PDA

View Full Version : TFC Acquire Ty Harden from the Rapids

rowan
02-10-2010, 11:07 AM
KristianJack (http://twitter.com/KristianJack)
Toronto FC have traded for Colorado defender Ty Harden, in return the Rapids get a 3rd round pick on 2011. #tfc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc)

RapidsSoccer (http://twitter.com/RapidsSoccer)
Possible trade going down with Toronto FC......stay tuned!

MLS Press Release (http://www.mlsnet.com//news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100209&content_id=8044290&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280[/URL)

MLS Bio (http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t106&player=harden_t&playerId=har134817&statType=current)

Wikipedia Bio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Harden)

In February 2008, Harden announced his retirement after only one season as a professional soccer player, deciding instead to work for a charitable organization.

Despite retiring in 2008, his rights were transferred to Colorado Rapids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Rapids) on January 13, 2009. In return the Galaxy received a 3rd round pick in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_MLS_SuperDraft). Following the draft, it was announced that Harden would be returning to MLS to play for the Rapids. He was sent on a months loan to USL-1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USL-1) side Rochester Rhinos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester_Rhinos) in June 2009.

billyfly
02-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Hmm...

druid
02-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Hmmm... on loan last season to the Rochester Rhinos.

Not exactly the experienced CB I was hoping for.

flatpicker
02-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Oh good, he played for LA in 07/08.
I seem to recall LA did very well at keeping balls out of the net during that time.
;)

jabbronies
02-10-2010, 11:17 AM
moved the thread to news section "BUMP"

rowan
02-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Oh good, he played for LA in 07/08.
I seem to recall LA did very well at keeping balls out of the net during that time.
;)

2007 Toronto Goals Against: 49
2007 LA Galaxy Goals Against: 48

Lucky Strike
02-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Not exactly an inspiring block-buster move. But I'm trying to keep positive that this is Preki rebuilding the team.

P.S. Could this be in response to Andrade now showing up?

James17930
02-10-2010, 11:31 AM
At least he doesn't have knee problems.

Ha.

Stryker
02-10-2010, 11:32 AM
In February 2008, Harden announced his retirement after only one season as a professional soccer player, deciding instead to work for a charitable organization.

No need for us to cast doubt on his abilities. Apparently he's already got that covered himself.

Solid pick up Mo.

Chevy
02-10-2010, 11:35 AM
No need for us to cast doubt on his abilities. Apparently he's already got that covered himself.

Solid pick up Mo.

Well you could argue that our defense is also a charitable organization, so he'll fit right in.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Not exactly an inspiring block-buster move. But I'm trying to keep positive that this is Preki rebuilding the team.

P.S. Could this be in response to Andrade now showing up?

yep im with ya, im sure hes not brilliant but functional, especially mroe so than garcia. I was also wondering about the Andrade thing but i dont think theyd just pull this out of no where, ya know?

Daveisonfire
02-10-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't know much about the guy, but I do trust Preki's judgement.

ManUtd4ever
02-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Well you could argue that our defense is also a charitable organization, so he'll fit right in.

Sad but true, lol...

James17930
02-10-2010, 11:41 AM

Bon mots.

Oldtimer
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
You don't need to have world class defenders if they play a good system.

Montreal proved that under John Limniatiis. Chivas proved that under Preki.

Besides, there will be a world-class DM in DeGuzman which should solidify things a lot when he is played properly.

rocker
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
from what i remember, he was making peanuts in that first season when he won the Galaxy defender of the year award. Charitable work paid more. haha. Then when Ruud Gullit joined the LA Circus, he left MLS (probably a positive career move.. haha).

I can't remember the guy, to be honest. But looking at the 2007 LA stats, it seems that defense was in shambles generally so I wouldn't make too much of the goals against total they had.. As a rookie, Harden played the most games of any defender (24).. next closest # of games played by an LA defender was Mike Randolph with 19 (who was 22 years old). That was the year LA signed the wonderful Abel Xavier to team up with another world class player, David Beckham (who played 5 games). ;)

Tyrone Marshall played 8 games on that LA team.

Stryker
02-10-2010, 11:46 AM
He seems genuinely happy to be here on TFC TV.
Which is a refreshing change.

