PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Window now Open: 15 June - 15 August

Lucky Strike
06-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Pretty self-explanatory.

- I'm eager to see how the Brian McBride situation plays out.
- Is a DP striker coming?
- Where/when will Cunningham be dealt?
- Is Darren Huckerby in the wings somewhere?

I'm psyched!

TFC07
06-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Let the rumours begin!

Houston needs a striker! Maybe we can trade cunny to them?

MG42
06-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Let the rumours begin!

Houston needs a striker! Maybe we can trade cunny to them?

For DeRo!!!!

LOL

bangersandmash
06-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I've said it elsewhere, so I'll say it here.... TFC should be chasing Eidur Godjohnson. He's out of contract, so we won't have to pay anyone (except Eidur) to get him. He's not too young and not too old. Iceland's international duties aren't likely to be too problematic. I've also heard rumours that he knows where the back of the net is.

Cunningham won't be dealt, he'll just be let go.

MG42
06-16-2008, 12:51 PM
I've said it elsewhere, so I'll say it here.... TFC should be chasing Eidur Godjohnson. He's out of contract, so we won't have to pay anyone (except Eidur) to get him. He's not too young and not too old. Iceland's international duties aren't likely to be too problematic. I've also heard rumours that he knows where the back of the net is.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Ring/5548/index.html

http://www.cctv.com/program/sportsscene/20061222/images/1166769591226_foot_r.jpg

ACSertL
06-16-2008, 12:53 PM

This guy never crossed my mind...but if he were to find his way here I would not have a problem indeed!

I can see the horned helmets in the South End already :)

The only drawback I can see is that he may be a commodity that a European team would gladly want on their squad.

SEXYGREEKMALE
06-16-2008, 01:01 PM

Panathinaikos of Greece is going after him and are throwing alot of money at him.

bangersandmash
06-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Panathinaikos of Greece is going after him and are throwing alot of money at him.

We'll just have to take him to "Taste of the Danforth" and show him that he can get bbq'd meat on a stick here, too.

SilverSamurai
06-16-2008, 01:07 PM
For DeRo!!!!

LOL

Toss in CV2 and say it's a final offer.
Trade bait!:taz:

Oldtimer
06-16-2008, 01:16 PM

Not a chance of that. "Trader Mo" will sell him to someone for something.
Cunningham's stock is still quite high in MLS, despite the fact some supporters don't like him here. He has three goals this season, about half of what he would normally get, not great but not horrible either.

noochie
06-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Nothing new here, but an article that sums up the position on McBride nicely. The longer this goes on the more I think that we may end doing a deal with a Western Conference team (who has an open DP slot) as opposed to the Fire directly...

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=738751

Lucky Strike
06-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Our DP slot is likely also unavailable because that's what we are searching for. As for any deal that we swing in the McBride affair, it will involve either: value players (good skills/performance + low cost), allocation money, draft picks or any combination of the above. We need to clear some salary in our quest for a DP and while dealing Cunningham would help, this would be undone if we pick up expensive players. My personal preference would be allocation money, a bad team's first draft pick (like Kansas City) and a value player to plug a hole (wherever Mo and Carver deem it necessary).

ExiledRed
06-16-2008, 02:38 PM
He has three goals this season, about half of what he would normally get, not great but not horrible either.

If he only averaged 6 goals a season he'd be number 60, not 96.

not horrible? he's fucking TERRIBLE.

Edson Buddle has 8 goals this season, I said that guy had poor service and would be a strong poacher if we could get the ball to him, and that is being proved in LA. Despite assisting Danny's first goal, he was run out of town.

Now we have midfielders more than capable of delivering good service to the forwards (as evidenced by the number of chances Cunny gets) and a forward who has no idea what to do with the ball when he gets it.

Who wants that?

Maybe lst year SJ would have taken him, but I think they'll stay away now.

Draracle
06-16-2008, 05:16 PM
I cant believe we haven't signed anyone yet? What is Mo doing? He is such a hack!

(just thought I would get a head start on everyone)

but seriously. our void at striker has been so glaring... something must be happening.

Steve
06-16-2008, 05:25 PM
I cant believe we haven't signed anyone yet? What is Mo doing? He is such a hack!

(just thought I would get a head start on everyone)

but seriously. our void at striker has been so glaring... something must be happening.

I wouldn't say glaring. We have Dichio and Cunningham, neither are terrible (despite what some say). I agree we need to be looking at a DP striker to complete the puzzle, but I don't think the situation is as dire (glaring?) as you indicate.

Draracle
06-16-2008, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't say glaring. We have Dichio and Cunningham, neither are terrible (despite what some say). I agree we need to be looking at a DP striker to complete the puzzle, but I don't think the situation is as dire (glaring?) as you indicate.

Glaring to say the least. Dichio is great, but he definitely can't do what Cunny is SUPPOSED to do. Cunny is absolute shit. He runs are poor, he lacks confidence, he misses the target far too often for a striker, and his only talent is diving. Smith is ok, but his finish is poor and his inexperience shows -- he makes a far better winger. Guevara is king, but he plays back a bit and is often stifled by too many defenders and no speedy, creative striker.

