PDA

View Full Version : Carl Robinson?

jloome
03-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Any info? Did I miss something saying he's injured, or something? Seemed like he wasn't involved in Florida.

Blizzard
03-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Any info? Did I miss something saying he's injured, or something? Seemed like he wasn't involved in Florida.

Perhaps that long rumoured transfer to RBNY is not too far away. He does certainly appear to be out of the Preki picture and I've not heard anything about any injury.

Thanks for the memories Carl.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-02-2010, 12:05 AM
could be they were just trying out the trialists.
but yeah i do believe hes prob gone

westrouge
03-02-2010, 12:47 AM
I saw Carl get off the plane with the rest of TFC from Florida. He is definitely still with the team.

nimamalek
03-02-2010, 01:21 AM
I only saw him play CB in a couple of games but he was 10 times better then Garcia, I wonder why he is so against moving back to CB when we are so desperate for a CB and he would rather stay here then leave

Super
03-02-2010, 01:31 AM
I only saw him play CB in a couple of games but he was 10 times better then Garcia, I wonder why he is so against moving back to CB when we are so desperate for a CB and he would rather stay here then leave

I would LOVE for him to stay and take on the role of CB. He's definitely miles better than Garcia, but I understand why he wouldn't want to finish his career playing out of position. Shame, really.

Derko
03-02-2010, 05:38 AM
I also would like to see Robbo stay with TFC. He had a bad year last season.But then again so did TFC as a whole, have a bad year.imo

canadian_bhoy
03-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Sounds like Robbo has a case of fukedwithjohnstonitis. The only remedy is a one-way ticket out of town courtesy of Dr. Mo

FluSH
03-02-2010, 07:58 AM
I saw Carl get off the plane with the rest of TFC from Florida. He is definitely still with the team.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Oldtimer
03-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Don't read too much into the first pre-season matches. Preki's experimenting. Robbo can only play one position and Preki already knows how he plays from watching him against Chivas.

Will he be gone? Maybe. But looking at early preseason rosters is no way to tell one way or another.

mastermixer
03-02-2010, 08:15 AM
yeah... saw Robbo in a couple of the TFC TV clips training in Florida. I guess they know what he brings, prob wanna see what the trialists have to offer.

Nuvinho
03-02-2010, 08:20 AM
I also notice that Ibbe hasn't got any playing time.

kelzag
03-02-2010, 08:35 AM
The FO will be so disappointed that someone noticed Robbo wasn't playing. He's also ironically missing from TFCtv clips and interviews.

Guess this is how they treat two-time MVP's. Classy.

koryo
03-02-2010, 08:37 AM
But if he leaves, it won't be because he walked out on the team.

kelzag
03-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Robbo loved Toronto and wanted to finish his career here. His family as well. Fact.

canadian_bhoy
03-02-2010, 08:43 AM
What does this say about Preki's control of the team? I Mean, the rift between Mo and Robbo is before Preki's time - you'd think that as coach he would be the one making the roster decisions.

koryo
03-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Robbo loved Toronto and wanted to finish his career here. His family as well. Fact.

and the grass is green, the sky is blue and I'm sure your forum is discussing this as well.

Point is he's the latest Johnston casualty, which is a damn shame.

Section 117
03-02-2010, 08:47 AM
I think before we all jump to conclusions let's wait and see what happens in Charleston.

This portion of the preseason is to get back into shape and test the trialist more than anything. In the event we don't see Robbo get significant minutes in the Charleston cup then it would be safe to assume that he is done or at best a 300K bench warmer

canadian_bhoy
03-02-2010, 08:48 AM
and the grass is green, the sky is blue and I'm sure your forum is discussing this as well.

I think that pretty much sums it up perfectly.

Phil
03-02-2010, 08:48 AM
There are a few midfielders on the team and his salary is up there for MLS. I think these are reasons a guy like Preki might be looking at a move with him.

The issue with Mo, weather there or not would just be added incentive.

I personally would prefer he stay with the team, I would love to see him be able to enjoy the grass and get back to some proper slide tackles.

koryo
03-02-2010, 08:49 AM
I'd like nothing more than for him to stay and re-invent himself as a centre back.

He'd be quite an upgrade from Garcia.

Section 117
03-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Robbo is a great guy off the pitch and above average player on the pitch. He had a rough year last year he will bounce back hopefullty with TFC if not where he goes he would be a fine addition to that team.

On a side note Preki doesn't like players that make a lot of money he would preffer to have a players that make $150k max that fit his system and that are interchangable . Not players making a lot of money by MLS standards. From my understanding there a bunch of players Preki wants to get rid of but the problem is that the players all have guarenteed contracts.

koryo
03-02-2010, 08:55 AM
From my understanding there a bunch of players Preki wants to get rid of but the problem is that the players all have guarenteed contracts.

I can only hope that's the sole reason Garcia is still here.

Nuvinho
03-02-2010, 09:14 AM
From my understanding there a bunch of players Preki wants to get rid of but the problem is that the players all have guarenteed contracts.

