PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday,Feb.16

denime
02-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Mornin'

Will Toronto FC kick off with Dickov? (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2010/02/will_toronto_fc_kick_off_with.html)

Canada to visit Maradona's turf (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/02/15/canada_argentina/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

4evared
02-16-2010, 06:38 AM
Mornin' D

Brooker
02-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Nigel!

Columbus has swooped for Colombian international striker Sergio Herrera and Chivas USA is hoping Salvadorian international Osael Romero will fulfill his potential under Preki’s successor Martin Vasquez. All these players, new to MLS, have one thing in common. They are all aged 30 or under and can represent the future. Dickov, however good his back feels, can never be that for TFC.

Frankly, he doesn’t need to be. The franchise of tomorrow is in the hands of players like Julian de Guzman, Nana Attakora, Stefan Frei (if Toronto can hold onto him) and O’Brian White. By and large TFC fans are understandably impatient for success in the form of the playoffs. If Dickov can provide a short-term fix, why should there not be a place for him on a roster crying out for depth.

For the time being, I am prepared to believe Preki knows a player who can do a job when he sees him. If he’s impressed with Dickov and feels he can improve the squad, then get his signature on paper. If the worst comes to the worst he can always be cut and sent on his way. As I stressed earlier, Paul Dickov is on trial and the jury has not yet been asked to consider its verdict.

+1

keem-o-sabi
02-16-2010, 07:29 AM
coed girls 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/02/15/miss-coed-katie-uhlaender/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/02/15/julie-henderson-is-today%E2%80%99s-daily-snapshot/)

CoachGT
02-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Article about Leeds continuing discussions with Dickov

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Grayson-keen-on-Dickov-deal-article324759.html

It appears he's headed back to England this week.

Alarius
02-16-2010, 08:44 AM

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Grayson-keen-on-Dickov-deal-article324759.html

:flare::flare:

koryo
02-16-2010, 08:51 AM

Leeds could do worse. I think he's a better fit over there than over here. Too physical a player for MLS.

Mind you, his competitiveness would add some much needed steel to TFC. But then, he's 37 and we don't
have the luxury of signing someone for their character alone. They still have to be able to play a bit as well.

Mark in Ottawa
02-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Canada/Argentina friendly on May 24th... Victoria Day.
I wonder if we can convince some TV network to show us this one?

Oldtimer
02-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Leeds could do worse. I think he's a better fit over there than over here. Too physical a player for MLS.

Mind you, his competitiveness would add some much needed steel to TFC. But then, he's 37 and we don't
have the luxury of signing someone for their character alone. They still have to be able to play a bit as well.

He might be looking at MLS only because he can't play for 3 clubs in the same federation in one year (according to FIFA regulations). He'd have to sit out the rest of the season if he wants to play for Leeds.

The fact that Leeds is interested means he still has something to offer.

koryo
02-16-2010, 09:17 AM
^^ Well, Simon Grayson's no fool and doesn't suffer them gladly, so if he thinks Dickov still has some use, then he must.

The question for us though is can he adapt to MLS, to the heat in the summer etc etc.

sully
02-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Canada play on May 24th in Argentina and Toronto play in New England two days before.. as per usual planning.....!

scooter
02-16-2010, 09:40 AM
mornin d

yes cmnt dont you think cause you want to pull 4 or 5 players from tfc you should take a look at their schedule first bleep bleep bleep

rocker
02-16-2010, 10:29 AM
what's the CMNT supposed to do? TFC doesn't have a week off from April 10 to the World Cup.

If you get to play Argentina in Argentina you schedule it whenever Argentina wants.... the team needs games and this will be the biggest one they could possibly have.

Auzzy
02-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Beggars can't be choosers, unfortunately I don't think Canada has a whole bunch of options when trying to schedule a game against Argentina.

Maybe MLS can reschedule the game against the Revs, ostensibly because of the conflict of that game with the CL Final? I doubt it, just a thought. (Plus some people would surely be pissed about rescheduling as well.)

For the CMNT, although this game will be important because of the opponent, it is a friendly in a year where they aren't going to the World Cup. Maybe they can spread the pain by not calling _all_ the TFC-based CMNT players? Is this an official FIFA date, will any European-based players likely be available?

Pigfynn
02-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Players like DeRo and DeGuzman will want to play in this friendly (all CMNT players will) so it doesn't matter we will be missing them. It's a glamour game.

jloome
02-16-2010, 11:42 AM
^^ Well, Simon Grayson's no fool and doesn't suffer them gladly, so if he thinks Dickov still has some use, then he must.

The question for us though is can he adapt to MLS, to the heat in the summer etc etc.

Leeds has a ton of natural scorers already, so it might make sense for them, becuase Dickov can play provider and general defensive irritant. They dont' have to worry about the fact that he was never a very good goalscorer. We do.

rocker
02-16-2010, 01:04 PM
was this posted?

TFC scouting the province for kiddies...