Derko
02-10-2010, 11:46 AM
CB, 25 years old, a player we will need.
At least it is something concrete, not these stupid rumours

Pigfynn
02-10-2010, 11:47 AM
CAN WE PLEASE LET THEM ALL PLAY TOGETHER BEFORE WE RIP THEM TO SHREDS ON HERE.

thank you that is all

ManUtd4ever
02-10-2010, 11:52 AM
from what i remember, he was making peanuts in that first season when he won the Galaxy defender of the year award. Charitable work paid more. haha. Then when Ruud Gullit joined the LA Circus, he left MLS (probably a positive career move.. haha).

I can't remember the guy, to be honest. But looking at the 2007 LA stats, it seems that defense was in shambles.. As a rookie, Harden played the most games of any defender (24).. next closest # of games played by an LA defender was Mike Randolph with 19 (who was 22 years old). That was the year LA signed the wonderful Abel Xavier to team up with another world class player, David Beckham (who played 5 games). ;)

Tyrone Marshall played 8 games on that LA team.

Despite LA's defensive record that year, I will try to take some solace in that accomplishment. He is still young and perhaps there is an upside under Preki's tutelage...

GuelphStorm2007
02-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Lets give this Kid a chance, he is 25, no knee problems, and I bet you he is better than Garcia.

Stryker
02-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I bet you he is better than Garcia.
If he doesn't whiff on slow rolling balls without being pressured than yeah, chances are he is.

Pigfynn
02-10-2010, 11:57 AM
TFC has no use for Nick Garcia at all.....at all

rocker
02-10-2010, 11:57 AM
he made only $30,000 in 2007 and $34,000 in 2009. Ouch.

reggie
02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
i remember the guy for clearing the ball off the line, on a lombardo sure goal.
i think he was also the guy that cunny knocked off the ball to score the winner in LA.

CretanBull
02-10-2010, 12:14 PM
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly he was all elbows and late tackles...a red card waiting to happen.

Shaughno
02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly he was all elbows and late tackles...a red card waiting to happen.

Not to dispute your clouded memory... :rofl:

But in all the games he's played in the MLS, he only has 4 career cards, all being yellows and no reds. Not bad for a guy who's supposedly all elbows and late tackles. Can't be worse than Harmse in that regard!

Blizzard
02-10-2010, 12:21 PM
CAN WE PLEASE LET THEM ALL PLAY TOGETHER BEFORE WE RIP THEM TO SHREDS ON HERE.

Agreed! He is a piece of the puzzle. Are we expecting superstars in all our moves?

B

jloome
02-10-2010, 12:21 PM
AWESOME SIGNING. (well, talent-wise, anyway).

Seriously guys, if you don't know about Harden, do me a favour and stfu for a little bit. He's an exceptional young defender, he had one of the brightest futures in U.S. football till he got a religious calling. He walked right into the LA starting lineup from college.

Last time I checked, lots of other people have faith in God.

Now he's back playing football and we're lucky to have him. Seriously. Look the kid up. He was touted to be going to Europe within a season or two when he was at LA and his departure is a big part of what prompted their reardguard realignment.

The question I guess is whether he's a headcase. But on this team, he'd probably feel left out if he wasn't.

Shaughno
02-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the input jloome, I seem to remember nothing but praise for this kid until he dropped off the radar...

SteeltownBhoy
02-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Sorry I think this guy has NUTJOB written all over him!!

Should fit in perfectly with TFC.

CoachGT
02-10-2010, 12:25 PM
he made only $30,000 in 2007 and $34,000 in 2009. Ouch.

Over the last couple of years, Preki has been very successful in finding talent at fire-sale prices. MLS mag used to print a list of the best bargains in MLS, and many of them played on Preki teams.

rocker
02-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Sorry I think this guy has NUTJOB written all over him!!

Should fit in perfectly with TFC.

Why is he a nutjob?

billyfly
02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Maybe he meant nutmeg?

Carts
02-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Ty Harden - if I remember correctly - has his praises sung non-stop in the 'Beckham Experiment' book, both as a player and a good kid...

He was making nothing, and had to go another route to live...

If he's still at that level - this could be a huge steal..

Carts...

jloome
02-10-2010, 12:32 PM
There are chemical processes in the brain that can account for religious visions, so whether you're agnostic, of faith or atheist, having a religious experience doens' make one a nutjob.

Oh, and he can play left back. Noted in the Beckham book as one of the league's best young players when he quit.

Beach_Red
02-10-2010, 12:34 PM
AWESOME SIGNING. (well, talent-wise, anyway).

Seriously guys, if you don't know about Harden, do me a favour and stfu for a little bit. He's an exceptional young defender, he had one of the brightest futures in U.S. football till he got a religious calling. He walked right into the LA starting lineup from college.