Garcia, Robbo, Jimmy B, Gerba ???

CoachGT
03-02-2010, 09:22 AM
He hasn't posted his County Times blog since Feb 8th, where he comments that he is impressed with Preki's winning attitude.

But I gotta believe he's still there - there's been no announcement of any kind to the contrary.

Section 117
03-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Garcia, Robbo, Jimmy B, Gerba ???

I was never really given any specifics about actual players. I can imagine that your list is probably accurate I don't know for sure

arbogast
03-02-2010, 09:45 AM
I was never really given any specifics about actual players. I can imagine that your list is probably accurate I don't know for sure

First, Jimmy was resigned to a 1 year deal after Preki was brought in, so I doubt he's one of them, Robbo, Garcia and Gerba are both on big guaranteed contracts. I find it interesting that Robbo declined interviews at media day and hasn't had any playing time in the pre season, so my guess is he's the first out the door if they can swing it. Anyone know if Chad's deal in guaranteed?

TFC Tifoso
03-02-2010, 09:48 AM
the way Robbo is getting treated is terrible......if they want to trim the fat, the line starts way before Robbo on this team....

internet tough guys.....they're faaaaantastic!

Section 117
03-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Yes, Chad's deal is guarenteed. Also, I know that Preki has admired him and tried to get him when he was coaching Chivas

Derko
03-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I'd rather Robbo stay and that fat, slow, tub of lard Gerba go, and everyone called Colin Samuel the Pie Man, Gerba is the new 'Pork Pie Man'.

Seriously though, I think Robbo has and can contribute more than most believe.

Hitcho
03-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Robbo is a great player in MLS terms. He was played out of his nromal role last season whcih is why he looked so shaky at times. His game is not about getting forward or spraying 30 yard passes aaround. All of a sudden we saw him doing that last season. I doubt at this stage of his career he decided to try something different and keep trying ti even though it wasn't working, so I blame the coaching instructions for that. If Preki plays him as a stable DCM who breaks up play and then plays short, simple passes to get us going again then he'll go back to being quietly anonymous and very effective, a la seasons 1 and 2. This will also allow De Guz to play a more attacking role and dictate play along with De Ro. I'd hate to see De Guz stuck in a defensive role with his ability - that would be a terrible waste of our DP slot.

Plus, Robbo adds great experience (within TFC and internationally), brings much needed stability to the squad and team and is a good figure for the younger guys (like Cronin) to go to and learn from - same as Jimmy B.

Section 117
03-02-2010, 12:11 PM
If Robbo is getting screwed the same way Danny he got screwed, I bet you word is getting out that our FO is a joke and I bet you as long as Mo is around we won't be signing any quality players unless they have the same agent as Mo

Just my 2 cents

Hitcho
03-02-2010, 12:19 PM
^ I think there's a general feeling that you might be right 117.

If TFC is really going to make progress and move on then they need to can Mo asap. he's got way too much baggage to stay on any longer than he already has.

TFC Tifoso
03-02-2010, 12:25 PM
I've had this thinking that the team is going nowhere as long as Mo is pushing the buttons since late in the '08 season....but don't dare you criticize FO...ya know, you'll be accused of walking out on your team.....

Why try to make a voice heard when you can tell the water cooler all of your problems, or bitch on here.

rocker
03-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Robbo fell off a lot last year though. Loved him in year 1 and 2, but year 3 he started to lose it. If he wants to play CB, that would be better than what we got. But he's overpaid in MLS terms and on the downside, I think. Good guy tho.

Oldtimer
03-02-2010, 01:19 PM
If TFC is really going to make progress and move on then they need to can Mo asap. he's got way too much baggage to stay on any longer than he already has.

+1

Maybe give him a couple of games to see if Preki makes enough of a difference, if not chant MO MUST GO at the end of every losing effort.

scooter
03-02-2010, 01:22 PM
hope this speculation is wrong cause i would hate to see carl go anywhere
he is a gent and a big part of our team
i agree last year he was a bit lacklustre ok maybe a lot
taking sentiment out of the picture if he can help out in the back i hope they give him a chance to stay with the team

Blizzard
03-02-2010, 01:34 PM

I don't believe that for a second. If Preki wants Carl on the team, Carl will be on the team.

MUFC_Niagara
03-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Preki = Another Mo "yes" man. I am now firmly in the camp that as long as Mo is here....we will never has success.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Preki = Another Mo "yes" man.

what proof do you have of this?
what power does preki have in getting rid of Mo, especially having just been signed?
Im holding back in saying your statement is a bit farfetched

Beach_Red
03-02-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't believe that for a second. If Preki wants Carl on the team, Carl will be on the team.

Yes, but what if Preki doesn't want him on the team?

