PDA

View Full Version : Who the hell is Estelle???

flatpicker
06-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Estelle headlines All-Star Halftime Show

London-based R&B artist to perform first single, "American Boy"

NEW YORK -- London-based R&B artist Estelle will perform at the 2008 Pepsi MLS All-Star Game Halftime Show, broadcast live to a national television audience on Thursday, July 24th at 7:00 p.m. ET on ESPN2, TeleFutura and CBC. Major League Soccer's 13th annual All-Star Game features the 2008 MLS All-Star squad taking on the storied English Premier League side, West Ham United, at BMO Field in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Homeschool/Atlantic recording artist Estelle, who will be performing her first single "American Boy" during the Halftime Show, is fresh off the release of her second critically-acclaimed album Shine. Estelle teamed up with Kanye West and will.i.am from the Black Eyes Peas on "American Boy", a funk infused number one hit on the international charts.

more... if you care... (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080616&content_id=165970&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp)

?????

As if we couldn't have hired The Guess Who for a hundred bucks and a chip butty!

:noidea:

Azerban
06-16-2008, 11:09 AM
i will be outside having a smoke

alexintoronto
06-16-2008, 11:10 AM
An English artist performing an American song in Canada.

Damien
06-16-2008, 11:11 AM
I've heard the song "American Boy"... but i'm not really into R&B.

Leprechaun
06-16-2008, 11:11 AM
lame

Ossington Mental Youth
06-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Whatevs, its a pop song thats playing all teh time.
I can think of worse (Barenaked Ladies anyone)

Jay P
06-16-2008, 11:17 AM
will Kanye be there too?

flatpicker
06-16-2008, 11:18 AM
^

I have never heard of her or the song.
I guess I'm just not hip to the jive... dig?

I must be getting old...

bdrs
06-16-2008, 11:41 AM
awesome! She kills. Just saw her at the mod club. Great performance. Looking forward to it.

Pinkie
06-16-2008, 11:44 AM
like to song, interrested in the artist....might actually stick around for the half-time show for once during a game!

TFC Via Buffalo
06-16-2008, 11:52 AM
An English artist performing an American song in Canada.

:noidea:

JonO
06-16-2008, 11:56 AM
I've heard American Boy and I think it's pretty good. Will definitely give her a shot at the half. All part of the entertainment

flatpicker
06-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Will definitely give her a shot at the half. All part of the entertainment

by that I assume you mean watching her perform right?

JonO
06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah - that's what I meant - watch her perform... exactly

Eastend
06-16-2008, 12:08 PM
^^ audience participation maybe?

TFC07
06-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Here's the song:

yweinNywpOM

Billy the kid
06-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Mabe they're trying to capture a bigger audience across the pond. I imagine it will be carried in other countries on various local stations atleast.

Oldtimer
06-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Just think in Super Bowl terms. "Name" acts are part of the show.

I'd rather hear the Guess Who, but then I'm an "Oldtimer."

andyc
06-16-2008, 12:53 PM
I think that some of the lads on TFC will be happier that it's Estelle rather than Guess Who!

flatpicker
06-16-2008, 12:56 PM
well... I was being facetious about The Guess Who.
I just didn't realise that Estelle was popular in around these parts... mainly because I'm not up on my R&B.
So I just thought that they could have picked someone that more Canadians could enjoy... I guess they did...

Red CB Toronto
06-16-2008, 01:12 PM
It will be amazing hearing American Boy, how could TFC fans be upset with this choice, now if they could add the Saturdays, that would be awsome.

Pachuco
06-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I like this choice!

sully
06-16-2008, 02:05 PM
i will be outside having a smoke

me too

ilikemusic
06-16-2008, 02:07 PM
It will be amazing hearing American Boy, how could TFC fans be upset with this choice, now if they could add the Saturdays, that would be awsome.

Overall I think it is well established that Toronto FC's fanbase skews signifficantly older than the rest of MLS. An up and coming r&b singer from the UK isnt likely to ring very many bells around here (I know I hadn't heard of her until this morning, and im still only 23).

Though I dont think anybody will/should complain all that much. I think alot of us are just thankful it isnt Bowling For Soup or some other shitty American pop-punk band.

sully
06-16-2008, 02:10 PM
"Throughout Shine, Estelle combines sensual, thoughtful love songs that display her unmistakable womanliness with a collection of edgy hip hop songs littered with thought provoking lyricism...." - wha?? but maybe Ricketts could do ball tricks to whatever that means...

