PDA

View Full Version : north end stand construction??

deltox
02-19-2010, 10:12 AM
hey

anyone have any more info on the north stand?

it was approved right? has the construction begun.....any pics?

Shway
02-19-2010, 10:19 AM
same question i have been wondering...

parkdale know updates?

Phil
02-19-2010, 10:39 AM
There were some twitter pics posted a while back that showed all the patio pulled up for the new stands.

Mark in Ottawa
02-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Sounds like a job for Google earth...

drewski
02-19-2010, 10:52 AM
from january

http://img113.yfrog.com/img113/714/zhvg.jpg

mike_bouma
02-19-2010, 10:52 AM
They're busy right now. Was there last weekend and theu had the patio up, dirt all around and a bobcat on the go.

canadian_bhoy
02-19-2010, 10:59 AM
The popsicle sticks and glue must be on backorder. :D I kid I kid.

GhostKiller
02-19-2010, 11:40 AM
I talked to my account rep yesterday. He said that the stands are already well under way. Also the beer garden will still be there, because the first row of stands are a few meters up. Sounds like the beer garden is going to be under the stands the way he described it. Or in front, I don't know.

s2cazz
02-19-2010, 11:48 AM
no glue... they have spent more money and gone with pipecleaners and twist ties.
lol

Hitcho
02-19-2010, 11:48 AM
the stand is above the beer garden. the stand will start 9m above the patio. mlsintoronto posted this information a while back i think, and then confirmed on the 24th minute via phone in. the stand will be walk up tickets only according to paul (or at elast single game tickets only) for TFC fans and not away fans, and nto added to the waiting list grab bag.

it's definitely a step in the right direction for gettign BMO Field expanded and hemmed in around the pitch, so kudos for that, but i hope there's scope to one day build a fill on stand there.

cosmos
02-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Ya 1400 more seats above the Beer Garden - plus they sunk the player benches to increase site lines. I think it was 3 feet lower then the field.

Derko
02-19-2010, 05:16 PM
no glue... they have spent more money and gone with pipecleaners and twist ties.
lol

Not even cable-ties and duct-tape, that could be scary! lol

:scarf: :drinking:

Heart of Stone
02-20-2010, 11:22 PM
What will the total capacity be once the north stand is in?

jazzy
02-21-2010, 12:06 AM
I talked to my account rep yesterday. He said that the stands are already well under way. Also the beer garden will still be there, because the first row of stands are a few meters up. Sounds like the beer garden is going to be under the stands the way he described it. Or in front, I don't know.

It was sort of like that for the Real Madrid practice, I was in the front row and we were actually up and back a bit. DeRo and the whole crew came out of the private TV booth, and walked in the aisle in front of us. He led the crew BTW with the rookies walkin behind him, those seats were very uncomfortable and hopefully thoses temp seats are not what they are installing right now. Of course if you can stand the whole game who cares. I lost any desire to sit there after that, but I`m partial in 111.

rocker
02-21-2010, 12:21 AM
What will the total capacity be once the north stand is in?

well from wikipedia, the highest attendance for an MLS game at BMO was 20,902... and the new stand plus the seats that will come down to the north goal area is 1362.. so max attendance will be about 22264...

GuelphStorm2007
02-21-2010, 01:13 AM
That is great, Are they going to expand the Stadium more before the Pan Am Games

nascarguy
02-21-2010, 01:49 AM
I can only eat so many popsicle a day.....

Kevin
02-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Where are these popsicles coming from? Sheeesh! ... I don't get the joke??? lol

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_-gALLSudyBQ/SHqx1pJ022I/AAAAAAAAB-Y/gYpQDmrOvHo/DSC02032.JPG

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
I was down at the field last weekend......just some digging goin on in the northend.....and they were laying the top soil for the the pitch..

James17930
02-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Ya 1400 more seats above the Beer Garden - plus they sunk the player benches to increase site lines. I think it was 3 feet lower then the field.

I hadn't heard that info before.

That's great. Probably couldn't do that before because of the bubble.

cosmos
02-22-2010, 10:50 AM
I hadn't heard that info before.

That's great. Probably couldn't do that before because of the bubble.

They got a lot of complaints from the field level seats especially when it rained and the bench rain covers went up - I guess because they were pulling out the field anyway they decided to do it. I think it will look pretty cool.

Red Patch CA
02-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Stopped by BMO before the AGM on Saturday.
There are not only holes in the ground but concrete forms containing healthy looking rebar. Doesn't look like anything temporary going up.

Thought there would be others that would be curious. ;)

TFC Cityboy
02-22-2010, 12:26 PM
as long as the meccano boxes and instructions had been put away...

rocker
02-22-2010, 01:04 PM
i wonder if the rebar means they are gonna have those brick housings around the legs of the stand, like the outside of the east stand... makes it look classier.

grizzle
02-23-2010, 12:38 AM
This is good news... Will these seats be added to the pool of season tickets for 2011?

robert32
02-23-2010, 12:08 PM
rebar means concrete.. not brick

Shaughno
02-23-2010, 12:24 PM
rebar means concrete.. not brick

I think you missed his point. He's talking about matching them to the same style as the supporters along the south/east ends where they have the brick surround to cover the actual column.