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/Toronto+Academy+came+town+expands+search+young+tal ent/2570531/story.html

[NBF]
02-16-2010, 01:54 PM
SSG: Nice girl that wants to be a cop:dupe:, but what really makes me laugh is the one look from 1-13. It reminds me of Zoolander:deadhorse:

Nigel Reed, his value is soaring:D

Shway
02-16-2010, 03:06 PM
was this posted?

TFC scouting the province for kiddies...

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/Toronto+Academy+came+town+expands+search+young+tal ent/2570531/story.html

Academy needs to stop being cheap, and bring those kids to prestigous tournaments

Youth only get better, and see how good they are against other elite youth. Toronto FC academy team is probally the only academy team not to take a trip to see how they fair up against other european-south american professional youth clubs

So in the end, i think the academy is just a hoax, a marketing tool

rocker
02-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Academy needs to stop being cheap, and bring those kids to prestigous tournaments

Youth only get better, and see how good they are against other elite youth. Toronto FC academy team is probally the only academy team not to take a trip to see how they fair up against other european-south american professional youth clubs

So in the end, i think the academy is just a hoax, a marketing tool

Yeah, it's a hoax. That's not really Stuart Neely in the picture scouting players in Ottawa. ;)

I don't see any connection between the idea of scouting Ontario and going to prestigious tournaments.

And TFC Academy went to Dallas Cup before and played against other countries' teams, so not sure what you're talking about.

TFCRegina
02-16-2010, 03:57 PM
The real problem with the academy system is it doesn't reach down far enough in age groups. By the time we're getting these players, they've already passed the prime development period. We need to be getting them at at least u-14, maybe even U-12.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-16-2010, 04:04 PM
from what ive read, if im not mistaken, they intend on going lower and lower but not all at once

rocker
02-16-2010, 04:18 PM
from what ive read, if im not mistaken, they intend on going lower and lower but not all at once

yup.. they are moving in that direction from what I've read. there was an article recently (maybe we read the same one) where Neely discussed this.

every year the academy has expanded.

Of course now MLS has to ease up on their rules or having an academy will be like throwing money down the toilet. There's no sense working up a real academy when you can only sign 1 or 2 players from it.

TFCRegina
02-16-2010, 04:28 PM
yup.. they are moving in that direction from what I've read. there was an article recently (maybe we read the same one) where Neely discussed this.

every year the academy has expanded.

Of course now MLS has to ease up on their rules or having an academy will be like throwing money down the toilet. There's no sense working up a real academy when you can only sign 1 or 2 players from it.

You can sign 2 a year on developmental contracts, 2 a year on Gen A contracts.

For a grand total of four. Hardly restrictive. There would be few situations where you'd sign any more than that in a single season, especially since we've signed a grand total of zero since establishing the academy.

ag futbol
02-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Yeah, it's a hoax. That's not really Stuart Neely in the picture scouting players in Ottawa. ;)

I don't see any connection between the idea of scouting Ontario and going to prestigious tournaments.

And TFC Academy went to Dallas Cup before and played against other countries' teams, so not sure what you're talking about.
Yeah the dallas cup is a start, but it's not nearly enough.

But the reason for that might be MLS and their dark-ages academy rules. Which for some reason dictate that every team have an academy, but then put restrictions in place to dilute the hope that any of them would be effective.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-16-2010, 05:50 PM

For a grand total of four. Hardly restrictive. There would be few situations where you'd sign any more than that in a single season, especially since we've signed a grand total of zero since establishing the academy.

could still be better, also i dont like the idea of not being able to sign a player and some other team being able to pick up their contract with us having trained em

TFCRegina
02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
could still be better, also i dont like the idea of not being able to sign a player and some other team being able to pick up their contract with us having trained em

Well, as I say with trade.

A quota isn't restrictive if you aren't filling it out in the first place.

Stop complaining about what we're not even using in the first place. When we start using it, start complaining.

Shway
02-16-2010, 06:48 PM

compare it to other academys thats all i' m saying

EDIT: They went to Dallas because of the SUM Cup, not for just simply entering in it. Meaning they didnt have to spend money because finishing in the place that they finished in the SUM cup granted them the Dallas Cup.

Oldtimer
02-16-2010, 06:48 PM

For a grand total of four. Hardly restrictive.

Gen Adidas are signed by MLS, not the individual club, so it's not your option to sign 2 out of those 4 players. So it's still very restrictive.

TFCRegina
02-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Gen Adidas are signed by MLS, not the individual club, so it's not your option to sign 2 out of those 4 players. So it's still very restrictive.

See quotas.

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-16-2010, 07:25 PM

This is the first season we're eligible to sign players from the academy.

Shway
02-16-2010, 08:44 PM
This is the first season we're eligible to sign players from the academy.

where did you hear this?
other MLS clubs have already made academy signings

LA Galaxy - Tristan Bowen DF
DC United - Bill Hamid FW
FC Dallas - Bryan Leyva MF
CD Chivas USA - Gerson Mayen MF, Ceasar Zamora MF
Houston Dyanamo - Tyler Deric GK
NY Red Bulls - Giorgi Chirgadze FW, trying to sign Juan Adguelo

6 out of 16