PDA

View Full Version : 2010

[NBF]
02-24-2010, 06:28 PM
:canada:Lets be realistic, the labour dispute is hindering the team to pick up a good centre back, but in the past when have we really seen change to the team this late in the season.

It seems to me like we're set for the season to look like this:

Legend: Canadian(6), American(9), International(6)

---------------------------------Frei----------------------------------
-------------------------------Edwards--------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wynne------------Attakora---------------Garcia------------Brennan
*Herold------------Gomez------------------Hayden---------------*Gala
Cronin------------DeGuzman-----------*Robinson---------DeRosario
Peterson---------*Joseph------------------Sanyang------------????????
-------------------Gerba------------------Barrett--------------------
-------------------Ibrahim-------------------White---------------------

*Zach Herold, I'm not sure if he can be a reliable substitute off the bench.

*Gabe Gala, I'm not sure why we're keeping the kid, he's playing for his school, and if he returns from school TFC will hold his rights. So why is he on the bench?

*Carl Robinson, He saw some injuries at the end of last season but he's more likely to start for TFC(Not saying he's our best choice). I just don't see him taking a substitute role and an international spot.

*Nana Joseph, I'm not sure if he's a centre midfielder, defensive midfielder or if he plays on the left/right wing.

*???????, I wrote this because its a void that needs filling, if we're on the road, and like most games, Gala is not available as a substitute on the bench.

The World Cup:

*I'm not sure if they'll play through or if they plan on stopping play during the World Cup.

This is what our team might look like during the month between June and Mid-July:

---------------------------------Frei----------------------------------
-------------------------------Edwards--------------------------------
Attakora-----------Gomez----------------Garcia------------Brennan
*Herold------------------------------------Hayden---------------*Gala
Peterson----------DeGuzman-----------*Robinson--------DeRosario
-------------------*Joseph----------------Sanyang------------????????
-------------------Gerba------------------Barrett--------------------
-------------------Ibrahim-------------------White---------------------

This roster for this time period doesn't look bad, but if you consider Herold and Gala's experience and skill level, you have to be a bit worried. Not to forget Hayden is no faster than Garcia and he might be the only other option available in defense(I don't consider Robinson an option at CB).

Also, Peterson, Hayden, White, Barrett, and Robinson are not the poster boys for staying injury free. Here's for hoping for a miracle with no fitness coach:drinking:

Hitcho
02-24-2010, 06:34 PM
I think you nailed it in your first line - until the CBA is sorted out we can't have any idea what the squad will look like. Teams are just being too cagey on trades and signings.

Having said that, I'd be worried if we had a starting XI that had Jimmy B at left back and De Ro as an out and out left mid. Jimmy would be my first choice at left mid, so I hope we pick up a left back. That would also allow De Ro to play through the middle as an attacking mid. I think he's wasted out wide, especially with Amado now gone and Vitti no longer an option. We'll want that creativity and drive from De Ro.

I'm going to try and pretend that I cannot see Garcia's name anywhere in your post.

spezz44
02-24-2010, 06:36 PM
You have to start off optimistic, 25-30

:flare::flare::scarf::scarf::flare::flare:

Blazer
02-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Jim Brennan and Nick Garcia?! Please. We’ll be lucky to nail down 15 wins with that D-League talent.

Super
02-24-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm less optimistic going into this season than I was last season. Not really sure how to feel about the current squad. Hoping this will be our year of course.

ArmenJBX
02-24-2010, 06:54 PM
It's Harden, not hayden.

And I'm going for 15-20

Shway
02-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Zach Herold isn't Canadian

Blazer
02-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Don't think NBF said he was?!

daner90
02-24-2010, 10:52 PM
I personally feel like Gomez proved himself as a starter with his play last season.

I would have him starting instead of jimmy b

Yagbod
02-24-2010, 11:52 PM
^ agreed. Gomez looks good. At the least 1st off the bench for a d-man.

Stouffville_RPB
02-25-2010, 08:19 AM
hahahaha Wynne isn't going to be on our roster during the WC? hahahaha he's not going to go to the WC, no chance.

Oldtimer
02-25-2010, 08:39 AM
I think Preki will do what Limniatiis did for Montreal: turn a squad with a lot of "B"-level talent into winners, just due to better organization.

MUFC_Niagara
02-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Fulham, Birmingham City, Everton, Stoke. 8-11 in thr BPL. Their wage bills are as follows, Fulham 39.3 million pounds, Birmingham 22 million, Everton 44.5 million, Stoke 11.5 million.