Yeah, who was that guy who just played in the Super Bowl who'd taken a couple of years off football to do missionary work?

jabbronies
02-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Oh, and he can play left back. Noted in the Beckham book as one of the league's best young players when he quit.

So he's a left back then...I guess Jimmy B will be mentoring him this season as a repalcement

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2010, 12:37 PM
So he's a left back then...I guess Jimmy B will be mentoring him this season as a repalcement

nope hes a center back, he CAN play left back tho

rocker
02-10-2010, 12:38 PM
I don't think it was just religious factors in his decision to leave the league. In interviews he sounded like he was just disillusioned with the sport (making 30K and having to live in LA in the Beckham circus can probably do that to a guy).

So he went back to finish his university degree. Then he followed his girlfriend to Europe as she signed to play pro basketball there. THEN he went to Africa to do some charitable work. Then he decided to come back.

(By the way, Sam Cronin went to Africa this past off season to do charitable work too)

I wouldn't call him a nutjob. Actually, sounds like he's a pretty smart and well adjusted young guy. He's probably crazier to come back to MLS for 34K ;)

rocker
02-10-2010, 12:43 PM
good stories on Harden (one says he also had an injury before he quit)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=666516&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

https://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/dec09/facetime.html

oxygenatedbrain
02-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Is Loome thinking of Chase Hilgenbrinck?

Detroit_TFC
02-10-2010, 12:51 PM
I wonder if this signing is related to the Jorge Andrade no-call no-show. In any case, it is a step up from what we have right now.

Section 110
02-10-2010, 01:09 PM

Nice one! Seriously - what kind of a pick up is that. Hopefully he's going to ply his trade in the FO and not on the pitch.

KRO
02-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Why all this negative talk about Harden being a religious nut job? Unless I'm missing something there is no mention of him being religious in any of the stuff that I've read. His parents worked for Goodwill, which as far as I know is not a religious organization.

There are plenty of non-religious charities out there and you don't have to be a believer in the "Great Sky God" to want to help people.
My impression is that we have bought a good young defender with a strong character and I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

Hitcho
02-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Well Jezza's post and the summary of Harden in the Beckham book have got me feeling a lot more positive about this.

I posted earlier today (may have been another thread, not sure) that Mo is still too reliant on turning straight to retiring players from Europe when he has a gap to fill anywhere on the roster. After three seasons, this is a problem that needs to be addressed, and quickly.

Preki's two signings so far have both been young, seemingly talented players from within the league for modest amounts on the cap hit with no obvious downside (Peterson's knee injury apart!) but plenty of potential to become very astute signings.

THIS is exactly what we need to start doing well as a club, not a revolving door of retiring former greats who don't really give much of a shit about MLS (Dichio, Brennan and Robbo etc excepted of course).

Is anyone else finally starting to get a scent of sweet revolution in the TFC air?!

Marco2K
02-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Tfc Is Sad!!!!

Darlofletch
02-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Good news. Don't remember him at all, but from the sounds of it he could be ok, and should be relatively cheap and eager to make an impression. I'm just happy we're actually signing players. what are we up to now? 18?

Oldtimer
02-10-2010, 01:35 PM
"It all changed when I got drafted," Harden says. "I love soccer but I thought, 'This is what I'm doing with my life?' I wasn't done with school, and I really wanted to finish my degree. There was so much more I wanted to experience."

Sounds pretty grounded to me.

Damien
02-10-2010, 01:41 PM
This guy can pray to the flying spaghetti monster for all i care... as long as he can defend!

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Agreed! He is a piece of the puzzle. Are we expecting superstars in all our moves?

B
No, but a guy who retired after one season as a pro and hasn't played in over a year doesn't exactly sound like the kind of guy we need to improve our crappy defence. Shouldn't we have higher expectations?

Hitcho
02-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Tfc Is Sad!!!!

Is this a typo or a joke that isn't obvious? If so, stop reading this post.

If not, don't let the TFC door hit you on the way out.

And to borrow a line from Obe Wan Ken Obe - Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool that follows him?

TFC Tifoso
02-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Well Jezza's post and the summary of Harden in the Beckham book have got me feeling a lot more positive about this.

I posted earlier today (may have been another thread, not sure) that Mo is still too reliant on turning straight to retiring players from Europe when he has a gap to fill anywhere on the roster. After three seasons, this is a problem that needs to be addressed, and quickly.

