PDA

View Full Version : TFC USA's Checklist for Toronto FC 2010

TFC USA
03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Last year (too lazy to find the thread) TFC disappointed me by not making the playoffs, not scoring a penalty, and fucking up in the final 15 minutes. So it is my pleasure to unveil my really low 2010 standards to the world! :scarf:

1.) Win a penalty. You don't even need to score (you never do, anyway). I think we've won 7-8 penalties in 3 seasons of existence. That's got to be more than just shitty MLS referees screwing us over in some way to please Bill Archer in a way in which only he can be sexually aroused.

2.) Win 5 road games. Easy.

3.) Release Nick Garcia. Now. :facepalm:

4.) BEAT THE FUCKING COLUMBUS CREW!!!! Doesn't have to be opening day, it just needs to happen this season. Preferably in the conference finals of the MLS Playoffs in that shithole by winning 77-0.

5.) Make the playoffs. No playoffs = Fire Mo.

6.) Score more than 3 goals in a game. We've done that one time. Pathetic.

7.) The moment you concede in the final 15 minutes of a one goal game, immediately start firing shots into your own net. Spare me the pain of last minute heartbreak and bombard the shit out of Frei with own goal attempts. If we lost 6-1 despite being 1-0 up in the 74th at least I know defeat is certain and decisive. That's probably the only way Barrett can score.

That's it from me. What is your checklist?

daner90
03-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Have at least one consistent striker from March until October.
Dero can't do it all, we have guys like Gerba, White and Barrett who
are on the team to score. I want to see one of these guys step up and do it
all year.

Yeoman
03-01-2010, 12:14 PM
fire mo
simple

Hitcho
03-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Last year (too lazy to find the thread) TFC disappointed me by not making the playoffs, not scoring a penalty, and fucking up in the final 15 minutes. So it is my pleasure to unveil my really low 2010 standards to the world! :scarf:

1.) Win a penalty. You don't even need to score (you never do, anyway). I think we've won 7-8 penalties in 3 seasons of existence. That's got to be more than just shitty MLS referees screwing us over in some way to please Bill Archer in a way in which only he can be sexually aroused.

2.) Win 5 road games. Easy.

3.) Release Nick Garcia. Now. :facepalm:

4.) BEAT THE FUCKING COLUMBUS CREW!!!! Doesn't have to be opening day, it just needs to happen this season. Preferably in the conference finals of the MLS Playoffs in that shithole by winning 77-0.

5.) Make the playoffs. No playoffs = Fire Mo.

6.) Score more than 3 goals in a game. We've done that one time. Pathetic.

7.) The moment you concede in the final 15 minutes of a one goal game, immediately start firing shots into your own net. Spare me the pain of last minute heartbreak and bombard the shit out of Frei with own goal attempts. If we lost 6-1 despite being 1-0 up in the 74th at least I know defeat is certain and decisive. That's probably the only way Barrett can score.

That's it from me. What is your checklist?

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be funny (hard to tell without liberal use of smiley faces)? To me it reads as a bit of a negative rant, which is fair enough dude, god knows TFC haven't exactly been a blazing success so far. But, if it is a list of serious points, then my responses would be:

1 - the only way to do this is hope you get fouled in the area, or take a dive. not sure I'd want to encourage either of those to be honest.

2 - it's not as easy as it sounds. away records in MLS typically are not that stellar, for a number of reasons I expect. It's a good thing to aim for but not something we should expect to come without too much effort and label as "easy".

3 - the strong rumours are that he's on a guaranteed contract, so we cannot just release him, he'd have to be traded and given that A) he's a bit shit, B) he's overpaid and C) the CBA thing is all up in the air still, I doubt there's much chance of that happening.

4 - they're a good team, a rival (manufactured as between the teams but genuine as between the fans) and have some very good individual players. they're not going to roll over. this is a bit like a spurs fan saying "beat arsenal - easy". It's not easy.

5 - i think this will be on everyone's list, including the fire Mo part if we don't make it. :)

6 - dude, this is football, not basketball. scoring 4 goals or more in a match isn't all that common. this is a sport that sometimes struggles to shake off the reputation of having too many 0-0 bore draws. MLS isn't as bad for this as other leagues, but knocking 4 goals or more in during a game is not easy. And it's not "pathetic" that we don't do this regularly. You've got to be realistic, especially with a team that's been in constant transition since it started and has yet to find a reliable 15 goals a season striker (or even 10 goals a season).

7 - ?!

My list would be pretty short. I'd like to see us play compact, organised football at a consistently good level with the team working well as a unit and playing hard for each other. If we do that, then winning the V-Cup and making the play offs should come as a matter of course, which would complete my list. I'm not expecting world beating football, just a consistent level of reasonable play from industry and commitment. And I really think Preki might bring this to us.

Once we've cracked that, then we can start to aim a bit higher. make the pay offs as a regular thing through a good level fo play and you can start thinking about CONCACAF runs and MLS Cup finals. But for now, I'd take a steady supply of good (not even great) performances this season and look to build from there.

TFC USA
03-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah it's supposed to be humorous. I wanted to do something serious but don't have it in me. My real serious goals do involve consistent scoring, no losing to the Crew, and making the playoffs.

The 4 goals are half-serious, half-joking. I would love to see more home goals in front of the south end. :D

That last part is an inside joke on another website. Sometimes when we're losing badly we joke about "suicide" mode in which we bombard our own keeper with shots. That happened when the GK scored an own goal. We still haven't done it yet. :D :D

scots17
03-01-2010, 01:06 PM
simple...

