PDA

View Full Version : W-L-T or W-D-L?

Lucky Strike
05-14-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the conference standings table found on MLSnet so I use this one instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Major_League_Soccer_season#Overall_standings

I find it very informative and easier to read, but there is a current debate on whether the North American standard (wins-loss-ties) or the European one (wins-draws-losses) ought to be used. I didn't initiate the debate, but I'm curious as to what we think beyond the 15 people or so involved over there. For those who are interested, the debate page can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:2008_Major_League_Soccer_season#Discussion

What are your thoughts?

werewolf
05-14-2008, 12:48 PM
I am used to Wins-loss, but I could see how have the loss column at the end would make more sense. (3points, 1 points, 0 points)

stugautz
05-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Just like we use the North American standard for telling time, we should use their format for standings. Also it makes it easier for new fans to read.

denime
05-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Why is that most of European things make more sense than N.American?
Keep it simple FGS,right?

Win Draw Loss
3points, 1 points, 0 points

bhoybobby
05-14-2008, 12:55 PM
The one that makes us looks best

Lucky Strike
05-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Both have their advantages: the North American one you can quiclkly see the win-loss ratio and see how good teams are but with the European one, it makes it easier to calculate total points. This in my opinion of course.

tfcleeds
05-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Win, draw, loss, makes sense to me...

Carts
05-14-2008, 01:21 PM
I prefer win-draw-loss...

Carts...

Toronto Ruffrider
05-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Wins-Draws-Losses all the way. If the rest of the football world records it that way, why can't we?

adammac
05-14-2008, 02:40 PM
W-D-L all the way!

ilikemusic
05-14-2008, 02:50 PM
To be honest I prefer the NA standard or W-L-D

Technorgasm
05-14-2008, 02:51 PM
I prefer win-draw-loss...

Carts...

how about CARTS > DRAWS > BECKS ?

mclaren
02-09-2009, 11:12 AM
W D L makes the most sense.
I also don't understand why in America they use Month/Day/Year instead of the more logical Day/Month/Year.

Hitcho
02-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Gotta be W-D-L, and frankly this comes back to the rest of the world looking at MLS and thinking "mickey mouse joke league that doesn't know what it's doing with conference tables and weird stats" or "young league trying to grow and gaining respect from players anf footballing people everywhere".

Plus, it makes way more sense and is easier to read - you can still get the stats on win loss etc but it is more sensibly organised.

Oldtimer
02-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Don't care, as long as the table spells out which system it's using.

Stencils
02-09-2009, 11:28 AM

I agree with this. It doesn't really matter as long as you know which scheme they're using.

Beach_Red
02-09-2009, 11:31 AM
How about we make a list of all the things MLS needs to do to bring it in line with the rest of the soccer leagues in the world, then we prioritize them and lobby for a change or two a year till they're all done.

In my dream world, the changes will all happen by the time the league has 20 teams each playing in their own stadium - six-eight years from now.

(I said it's a dream)

denime
02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Both have their advantages: the North American one you can quicklysee the win-loss ratio and see how good teams are but with the European one, it makes it easier to calculate total points. This in my opinion of course.

What place you are is defined by your total points,so win-loss ratio is useless in this case.

SilverSamurai
02-09-2009, 11:39 AM
W-L-D. You know it's the off season when...

nobodybeatsthewiz
02-09-2009, 11:40 AM
I am used to Wins-loss, but I could see how have the loss column at the end would make more sense. (3points, 1 points, 0 points)

+ 1 here

rocker
02-09-2009, 12:01 PM
one thing I dislike about European footy sites, like the Premier league site, is when they divide the table into HOME and AWAY records without any combined wins/draws/losses table.

Fort York Redcoat
02-09-2009, 12:06 PM
How about we make a list of all the things MLS needs to do to bring it in line with the rest of the soccer leagues in the world, then we prioritize them and lobby for a change or two a year till they're all done.

In my dream world, the changes will all happen by the time the league has 20 teams each playing in their own stadium - six-eight years from now.

(I said it's a dream)

Yep. Let's do this easy little stuff first and move forward.

BTW we have a Champions League now. Just glad of it.

Steve
02-09-2009, 12:08 PM

(I said it's a dream)

Why? Seriously, why the hell is this important? Are people seriously concerned that we don't have W-L-D columns the same as other countries? Oh nos! The big bad bullies will make fun of us before we display our box scores in a slightly different way! Quick! Let's appease them!

Personally, I like W-L-D because it's what I'm used to. I enjoy looking at it that way. If they changed it, would I care? No, not really, either way is fine with me. Maybe we should stop getting so stressed out about the smallest things in our league and enjoy the soccer (oh sorry, football).

troy1982
02-09-2009, 12:16 PM
W-D-L is the better way

TFC OZZ
02-09-2009, 12:36 PM
I prefer wins, losses, ties.

AL-MO
02-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Honestly I could really care less....

joel
02-09-2009, 01:07 PM
W-T-F

Broadview
02-09-2009, 03:28 PM
I don't care as long as the table says what's what. Sometimes you come across ones that don't, and that's the most annoying. I hate having to rely on my grade 5 algebra skills.

And since we're nitpicking, how about the order in which teams are placed on the scoreboard graphic? Here in NA it's usually visitors first, but european broadcasts always have the home side first. Go figure!

SilverSamurai
02-09-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't care as long as the table says what's what. Sometimes you come across ones that don't, and that's the most annoying. I hate having to rely on my grade 5 algebra skills.

And since we're nitpicking, how about the order in which teams are placed on the scoreboard graphic? Here in NA it's usually visitors first, but european broadcasts always have the home side first. Go figure!
Ya but that's because its team x @ team y. Makes perfect sense to me!

Lucky Strike
02-09-2009, 05:06 PM
What place you are is defined by your total points,so win-loss ratio is useless in this case.

Lol, I'm astonished this topic was picked up again, I think I started it on the first day this board opened.

But, while yes, total points is what matters (no question there), I pointed out the win-loss thing as a fast way to see how good a team is without having to calculate points (not that it takes longer than 1 second to begin with anyway).

joel
02-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Hey i'm going start a poll, 'football' or 'soccer' ? k?

Cashcleaner
02-10-2009, 01:41 AM
Wins-Losses-Ties works best for me. I think that's how it's usually done for hockey and other sports in Canadian newspapers.

Jeffro
02-10-2009, 03:07 AM
anybody vote for losses to come first yet?

jaahuuu
02-10-2009, 09:46 AM
I agree with this too. It can be especially confusing when you've grown up with W-L-T and you check foreign sites first thing monday morning. Being half awake and trying to decipher V-N-P (Serie A) or S-U-N (Bundesliga) just doesn't work well.

Toronto Ruffrider
02-10-2009, 01:37 PM
I can't believe this thread is back up! FWIW, I still prefer W-D-L for football. Just about every major football league displays their standings this way, so I would like it if there was continuity with MLS. That way, I could say X team has a record of 10-4-7, and someone would instantly be able to figure out how good that team is.