MUFC_Niagara
03-02-2010, 04:02 PM
what proof do you have of this?
what power does preki have in getting rid of Mo, especially having just been signed?
Im holding back in saying your statement is a bit farfetched

You're right, I have nothing to base it on except Mo's track record in pushing out anyone who doesn't agree with him (see Carver and Cummins), and the players hating him for "his way or the highway approach." Based on his previous short history with this club, I am fairly certain that Preki was hired as "Mo's guy" just as Nick Garcia ws brought in against Cummins wishes as "Mo's guy."

Section 117
03-02-2010, 04:20 PM
TFC Niagra - From all accounts I have heard that Preki is not a yes man to Mo. He has complete authority over selection of the line up to players and to my understanding he has final say on players coming and players leaving.

Also, on a side note Garcia was the player that had to be included in the trade for Gerba's rights with San Jose

olegunnar
03-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Preki = Another Mo "yes" man. I am now firmly in the camp that as long as Mo is here....we will never has success.

While I agree that Mo should be shown the door....I think it's a bit early to label Preki as a yes man....especially considering Mo's put together a roster with so many unmoveable players.

Who would want Gerba or Garcia or Barrett etc. underperforming players on guarenteed contracts. We either eat their contracts or have to keep them.

Beach_Red
03-02-2010, 04:24 PM
TFC Niagra - From all accounts I have heard that Preki is not a yes man to Mo. He has complete authority over selection of the line up to players and to my understanding he has final say on players coming and players leaving.

Also, on a side note Garcia was the player that had to be included in the trade for Gerba's rights with San Jose

Maybe Mo should have traded himself to San Jose for Yallop.

MUFC_Niagara
03-02-2010, 04:31 PM

We had other options on San Jose's roster to choose from. Also, the fact he is still playing on this roster leads to more speculation. If we can't move him, then bench him and have Robbo play back there.

Section 117
03-02-2010, 04:45 PM
I doubt that we did for all of Mo's great ability to fleece teams in a trade this one we got screwed. We took on a useless CB who is over paid and got the rights to Fat Bastard 2 I mean Ali Gerba. Who we over paid and from my understanding is not the most well like person in the locker.

So in summary Mo trade allocation money for a fat player and useless player. who both are not general well received in the locker room... Well done Mo

Blizzard
03-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Yes, but what if Preki doesn't want him on the team?

My point was that this is not strictly a MoJo thing (which is what I was responding to). Even if MoJo wanted to get rid of Carl, if Preki really wanted him to stay with TFC, he would stay with TFC.

If Preki doesn't want him, it's Mo's task to move him .... if he can .... at that salary.

Personally, I'd like to see Carl at CB and have been saying so for two years ..... but I think it now may be too late for all of that.

MUFC_Niagara
03-02-2010, 05:20 PM
What does this say about Preki's control of the team? I Mean, the rift between Mo and Robbo is before Preki's time - you'd think that as coach he would be the one making the roster decisions.

You'd think.....this is NORMALLY how its done. Not so with TFC, apparently.

westrouge
03-02-2010, 05:23 PM
You'd think.....this is NORMALLY how its done. Not so with TFC, apparently.

I wouldn't say this is normally how it's done. I think it depends on the team and the individuals involved. Sir Alex obviously has immense control on who he selects, while someone like Paul Mariner at Plymouth does not.

Davenport
03-02-2010, 05:28 PM
It would def. be worth giving Robbo a shot at sweeper.
He's lost a bit of pace, but he reads the game very well and can pass, head and tackle.
Plus he's better when he's facing the play rather than when he has his back to it.

Phil
03-02-2010, 05:30 PM
We had other options on San Jose's roster to choose from. Also, the fact he is still playing on this roster leads to more speculation. If we can't move him, then bench him and have Robbo play back there.

Wow, sometimes we have short memories.

Garcia was a salary dump by San Jose and the cornerstone of the deal as reports at the time said. If we wanted Gerba we had to take Garcia too.

Garcia is on a guaranteed contract so he counts against the cap no matter if he is on the bench or on the field. We need to move him on a deal to get him off the books.

Davenport
03-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Jerry Garcia would be more bloody use than this tosser........

Canada72
03-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Jerry Garcia would be more bloody use than this tosser........

And Jerry has been gone for 15 years :(

v00d00daddy
03-02-2010, 10:57 PM
So this thread is now about how much Mo sucks...and how much Garcia sucks...and how much of a "yes man" Preki is.

What happened to talking about Robbo?

Nevermind....Robbo should be TFC's next sweeper/CB...well on his way to being MVP again. What a deal at 300k a season. But lets get back to talking about how bad Garcia is.

:)

Very funny.

MUFC_Niagara
03-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Wow, sometimes we have short memories.

Garcia was a salary dump by San Jose and the cornerstone of the deal as reports at the time said. If we wanted Gerba we had to take Garcia too.

Garcia is on a guaranteed contract so he counts against the cap no matter if he is on the bench or on the field. We need to move him on a deal to get him off the books.

Rooney, my comment about having other options is correct. If I recall Gerba wanted out of San Jose anyway and as such we could have asked for something other than Garcia. So saying if we wanted Gerba we had to take Garcia isn't entirely correct.