Preki's two signings so far have both been young, seemingly talented players from within the league for modest amounts on the cap hit with no obvious downside (Peterson's knee injury apart!) but plenty of potential to become very astute signings.

THIS is exactly what we need to start doing well as a club, not a revolving door of retiring former greats who don't really give much of a shit about MLS (Dichio, Brennan and Robbo etc excepted of course).

Is anyone else finally starting to get a scent of sweet revolution in the TFC air?!

No.....I can still smell Mo.....

Shaughno
02-10-2010, 01:48 PM
No, but a guy who retired after one season as a pro and hasn't played in over a year doesn't exactly sound like the kind of guy we need to improve our crappy defence. Shouldn't we have higher expectations?

So you'd prefer someone with no sense of reality and no real skill?

This kid was touted as the best young defender in the league and was considered a huge prospect. He wanted to finish up his schooling, which to me, says the kid has a good head on his shoulders. If that's the case, and he's now done so, then he has a back up plan in place and can now focus solely on football.

I, for one, have a good feeling about this one. Score one for Preki IMO.

thisisinternetclash
02-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Ty Harden - if I remember correctly - has his praises sung non-stop in the 'Beckham Experiment' book, both as a player and a good kid...

He was making nothing, and had to go another route to live...

If he's still at that level - this could be a huge steal..

Carts...

This is true. I recall Wahl using him as an example of the "only in MLS" anecdotes that flustered Gullit.

ag futbol
02-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't mind these moves so much. Preki has a habit of sticking average players together and getting above average results.

Much better than a guy who's playing form looks like Nortel's stock and saying "yeah it's going to rebound".

Beach_Red
02-10-2010, 02:18 PM
No.....I can still smell Mo.....

Well, someday he'll be gone. We're stuck with MLSE forever...

Marco2K
02-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Is this a typo or a joke that isn't obvious? If so, stop reading this post.

If not, don't let the TFC door hit you on the way out.

And to borrow a line from Obe Wan Ken Obe - Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool that follows him?

TFC is sad
And i am fool.

Correct!!

rocker
02-10-2010, 02:42 PM

He did play last season. The year he missed was 2008 not 2009. And last season he had an injury that kept him out a bit.

Based on what I've read today, he sounds like a solid pickup who LA fans were sad to see go. Some fans even sympathized that he was only making 30K.

So he sounds like an improvement on what we have. And even if the team were to bring in a stud defender, this guy would be a solid backup (in other words, not Marco Velez).

Preki must have had a hand in this. He must have seen something in the kid that he feels could help TFC. These are pretty off the radar moves (Harden, Peterson) so I'll assume Preki was looking for specific skills and these guys have them.

Phil
02-10-2010, 02:49 PM
^^^ the infrence was made on TFCTV that Peterson had some good words about this guy.

TFC Tifoso
02-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Well, someday he'll be gone. We're stuck with MLSE forever...

true, but that doesn't bother me too much right now.....MLSE have never been cheap.....the way they spend the money, and their choice of personnel -particularly in management (ie. GMs) - has been suspect at times, to say the least, but I feel that especially with TFC, the suits at MLSE don't get involved too much, so as long as they hire someone with half a brain to run this team the next time around, TFC might be ok.

Beach_Red
02-10-2010, 02:59 PM
true, but that doesn't bother me too much right now.....MLSE have never been cheap.....the way they spend the money, and their choice of personnel -particularly in management (ie. GMs) - has been suspect at times, to say the least, but I feel that especially with TFC, the suits at MLSE don't get involved too much, so as long as they hire someone with half a brain to run this team the next time around, TFC might be ok.

Maybe. The problem is, to get someone really good to run the team they'll have to make him a great offer and they won't - at least not for a long time. How many suspect GMs did they go through with the Leafs before they finally opened the bank? And didn't the NBA have to step in and help them out with the Raptors?

I guess I just find all the ragging on Mo to be about the same as criticising the trainer (though this is forum that freaked out when the trainer quit, so, I guess it's consistent). The real problems start at the top, that's where the tone gets set, that's where the corporate mentality starts.

It's too bad when MLS decided to use the NFL model they didn't also copy the part about having individual owners instead of corporate ownership with boards of directors....

Marco2K
02-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Its crazy. He is gonna be making 30 000 and guys like Robinson and Brennan making WAY MORE!!

Lets hope he pans out.

