PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,Mar.01

denime
03-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Mornin'

Preki still has much work to do (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/james-on-soccer/preki-still-has-much-work-to-do/article1484480/)

TFC Well Beaten By Red Bulls (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100227&content_id=8535336&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

SUNSHINE:) (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

CretanBull
03-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Mornin'

SUNSHINE:) (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Smokin' hot, but really who dreams about becoming a secretary? It's a fine job and all, but its usually one you end up doing - not one you dream about.

Mornin' D :D

scooter
03-01-2010, 07:57 AM
mornin d

Oldtimer
03-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Nigerian striker Ijeh on trial at Toronto FC

Nigerian striker Peter Ijeh (http://www.imscouting.com/players/peter-ijeh/) is on trial at MLS side Toronto FC (http://www.imscouting.com/teams/usa/toronto-fc/) , having seen his contract expire at Norwegian side Viking.
32 year-old Ijeh has extensive experience in Scandanavia, having previously starred for Malmo and IFK Gothenberg. The 6ft front man is a handful for defences and is hoping to impress new coach Predrag Radosaljevic at Toronto FC (http://www.imscouting.com/teams/usa/toronto-fc/) .

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Nigerian-striker-Ijeh-on-trial-at-Toronto-FC/6120/

Fort York Redcoat
03-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Disappointing losing to NJRB by such a margin. I hope Preki learned what he needed to from this Disney cup.

CoachGT
03-01-2010, 08:43 AM
I looked at things in a positive light - we're one goal better than we were in October last year.

DavydMT
03-01-2010, 08:57 AM
^ :sad:

[NBF]
03-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Smokin' hot, but really who dreams about becoming a secretary? It's a fine job and all, but its usually one you end up doing - not one you dream about.

SSG: Don't put her down unless you are a hotter SSG:facepalm: and you know thats probably her backup plan since she'll probably gonna be a FHM Model with her looks.

NYRB: Do we call them shit bulls because they drop chunks on us? There should be a ban on Red Bull products in Toronto. Can we start this soon please.

http://www.scottyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/040707red_bull_gives_me_wings.gif

James17930
03-01-2010, 09:58 AM

I'm sure she was kidding.

She looks like a cross between Alicia Keys and Bif Naked (in a good way).

Suds
03-01-2010, 10:07 AM

Hey, leaver her alone. If she dreams of being my secretary some day I think that's a great goal. I wonder how I get that job posting over to her. :D

madcow
03-01-2010, 10:17 AM
"• In the first half, Nick Garcia and Ty Harden were unsteady and both full-backs were trialists who proved unsure of themselves."
Is Paul James suggesting that Garcia is a trialist? Can anyone confirm this?

Stouffville_RPB
03-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Sorry I'm still stuck on Friday's SSG. :)

Stouffville_RPB
03-01-2010, 10:18 AM
"• In the first half, Nick Garcia and Ty Harden were unsteady and both full-backs were trialists who proved unsure of themselves."
Is Paul James suggesting that Garcia is a trialist? Can anyone confirm this?

Full-backs are actually right or left backs

center-half = centre back

Paul is referring to the back line as a whole.

billyfly
03-01-2010, 10:19 AM
9-0 last 2 meetings against NY. I think they have a case asking us who's Shite after all?

Mikey
03-01-2010, 10:38 AM
http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=22761

New York press calling out Guzman for hacking at Angel.....

madcow
03-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Call it false hope on my part. Oh well.

Roogsy
03-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Hmmm...I might be in the market for a secretary soon...

jabbronies
03-01-2010, 11:06 AM
http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=22761

New York press calling out Guzman for hacking at Angel.....

From the article:

Asked what he thought of the de Guzman foul on Angel, Petke replied, "I just thought it was a combination of them being frustrated and an average player putting a horrible tackle on a good player. Uncalled for."

jabbronies
03-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Preki still has much work to do (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/james-on-soccer/preki-still-has-much-work-to-do/article1484480/)

Major Concerns for TFC
• Defending at the back and in central midfield was poor and will continue to be a concern unless TFC find different options.
• No real driving force from any player. Frightening lack of spirit and enthusiasm.

Not raising an alarm but it sounds like this is the same TFC team we had last year.

rocker
03-01-2010, 11:23 AM
hmmm... Mike Petke calling a very good player an "average player." guess he just completely revised the talent scale in this league, which puts him at the bottom. ;)

boban
03-01-2010, 11:27 AM

What do you know?
Maybe she likes smoking. ;)

Stouffville_RPB
03-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Not raising an alarm but it sounds like this is the same TFC team we had last year.