Also, to relate this back to the thread at hand. If we have to pay Garcia then we might as well sit him because he's shit. I'd rather play Robbo at CB.

v00d00daddy
03-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Also, to relate this back to the thread at hand. If we have to pay Garcia then we might as well sit him because he's shit. I'd rather play Robbo at CB.

So the solution to all of this is to tie up nearly 600 thousand dollars (more than a quarter of our salary budget) at one CB position because we hate Garcia and absolutely MUST find a place for Robinson?

This is insanity.

I have an idea. Why not get rid of both of them and use the almost 600 thousand dollars on better players?

I know it's nuts but it just might work.

If Garcia is guaranteed then we're screwed. Even MORE reason to get rid of Robbo and his ridiculous salary.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-02-2010, 11:39 PM
feeling absolutely certain that Garcia has a guaranteed contract

ag futbol
03-02-2010, 11:50 PM
feeling absolutely certain that Garcia has a guaranteed contract
The same would appear to be true for Robinson. That being said, while i have quite the sinking feeling, i'll reserve judgement until the season starts.

Time to explore trading some of the other parts of our roster. Is Cronin-JDG really the pairing we want at CM? if not, then Cronin would be looking at the bench despite being far too good for it. Probably our most realistic trade bait at this point. I know Frei's name comes up a lot but that it practical insanity. Easy to forget how many times this guy saves us in a game with our matador backline.

MUFC_Niagara
03-02-2010, 11:58 PM
So the solution to all of this is to tie up nearly 600 thousand dollars (more than a quarter of our salary budget) at one CB position because we hate Garcia and absolutely MUST find a place for Robinson?

This is insanity.

I have an idea. Why not get rid of both of them and use the almost 600 thousand dollars on better players?

I know it's nuts but it just might work.

If Garcia is guaranteed then we're screwed. Even MORE reason to get rid of Robbo and his ridiculous salary.

And at this point who do you presume we could bring in at CB? It's not because we hate Garcia.....it's because he is terrible, beyond useless. I agree Robbo is overpaid at this point but maybe if we can negotiate a pay decrease for him to say? Anyway, i'll wait for your potential CB recruits.

Stryker
03-03-2010, 12:14 AM
I think alot of you are are so upset with the idea that bad man Mo is getting rid of nice guy Robinson that you're not thinking straight.
Robo was horrid with his passes last year, constantly turning the ball over.
He can't handle being pressured and being another year older he'll have lost another step.
At this for the bargain basement price of 300 grand???
And let us not forget that we have DM's Cronin, De Guzman and Sanyang for a sub.

Sorry but IMHO losing Robinson would be a blessing.

Derko
03-03-2010, 05:44 AM
I think alot of you are are so upset with the idea that bad man Mo is getting rid of nice guy Robinson that you're not thinking straight.
Robo was horrid with his passes last year, constantly turning the ball over.
He can't handle being pressured and being another year older he'll have lost another step.
At this for the bargain basement price of 300 grand???
And let us not forget that we have DM's Cronin, De Guzman and Sanyang for a sub.

Sorry but IMHO losing Robinson would be a blessing.

I believe I said that Robbo did have a bad year last season and can and would bring more to TFC than alot give him credit for, I never said Bad Man Mo getting rid of a good guy Robinson. I would hate too see him go, perhaps take a pay cut. :scarf:

Steve
03-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Robbo is a great guy off the pitch and above average player on the pitch. He had a rough year last year he will bounce back hopefullty with TFC if not where he goes he would be a fine addition to that team.

On a side note Preki doesn't like players that make a lot of money he would preffer to have a players that make $150k max that fit his system and that are interchangable . Not players making a lot of money by MLS standards. From my understanding there a bunch of players Preki wants to get rid of but the problem is that the players all have guarenteed contracts.

This seems to be very true from what Preki has said. In his most recent interview, when asked about DeRo and DeGuzman (being, you know, our two highest paid players) he said that they were just members of the team, and he expected good things from the team itself. That certainly lends credence to the argument that Preki doesn't like star players (remember him and Guevara?). Maybe Preki has a good system, but he doesn't like that system to rely on one or two players, so he's probably a little pissed he's burdened with so many high contracts.

Personally? I know Robinson has been great for us, and is a nice bloke, but for 300k dollars, we may not be able to afford him (considering the other money we spend at CM). Sure, I'm fine with using him as CB, but is 300k really worth it for a CB?

Shaughno
03-03-2010, 10:18 AM
IMO, no. $300k is too much for a defender unless they have some serious pedigree at that position. If he was to take a pay cut, I'd have no problem keeping Robbo around.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-03-2010, 10:19 AM
it might be if it was someone playing their natural position, in this case, hes not a natural CB and thats too much to be paying him to play him out of position

v00d00daddy
03-03-2010, 10:19 AM
And at this point who do you presume we could bring in at CB? It's not because we hate Garcia.....it's because he is terrible, beyond useless. I agree Robbo is overpaid at this point but maybe if we can negotiate a pay decrease for him to say? Anyway, i'll wait for your potential CB recruits.