TFC Tifoso
02-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Maybe. The problem is, to get someone really good to run the team they'll have to make him a great offer and they won't - at least not for a long time. How many suspect GMs did they go through with the Leafs before they finally opened the bank? And didn't the NBA have to step in and help them out with the Raptors?

I guess I just find all the ragging on Mo to be about the same as criticising the trainer (though this is forum that freaked out when the trainer quit, so, I guess it's consistent). The real problems start at the top, that's where the tone gets set, that's where the corporate mentality starts.

It's too bad when MLS decided to use the NFL model they didn't also copy the part about having individual owners instead of corporate ownership with boards of directors....

Agree with most of what you said excpet for the bolded part. Mo is the sole guy who brings the players in and out. I think (and could be wrong) that due to the low salaries of MLS, MLSE basically just signs the cheques, and counts the beans (with the exception of a DP situation, I'd assume some in MLSE would get involved in that).....the 2.5 million cap of TFC is worth less that Jeff Finger....I don't think 2.5 mil concerns MLSE too much.

Oldtimer
02-10-2010, 03:07 PM

I disagree. MLSE stepped up when no individual would have taken a risk on MLS-level soccer in Toronto after all of those failures in the past. While they aren't good at GM choices, they know how to run a professional organization.

As someone who watched an individual (Bruno Hartrell) run the Lynx, I can say that individual ownership is no guarantee of anything better. Robert Kraft (an individual) runs New England, and their supporters keep on saying how cheap he is.

Cashcleaner
02-10-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm not really blown away by the guy's record, but it is a position we need filled so we gotta give Preki the benefit of the doubt here. Looks like he had a good run in NCAA, though.

Beach_Red
02-10-2010, 03:17 PM
I disagree. MLSE stepped up when no individual would have taken a risk on MLS-level soccer in Toronto after all of those failures in the past. While they aren't good at GM choices, they know how to run a professional organization.

As someone who watched an individual (Bruno Hartrell) run the Lynx, I can say that individual ownership is no guarantee of anything better.

Oh you're right, of course. I wish there was someone else - with money - who wanted to do it but I understand. It's the same with so many MLS markets. But we can see how it makes a difference - look at Seattle, it's the ownership that's the difference. Could you imagine MLSE tampering with a coach under contract and then just paying the fine?

But sure, even in the NFL some teams - Detroit - can have lousy results for years. The Saints owner didn't bring success for a long time.

But I find this distraction makes things too easy for MLSE. I'm glad it will end this season one way or the other. Either the team makes the playoffs or there will be changes. I would prefer making the playoffs because I don't care who runs the team.

Nuvinho
02-10-2010, 03:17 PM
He makes $34,008

not a major risk taken by TFC....good move considering we have no CBs.

Rudi
02-10-2010, 03:19 PM

As someone who watched an individual (Bruno Hartrell) run the Lynx, I can say that individual ownership is no guarantee of anything better. Robert Kraft (an individual) runs New England, and their supporters keep on saying how cheap he is.
QFT.

CretanBull
02-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Not to dispute your clouded memory... :rofl:

But in all the games he's played in the MLS, he only has 4 career cards, all being yellows and no reds. Not bad for a guy who's supposedly all elbows and late tackles. Can't be worse than Harmse in that regard!

Trust me, I doubt my memory too...

Back in 2007 though I watched a ton of (non-TFC) MLS games, I was trying to learn as much as I could about the league, the teams and the players....I'm reasonably sure he was a bit of a dirty player.

It seems like a good move though. At worse he's gives us some depth. At best he'll be a regular starter.

Something that we should all keep in mind though is that there must be a reason why he couldn't crack the Rapids line-up, and a reason why they let him go for a 3rd rounder. Quality depth players on affordable contracts aren't usually the types of players that teams are looking to deal away.

ArmenJBX
02-10-2010, 03:53 PM
AGAIN!!!!!

I have to make a video, because I can't even believe it myself. This is the third instance of me signing a player in FIFA 10, and then it happens in real life.

I'm gunna go film myself booting up FIFA 10, showing the last date of save, and then show you the roster I have, because I can't believe that this keeps happening.

Fully expect to see Dejan Jakovic and Will Johnson by the end of the month. I PROMISE YOU TFC will have them.

drewski
02-10-2010, 03:59 PM
AGAIN!!!!!

I have to make a video, because I can't even believe it myself. This is the third instance of me signing a player in FIFA 10, and then it happens in real life.

I'm gunna go film myself booting up FIFA 10, showing the last date of save, and then show you the roster I have, because I can't believe that this keeps happening.