Marc"2L"
06-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Just think in Super Bowl terms. "Name" acts are part of the show.

I'd rather hear the Guess Who, but then I'm an "Oldtimer."

Fuck that. I'm 20 and I would rather The Guess Who, I'd settle for Guess Who tribute.

masrawy
06-16-2008, 02:21 PM
http://www.screenthug.com/images/gilfs/constanza.gif

NF-FC
06-16-2008, 03:16 PM
woulda been nice to get a canadian act. Sam Roberts would've been great

edit* but knowing mls it woulda been nickleback or BNL

Jay P
06-16-2008, 03:29 PM
^^^
sam roberts played at the winter classic at the ralph... and i like sam, but he was terrible live... maybe cause it was cold but shit wow ...he sucked.

MLS + ESPN + selling soccer to the US = Estelle @ halftime ( Estelle would catch the MTV Crowd watching to see Beckham lol )

no need to further sell this to the canadians... we already pack BMO week in and week out.

Red CB Toronto
06-16-2008, 03:35 PM
If they want someone from the UK, what about the Saturdays? They could play their new hit "If This Is Love", BMO would rock.

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/music/first-look/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=8588014

Batman
06-16-2008, 07:16 PM
who the f*ck?

Cant we find a Canadian?

Roogsy
06-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Will Kanye make an appearance???

icecoldbeer
06-16-2008, 07:27 PM
who the f*ck?

Cant we find a Canadian?

Nelly Furtado:eek:

But seriously, Estelle is pretty popular...her song American Boy...sung in Canada? Thanks MLS! :canada:

JonO
06-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Bah - she's really popular in the UK... shouldn't that be enough for us?

Roogsy
06-16-2008, 07:48 PM
We are Euro-snobs...we should be on board with this!

Dirk Diggler
06-16-2008, 07:55 PM
I've personally never heard of her or any of her songs, although it seems that she is quite high profile.

RealG-TFC
06-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Will Kanye make an appearance???

That's what I want to know!

Dirk Diggler
06-16-2008, 08:12 PM
That's what I want to know!

I really doubt it. If he was, they'd make him the centre of promotion, not Estelle who no one even knows about.

Hooligan69
06-16-2008, 08:14 PM
A big "Who Are Ya" at half-time when she comes out. :lol:

Kevvv
06-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Overall I think it is well established that Toronto FC's fanbase skews signifficantly older than the rest of MLS. An up and coming r&b singer from the UK isnt likely to ring very many bells around here (I know I hadn't heard of her until this morning, and im still only 23).

Though I dont think anybody will/should complain all that much. I think alot of us are just thankful it isnt Bowling For Soup or some other shitty American pop-punk band.

"Jimmy Eat World" played the 2007 MLS Cup - which gave me just enough time to get beer and a dog.

In other news, Lenny Kravitz played the 2007 Grey Cup a week later....

RealG-TFC
06-16-2008, 08:45 PM
I really doubt it. If he was, they'd make him the centre of promotion, not Estelle who no one even knows about.

damn.

canadian_bhoy
06-16-2008, 08:46 PM
How come it couldn't be some good old eurotrash group like those chicks who sing las ketchup

RFzyYYZsxGc

Other strong contenders would be the Venga Boys

aUUGblNjK20

Or the all time worst ever, Eifel 65...sit back and get a load of these douche bags!

mL2UsAbI1hg

JonO
06-16-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm blue, dubbu dee...

JonO
06-16-2008, 09:06 PM
The Lightning Seeds? They do football...

96-zW2c8H2o

JonO
06-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Hmmmm... then again, so does this guy:

HEQRWlPf66M

JonO
06-16-2008, 09:10 PM
And last but not least....
pQKdNtf9GHs

TFC07
06-16-2008, 11:18 PM
You guys gotta remember that MLS is trying to tap into youth hip Americans (maybe Canadians too) market. Estelle right now is one of the most popular singers in that market. Also fact she is huge in UK and perhaps rest of Europe might bring more attention from there about all-star game. So this wasn't a bad choice for MLS.

Draracle
06-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Not a bad choice to grab attention in England and the young crowd in the USofA. But as far as the football crowd in Tornoto?

