PDA

View Full Version : Its Called Football - February 25th Episode

AL-MO
02-28-2010, 01:42 PM
I subscribe to ICF through iTunes. I enjoy supporting a local show and like the fact that it is centered mostly on the game in North America. Ben is a good host and I enjoy Duane's insight on TFC and other NA soccer.

But who's idea was it to do the Mo Johnston 'interview' ?

I was expecting the actual MOJO, not Squizz impersonating him. Even though MOJO never really gives you much in an interview anyway, I thought this was very poor. Amateur actually. Considering the guests you have had on recently and the topics you discuss this came out of left field.

If you want devoted listeners, people who will take the show seriously this is not the way to do it. I know one other member of this board who turned it off when he heard this. I did not, as I was in the car and had nothing better to listen to. I probably would have but I wanted to hear the episode out.

I will keep on listening for the time being, but any more of this and I won't listen anymore. I want to hear discussion about footy, not a weak attempt at comedy.

nascarguy
03-01-2010, 03:28 AM
yeah I subscribe to ICF through iTunes too and I make sure to all ways vote 5 out 5 stars.

VPjr
03-01-2010, 03:36 AM
knowing that Mo doesnt do interviews unless the conditions are tightly controlled, I knew right away that it was a lark. I actually thought it was pretty funny at times, but that's me.

having said that, I agree that the show is best when it lines up the type of top quality guests that they are known to land. All things considered, I really think this is a well done podcast, one of the best footy pods we've got and one of the only that discusses Canadian issues.

DavydMT
03-01-2010, 08:55 AM
I will keep on listening for the time being, but any more of this and I won't listen anymore. I want to hear discussion about footy, not a weak attempt at comedy.

Agree. I do enjoy football comedy sketches, but this interview was weak.

Where can i find the re-mix they are using at the end of the show?

KRO
03-01-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm a regular listener but I think it has gone downhill recently. If Ben and Duane are the guests or even Duane on his own there is usually a good level of discussion but Squizz seems to manage to dumb it down if he is on. He sounds pretty knowledgeable but I can do without the 'sound effects' and Mo impersonations. I think some of the shows are recorded late in the evening when there has been too much pre-show lubrication!

Ossington Mental Youth
03-01-2010, 04:34 PM
im a regular listener, definitely agree its one fo the best MLS oriented radioshow/podcasts out there (i rarely listen to anything else MLS related). That being said its rare that i find anything funny on the show. I spose it doesnt matter as they make up for it with quality content and discussion. I guess i could do without the jokes but i dont blame them for doing em (prob wanna have some fun there as opposed to being all business)

Oldtimer
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Agreed with the general tone here.

They could do without phony "interviews," and the like.
They should recast the show as being a fact-oriented show with intelligent comment (such as the Score's Footy Show podcast).
Sometimes it's great, and sometimes it sounds like it was made in a college dorm.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-01-2010, 04:53 PM
I mostly like it. The "Mo" interview was painfully unfunny, but hey they're out there doing something. My other criticism is that there hasn't been much insider info. on the podcast lately. I still consider myself a loyal listener.

James17930
03-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Agreed with the general tone here.

They could do without phony "interviews," and the like.
They should recast the show as being a fact-oriented show with intelligent comment (such as the Score's Footy Show podcast).
Sometimes it's great, and sometimes it sounds like it was made in a college dorm.

I think that's kind of the point, though. They want it to have a lighter tone, to differentiate it from other podcasts.

jabbronies
03-01-2010, 05:53 PM
They also need to fix that audio crackling issue...it's annoying!

canadian_bhoy
03-01-2010, 06:00 PM
I personally don't listen to the show. Gotta give the guys credit though. I remember the amount of time that went into doing the Red Patch Live podcast and they have a much more elaborate set-up than we ever did.

From what I've heard, their strength is their knowledge of the game, specifically MLS and Canadian footy and not so much the comedy bit. But kudos to them for all that they do to put this out there.

dupont
03-01-2010, 06:22 PM
I love that podcast when they get an awesome guest. and they get TONS of awesome guests on there.

i didnt hear this thankfully but it won't stop me from listening to it in the future since I know they will have more quality interviews.