Fully expect to see Dejan Jakovic and Will Johnson by the end of the month. I PROMISE YOU TFC will have them.

any chance you can sign Rooney, Ronaldo and a d-line? :D

Hitcho
02-10-2010, 04:01 PM
TFC is sad
And i am fool.

Correct!!

:D - haha!

I don't think TFC is sad though. I'm begining to think Preki has got a firm plan in mind and he'll slowly start to overhaul the squad in a sensible and progressive manner.

The trouble is, Mo will no doubt ride the credit for this. Gah! :rolleyes:

Hitcho
02-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Jimmy - nevermind the man utd dream team players, get onto FIFA and sign Bornstein (see if you can trade Garcia for him just to ice the cake a bit) and a decent right winger from within MLS.

If you do, and we get those deals in place by the time we go down to Pissville, then I'll be seriously impressed...

ArmenJBX
02-10-2010, 04:10 PM
I Did That Too! :P Right now, my lineup is

--------------------------Stefan Frei-------------------------------
Marvell Wynne---Nana Attakora---Dejan Jakovic---Jonathan Bornstein
-----------------------Julian de Guzman----------------------------
---Will Johnson-------------------------------Sam Cronin-----------
---------------------Dwayne De Rosario----------------------------
----------Chad Barrett-----------------Cam Weaver----------------

Hitcho
02-10-2010, 04:11 PM
You traded Garcia for Bornstein? Ha ha ha! You mean bastard! :D

ArmenJBX
02-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Here's my full list

Stefan Frei
Brian Edwards

Marvell Wynne
Nana Attakora
Ty Harden
Dejan Jakovic
Emmanuel Gomez
Zac Herold
Jonathan Bornstein
Gabe Gala

Jacob Peterson
Patrice Bernier
Sam Cronin
Julian de Guzman
Will Johnson
Dwayne de Rosario
Amadou Sanyang

Chad Barrett
Cam Weaver
Fuad Ibrahim
O'Brian White
Ali Gerba

DichioTFC
02-10-2010, 05:18 PM
with all the baseless negativity, is there any wonder why players dont want to come to toronto?

not sure if people are expecting Vidic or Carvalho to magically appear at BMO, but quite frankly most new additions are a vast improvement over our D-line last year.

best of luck to Mr. Harden.

TFCRegina
02-10-2010, 05:31 PM
As I said on CBC.ca:

If the guy busts, it cost us a player we'd have cut anyway...a third round pick.

If he succeeds, we basically got him for free.

How is this a bad trade at all?

Lennon
02-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Ty? Sigh.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oo8CrY_ZfFk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oo8CrY_ZfFk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ua-kozak_TFC
02-10-2010, 05:39 PM

Solid pick up Mo.
People find any excuse to suck on Mo's socks these days... First i am not sure who;s pick up this really was... whether MO or Preki. Second and more importantly these sounds too much like Garcia trade. People were claiming Mo just accomplished the steal of the season and robbed Sj blind...ANd then what happened?
There is a saying in spanish that translates to don;t look at teeths of the horse you got for free... meaning, if its cheap is for a reason..

ua-kozak_TFC
02-10-2010, 05:40 PM
As I said on CBC.ca:

If the guy busts, it cost us a player we'd have cut anyway...a third round pick.

If he succeeds, we basically got him for free.

How is this a bad trade at all?
see GARCIA

TFCRegina
02-10-2010, 05:48 PM
see GARCIA

We had to pay for Garcia, if the guy doesn't perform, we don't play him, and it cost us a 3rd round pick, plus salary, which is probably low, considering we have little cap space to play around with.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
People find any excuse to suck on Mo's socks these days... First i am not sure who;s pick up this really was... whether MO or Preki. Second and more importantly these sounds too much like Garcia trade. People were claiming Mo just accomplished the steal of the season and robbed Sj blind...ANd then what happened?
There is a saying in spanish that translates to don;t look at teeths of the horse you got for free... meaning, if its cheap is for a reason..

i think youre jumping the gun on this one, youve been correct in the past with regards to certain things but this is hardly a terrible trade. A 3rd round pick for a decent CB with a decent track record.

v00d00daddy
02-10-2010, 06:09 PM
It's stupid to suggest that this guy sucks. Equally stupid is to suggest that he's good.

99% of the people commenting on this signing have never seen this guy play (that they can remember)...me included.

I'll wait until I see him play before I determine if he's any good. It's hilarious that people are getting upset that this guy is not good enough...who knows. He may be just fine.