If Robbo agrees to play for half of what he has played for in the past, then yeah, I'm in. Sign him up.

As for the CB recruits.....I could give you names but they would probably not make any sense because I have no idea who is avaialable AND wants to play for TFC.

That being said, its not my job to figure out who the next CB will be. All I'm doing is commenting on what we have in place now, and what we have is a really bad CB in Garcia and a mediocre/overpaid holding mid in Robbo. Not to mention the fact that TFC signed a DP to play Robbo's position and drafted a guy in Cronin, who is more than capable to do the same.

It makes no sense to keep Robbo at his price. It makes even less sense to move him to a position that he has very little experience playing.

So the solution becomes-fill one problem spot with a guy from another problem spot?

Why don't we just move Chad Barrett to left back while we're at it? ........:)

Shaughno
03-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Actually v00d00, Robbo has played CB more than a few times in his career, including for his country and past teams like Norwich.

Roogsy
03-03-2010, 10:32 AM
IMO, no. $300k is too much for a defender unless they have some serious pedigree at that position. If he was to take a pay cut, I'd have no problem keeping Robbo around.

I'd have to agree with this.

At 300k...you'd better be in the higher eschelon of production in MLS, whether it be a top scorer, a monster of a general in midfield or an extremely effective defender. Robbo is a very capable player...but he was none of these things last year.

v00d00daddy
03-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Actually v00d00, Robbo has played CB more than a few times in his career, including for his country and past teams like Norwich.

ahh..didn't know that. i would assume then, that it's Robbo that doesn't want to play at the back. Actually, I remember hearing that somewhere in the past but dont' know where.

In any event, he'd have to take a big pay cut for me to suggest that he should find a spot in the starting XI

Section 117
03-03-2010, 10:41 AM
It is my understanding that players can not take a pay cut or increase once they have signed there contract especially guarenteed ones.

So unfortunately, he is either going to stay making 300K or sent to another team. If TFC cuts Robbo (I for one think it is a mistake) they will still be on the hook for the 300K against the cap

Shaughno
03-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I'd have to agree with this.

At 300k...you'd better be in the higher eschelon of production in MLS, whether it be a top scorer, a monster of a general in midfield or an extremely effective defender. Robbo is a very capable player...but he was none of these things last year.

For example, Andrew Hainault was one of the best defenders in the league last year.... making a whopping $55k.

Two time MLS defender of the year, Chad Marshall makes a near league high $250k for defenders... and he's definitely worth every penny.

William Conde made $170k last year.

Boswell and Wade Barrett made $150k last year.

So, do you think Robbo is twice the defender that those players are? I sure don't. No offense to Robbo.

ahh..didn't know that. i would assume then, that it's Robbo that doesn't want to play at the back. Actually, I remember hearing that somewhere in the past but dont' know where.

In any event, he'd have to take a big pay cut for me to suggest that he should find a spot in the starting XI

Yeah I'm pretty sure when Norwich was in an injury crisis they had Robbo play CB for a few games and he said he didn't mind it, but preferred to be in the midfield.

Shaughno
03-03-2010, 10:48 AM
It is my understanding that players can not take a pay cut or increase once they have signed there contract especially guarenteed ones.

So unfortunately, he is either going to stay making 300K or sent to another team. If TFC cuts Robbo (I for one think it is a mistake) they will still be on the hook for the 300K against the cap

I'm not sure. What if they offer him a new contract, at a lower salary, etc. If he accepts the offer, would it not override his previous contract, guaranteed or not?

Section 117
03-03-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure. What if they offer him a new contract, at a lower salary, etc. If he accepts the offer, would it not override his previous contract, guaranteed or not?

Not sure. I take it would be like NHL contracts that the extension kicks after the old contract

mastermixer
03-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Again, we are left to blow something out of proportion because we have no answers to work with. Why hasn't Robbo spoke with the media?? At least say "All is good" and shut up all of us going crazy on these boards.:mad:

Shaughno
03-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Not sure. I take it would be like NHL contracts that the extension kicks after the old contract

I just had a quick read of the Player's Union website and it has the current CBA listed. It seems that MLS cannot cancel Robbo's contract if it's guaranteed because of bad performance or injury, but it does state that the contract may be terminated early according to other provisions of the CBA. I haven't found those yet though....

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/collective_bargaining_agreement__final.pdf

rocker
03-03-2010, 11:11 AM
why would Robbo's contract be guaranteed though? He signed at the same time as Dichio, so this would be his 4th year in MLS. I've never heard of a player with 4 years guaranteed (2, yes). Dichio took a pay cut after season 2 I believe.

T-Bird
03-03-2010, 11:12 AM

CArl is VITAL to our play offs, and title hopes.
either in the DM or CB position. he is a true leader and I forsee us conceeding many more goals should he not be part of the TFC fututre.

oi vey.