I'd say those points are worse. Our central midfield play wasn't a weakness last year. I have no doubt that our central midfield play will be adequate.

flatpicker
03-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Sunshine Girl is a good example of what happens when they actually give a shit at the photo shoot.

As for her wanting to be a secretary... perhaps she means a Secretary of State?
;)

Phil
03-01-2010, 12:42 PM
CBA thoughts:

http://www.premiershiptalk.com/2010/03/01/mls-labor-negotiations-concluded/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PremiershipTalk+%28Premiershi p+Talk%29

Hitcho
03-01-2010, 01:36 PM
CBA thoughts:

http://www.premiershiptalk.com/2010/03/01/mls-labor-negotiations-concluded/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PremiershipTalk+%28Premiershi p+Talk%29

That's a very interesting take on matters. He raises some very good points which, technically, could lead to madness breaking loose (no cap in place, no free agency rules in place, etc). Having said that, the bottom line remains that both sides want to see a sensible solution to this and go on worknig together. So I don't think either side will start flaunting the rules too much. Besides which, the league pays the salaries and they're not going to start exceeding the cap with no CBA in place. In theory the league could abuse its position I suppose, but they must know that would seriously undermine any hope of reaching an agreement on the negotiations, so I doubt they will. After all, the league stands to lose just as badly as the players do if the wheels really do come off MLS, since as an entity it will fold.

Pigfynn
03-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Joe Ross over at the Score footy blog is saying that it's "roster compliance" day for MLS teams meaning they must fall in line with the salary cap and cut anyone who puts them over. We may see that ever-revolving door move today....again.

Oh! here: http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/

Beach_Red
03-01-2010, 02:16 PM
That's a very interesting take on matters. He raises some very good points which, technically, could lead to madness breaking loose (no cap in place, no free agency rules in place, etc). Having said that, the bottom line remains that both sides want to see a sensible solution to this and go on worknig together. So I don't think either side will start flaunting the rules too much. Besides which, the league pays the salaries and they're not going to start exceeding the cap with no CBA in place. In theory the league could abuse its position I suppose, but they must know that would seriously undermine any hope of reaching an agreement on the negotiations, so I doubt they will. After all, the league stands to lose just as badly as the players do if the wheels really do come off MLS, since as an entity it will fold.

It would be interestig to see which owners would stay in MLS if there weren't strict controls on team spending.

Bars92
03-01-2010, 02:24 PM
The Shiteheads..

Oldtimer
03-01-2010, 02:27 PM
CBA thoughts:

This article is absolute nonsense from someone who knows little about the subject.

(1) The salary cap is set by the league, not the CBA. Since MLS signs the players, they can't be forced to spend anything, even if a team wants to sign someone. This is unlike the NFL situation (which he is probably confused with) where the clubs are independent, the CBA expired, and suddenly there is no cap at all.

(2) Under US labour law, both parties must maintain current conditions in "good faith." That means that the players continue to perform (unless they go on strike) and MLS management maintains the same rules. The only thing that changes without the CBA is that MLS can lock out the players, and the players go on strike.

(3) The players have the same leverage that they always have had: go on strike during a WC year. Given that most MLS players can't afford a long strike, and the MLS owners have very deep pockets, the balance of power has always been on the owners' side.

Oldtimer
03-01-2010, 02:28 PM
It would be interestig to see which owners would stay in MLS if there weren't strict controls on team spending.

Don't worry, that's not the case.

Beach_Red
03-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Don't worry, that's not the case.

What makes you so sure? It was certainly a selling point to get owners into the league. It's hard to picture NE getting into a free agency bidding war. Or MLSE for that matter.

Of course, it's really hypothetical, there's always going to be spending restraints on sports teams in north America now - it's just a matter of how they're handled.

Super Cereal
03-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Fuck Mike Petke. Fuckling muppet. Real tough guy, talking shit to the press. And really, calling De Guzman average? What a clown.

TFCRegina
03-01-2010, 06:26 PM

I dream about having secretaries like her.

ArmenJBX
03-01-2010, 06:58 PM
God was sitting in Heaven with Messi on his right & Kaka to his left. Dichio needing a place to sit looked down at these 3 historical figures and said to God, "you're in my chair".

lol :D

jloome
03-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Given that most MLS players can't afford a long strike, and the MLS owners have very deep pockets, the balance of power has always been on the owners' side.

I think that's a supreme misreading of who has more to lose in this.

Sure, for career and ego's sake, some players may be scared of not playing in MLS. But there are a) about 50 equivalent leagues, many better paying, for them to try to move to and b) a gazillion private sector jobs that pay better than the low end (sub $70K) of the MLS.