It's equally funny to see people praising Preki/Mo/whoever for the signing. Yes..he was once highly touted. So were tons of other players...(marvel wynne anyone?)

This is a wait and see for me.

T_Mizz
02-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I really don't get why Mo gets the blame and Preki gets the praise. How do people keep finding out that good signings are from Preki and bad signings are from Mo?

Hitcho
02-10-2010, 06:59 PM

In fairness, I think Stryker's post was heavily laced with sarcasm. I don't think he was "sucking on Mo's socks" (whatever that means).

This smacks of being Preki's trade to me. Mo has no history of making this kind of trade. I'm betting Peterson and Harden are 100% Preki requests. Frankly, i think it's quite refreshing to see us making this kind of trade instead of looking to players like Andrade, Robert, etc.

Hitcho
02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
I really don't get why Mo gets the blame and Preki gets the praise. How do people keep finding out that good signings are from Preki and bad signings are from Mo?

Hah - that's a funny generalisation! It will become law on here soon ehnough though.

I would simply note that Mo doesn' have any history of going for players like Peterson and Harden. Preki has already been credited with the peterson acquisition, and given that Peki apparently used to watch all the LAG games he could when he was at Chivas, I would guess he saw harden play then and is now acting on what he saw. it just doesn;t have the Mo aura about it based on the last three years.

Not to say that peterson and harden will be either good r bad trades, only time will tell on that front. It's just that they don't seem like the kind of player Mo has spent the last three eyars bringing in.

Time to move MoJo out of TFC. We need a fresh approach and maybe Preki can provide that.

jloome
02-10-2010, 07:27 PM

This is a fine example of revising history through an abstract statemetn to support your point (something I do occasionally, and am usually slapped down for it by Rudi.)

There were numerous people at the time saying Garcia was past it. There was very little love, and a lot of "wait and see", along with some hope. That's it. Plus, we paid for him. So it's not really comparable.

I'd also note that Harden was LA's starting left centre half for the entire 2007 season. He's not a bench player. Unless they get someone more experienced and push him wide left, I'd expect him to be lining up in the middle next to Nana.

jloome
02-10-2010, 07:33 PM
. Yes..he was once highly touted. So were tons of other players...(marvel wynne anyone?)

1. Marvell just got called up again. He's still highly touted, whether we like him or not.

2. Harden wasn't "highly touted," if that's to suggest he was seen as a prospect. He started 25 games for LA in 2007 before walking away. He was a competitive, highly-regarded, day-in-day-out starter in the league for it's alleged flagship franchise. So it's a bit disingenuous to suggest you can't draw any conclusions about ability until you see him.

I somehow doubt a knee injury and 18 months of downtime have entirely robbed him of whatever made him a starter.

Nuvinho
02-10-2010, 08:00 PM
What Harden is.......a serviceable MLS player. To be successful in the MLS, you don't need to fill your rosters with players outside of the MLS to win....look at RSL and Columbus the past 2 years.

Him alone won't fill the void we have at CB, but can definately help......especially for $34K.

jloome
02-10-2010, 08:58 PM
What Harden is.......a serviceable MLS player. To be successful in the MLS, you don't need to fill your rosters with players outside of the MLS to win....look at RSL and Columbus the past 2 years.

Him alone won't fill the void we have at CB, but can definately help......especially for $34K.

I think he could be more than serviceable, but yeah, that should be the minmum expectation.

MUFC_Niagara
02-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Guys, lets give him a chance before we rip him....

ArmenJBX
02-10-2010, 09:14 PM
He isn't the answer to our problems, but he is a good player who, at 34K, is a steal.

Let's wait for the CBA, then the real signings will start pouring in.

v00d00daddy
02-10-2010, 09:43 PM
1. Marvell just got called up again. He's still highly touted, whether we like him or not.

2. Harden wasn't "highly touted," if that's to suggest he was seen as a prospect. He started 25 games for LA in 2007 before walking away. He was a competitive, highly-regarded, day-in-day-out starter in the league for it's alleged flagship franchise. So it's a bit disingenuous to suggest you can't draw any conclusions about ability until you see him.

I somehow doubt a knee injury and 18 months of downtime have entirely robbed him of whatever made him a starter.

I see your point. But let's remember..you're one of very few people who actually seem to know what this guy is about. I'm assuming you've seen him play a lot or something.

Otherwise...going off of a Wikipedia or some press clippings (which is what most people are judging this guy on) is hardly enough to make an informed decision on the guy.