Broadview
06-17-2008, 03:04 AM
Not a bad choice to grab attention in England and the young crowd in the USofA. But as far as the football crowd in Tornoto?

No need to preach to the choir I suppose :)

Fort York Redcoat
06-17-2008, 06:34 AM
Nice touch MLS. American Boy will be sung in a Canadian stadium the first time we host this joke of a game. If I want to watch the best in the league I'll watch my National side:canada:. Have fun to all the Hammers, though:). Saw some at the game on Sat.

mclaren
06-17-2008, 07:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VbzEqXaThY

Oldtimer
06-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Since the whole show is organized by MLS (TFC just provides the venue), just blame some American marketing wiz in the league FO for this.

Parkdale
06-17-2008, 09:07 AM
anyone got a picture?

Dirk Diggler
06-17-2008, 11:19 AM
You guys gotta remember that MLS is trying to tap into youth hip Americans (maybe Canadians too) market. Estelle right now is one of the most popular singers in that market. Also fact she is huge in UK and perhaps rest of Europe might bring more attention from there about all-star game. So this wasn't a bad choice for MLS.

Is she really popular in that demographic? I'm 18 and I've honestly never heard of her before...neither have a lot of other people in my age group.

werewolf
06-17-2008, 11:30 AM
its more for TV anyway, its not like people in Canada watch MLS outside of the stadium anyway.

I think we should stay in the stands and go through some TFC chants, but of course people have to fill up on beer, so thats not really possible.

Jay P
06-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Is she really popular in that demographic? I'm 18 and I've honestly never heard of her before...neither have a lot of other people in my age group.

if you don't listen to flow 93.5 or z103, watch BET or MTV, you prolly won't know who she is.

ilikemusic
06-17-2008, 11:50 AM
if you don't listen to flow 93.5 or z103, watch BET or MTV, you prolly won't know who she is.

Sooooooo....people with a brain then? ;)

GabrielHurl
06-17-2008, 11:56 AM
anyone got a picture?

http://i32.tinypic.com/2saxytj.jpg

ilikemusic
06-17-2008, 11:56 AM
She looks like July Black.

NF-FC
06-17-2008, 11:58 AM
The Following is a list of acts that would have been more appropriate than "Estelle"

Arcade Fire
Attack in Black
Billy Talent
Die Mannequin
Finger Eleven
Hostage Life
Hot Hot Heat
Kardinal Offishall
MSTRKRFT
Mobile
Sam Roberts
Social Code
Tokyo Police Club

feel free to add, i think this could be a reeeeeeeeeally long list

ilikemusic
06-17-2008, 12:18 PM
The Following is a list of acts that would have been more appropriate than "Estelle"

Arcade Fire
Attack in Black
Billy Talent
Die Mannequin
Finger Eleven
Hostage Life
Hot Hot Heat
Kardinal Offishall
MSTRKRFT
Mobile
Sam Roberts
Social Code
Tokyo Police Club

Thats alot closer to what I had expected. Not that any of them interest me a whole lot either, I just thought they might use the opportunity to get a local band that the crowd would like (if only because they are local) and that was gaining noteriety in the US. I know Three Days Grace are (or at least were) really big in the US. They topped MTV's countdowns and such so I thought they would be a good choice (I hate them too btw). lol. For a person whose name is ilikemusic I sure do seem to hate alot of music. :D

Jay P
06-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Sooooooo....people with a brain then? ;)

ZING! HAHA i don't either .. can't stand either station.. satallite radio is so much better :)

flatpicker
06-17-2008, 12:21 PM
definitely NF-FC

I understand that she is apparently popular (though many of us haven't hear of her)
But I really think they halftime show should be a rock band...
...something with a little more punch to keep the crowd lively.

Oldtimer
06-17-2008, 12:22 PM
It could have been worse.
it could have been Madonna.:eek:

edmundo
06-17-2008, 12:29 PM
estelle has something to say to all you haters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gdkxTONV5U

NF-FC
06-17-2008, 12:29 PM
personally, i think that a band like billy talent would have been great for this. Massive in Canada, unknown in the states. give them visibility across the border.

but if they wanted to go for the hippity hop demographic, why not Kardinal or Saukrates (or both?)

werewolf
06-17-2008, 12:32 PM
estelle has something to say to all you haters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gdkxTONV5U

That guy asked if she thinks the MLS can be like the Champions League....:noidea:

Ossington Mental Youth
06-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Im going for the soccer, couldnt give a fuck whos at half.

TFC07
06-17-2008, 03:55 PM

Arcade Fire
Attack in Black
Billy Talent
Die Mannequin
Finger Eleven
Hostage Life
Hot Hot Heat
Kardinal Offishall
MSTRKRFT
Mobile
Sam Roberts
Social Code
Tokyo Police Club

He is friends with Estelle. So don't be surprise if he's at the game.

rocker
06-17-2008, 05:57 PM
I want Led Zeppelin as the halftime show.

nascarguy
06-17-2008, 07:51 PM
they sould have book this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBJJJL3yDk&feature=user

a singer from canada he has a hit song and just preform on the mmva

but it's a good thing they did not book this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI4BDDZ9EOY

icecoldbeer
06-17-2008, 08:05 PM
He is friends with Estelle. So don't be surprise if he's at the game.

They will probably do this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLKp50oS6Y4

manic.street.preacher
06-17-2008, 08:36 PM
woot tokyo police club, saw them last year at virgin festival, rox my sox they did ... that bloody Estelle tune managed to find it's way onto my ipod, all my coworkers listen to is the radio station Flow and now i get all these pop songs stuck in my head :S and kardinal played that dangerous song at our college pub waaay before it was released as a single, i'm getting mighty sick of it

edmundo
06-18-2008, 01:10 AM
you know the thing is alot of people who dont even like soccer will watch this game just to see the halftime show, because ill tell you right now when the superbowl actually had a decent halftime show id only watch the game to see the halftime show cuz i hate american football, but when janet showed her titties on it (which was prolly the best halftime show they ever produced btw) and they started showing all these half dead mick jagger types was the day that i officially stopped watching american football forever, so i say good on mls for getting a top 40 artist with a top 40 song to do the damn show, sorry to all you guys that want to have a canadian artist like billy talent on the show, but seriously lets keep in mind that WE PLAY IN AN AMERICAN LEAGUE AND THEY REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT OUR ARTISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

King Tut
06-18-2008, 02:06 AM
I'd rather they don't get any music artists at all and just have a football fresstyler at halftime...

ilikemusic
06-18-2008, 01:39 PM
OMG

Now that I know what the song is and am listening to it, ive heard it seems like every hour on 99.9. (im working in an office so Mix 99.9 is about as 'edgy' a station as I can put on:().

Pretty shitty song IMO and I cant imagine it transferring very well at all to a live performance (never mind one on a makeshift stage in the middle of a soccer pitch with horrible acoustics).

NF-FC
06-18-2008, 03:41 PM
^ and no kanye west

TFC07
06-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Famous & Andreena Mill - Canadian Boy

Rpjn2ZHzkro

canadian_bhoy
06-18-2008, 03:59 PM
I don't know what everyone is complaining about.

Sure it may not be your style of music, but the fact that TFC landed an act that is this popular (right now) is amazing!

werewolf
06-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Famous & Andreena Mill - Canadian Boy

Rpjn2ZHzkro

:canada:

nice video.

MisterMacphisto
06-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Whatever artist they have... to me its all background music to me taking a piss.

flatpicker
06-18-2008, 08:35 PM
I don't know what everyone is complaining about.

Sure it may not be your style of music, but the fact that TFC landed an act that is this popular (right now) is amazing!

I never actually complained about the music (though now that I have listened to it, it isn't exactly my thang... but it's ok)
I was complaining that I had never heard of the act... but now I have been informed that she is popular... so it's all good I guess.
I just listen to the wrong radio stations I suppose.

tfc88
06-19-2008, 01:11 PM
wow I read a lot of posts on this msg board everyday, and I usually don't get involved but I have something to say to all who bashed MLS's choice on this one..

THERE ARE SOO MANY LOSERS ON THIS SITE.

Like seriously, Estelle is probably the BEST act we could have possibly booked. This song is one of the biggest songs in the world right now, and Kanye one of the biggest artists. I like many genres of music, but personally I haven't been listening to rnb/hiphop the past few years as I see nothing new or exciting (not to mention how repetitively negative the lyrics can be). That being said, anyone who says the song is crap is full of it. The beat is off the hook, hence the reason it's doing so popular with a wide audience. If you can avoid listening to shitty radio then you can avoid overplaying good songs and hearing garbage ones. Like cmon, tell me that Q107 doesn't play the same shit everyday.

For those in the know in the Toronto club/music scene, Toronto is definitely hot right now, with MANY famous acts appearing regularly. Even Armin Van Buuren and Benny B, 2 famous house/trance dj's released their CD's at events here. Kanye is here on the regular, and he setup a wicked after-party after his concert with Lupe Fiasco, Rhianna, Chris Brown and Pharell at CiRCA a few weeks back.

If you've seen the video for American Boy, you'll see that Toronto's own Kardinall is in it. If these guys were smart, he'd make an appearance and do a rendition of 'Canadian Boy'. The earlier version on this thread was complete shite btw...

If Kanye were to make an appearance that would top it off.. although I frankly couldn't be bothered to look up his schedule.. in any case there's tons of money to be made, especially if they can get him to come.

So if you want tragically hip, or the guess who, well frick off. Billy Talent would have been cool, but hey I think Estelle trumps them in terms of current popularity.

Ok I know I'm ranting, and everything has been incoherent, so what's my point? Sometimes I read this board and think that some of these people have NO lives. I'm not going to bash someone for not following pop-culture or the like, or being obsessed with celebrities like a 14 year old girl, but sometimes you have to take a step back, and look at things from outside what's considered the popular perspective. And trust me, the regulars on this board do a good job of creating an image for the group of us.

What I'm really pissed about, is why a shite team like West Ham is coming instead of Liverpool. Please tell me we're going to give'em the "You're worse than Millwall!" chants???

Bobo
06-19-2008, 01:15 PM

Arcade Fire
Attack in Black
Billy Talent
Die Mannequin
Finger Eleven
Hostage Life
Hot Hot Heat
Kardinal Offishall
MSTRKRFT
Mobile
Sam Roberts
Social Code
Tokyo Police Club

SNOW!

Informer you no say dat it is who me a go blame
A licky boom boom down
Detective man say mi Daddy Snow I stabbed someone down the lane
A lickey boom boom down

ilikemusic
06-19-2008, 01:20 PM
wow I read a lot of posts on this msg board everyday, and I usually don't get involved but I have something to say to all who bashed MLS's choice on this one..

Like seriously, Estelle is probably the BEST act we could have possibly booked. This song is one of the biggest songs in the world right now, and Kanye one of the biggest artists. I like many genres of music, but personally I haven't been listening to rnb/hiphop the past few years as I see nothing new or exciting (not to mention how repetitively negative the lyrics can be). That being said, anyone who says the song is crap is full of it. The beat is off the hook, hence the reason it's doing so popular with a wide audience. If you can avoid listening to shitty radio then you can avoid overplaying good songs and hearing garbage ones. Like cmon, tell me that Q107 doesn't play the same shit everyday.

If Kanye were to make an appearance that would top it off.. although I frankly couldn't be bothered to look up his schedule.. in any case there's tons of money to be made, especially if they can get him to come.

So if you want tragically hip, or the guess who, well frick off. Billy Talent would have been cool, but hey I think Estelle trumps them in terms of current popularity.

Ok I know I'm ranting, and everything has been incoherent, so what's my point? Sometimes I read this board and think that some of these people have NO lives. I'm not going to bash someone for not following pop-culture or the like, or being obsessed with celebrities like a 14 year old girl, but sometimes you have to take a step back, and look at things from outside what's considered the popular perspective. And trust me, the regulars on this board do a good job of creating an image for the group of us.

What I'm really pissed about, is why a shite team like West Ham is coming instead of Liverpool. Please tell me we're going to give'em the "You're worse than Millwall!" chants???

Well you certainly did rant. I think youve made alot of generalizations and stated alot of opinions as fact. Ill only comment on a few because I cant be bothered to do an entire response right now.

I wouldnt consider people losers for not following the latest trends in r&b and dance music.

If having a life means worphipping the latest 'it' artist to collaborate with a big name producer then ill be happy getting by without one.

TFC Via Buffalo
06-19-2008, 01:22 PM
SNOW!

Informer you no say dat it is who me a go blame
A licky boom boom down
Detective man say mi Daddy Snow I stabbed someone down the lane
A lickey boom boom down

Best idea yet.