Those clubs achieve far above what they pay out. What makes them so succesful? Their managers. Hodgson, McLeish, Moyes, Pulis. They get the best out their players and form them into a squad that works hard for each other.

In a league like ours where everyone beats everyone. If Preki can bring the lads together into a unit, we will have a successful year and we will make the playoffs.

trane
02-25-2010, 10:06 AM
^ Exactly. That is were my hope lies with preki.

Detroit_TFC
02-25-2010, 10:12 AM
I think Preki will do what Limniatiis did for Montreal: turn a squad with a lot of "B"-level talent into winners, just due to better organization.

We've seen Preki do this with the Goats so it's not unrealistic to feel this way. I'm not sure it will happen in one season though.

For the first time we're coming in the new season without a huge amount of turnover, even though we've clearly have some critical gaps in our lineup. I'd like to see some solid, consistent team play, even if we don't have a decent pure striker to bag the goals. That would be a step forward IMO.

Oldtimer
02-25-2010, 01:28 PM
It would be nice to fill all of the holes, but every MLS side has holes. Its' what you do with them that counts.

BuSaPuNk
02-25-2010, 02:27 PM
It would be nice to fill all of the holes, but every MLS side has holes. Its' what you do with them that counts.

I think that is where Preki will also help. He has brought in some guys that could fill those holes and are players that he can probably get the most out of. Preki is the be all end all of our year. His system works we will finish in the top 5 overall.

Brooker
02-25-2010, 02:37 PM
10-15... I'd put money on 14 wins :)

MFG1
02-25-2010, 07:01 PM
i picked 10-15 but if there is any type of strike/lockout/work to rule im out after this year. As it was with baseball, and more recently hockey, no season is enough for me to lose interest

LapDance
02-27-2010, 01:18 AM
I heard Johnston.

nascarguy
02-27-2010, 11:55 PM
we better have 35 points by july and 45+ by the end of aug & by the end of the season 50

TFCknw
02-28-2010, 01:03 AM
we better have 35 points by july and 45+ by the end of aug & by the end of the season 50

i think you are funny

Damien
02-28-2010, 02:44 AM
I'd say we're seriously dreaming about anything beyond 13-14 wins...

Juanito
03-02-2010, 07:04 PM
We weren't good enough last season, what makes us think that we will be significantly better this year without major reinforcements? I am not optimistic at all. If Philadelphia does better than us this year, I'm going to lose it!!

bgnewf
03-02-2010, 10:55 PM
This is way too early a time to ask this question considering where we are at this point. There are so many question marks.

Here we are in season four and we still have those three nagging issues that we have from seasons one, two & three. Who is playing centre back? Who is playing on the wing? Who is our go to striker???

We have definitely upgraded our coaching situation. Actually we have our first real coach since the team started in my opinion. In a parity league you need a coach with the tactical acumen to steal you a few games here and there. That in itself can be the difference between success and failure. Props to Mo on this one so far.

A number of players that came to TFC last season are still getting incomplete grades going into season four. Is JDG going to be worth DP money? Will Gerba become the striker we need or the journeyman he has always been everywhere else he has played? Is OBW the real deal?

Three players who are pencilled into our starting lineup as it stands, it is fair to say in my opinion, took significant steps backwards last season. Wynne, Garcia and Barrett have a lot to prove and I think it is very difficult to really get a grip on how these three players are going to contribute.

We have a relatively small roster of signed players by league standards. We have by all accounts significant cap and allocation issues that are going to make it hard for Mo to do what he ideally wants to do.

We have grass. That itself could make BMO more of the fortress we all want it to be.

Some positives, some negatives and a whole lot of uncertainty and question marks.

Three and a half weeks to opening day.

I_AM_CANADIAN
03-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Don't you just love descriptive thread titles?

MUFC_Niagara
03-08-2010, 10:17 PM
I know its early, but in previous years I have been extremely excited and have had high expectations at the start of the season. This season I am excited but extremely concerned.

Kilgore Trout
03-09-2010, 01:33 AM
We weren't good enough last season, what makes us think that we will be significantly better this year without major reinforcements? I am not optimistic at all. If Philadelphia does better than us this year, I'm going to lose it!!
we had a better roster than most teams last season, and were only a couple of points away from finishing in a position I'm sure most fans would have been relatively pleased with. However, we had a shitty coach. I mean, a REALLY shitty coach.