The rest of our team is fairly solid. We have great starters and great bench depth. Even at keeper Edwards is good for a backup. Striker is the only position where we are weak and have virtually no bench depth.

DigzTFC!
06-16-2008, 06:08 PM
I'd like to see Amado Guevara move back in the midfield in a 4-4-2. Then a DP striker with DD as the target. Danny is fine and has scored way more than we all thought he would. If we get someone with a similar skill set to Robbie Keane (not him) it would be a great compliment. Pauleta has offers from the US in reports which from past history includes Canada, so there might be something there. Dickov has been linked, but thats a role player not a DP. I think Mo is looking for a short-term DP and waiting on certain guys to be ready to make the move....like an Henry. No offense to MLSE haters, but I think they want a big name striker to grow the club and brand nationally and internationally.

If you want the nickel and cents rationale....the leafs will off loading their big contracts and refueling with youth. Younger players have less expensive contracts for years. Thus, the Leafs could be millions of dollars under the cap for the first time in years. In terms of profit, MLSE could reinvest the cash not used on the leafs to buy a DP and watch merchandise sales and ad revenues sky rocket for TFC. This may sound like a conspiracy theory, but I think its a real possibility. If not, MLSE can afford it anyways.

Nuvinho
06-16-2008, 06:18 PM
What happened to the Kluivert rumours? Didn't they make an offer to him right before the window closed?

jloome
06-16-2008, 07:22 PM
They were never more than rumours, confirmed as such by one of the papers, I think the Star.

Would have had a hard time getting a quick work permit for him, given the indictable on his record for manslaugher or DD causing death, or something.

nascarguy
06-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Pretty self-explanatory.

I'm psyched!Huckerby is not coming to the MLS he was just signed to a team

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Huckerby is not coming to the MLS he was just signed to a team

link...MOFO!:D

ME NO BELEIVE!

justin
06-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Huckerby is not coming to the MLS he was just signed to a team

care to provide a link?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-16-2008, 08:47 PM
care to provide a link?

he had a vision!....

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Pretty self-explanatory.

I'm psyched!

Cunny is playing well he should go anywhere, DP don't need one our ground is full. Huckerby....average could be good coming off the bench.

T_Mizz
06-16-2008, 09:05 PM
you can't get a player of that caliber simply to make him "come off the bench" anyone in the south stand when TFC is attacking can tell you how awful his finish is and if TFC wants to actually compete and win they need a DP not just to fill the stadium

nascarguy
06-16-2008, 09:20 PM
care to provide a link?
Sheffield United and Crystal Palace in race for released Norwich winger Darren Huckerby
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-564412/Sheffield-United-Crystal-Palace-race-released-Norwich-winger-Darren-Huckerby.html
Last updated at 20:09 06 May 2008

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Sheffield United and Crystal Palace in race for released Norwich winger Darren Huckerby
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-564412/Sheffield-United-Crystal-Palace-race-released-Norwich-winger-Darren-Huckerby.html

An article from May? Anything more current?

Pachuco
06-16-2008, 09:24 PM

IT SAYS NOWHERE HE'S BEEN SIGNED!!!

Razcle
06-16-2008, 09:28 PM
I remember he was getting a sniff at Celtic....but European soccer has way too many rumors to follow.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-16-2008, 09:33 PM
An article from May? Anything more current?

06 May 2008 to be exact!:D

noochie
06-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I remember he was getting a sniff at Celtic....but European soccer has way too many rumors to follow.

And I think that rumor came from Tribalfootball.com... so you might as well throw that one out :)

nascarguy
06-16-2008, 09:34 PM
yeah that is where I heard he got sign but no news about it I look on the site
http://www.transfermarketweb.com/index.php

Footie-11
06-16-2008, 11:27 PM
I really think this will be a very quiet window for TFC. Thy are playing great (well at home anyways..) and are preety well out of salarry cap room for these players. They'd have to make various changes to accomidate 1 or 2 new players and im not so sure Carver is looking to re-arrgane his roster.

Northern Soul
06-16-2008, 11:32 PM
I really think this will be a very quiet window for TFC. Thy are playing great (well at home anyways..) and are preety well out of salarry cap room for these players. They'd have to make various changes to accomidate 1 or 2 new players and im not so sure Carver is looking to re-arrgane his roster.

We need a striker. Mo said that they are looking for one.

Daveisonfire
06-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Oh Big Bruva, where are you now??:D

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-17-2008, 01:29 AM
We need a striker. Mo said that they are looking for one.

Additionally Carver has said they plan to be active during the window (either in a TFC TV episode or on Sportsnet Connected segment).

I agree 100% that we need another striker. However, I’m wondering if the player will be a DP. The big names we’ve been connected with seemed to have fallen off the transfer radar.