Shaughno
03-03-2010, 11:16 AM
why would Robbo's contract be guaranteed though? He signed at the same time as Dichio, so this would be his 4th year in MLS. I've never heard of a player with 4 years guaranteed (2, yes). Dichio took a pay cut after season 2 I believe.

I do remember hearing that Robbo had a guaranteed contract of some sort. probably similar to Chad's in the 2 + 2(optional), but I'm not sure.

MUFC_Niagara
03-03-2010, 11:17 AM
such is the nature of the boards....2 good seasons then 1 bad season and they want you out

Shaughno
03-03-2010, 11:18 AM
From what I've read, it's not that the majority wants Carl gone.. it's that he's making too much money for his role in this club, whether it be in the midfield or at the back.

rocker
03-03-2010, 11:22 AM
I do remember hearing that Robbo had a guaranteed contract of some sort. probably similar to Chad's in the 2 + 2(optional), but I'm not sure.

yes, guaranteed first two years, with team options for the last two years. But not guaranteed for four years. I doubt MLS would approve such a thing. Most players have no guarantees at all beyond the one that kicks in after July in that season only. Robbo was probably totally guaranteed for 2007 and 2008 but not 2009 and 2010. He could probably be cut before July and TFC would save his $$.

Thing with Chad is he signed a new deal with TFC before last season. So if he's guaranteed, he's only guaranteed for 2010 before team options kick in for years 3 and 4. That's the hammer teams have... they can say "look, your third season is coming up and we'd like to negotiate a new deal at a lower price.. or else we won't pick up your current option and we'll still own your rights."

rocker
03-03-2010, 11:26 AM
such is the nature of the boards....2 good seasons then 1 bad season and they want you out

Go back and read the thread again, because a lot of people are NOT saying they want him out. But they are being reasonable and saying his price in MLS terms is too much, particularly as CB.

Do you believe he's worth being paid in the top 20 players of the league??? Cuz that's the argument.

alexintoronto
03-03-2010, 12:12 PM
These are the options I see

Option 1: Trade him
Seems difficult with the big cap hit.

Option 2: Cut him
His salary would still have to be paid and it would count against the cap.

Option 3: Keep him
We signed a contract with him, honour it and utilize his leadership and talents as much as possible as a DM or CB.

Option 4: Dichio him
Disrespect him and treat him like shit until he quits. I'm not sure if this is what they are doing - but a good organization shouldn't use this as an option.

If Option 1 isn't happening I think the only good choice is Option 3 - unless I missed other options.

KRO
03-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Carl signed a new deal with the club just over a year ago.

Dec 17, 2008 7:25:45 PM
Carl Robinson announced in his column in Welsh newspaper Country Times that he has agreed to a new deal with Toronto F.C.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2008/12/18/1017380/carl-robinson-makes-verbal-agreement-to-return-to-toronto

jabbronies
03-03-2010, 12:37 PM
It's not like Roobo is a shit player. He had an off year where there was constant changes happening around him and for his position, that's tough to adapt to.

If Preki has a problem with the amount of $$ Carl makes, then he can take it up with Mo and make sure he doesn't sign a contract like that again.

But I can see the snake Mo try and slither his way out of this by disrespecting Carl this year to get rid of him. I hope I'm full of shit and this doesn't happen, but it feels too "Dichio" to me.

jloome
03-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah, well based on the volume of anti-Robbo sentiment here, money-wise or not, I guess I'm firmly in the minority, but I think he's one of our best players, when he's playing in a solid system.

Last year, our team movement and interplay was absolutely fucking dreadful. It's very difficult for a holding midfielder, who has to cover a lot of ground to break up attacking flow, to maintain his traditional role while also trying to cover positionally for other players. He certainly had that issue with Amado, friends or not, as Guevara rarely tracked back quickly enough.

If we have good speed and movement wide and can use JDG as a box-to-box midfielder for occasional attacking forays, I don't see why we couldn't see Robinson as effective as he was in year one. To those who say he's lost a step, that's just an assumption: he was never fast enough to begin with for it to be a major factor.

As for his salary, by MLS standards much of our first team is overpaid. By that rationale, everyone we have over $199,000 should probably be gone. And maybe his wouldn't look particularly egregious if, paired centrally with JDG, he had a huge season.

Section 117
03-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Completely agree jloome a partnership of JDG and Robbo would be the best tadem in the league IMO

Shaughno
03-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Carl signed a new deal with the club just over a year ago.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2008/12/18/1017380/carl-robinson-makes-verbal-agreement-to-return-to-toronto

Doesn't seem to mention anything about a guaranteed contract....

Yeah, well based on the volume of anti-Robbo sentiment here, money-wise or not, I guess I'm firmly in the minority, but I think he's one of our best players, when he's playing in a solid system.

