PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,Feb.15

denime
02-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Mornin'

Reds Win 1-0 against USF (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100214&content_id=8074958&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

TFC gives Dickov a second chance (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/02/15/12883516-sun.html)

MLS salary cap unlikely to go up considerably (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2010/02/mls_salary_cap_unlikely_to_go.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

sidvan
02-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Mornin'

James17930
02-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Seriously -- Wheeler does all his 'research' right here on the boards. He just regurgitates whatever the people here who actually know about football say.

James Oliphant
02-15-2010, 08:53 AM
The de Vos blog was a good read...even if it said what I already knew, it's something that needs to be repeated for those who didn't know.

James Oliphant
02-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Seriously -- Wheeler does all his 'research' right here on the boards. He just regurgitates whatever the people here who actually know about football say.

Yeahhhhh...no. I've talked to Gareth (he's a regular at Man United events), and he's pretty knowledgeable.

STB
02-15-2010, 09:08 AM
TFC gives Dickov a second chance (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/02/15/12883516-sun.html)

WOW honestly !!!!

Why doesnt Mo just lace up his boots and play, dickov would be a terrible signing !!!

bgnewf
02-15-2010, 09:23 AM
WOW honestly !!!!

Why doesnt Mo just lace up his boots and play, dickov would be a terrible signing !!!

Care to elaborate?????

With due respect you, or I or anybody else not named Preki can't properly assess this statement of yours.

It comes down to two things..... Does he still have the ability and most importantly how much will he cost.

denime
02-15-2010, 09:47 AM
WOW honestly !!!!

Not according to some fans from oversees:

Dickov's been on loan to us at Derby for a few weeks this season, and I'd like to say to the TFC fan that he's no washup. Dickov is still lively, hard working and dangerous in the box. If he joins TFC you'll have a bargain.

I now live in the US but I am from Leicester where he has had 2 spells. Even at 37 he is better than local talent - he is a predator and will score goals at this level.

But if you think you know him better,please collaborate.

SoccMan
02-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Wheeler knows his soccer, he is a mainstream media guy here in Toronto who writes and talks about all sports not just soccer,however, soccer is one of his favorite sports. He has played the sport growing up at a decent level, has been around the sport all his life even played at the university level here in Canada, he knows what he is talking about,however, like any writer there will be times when most people might not agree with what he says or writes about,but in terms of knowledge about the game he is one of the better ones we have in Toronto.

STB
02-15-2010, 10:52 AM

But if you think you know him better,please collaborate.

Well firstly im scottish so have followed the mighty wasp for many many years,

secondly he is just sooooo long in the tooth. He is exactly the kind of signing people back home would expect an MLS side to make. An old guy who has run his course in england and wants a final pay day in north america.

If the league is to get any respect he is the kind of signing TFC want to avoid. Im sure he might get a few goals but wont add to the team or build for the future. If you guys want old, over the hill strikers looking for a big paycheque then he is your man, if TFC are trying to build for the future and are looking to build any kind of world reputation then he is the wrong guy completely !!!

Phil
02-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Its a trial for Dickov, its not like he is signed. If he is good enough, he will make the team. Basing all this judgement off of his age without actually seeing him is sad.

James Oliphant
02-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Its a trial for Dickov, its not like he is signed. If he is good enough, he will make the team. Basing all this judgement off of his age without actually seeing him is sad.

But Rooney, clearly everyone TFC puts on trial ends up being signed by TFC. I mean, look at Gregory Richardson, Kevin Gall, Kiki Musampa, Josh Wagenaar, Savo Milosevic...

James17930
02-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Yeahhhhh...no. I've talked to Gareth (he's a regular at Man United events), and he's pretty knowledgeable.

Oh -- I guess it's just coincidence then.

My bad.

CretanBull
02-15-2010, 11:24 AM

Bitting...my...tongue :D

TFCRegina
02-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Bitting...my...tongue :D

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too. :D

James Oliphant
02-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Bitting?

Mark in Ottawa
02-15-2010, 11:53 AM
if TFC are trying to build for the future and are looking to build any kind of world reputation then he is the wrong guy completely !!!
But don't all sports have the idea of a "rent a player"??

Bringing in an experienced veteran, who is not yet completely done, for a short term to provide needed skill where an absence exists and the clubs existing players are either not ready or not available for one reason or another (injuries for example). Sometimes thay act as mentors.

It may also be a case of trying to "light the fire" under the existing roster.
As in... "we will keep this guy or bring in others if you guys don't step up".

I can't believe that Preki is gonna let Mo dictate completely to him.
They both have too much at stake.

Suds
02-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Bitting?

it's biting written with a slight accent ;)

trane
02-15-2010, 12:10 PM
How is a 5-5 37 year old striker going to fill the role of Danny Dichio? Yes, they are both older, Dickov odler then danny, and have played in the EPL, but the two players seems to be very different. I understand if he was trying to bring over an older but exprinced British target man.

[NBF]
02-15-2010, 12:12 PM
So, if Dickov is signed, why did we have to get rid of Guevara? Because he was going to the World Cup?:facepalm:

I think around the same time Dickov was rumoured to be a new signing of TFC, there was a rumour that Nuno Gomez was coming to TFC, but he turned it down because of the turf. Then there was Hakan Suker the Turkish striker.

Either one of the two would be fine by me:hump:

ag futbol
02-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Yes these are the same people who have probably never seen a MLS game in their life and assume at 37 Dickov is going to be MLS Pele.

The names Claudio López and Gregg Berhalter come to mind. Both left their leagues while in their mid thirties, both played more football than Dickov in his current state, neither are particularly good in MLS.

He's very small, he's going to be slowing at 37, i don't think it's a stretch to say we should be skeptical.

jloome
02-15-2010, 12:39 PM

Explain this: "If paired with Dwayne de Rosario in attack, the two would form the hardest-working striking tandem in MLS."