1) play-offs
2) VCup

olegunnar
03-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I'll do a serious one.

For the Organization:

1) Win a playoff game.

For Mo:
1) Put together a balanced roster
a) in terms of positions, balance the roster, fill our holes up front, on the wing and in the centre of defense, it's year 4 so another team of central midfielders isn't going to cut it.
b) in terms of make up, even out the age/salary of the roster. We've had too long with a handfull of older players all making close to max, and then a bench full of minimum wage kids.

2) groom at least 2 kids into full time MLS starters. In 3 years we have Wynn and Attakora, Frei and Cronin...that's it. That's not good enough in my opinion if you're going to shield yourself from criticism by using the building for the future argument.

3)Be accountable for the on field performance, instead of taking credit when things go well, and pretending to be just a desk jockey when things go sour. For example: back up Preki, never ever answer a question about line ups or game performance by saying "you have to ask Preki as I'm just the Manager".

For Preki
1) Get them to play hard all the time, no matter what BS is going on (Mid season Friendlies, salary disputes, alledged dodgey treatment from upper management).

2) Develop a go to system rather than a go to line up. If someone goes down or has an international...no problem, we stick another cog in the machine and keep rolling.

3) Develop the ability to excel in different formations. Say we play a 4-4-2....they should be at least comfortable switching to different formation should we be chasing a goal or defending a lead. The past 3 years...as soon as we deviated from the norm (ie hoof it up to Dichio)...stinky brown stuff hit the fan.

4) this is reliant on Mo filling out the roster, but I want some accountability for a change. If you stink it up...you get the hook. You blow an assignment/give up a penalty and we lose a lead...grab some bench for a while until you can regain the trust of the coaches and your teamates.
The line up card should be in pencil, not pen.

For the Players
1) I know it's a two bit, dead end league with stupid rules, it pays peanuts and if you had your choice you'd be playing somewhere else....
but they still keep score, people still care if you win or lose, so they owe it to themselves, the supporters, the fans, the city and most importantly the badge...to always play like their hair is on fire.

kodiakTFC
03-01-2010, 01:10 PM
We've scored 4+ goals twice. 4-0 over FC Dallas season 1 and 6-1 over Montreal last year in the NCC.

Hitcho
03-01-2010, 01:30 PM
We've scored 4+ goals twice. 4-0 over FC Dallas season 1 and 6-1 over Montreal's reserves last year in the NCC.

Fixed!!! :D

Carts
03-01-2010, 01:38 PM
My "unrealistic" wish...

No home losses. I'd love to go a season without losing at home...

Carts...

Hitcho
03-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Well if we're adding unrealistic wishes too, then I'd go for a return of the beer hawkers to the south stand, coupled with a substantial reduction in beer prices at BMO Field. :D

Oh, and a winger would be nice too.

ensco
03-01-2010, 03:47 PM
All I'm asking for is two things that we have never done....

1) a beautiful strike from distance during the run of play for a goal
2) a goal in the 85th minute or later to win a game

Gixmo
03-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Well if we're adding unrealistic wishes too, then I'd go for a return of the beer hawkers to the south stand, coupled with a substantial reduction in beer prices at BMO Field. :D

Oh, and a winger would be nice too.

Now this rationale. I applaud you fine sir!

I'd like to see a thunderous strike, some containing both distance and power.. A true laser beam, Ronaldo-esque, in front of the south end to win late on!

TFC USA
03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Next goal - Gerry Dobson must master the TFC lineup and not confuse the black people. Ditto for Nigel.

Ageroo
03-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Next goal - Gerry Dobson must master the TFC lineup and not confuse the black people. Ditto for Nigel.

This may be the most unrealistic wish of all....:D

Hitcho
03-01-2010, 04:05 PM

This would be nice, but if Jimmy B wants to thunder in a few more free kicks like THAT one, I'd happily take that instead! :scarf:

MUFC_Niagara
03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
My only request this year.....for the love of god, can you please not start a post game thread with a rediculous title after every loss?

TFC USA
03-01-2010, 06:33 PM
LOL won't do that.

Because we're going undefeated this season. :D

Redcoe15
03-01-2010, 07:43 PM
LOL won't do that.

Because we're going undefeated this season. :D
Which is as likely as me going out with a hot lady. Or any decent enough lady, to be precise.

My life is pathetic. :facepalm:

[NBF]
03-01-2010, 09:07 PM
How in the hell do Chad Barrett and Nick Garcia both get guaranteed contracts and players like Abdus Ibrahim/Gabe Gala don't have to show up to games and still keep a place on the team?

jazzy
03-01-2010, 10:41 PM

How can anyone argue with this., We always are short on quality shots.

Redpunkfiddle
03-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Truly the Gods are cruel. We are facing a strike over how players are getting screwed over when we can't even screw over our worst player.

And if we win 5 games on the road, I'd be over the moon. Have you seen the history of road records for playoff teams in this league?

barca99
03-01-2010, 11:12 PM
My wish for 2010...

Find out which position truly suits DeRosario. Is he an out-and-out striker, a winger, an attacking centre mid? I honestly can't figure this guy out.

nascarguy
03-01-2010, 11:20 PM
1.)playoffs are a must this season

Super
03-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Play-offs or bust. Not just for this year, but EVERY year moving forward!

Redcoe15
03-02-2010, 02:45 PM
;913661']How in the hell do Chad Barrett and Nick Garcia both get guaranteed contracts and players like Abdus Ibrahim/Gabe Gala don't have to show up to games and still keep a place on the team?
Only Mo Johnston knows for sure.

Ugh. :facepalm: