribbean teams will have qualified by May (except for Nicaragua).

Can't wait for TFC to hold that trophy up high!

Red CB Toronto
05-15-2008, 05:54 AM
I am currious what type of discount do you get for your youth tickets and do you have the option to upgrade them to adult status if you want to bring a buddy instead.

RedsYNWA
05-15-2008, 07:03 AM
I am looking forward to this much more than a San Jose/Chivas/RSL etc game
For the first time in History TFC will be a favourite

ensco
05-15-2008, 07:15 AM
This is where I don't understand what's going on with the FO.

The league games are sold out....so the FO should be marketing/promoting the games they actually have tickets to sell for, which means....set a start time for these games, and get going earlier than 6 weeks before the game!

Red CB Toronto
05-15-2008, 07:52 AM
I would think that the percentage of season ticket holders picking up their tickets for the Vancouver and Montreal games would be close to 100%, the prices are not that bad unless you have mid field type seats, if you can not go just simply pass them on, I am sure finding someone to pick them up would not be that hard.

I am kind of surprised that STH's are not forced to buy these, hockey and basketbakk fans normally have to buy everything from pre-season, regular season and the playoffs if your team makes it that far.

stugautz
05-15-2008, 08:31 AM
This is where I don't understand what's going on with the FO.

The league games are sold out....so the FO should be marketing/promoting the games they actually have tickets to sell for, which means....set a start time for these games, and get going earlier than 6 weeks before the game!

The onsale for single game tickets didn't happen until AFTER the season started either. It seems the promotions department is chronically behind schedule. I think they use the same people as the CSA.

nobuzz
05-15-2008, 09:04 AM
I think I'm a little anxious, I was sitting there refreshing the page waiting for tickets to come up and then realized that - hey you can't get tickets until next week dummy, it's not the 22nd yet.

egoodwin
05-15-2008, 09:05 AM
I think I'm a little anxious, I was sitting there refreshing the page waiting for tickets to come up and then realized that - hey you can't get tickets until next week dummy, it's not the 22nd yet.
damn, did same too

andyc
05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
I am currious what type of discount do you get for your youth tickets and do you have the option to upgrade them to adult status if you want to bring a buddy instead.

It was a good deal - 50% off. You can upgrade your tickets at the box office prior to the game.

rocker
05-15-2008, 11:55 AM
i think the games at BMO will be close to a sellout. the only thing keeping them from being a guaranteed sellout might be that one game is a midweek workday (other is a holiday, so i don't see any probs there unless everyone leaves for the cottage).
But to counteract that, they require you to buy both seats (if yer a STH) so
that locks you in to both.
Given the massive waiting list, i think it's pretty certain this thing will be well attended. And it gives a chance for people who haven't been to games yet to see more TFC. i agree with VPjr that I'm actually more interested in this than seeing some MLS teams. I think I'll be honestly very nervous at these games because I can't stand to see Montreal or Vanny get any bragging rights. And it's not a friendly, it matters.
I don't think I'd feel that way watching TFC vs San Jose or Colorado in the regular season. I wanna see TFC destroy Montreal and Vanny. DESTROY!

graeme117
05-15-2008, 08:14 PM
does anyone have the t.v. rights for this? if not then the blackout should help numbers too

ManUtd4ever
05-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Based on Canada's record setting attendance figures for last year's FIFA U-20 World Cup matches across the country, I have no doubt that all 6 matches will sell out in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver...

nfitz
05-16-2008, 12:36 AM
does anyone have the t.v. rights for this? if not then the blackout should help numbers tooCBC. They've currently got it scheduled for tape delay at midnight, because Game 1 of the Stanley Cup final is currently scheduled for 7:30 pm.

Rudi
05-16-2008, 01:00 AM
off the topic slightly, but has there been any word on away support? i know Rudi from U-Sector has always held that their (Montreal's) support is more soccer mommish, but i'm assuming they have some supports groups still?
The vast majority of Montreal's crowd is soccer mommish, which many here will see for themselves on May 27.

That said, UM02 (Ultras Montréal) travels pretty well for their size. I wouldn't be surprised to see 20-30 of them here, although the weeknight thing might dampen even such a small number.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-16-2008, 01:20 AM

YES! alllrright then, so i take it your not renewing??

Look i really really feel for you, seriously i really do!

At the same time...stop crying. Nobody is putting a gun to yer'head and forcing to you to buy anything...

The prices for the Canada Cup are very reasonable!

TFCREDNWHITE
05-16-2008, 01:22 AM
I've got 3 kids. i chose not to buy youth priced tickets because i want the option of taking the kids now and then but mostly i want to take my adult friends. I've brought my oldest boy to 2 games (it was nice but I prefer to go with my buddies so I can be a bit more "vocal" if you know what i mean). I'm bringing my 3 year old on Saturday but I'll be using my seats in 221 rather than 117 for that game because the Supporters Section is not quite 3 year old friendly and I'm not the type to ask people to tone down their language because I choose to bring a kid to the game. 221 is a bit more tame and so that's where we'll be for that game. It will be fun (he knows a few chants and can't wait to sing them) but still not as much fun for me as when I go with adults, especially because I don't have to go to the washroom with my buddies.

i fully expect youth pricing to go away in short order. TFC is leaving money on the table and there is no lack of demand for full priced tickets. MLSE is not a company known for leaving money on the table. They don't offer youth prices for any other property (other than the Marlies probably) and I don't expect it to continue with TFC. It sucks for you but I doubt it will keep people from bringing kids to matches in a significant way.

Well Said! :):):)

king10
05-16-2008, 06:54 AM
all games sold out.. prices are very reasonable.. i was expecting something much higher and mlse could have bumped up the prices much more

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Mid week games are the norm in Europe and elsewhere for these competitions. Hence European nights. It's just a case of people not seeing the implications of playing international rivals as they do in Uefa cup and Copa Libertadores. You might not have seen the competition but you should know that beating them leads to playing the best in the world. I know I'm not alone in that I didn't credit or care for MLS before we got a team in the league. This could be an honour to be at the first stage of a tournament that takes us around the world vs around America. To win something that is bigger than the league...I hope it's not sold out yet...

bhoybobby
05-16-2008, 11:46 AM
does anyone have the t.v. rights for this? if not then the blackout should help numbers too

T.V blackouts destroy the brand long term.

The CFL did this ain the 80's & lost an entire generation of fans. We should never depend on blackouts to fill our house.

The day that happens TFC is in trouble.

dantdot
05-16-2008, 01:46 PM
I was just looking at the prices again and they seem to have been lowered? Maybe I'm crazy. http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/tickets/2008/canada_cup/map/

rocker
05-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I was just looking at the prices again and they seem to have been lowered? Maybe I'm crazy. http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/tickets/2008/canada_cup/map/

now they are showing it as per ticket per game... same prices just individual seats. before the prices were shown as 1 seat for 2 games and then there was fineprint saying it was 2 games.. probably some confusion (as we saw on the boards) led to the change in the chart.