The players have much less to lose than the owners, particularly if you're part of Red Bull and have plunked down for that new arena, or part of Seattle and have plunked down $40 M for an expansion fee.

Beach_Red
03-01-2010, 08:52 PM

Sure, for career and ego's sake, some players may be scared of not playing in MLS. But there are a) about 50 equivalent leagues, many better paying, for them to try to move to and b) a gazillion private sector jobs that pay better than the low end (sub $70K) of the MLS.

The players have much less to lose than the owners, particularly if you're part of Red Bull and have plunked down for that new arena, or part of Seattle and have plunked down $40 M for an expansion fee.

It really seems like this fight is between different camps of owners, not between players and owners because you're exactly right - the owners who've come into the league recently and put down big money seem to see more potential for growth. $40 million for expansion fees? New stadiums? They've done pretty much all they can with DP rules.

Yes, the players have lots of options. The question is, are there enough of these more forward thinking owners to have a league?

SoccMan
03-01-2010, 08:55 PM
I don't have a problem with what Mike Petke said, I know that if I was playing in a game where our star player got hacked the way Angel was by DeGuzman I would make sure that the next time DeGuzman touched the ball I would be there to remind him of the ruthless tackle he had just put on one of my teams best player. Moreover, the way DeGuzman has been playing since he came to our team is very average or even below average, therefore, I see nothing wrong with Petke calling DeGuzman an average player. DeGuzman needs to step it up if not then he needs to be shipped out, because so far he has shown us nothing.

rocker
03-01-2010, 09:09 PM

But if those players are under contract, they can't just up and leave for Europe, right? They'd have to get their international transfer certificate signed and approved by MLS to go. For example, De Ro is probably signed to TFC for another 3 seasons. i don't think he can just up and go to Europe while under contract. As long as the players are the ones walking out, MLS isn't at fault for breaking any contract.

Secondly, if European jobs were available, the players would have gone already. I don't think many of these American players want to sit on the bench in Europe (likely) or move their families.

Even out of contract guys like Hartman and Van Den Burgh haven't gone to Europe despite problems signing with MLS.

The big pocket owners really have little to lose. MLSE survived a year without the Leafs and half a season without the Raps. TFC is pocket change to them and they can survive without it financially for a year if they had to.

ag futbol
03-01-2010, 10:43 PM
The big pocket owners really have little to lose. MLSE survived a year without the Leafs and half a season without the Raps. TFC is pocket change to them and they can survive without it financially for a year if they had to.
If you're making millions of dollars a year and all of a sudden a strike takes you down to zero, you're more likely to care than if you're making -2 million dollars a year and a strike takes you down to -2.5. Thus is the difference between a Seattle, Toronto, and LA (who all have very little to gain from a work stoppage) and the Hunt teams who will want to fight this until death. This will invariably cause problems the longer this thing plays out.

If we can learn anything from the NHL strike it's that any unified stance splinters over time. The union originally figured it would take up to two seasons to break the league. They were totally willing to do it, but the vets who were 1 or 2 years from retirement (who had very little to gain from striking) caused dissent and broke the party line after a while.

BTW, guess which team was the closest to de-railing the NHL's stance and wanted back to the ice? yep, the leafs!

Super
03-01-2010, 10:57 PM
DeGuzman has not been great while with us, but there could be a number of reasons for that. But let's not get carried away with our frustration and start to call the guy "average". The fact that Petke calls DeGuzman average says more about Petke than it does Julian. Let's not forget that DeGuzman won Player of the Year at Deportivo in the 07-08 season, and many other honours on top of that as well. I get it, Petke was mad, and when you're mad you'll call people names. But DeGuzman, while maybe not perfect for us, is a fantastic footballer - and certainly better than any player on NYRB's team, maybe except for Angel.

Super
03-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Also, and sorry for double-posting, but really I think the problem (if there is one) with DeGuzman is that he is a really good player in a very average league. He is placed behind an MLS midfield, and in front of an MLS defense. He'll take the ball and pass it, but there's a few steps after a DeGuzman pass before you create a chance. Also, if DeGuzman is beaten the defense is alone - and here again he's not much help. This leads me to honestly believe that a defensive midfielder is a TERRIBLE idea in the MLS. DP money is best spent on a striker or an attacking midfielder. One who can either score goals on his own (Angel, McBride, Donovan), or create chances for someone else (Blanco, Schelotto, Beckham, Ljungberg). These guys have all produced in the MLS. There have been a few other less successful DP's, but that's the chance you run when you sign one. I've yet to see a successful non-striker/attacking midfielder succeed in the MLS, though.