As seen sort of.. here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Approaching-BMO-Field.jpg

rocker
02-23-2010, 01:35 PM
yes, that is indeed what i meant. If that's what the rebar is there for, then that should make the north stand look less cheap... looking at the diagrams I was concerned that it would just be those steel legs all the way up, which looks bad. If they are hiding them with concrete and brick, that will look better.

Canada72
02-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I think you missed his point. He's talking about matching them to the same style as the supporters along the south/east ends where they have the brick surround to cover the actual column.

As seen sort of.. here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Approaching-BMO-Field.jpg

Shaughno, did you take this pic? if yes, when? I'm pretty sure I'm in the pic.

KRO
02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
To address the concerns about the quality of the construction of the North Stand the following is from a City of Toronto staff report

This report recommends that City Council approve the construction by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. (MLSE)) of additional seating (1,249 seats) at the north end of the soccer stadium at Exhibition Place centered between the two corporate suite areas at a cost to MLSE of approximately $1.972M. The additional seating would have the same look and be of the same quality as the existing seating and the intent would be to construct this seating in time for the opening of the 2010 soccer season opener.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-26066.pdf

Shaughno
02-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Shaughno, did you take this pic? if yes, when? I'm pretty sure I'm in the pic.
Nah, just found it via Google LOL

To address the concerns about the quality of the construction of the North Stand the following is from a City of Toronto staff report

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-26066.pdf

Sweet find! So it will be the same as the East/South ends. Perfect.

And I know people are in love with RedBull Park... but I personally think from a distance, BMO Field is much better looking. Outside of RSL's new stadium, there aren't many stadiums around the league have have a classy 'football' feel to their stadiums.

ecospice
02-24-2010, 02:15 PM
^ Agreed, BMO is a better looking stadium and the fans add ambiance, as an added bonus....even if BMO is surrounded by parking lots, traintracks and the gardiner.... All of that is way better than what surrounds Red Bull Park (i.e. New Jersey, which I think is fair to describe as the armpit of the Northeastern USA.)

Super
02-24-2010, 03:04 PM
I think BMO looks like an American high school football stadium. Never been a fan. But to each their own.

Shaughno
02-24-2010, 03:27 PM
I think BMO looks like an American high school football stadium. Never been a fan. But to each their own.

Really? That's how I see Columbus' stadium personally. I feel that the brick facia that continues around the stadium really gives it a small footy stadium feel.

Parkdale
02-24-2010, 03:30 PM
same question i have been wondering...

parkdale know updates?

hahaha.... it's on me!

I'll take a walk by there with the camera in the next few days, see what's shaking.

Super
02-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Really? That's how I see Columbus' stadium personally. I feel that the brick facia that continues around the stadium really gives it a small footy stadium feel.

I think it's the lack of a roof that turns me off. Columbus' stadium is pretty much similar in my eyes, just older. The exterior of BMO is alright, but again, there is the lack of roof. Removing the beer garden will greatly improve the look and feel of the stadium while inside, though. And of course the grass!!!! I look forward to that.

Parkdale
02-24-2010, 03:32 PM
I feel that the brick facia that continues around the stadium really gives it a small footy stadium feel.

I know there was a lot of debate over the yellow bricks in the past, and some people think it looks out of the 50's, but I think that's exactly the right look. It meshes almost perfectly with the rest of the CNE buildings (except the Direct Energy center, but that one is a freakshow).

http://www.ryanwaddell.com/wp-content/plugins/yet-another-photoblog/cache/food_building.9cqcpyywht0kcw4ks0wwcsss4.7h1y4nzk0y 4os00s8s4ow484k.th.jpeg

^ I just wish that they'd make a matching sign in the exact same letters and stick it on top of the ticket office that says 'SOCCER'

fetajr
04-16-2010, 10:39 AM
I stood under the north stand in the beer patio at last nights game, just wanted to say:

THANK YOU MLSE!!

its a nice shelter from the rain and sun, and we get to watch the folks in front of us at the VIP tables get the occassional beer shower from up above.

One drawback is that we can see the video scoreboard anymore. Though I have one request, I would like to send an email to someone either at BMO field or MLSE who is in charge of the facilities. I would like to ask them if they can turn around the flatscreens that were mounted on the steel pillars..right now they are near the back of the beer patio and they face the food building... no one is around to see them b/c we're all at the front of the patio ...it would be nice to turn around to see the replays.

Does anyone have any contact info?

billyfly
04-16-2010, 10:45 AM
^PM mlsintoronto maybe or tell your tkt rep.

fetajr
04-16-2010, 10:49 AM
^ thanks

boban
04-16-2010, 10:53 AM
.. we get to watch the folks in front of us at the VIP tables get the occassional beer shower from up above.
So it does nothing to get people out of the beer garden and into their seats. Thus, still giving the appearance of a less than full stadium.

billyfly
04-16-2010, 10:54 AM
The missing people are also all in sec 112 squeezing me out of my seats and forcing me to stand on the seat in the row beneath me.