Can we just get Dave Coulier to do stand up during half instead and Alanis Morresette to sing. It will be the biggest reunion since, well, ever.

tfc88
06-19-2008, 01:23 PM
oh better add this in to defend myself from the above comment.. i'm really hungover, and i've read so much shit on the board the past few weeks that pisses me off that i had to let it all out. Obviously there would be many other great choices for a halftime show, but at least it's not Simple Plan.. am I right? Or BNL for that matter..

Northern Soul
06-19-2008, 01:23 PM

For those in the know in the Toronto club/music scene, Toronto is definitely hot right now, with MANY famous acts appearing regularly. Even Armin Van Buuren and Benny B, 2 famous house/trance dj's released their CD's at events here. Kanye is here on the regular, and he setup a wicked after-party after his concert with Lupe Fiasco, Rhianna, Chris Brown and Pharell at CiRCA a few weeks back.

If you've seen the video for American Boy, you'll see that Toronto's own Kardinall is in it. If these guys were smart, he'd make an appearance and do a rendition of 'Canadian Boy'. The earlier version on this thread was complete shite btw...

Honestly not sure which side you're arguing on this one.

tfc88
06-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Well you certainly did rant. I think youve made alot of generalizations and stated alot of opinions as fact. Ill only comment on a few because I cant be bothered to do an entire response right now.

I wouldnt consider people losers for not following the latest trends in r&b and dance music.

If having a life means worphipping the latest 'it' artist to collaborate with a big name producer then ill be happy getting by without one.

I don't worship 'it' artists by any means. Lately, I'm into dirty house, progressive, trance and electro, which I realize is not most people's cup of tea. I think many can admit though, that aside frpm radio overplaying songs to death, and shows like the Hills rotting people's brains, a lot of these new pop songs actually have cool, catchy beats.

Cambridge_Red
06-19-2008, 01:36 PM
If I were going I would be in line either for the bathroom or for beer. So really who gives a turd.

ilikemusic
06-19-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't worship 'it' artists by any means. Lately, I'm into dirty house, progressive, trance and electro, which I realize is not most people's cup of tea. I think many can admit though, that aside frpm radio overplaying songs to death, and shows like the Hills rotting people's brains, a lot of these new pop songs actually have cool, catchy beats.

You might think that but its till just your opinion about music. I think the song is boring, empty, repetetive and derivitive and I think many would agree.

Different strokes for different folks but nobody is a loser because they dont follow popular music trends.

tfc88
06-19-2008, 04:18 PM
You might think that but its till just your opinion about music. I think the song is boring, empty, repetetive and derivitive and I think many would agree.

Different strokes for different folks but nobody is a loser because they dont follow popular music trends.

quite right which is why i stated that in my first post, so i hope noone get's it twisted..

the reason i called ppl losers in the first msg was because they spend so much time on here i think they lose touch with reality, not pop culture. i think a lot of ppl on here come off as narrow minded. but hey i'm sure i come off that way too, and frankly i couldn't care to come on here and try and prove otherwise so i guess i'll have to let ppl think what they want.

even so, i'm a self-admitted loser so nothing wrong with that right :rolleyes:
all that really matters to me is when i'm hanging out on game day ppl enjoy chillin with me n gettin pissed..

RicoSuave44
06-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Love that song! Happy with the choice.
That was the first time I saw the video..... anybody else notice that Kardinal Offishall and Ben Harper (i think) were in the video?

Northern Soul
06-19-2008, 10:30 PM

I agree with you. Pure shite, IMO.

greatwhitenorf
06-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Oh. So that's who she is. And here's me thinking it was the other famous Estelle. Raymond Domenech's girlfriend. The one he proposed to after the loss to Italy.

As long as I get my half-time piss in before you'se do and get my second half beer ordered before you'se do, it's all good.

O_B_ONE
06-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Personally, I like Estelle. That song is huge in Europe. Everyone has their own preferences and there's no way that you're going to please over 20,000 people!

Agreed, it would be wicked if Kanye made an appearance though!!

I'll be jammin' in my seat! Ha ha ha ha!!! :D

Cashcleaner
07-03-2008, 01:27 AM
I'm almost speechless that the league is choosing Estelle over, get this - a local Canadian artist or group. Crazy talk, I know!