Last year, our team movement and interplay was absolutely fucking dreadful. It's very difficult for a holding midfielder, who has to cover a lot of ground to break up attacking flow, to maintain his traditional role while also trying to cover positionally for other players. He certainly had that issue with Amado, friends or not, as Guevara rarely tracked back quickly enough.

If we have good speed and movement wide and can use JDG as a box-to-box midfielder for occasional attacking forays, I don't see why we couldn't see Robinson as effective as he was in year one. To those who say he's lost a step, that's just an assumption: he was never fast enough to begin with for it to be a major factor.

As for his salary, by MLS standards much of our first team is overpaid. By that rationale, everyone we have over $199,000 should probably be gone. And maybe his wouldn't look particularly egregious if, paired centrally with JDG, he had a huge season.

Agreed, big time. About his salary, $300k seems like a lot... but we did drop Fellinga, Serioux, Guevara and Vitti which according to the MLSPU adds up to a total of approximately $755k in cap space.

Add to that... no more Dichio as a player (I'm assuming staff fee's are paid by MLSE not MLS and don't count under the cap) which frees up another $120k

Completely agree jloome a partnership of JDG and Robbo would be the best tadem in the league IMO

I can see them doing well, especially now that JDG has had his first preseason training in about two full years.

KRO
03-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Add my vote to that.

v00d00daddy
03-03-2010, 03:32 PM

I see what you're saying but I don't even know if the "traditional" holding mid role is relevant anymore. I think it's a wasted position if the only way he'll be effective is if a bunch of other players do things to allow Robbo to play such a specific role.

A central midfielder has to be able to do so much more than Robbo is capable of.

As far as the money goes...he's never been worth it. In years 1 and 2 he was among the top 10-15 paid players in the entire league.

The return TFC get, for the price they pay for him, is out of whack.

I think most people get caught up in the fact that Robbo seems to be a nice guy and that he's earned his "pedigree" in a league that many here hold in very high regard.

He's been looked at through rose coloured glasses for far too long.

Shaughno
03-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I see what you're saying but I don't even know if the "traditional" holding mid role is relevant anymore. I think it's a wasted position if the only way he'll be effective is if a bunch of other players do things to allow Robbo to play such a specific role.

A central midfielder has to be able to do so much more than Robbo is capable of.

As far as the money goes...he's never been worth it. In years 1 and 2 he was among the top 10-15 paid players in the entire league.

The return TFC get, for the price they pay for him, is out of whack.

I think most people get caught up in the fact that Robbo seems to be a nice guy and that he's earned his "pedigree" in a league that many here hold in very high regard.

He's been looked at through rose coloured glasses for far too long.

I don't see too much difference between Robbo and IMO the best holding/d-mid in the league, Shalrie Joseph... and he's making upwards of $125k MORE than Robbo is...

Just sayin..

Section 117
03-03-2010, 03:43 PM
vOOdOOdaddy

You can say that a lot of players on TFC are looked at through rose colour glasses.

rocker
03-03-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't see too much difference between Robbo and IMO the best holding/d-mid in the league, Shalrie Joseph... and he's making upwards of $125k MORE than Robbo is...

Just sayin..

really? I've watched a lot of NE games and Shalrie is a much superior player to Robbo at this point in time. Shalrie is an MVP type player, better passer, tougher, stronger, and can surprisingly play an offensive role when called upon.

Shaughno
03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
really? I've watched a lot of NE games and Shalrie is a much superior player to Robbo at this point in time. Shalrie is an MVP type player, better passer, tougher, stronger, and can surprisingly play an offensive role when called upon.

Don't get me wrong, Joseph IS the better player between the two, but what I'm saying is there isn't too much difference between them.

People like to cut Robbo up for being limited in his skill set and many other things. The first two seasons, Robbo was one of the few TFC players who was consistent with his performances. He just 'happened' to win MVP for TFC, two years running. That says something about his level of play. Sure last year he wasn't as good as expected, but the team did a lot of shuffling, including players and coaches, which didn't help our team as a whole.

I think Robbo is fairly strong if you watch him go in on his tackles. His short passing doesn't quite match up with Joseph's, but his long range was spot on in the first two seasons.

I would like to see some stat comparisons between Robbo and Joseph for things like Pass %, Tackle %, etc. because I bet you Robbo isn't far off from Joseph in those categories.

ag futbol
03-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Come on Shaughno, we all know how good Robinson is defensively but there are serious limitations in the other direction which is why nobody is looking to touch his 300k salary with a ten foot pole.

Holding to relieve pressure and short passing are critical limitations of his skill set. He's a one dimensional, old school d-mid. MLS is stronger at DM than any other position and his opposite numbers are much more balanced.

TFC07
03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Wow, this is still going on? How many years does Robbo have left in his contract? I hope this is his last year. His contract is killing our cap!

BTW, JDG is our best DM...too bad he's being forced to play AM now.

Phil
03-04-2010, 01:54 PM
MCL injury picked up early in pre season, hence not much from him now.

Shaughno
03-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Really Rooney? Is it serious or just a tweak/strain?

Phil
03-04-2010, 02:08 PM
I saw it on TFC TV. Preki metioned that it happened in the college games so I would imagine its semi serious if he has been sitting this long.

Still not taking practice.

Shaughno
03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Shit. That doesn't really help the situation at all.

Phil
03-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Shit. That doesn't really help the situation at all.

Clears up a lot of the guess work though.

Shaughno
03-04-2010, 02:19 PM
This is very true. Though it kind of opens up a whole new bag of questions...

Phil
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
My gut tells me that he is still being shopped.

Injury in the mix means this will prolong the whole thing one way or the other.

jabbronies
03-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Carl Robinson mentioned on TFC TV:
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1648

Start speculating on his interview!!

Pachuco
03-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Carl Robinson mentioned on TFC TV:
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1648

Start speculating on his interview!!

Yeah ok, that was weird. Luke Wileman says Carl Robinson, Nana and Gomez are injured and that Preki will talk more about it. When it goes to Preki he mentions nothing about Carl and goes on to talk about Nana and Gomez. hmmmm. Maybe he forgot to talk about Carl, maybe what Preki said about Carl was edited out, maybe Preki chose not to talk about Carl.

Interestinnnnng.

Rudi
03-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Yeah ok, that was weird. Luke Wileman says Carl Robinson, Nana and Gomez are injured and that Preki will talk more about it. When it goes to Preki he mentions nothing about Carl and goes on to talk about Nana and Gomez. hmmmm. Maybe he forgot to talk about Carl, maybe what Preki said about Carl was edited out, maybe Preki chose not to talk about Carl.

Interestinnnnng.
Watch the Preki media scrum, he is asked directly about Robinson.

Of course, Preki never says much in any of his interviews, which is actually quite annoying even though I realize he likes to keep things close to his chest, so take that into consideration.

canadian_bhoy
03-04-2010, 06:08 PM

Interestinnnnng.

Does this surprise you? Carl flew with the team out to Florida and then back to Toronto. At his age he's lucky he's not in the hospital.

To be fair to Wileman though - he never said Robbo was injured. Just that he was sitting out.

MUFC_Niagara
03-04-2010, 06:18 PM
^^ huh?

Pigfynn
03-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Preki says specfically that Carl has a knee injury in his TFCTV interview

Up The TFC
03-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Apparently, Three Four Three is the blog that broke the story 'officially' so I'll link to it.

Carl Robinson is a Red Bull. (http://threefourthreefc.wordpress.com/2010/03/06/rbny-get-carl-robinson-in-exchange-for-draft-picks/)

Phil
03-08-2010, 12:33 PM
RT @LukeWileman: Preki confirms Robinson released and talks about reasons why. Interview will be online this afternoon on @torontofc TV.

Big Bruva
03-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Robbo got his wish and got out so im sure he is happy enough.

JDG
03-11-2010, 05:02 PM
So Ives reports that NYRB get Robo for $125,000, and Luke Wielman has reported that TFC gets a 4th round draft pick.
I'm absolutely furious over this. We're still paying something like $205,000, and all we get is a 4th round pick?
Mo MUST go.

TFC07
03-11-2010, 05:35 PM
So Ives reports that NYRB get Robo for $125,000, and Luke Wielman has reported that TFC gets a 4th round draft pick.
I'm absolutely furious over this. We're still paying something like $205,000, and all we get is a 4th round pick?
Mo MUST go.

Only $125,000? That is Robbo's market value in MLS? Not surprised at all. I can't beleive he was making $330K (close to DP money) in Toronto. What a waste of money :facepalm:

Blizzard
03-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Only $125,000? That is Robbo's market value in MLS? Not surprised at all. I can't beleive he was making $330K (close to DP money) in Toronto. What a waste of money :facepalm:

Maybe so but at least it is $125k we wouldn't have had otherwise.

Ya, it hurts .... bad .... but it was either that or waste the whole $330k on a bench warmer that the coach doesn't want on the team.

jazzy
03-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Maybe so but at least it is $125k we wouldn't have had otherwise.

Ya, it hurts .... bad .... but it was either that or waste the whole $330k on a bench warmer that the coach doesn't want on the team.

It seems many of our players are overpaid?....Smells like the leafs..sorry MLSE never learns....the soccer retirement home for under achievers, always the same in Toronto, Mgmt into the wine and cavier, (sic)....while the team just swells in mediocrite. and the f&%kin greatest fans in the world.....:picard: .....It takes a looong time for corps to be successful in a sport they know nothing about, and get conned by good time charlies, 5 yrs at a time

Derko
03-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Watch Robbo and Sutton both have a stellar year, I can just see it happening, The 'EX-MLSE' (Leafs) players always do better elsewhere, just to say Fuck You. I hope I am wrong!!

Daveisonfire
03-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Robbo got his wish and got out so im sure he is happy enough.

Big Bruva tells no lies