You can know a lot about footie but still be really, really bad at figuring things out.

James Oliphant
02-15-2010, 12:55 PM
What, exactly, is wrong with that statement? The fact that De Rosario isn't technically a striker?

rocker
02-15-2010, 01:08 PM
;891164']So, if Dickov is signed, why did we have to get rid of Guevara? Because he was going to the World Cup?:facepalm:

Preki and Guevara had a little "falling out" in 2007 at Chivas ;)

That's prob the only reason we ever got Guevara -- because Guevara and Preki disliked each other, so he was available to come to TFC. So it's no wonder he's gone now that Preki is here.

[NBF]
02-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Preki and Guevara had a little "falling out" in 2007 at Chivas ;)

That's prob the only reason we ever got Guevara -- because Guevara and Preki disliked each other, so he was available to come to TFC. So it's no wonder he's gone now that Preki is here.

You think Guevara is the kind of guy that would sleep with his buddies girlfriend/wife, or is Preki the kind of guy that steals your girlfriend from under you?:D

deschamp86
02-15-2010, 03:13 PM
It seems that signings that everyone here is for (eg. Vitti, Lombardo) end up being horrible. So I'm guessing the one guy that no one wants (Dickov) will end up being good.

ua-kozak_TFC
02-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Care to elaborate?????

With due respect you, or I or anybody else not named Preki can't properly assess this statement of yours.

It comes down to two things..... Does he still have the ability and most importantly how much will he cost.
Technically True...but false in practice. SAme could be said about ANYONE you want to sign. Just because age is never limit doesn`t mean that Mo should be scouting in the 50+ soccer leagues... You guys honestly will chew on any bone that mo will throw at you...

Dickov stats in the last 4 years is far from decent... 70 games, 8 goals, 5 different clubs. I am not sure where you guys see the promise... he said he is as healty as he has been 5 years ago... but what else are you expecting a player that is looking for a contract to say??

Redcoe15
02-15-2010, 04:01 PM
In other news:

MLS referees don’t cut it for World Cup (http://soccerlens.com/mls-referees-dont-cut-it-for-world-cup/40529/)

But then, it's not something we already don't know about.

polak9pete
02-15-2010, 04:06 PM
anyone know wat's goin on with Zach Herold? is he even at camp? and why hasn't he played any games yet?

TFC USA
02-15-2010, 06:19 PM
So...we signed Dickov?

Fuck off, MO.

Oldtimer
02-15-2010, 06:30 PM
We didn't sign Dickov, not yet at least.

James Oliphant
02-15-2010, 07:11 PM
So...we signed Dickov?

Fuck off, MO.

T.R.I.A.L.

jloome
02-15-2010, 07:31 PM
What, exactly, is wrong with that statement? The fact that De Rosario isn't technically a striker?

DeRosario hasn't started anywhere in an upfront striker tandem in six years. Even then, he was usually a supersub. Plus, in a league like MLS, the likelihood of DeRo being paired up top with a 5'5 inch Paul Dickov is not what I would call stupendosuly high.

When Dero played up for us last year, it was almost always as a wide forward, and he has repeatedly said even that isn't his preference.

So a Dero/Dickov strike partnership does not seem likely.

trane
02-15-2010, 09:40 PM
I am still amazed that Wheeler thinks that the 5 foot 5 Dickov is somehow a replacemnt for a true CF targetman like Dichio. I wish Wheeler would tell me how they could possibly play a similar role on the field. Dickov is planing to play on stilts or with coils under his feet?

bgnewf
02-15-2010, 10:27 PM
... You guys honestly will chew on any bone that mo will throw at you...

Due if you knew me you would know how off base that remark is.

Blizzard
02-15-2010, 11:01 PM

So true Tim. So true! :hump::hump::hump:

James Oliphant
02-15-2010, 11:15 PM
DeRosario hasn't started anywhere in an upfront striker tandem in six years. Even then, he was usually a supersub. Plus, in a league like MLS, the likelihood of DeRo being paired up top with a 5'5 inch Paul Dickov is not what I would call stupendosuly high.

When Dero played up for us last year, it was almost always as a wide forward, and he has repeatedly said even that isn't his preference.

So a Dero/Dickov strike partnership does not seem likely.

Sure he has...it was one of his complaints in his last season in Houston. When Franco Caraccio fell out of Kinnear's favour, DDR played in tandem with Brian "Flyin' Hawaiian" Ching. In fact, their first game up top together was the 3-1 loss we suffered to them in Houston. He stuck there basically until Jaqua returned from his stint in Austria in July, and was still played in the pairing on occasion afterwards, since the pairing worked so well.

James Oliphant
02-15-2010, 11:17 PM

Holding true to his reputation is all, Newf. His remarks are consistently off-base.

Kevvv
02-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Sky Sports News reporting Dickov due to return to Leeds after training with us, and that they're considering signing him

Rudi
02-16-2010, 12:28 AM
You guys honestly will chew on any bone that mo will throw at you...
This made me LOL. :D

Instead of trying to play the "I hate Mo, therefore I know more than everyone here" card, have a look around before you type stupid shit. Being anti-Mo 100% of the time is just as retarded as what you are (hilariously) accusing bgnewf and others of doing.

Super
02-16-2010, 12:55 AM
Sky Sports News reporting Dickov due to return to Leeds after training with us, and that they're considering signing him

Well, that's it then.

Redpunkfiddle
02-16-2010, 01:08 AM
Well, that's it then.

Is it then?

Perhaps we'll see him back here when he is 39.

CretanBull
02-16-2010, 03:03 AM
It's not really conclusive either way, but...

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/20100215/dickov-set-for-united-return_2247585_1967005