But the more I think about it, the more I don't like the direction MLS is going in general. This is a few days or so after Rooney is told by a league rep that he doesn't think we should be hearing one of our more colourful chants. As for the All-Star game, just think about the premise for a second here. We've got an English R&B artist singing American Boy, in Toronto for the halftime show. I've heard Estelle and while her style isn't particularly my cup o' tea, just the fact of choosing her over a Canadian artist like K-os really gets to me. The All-Star match is in itself a way to showcase our city and country, but it seems to me like the league has other plans.

JonO
07-03-2008, 09:52 PM
It really is unreasonable to expect the league to cater to Canada, unfortunately. They are still primarily an American league and they need to target their principal audience, who are Americans. This may be a good way to get people who might not normally do so to tune into the game.

I know we all like to think the world revolves around us ;) but really, it's just an all-star game. It's not supposed to be taken too seriously.

PS. I think it was brought up already, but wasn't Lenny Kravitz the half time show for the Grey Cup last year?

rocker
07-04-2008, 09:27 AM
ya lenny did the grey cup.. he was awesome.

i just think we should have a real star... not some fluke chick who will be forgotten in a year.

Cashcleaner
07-07-2008, 02:11 AM
It really is unreasonable to expect the league to cater to Canada, unfortunately. They are still primarily an American league and they need to target their principal audience, who are Americans. This may be a good way to get people who might not normally do so to tune into the game.

I know we all like to think the world revolves around us ;) but really, it's just an all-star game. It's not supposed to be taken too seriously.

PS. I think it was brought up already, but wasn't Lenny Kravitz the half time show for the Grey Cup last year?

I don't see why its unreasonable for the league to bring in a local and relevent artist for the All-Star match. The whole point of having the match played at differing venues is to expose both the sport and the city. I acknowledge that most of the audience members are American MLS fans, but having a local artist for the half-time show is not unreasonable in the slightest.

flatpicker
07-07-2008, 09:18 AM
There is this young lady I know who is hinting that she wants to go to the All-Star game with me.
But when she asks about it, she calls it the game that Estelle is performing at!
I had offered to take her to the Pachuca game and she declined simply because she didn't want to, and yet she thinks I might take her to the All-Star???

No Chance!

Bobo
07-07-2008, 10:44 AM
I don't see why its unreasonable for the league to bring in a local and relevent artist for the All-Star match. The whole point of having the match played at differing venues is to expose both the sport and the city. I acknowledge that most of the audience members are American MLS fans, but having a local artist for the half-time show is not unreasonable in the slightest.

Should have gotten the SNOWMAN for a nice HT jam. :D

jabbronies
07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Oasis would have been the only proper choice....

jaahuuu
07-07-2008, 11:35 AM

Arcade Fire
Attack in Black
Billy Talent
Die Mannequin
Finger Eleven
Hostage Life
Hot Hot Heat
Kardinal Offishall
MSTRKRFT
Mobile
Sam Roberts
Social Code
Tokyo Police Club

Sounds good to me, I'm from the US and I like 8 of them, I've seen 4 of them at concert in the US, so they have atleast some US support/appeal.

In other news, Lenny Kravitz played the 2007 Grey Cup a week later....

I heard an interview with somebody on the radio a few days before the game, organizers tried to book several Canadian Acts, but they either had other commitments or had a short break and coudn't get their equipment here in time.

Personally, I like Estelle. That song is huge in Europe. Everyone has their own preferences and there's no way that you're going to please over 20,000 people!

I heard the song 1 time before I went to england for 2 weeks and heard it about 20 more times. I'd say it's overplayed rather than huge, but that's just me. I can also name about a half dozen acts from Toronto that I would rather see (mostly from the list above), and I'm from the US. MLS probably could have saved some money too (and maybe got a better opponant. :o)

jayeden
07-07-2008, 04:40 PM
i just think we should have a real star... not some fluke chick who will be forgotten in a year.

shes been popular in the uk for just under the last decade..

ExiledRed
07-07-2008, 05:03 PM
There is this young lady I know who is hinting that she wants to go to the All-Star game with me.
But when she asks about it, she calls it the game that Estelle is performing at!
I had offered to take her to the Pachuca game and she declined simply because she didn't want to, and yet she thinks I might take her to the All-Star???

No Chance!

Do what you have to do, man.

Then move on.....simple.