As for not being able to draw any conclusions until I see him...I stick by that 100%.

Marvell Wynne is highly touted...but not by me...and that's what we're talking about after all..our opinions of players.

I'll wait to see Harden before I say whether I think he's good or bad.

Blazer
02-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Here’s what this truly is:

· A low risk chance on a guy that has shown he can play in this league all for the low cost of a third round draft pick. What the hell is left after 3 rounds of drafting NCAA guys into MLS level soccer anyway?!

This isn’t a smart or a dumb trade. It’s an unknown acquisition for a next to nothing cost. He certainly won't be the difference.

Like trading a stick of bubble gum for a paper clip.

deschamp86
02-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Like trading a stick of bubble gum for a paper clip.

If you traded for the paper clip, you got ripped off.

Blazer
02-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Not if you have bad breath. Then it's a smart move. ;)

J .
02-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Great depth addition to the squad. This signing has more to do with Serioux not being renewed and a lack of useable depth on the squad.

Preki wants players who will work within a system and are good character people. This guy smacks of someone with a good team mentality who will fight to win.

People forget that season with LA, it was a very individual oriented club with no structure. I would not place much on him for all the goals against. Goals against demonstrate a club low on tactical play. Not the type of club we will be seeing next season (I hope).

Finally, I dont care what any player does off the pitch so long as it doesn't have a negative effect on the product on the pitch. In fact, its good he demonstrated his character. We know he isn't a basket case.

106-12
02-11-2010, 12:25 AM
we need more depth every where , if we look at the dates TFC is playing in may and july we can see lots of games are withen 3 days of each other and that why we need players like him and more .

jloome
02-11-2010, 12:39 AM
I see your point. But let's remember..you're one of very few people who actually seem to know what this guy is about. I'm assuming you've seen him play a lot or something.

Otherwise...going off of a Wikipedia or some press clippings (which is what most people are judging this guy on) is hardly enough to make an informed decision on the guy.

As for not being able to draw any conclusions until I see him...I stick by that 100%.

Marvell Wynne is highly touted...but not by me...and that's what we're talking about after all..our opinions of players.

I'll wait to see Harden before I say whether I think he's good or bad.

He was very promising in 07. I caught nearly all of LA's games and he had a couple of really notable performances where his man-marking shone. He marked Juan Pablo Angel almost entirely out of a game that LA would've won if Altidore hadn't skinned them late and he shutdown Jaime Moreno and Christian Gomez against Washington.

I remember him being pretty pully-tuggy. He didn't get called a lot but he hands all over his guy, really annoying to play against. Of his pairing with Ty Marshall (the season before we got him) he was the stronger of the two, by a landslide (similar to Gonzalez and the experienced-but-terminally-slow Greg Berhalter last season in LA).

Unless he's had a radical attitude shift since walking away, I really think it's promising. Not a lock to workout, but promising.

Brooker
02-11-2010, 06:42 PM
jloome's review sounds promising.

also he's hot and his name is Harden. that's just funny.

jloome
02-11-2010, 09:10 PM
jloome's review sounds promising.

also he's hot and his name is Harden. that's just funny.

Ba-dump-bump (rimshot!).

He was LA's defender of the year that year, too, although still the best of a pretty bad bunch.

H Bomb
02-11-2010, 09:21 PM
just on the Soccer show. Seemed pleasant enough and said he was very happy to come to Toronto. And now we know

The Oz
02-12-2010, 10:03 AM
This guy can pray to the flying spaghetti monster for all i care... as long as he can defend!

QFT!

Yohan
02-13-2010, 01:18 PM
i remember the guy for clearing the ball off the line, on a lombardo sure goal.
i think he was also the guy that cunny knocked off the ball to score the winner in LA.
that was Greg Vanney, not Harden. one of funniest individual defending blunders I've seen

exactly. star power won't win you games in MLS. you need a solid and affordable utility players as supporting cast

Harden sounds like a realistic guy to me. he knows MLS pay sucks, so he has a back up plan by going back to school.

interesting to see how he'll pan out under Preki, but not being able to crack Crapids lineup last year is a bit mystifying

Ossington Mental Youth
02-13-2010, 04:34 PM
he did return later in the season (i believe) and they already had their cbs sorta set

brad
02-13-2010, 05:30 PM
interesting to see how he'll pan out under Preki, but not being able to crack Crapids lineup last year is a bit mystifying

Apparently he was injured last season.