Brooker
03-01-2010, 07:27 PM
I can't stand that guy Squizz. I'm sure he's a nice guy and I'm sure he knows 10x more than I do about soccer but it's like nails on a chalk board listening to him. Really turned me off the show.

Everything else is great. I still listen pretty often.

AL-MO
03-01-2010, 08:20 PM
I can't stand that guy Squizz. I'm sure he's a nice guy and I'm sure he knows 10x more than I do about soccer but it's like nails on a chalk board listening to him. Really turned me off the show.

Everything else is great. I still listen pretty often.

I prefer Ben Knight as the third myself.

Brooker
03-01-2010, 08:24 PM
^^^ +11111111111111111

It's Called Football
03-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Apologies to those who felt misled - that wasn't our intention. Not everything always works out the way we want it to and sometimes we have to improvise. When you're doing 150 shows a year, the reality is not all of them are going to be 40-yard strikes.

In the last couple months we've had on JDG, DeRo, Jimmy Conrad, Declan Hill, Stephen Hart, Bob Lenarduzzi (and many more) and broke a bunch of news on the MLS/CBA front, NASL expansion and CSA - I'd like to think our record is pretty good. But criticism is always welcomed (while I don't always like to read it, it probably does make the show better) and much thanks to those who continue to show their support. Cheers

AL-MO
03-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Apologies to those who felt misled - that wasn't our intention. Not everything always works out the way we want it to and sometimes we have to improvise. When you're doing 150 shows a year, the reality is not all of them are going to be 40-yard strikes.

In the last couple months we've had on JDG, DeRo, Jimmy Conrad, Declan Hill, Stephen Hart, Bob Lenarduzzi (and many more) and broke a bunch of news on the MLS/CBA front, NASL expansion and CSA - I'd like to think our record is pretty good. But criticism is always welcomed (while I don't always like to read it, it probably does make the show better) and much thanks to those who continue to show their support. Cheers

This is the standard you have set Ben and is why I was a bit disappointed in the Mo 'interview'.

Super
03-02-2010, 01:22 AM
This show has really grown on me, and I try to listen in every time there's a new podcast. There's really nothing like it out there, besides the Soccer show of course, so I'm just happy it's available to us. Good stuff - and keep up the great work, Ben! I'm sure we won't have anymore fake interviews ;)

SweetOwnGoal
03-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm a regular listener but I think it has gone downhill recently. If Ben and Duane are the guests or even Duane on his own there is usually a good level of discussion but Squizz seems to manage to dumb it down if he is on. He sounds pretty knowledgeable but I can do without the 'sound effects' and Mo impersonations. I think some of the shows are recorded late in the evening when there has been too much pre-show lubrication!

In the early days when we were doing five a week and taping at 2 a.m., we did indeed go to Scallys a few times before. We made a decision to cut back to 3X a week and tape at 9 p.m. in Jan. Since then we have not had any "lubrication" prior to any show.

That's not to say that every show is reward winning. Clearly, we are on our game on some nights more than others.

Daniel does know his stuff. Please try and look past the comedy bits, which have their fans, and listen to what he is saying.

As for the comedy bits...we do far less of them now than in the beginning. I'm not sure why we have to be SO. Serious. All. The. Time. It is football, after all.

The "Mo Johnston" interview was clearly satire.

Thanks for listening.
Duane

SweetOwnGoal
03-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Where can i find the re-mix they are using at the end of the show?

One of Ben's friends made it for us. It's an original.

KRO
03-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Keep up the good work guys and thanks for the responses. I'll be listening to the latest download on my way home from work tonight.

Stouffville_RPB
03-03-2010, 11:00 AM
The interview was always tagged as "Mo Johnston" in quotes everywhere I saw it. Pretty clear it wasn't the real Mo. Suprised people got that worked up about it.

Side note: Supertramp-Crime of the Century = AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!!!

Ossington Mental Youth
03-26-2010, 10:12 AM
If it makes Duane feel better, i think Squizz is less funny than him.
That being said keep up the great work guys

Davenport
03-26-2010, 10:15 AM

What's a 40 yard strike ?

Davenport
03-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Ignore that last one, I get it.