PDA

View Full Version : Please change the start time for the May 22nd game

RedsYNWA
02-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Is it too much too ask for that the TFC game be prior to, or after the Champions League Final:(
How about a 12:30 or 1:00 start, or an evening game. Who agreed to this time?????

Section 117
02-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Yes I second that. It is the biggest game outside of the World Cup finals and the Superbowl.

Come on MLSE make it happen change the game time

flatpicker
02-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Is it too much too ask for that the TFC game be prior to, or after the Champions League Final:(
How about a 12:30 or 1:00 start, or an evening game. Who agreed to this time?????

you did you bastard! You must have been drinking and forgot.

I'm so disappointed in you.

JonO
02-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Apparently, someone somewhere said MLSE are trying to get it changed, but it's a TV rights thing. Them's that pays the bills....

Hitcho
02-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Yes I second that. It is the biggest game outside of the World Cup finals and the FA Cup Final.

Come on MLSE make it happen change the game time

FIXED!!! :D:D:D

Carts
02-10-2010, 09:36 AM

CBC Television...

You may have a chance at getting the game moved up - if TFC really presses MLS & CBC & the Local American Broadcaster (possible NESN)...

You have 0% chance of it being moved back - as it falls in the NHL Playoffs, and CBC knows where their audience is...

4pm is the safest time for CBC & the US Broadcaster... Why? CBC will press for any NHL Playoff game to start at the traditional 7pm/et... The main US Network (NBC) will push for the NHL Playoff game to start at the more American friendly time of 1pm/et...

4pm is the safest time for both networks...

HOWEVER, with ESPN WorldWide (actually Disney Co.) broadcasting and actually controlling the worldwide feed of the Champions League Final, they may press NESN (they could care less about Canada) to petition to have the game moved altogether...

Sit tight, this game could change times, or dates, before all is said and done...

Carts...

Hitcho
02-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Ok, people - listen. The correct phrase is "could NOT care less".

To say "could care less" means that you do actually care to some extent and it is therefore possible for you to lower the amount that you do actually care.

To say you "could NOT care less" means it is impossible for you to care less, since you don't actually care at all.

Do the people of North America just not get this? It hapepns all the time, and the incorrect phrase just makes no sense at all. This is not a dig at Carts, it's something that comes up all the time. I used to think it was a typo here and there, but apparently it's not.

[/rant] :D

JonO
02-10-2010, 09:53 AM
pfft - I could care less....

Hitcho
02-10-2010, 09:54 AM
^ see what I mean? Take this idiot for example... :D:D:D

4evared
02-10-2010, 10:12 AM

To say "could care less" means that you do actually care to some extent and it is therefore possible for you to lower the amount that you do actually care.

To say you "could NOT care less" means it is impossible for you to care less, since you don't actually care at all.

Do the people of Canada just not get this? It hapepns all the time, and the incorrect phrase just makes no sense at all. This is not a dig at Carts, it's something that comes up all the time. I used to think it was a typo here and there, but apparently it's not.

I could NOT agree with you any more!!!!
I can NOT understand the use of this phrase as well.
The trouble is the phrase is so often used that it will NOT get changed. Unfortunately. :facepalm:

BC101
02-10-2010, 10:16 AM
LOL if yer team is in the CL final simply skip the TFC game. Problem solved.

Section 117
02-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Even though my team has been knocked out of Champions league I still want to watch.

MLS change the damm time

BC101
02-10-2010, 10:31 AM
.......have you ever tried watching TFC immediately following a CL final? I have... We played DCU that year... It was barely watchable... Actually it wasn't watchable I didn't even watch it. I should've just stayed at the place where I watched CL final. Dont' ask for time change unless you're prepared for a significant downgrade in quality.

Parkdale
02-10-2010, 10:34 AM
... Dont' ask for time change unless you're prepared for a significant downgrade in quality.

yeah, the quality of play is very different, but we're all used to that by now.

We know TFC isn't at that level, and probably never will be, so we deal with it and move on.

how's the expression go? Love the One you're with

let's keep it positive guys.

Carts
02-10-2010, 10:34 AM
.......have you ever tried watching TFC immediately following a CL final? I have... We played DCU that year... It was barely watchable... Actually it wasn't watchable I didn't even watch it. I should've just stayed at the place where I watched CL final. Dont' ask for time change unless you're prepared for a significant downgrade in quality.

I think everyone accepts the downgrade from a CL Final to a MLS Game...

But I agree, I'd like to watch both...

Carts...

BC101
02-10-2010, 10:35 AM

We know TFC isn't at that level, and probably never will be, so we deal with it and move on.

Believe me its not hating its just... After watching a CL final TFC is REALLY below what you've just seen. Though to be fair the day I went to the BMO field match following TFC was the year we won CL so... I wasn't in any other mood than that of well you know.

Ladies Love Julius James
hahahah the entire day should be a write-off to be honest last year's CL was watched globally by more folks than the Superbowl of last year. The DCU game I showed up drunk, with a black eye, and a constant buzzing noise that was all around me. Oh and I was working LOL

Ideally the game should be re-scheduled entirely but that won't happen so like BC the time should be left the way it is and people choose 1. Cause if TFC lose right after the CL final you'll realize "what the fuck was I watching"

Fort York Redcoat

Do the people of Canada just not get this? It hapepns all the time, and the incorrect phrase just makes no sense at all. This is not a dig at Carts, it's something that comes up all the time. I used to think it was a typo here and there, but apparently it's not.

Americans say it all the time as well. It pisses me off. So do 2 others.

Supposably I go nucular. Wait am I in the mental thread?

Torcida
02-10-2010, 10:36 AM
I know where I won't be on May 22nd....BMO Field.

Ladies Love Julius James
02-10-2010, 10:38 AM

Directly after each other the perceptual differences have a greater effect. If you make the transition from EPL to MLS or any top league we could all agree there would be difference. But if you were to watch a CL final game then attend an MLS game RIGHT after the differences would be far more greater as opposed to time in between. Not just skill but things like pace, the ref, pitch quality, etc etc. It has a higher detrimental effect in my opinion. Even the hardcore TFC supporters say "what the fuck?" If it was rescheduled the perceptual differences would be a lot less I believe.

BC101
02-10-2010, 10:39 AM
hahahah the entire day should be a write-off to be honest last year's CL was watched globally by more folks than the Superbowl of last year. The DCU game I showed up drunk, with a black eye, and a constant buzzing noise that was all around me. Oh and I was working LOL

Ideally the game should be re-scheduled entirely but that won't happen so like BC the time should be left the way it is and people choose 1. Cause if TFC lose right after the CL final you'll realize "what the fuck was I watching"
Even when they won against DCU that year i was just like "................. thats nice..............." I was like already done for... One killer game of footy is enough in a day me thinks.

BC101
02-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Directly after each other the perceptual differences have a greater effect. If you make the transition from EPL to MLS or any top league we could all agree there would be difference. But if you were to watch a CL final game then attend an MLS game RIGHT after the differences would be far more greater as opposed to time in between. Not just skill but things like pace, the ref, pitch quality, etc etc. It has a higher detrimental effect in my opinion. Even the hardcore TFC supporters say "what the fuck?" If it was rescheduled the perceptual differences would be a lot less I believe.
THATS the thing when we went it was RIGHT AFTER infact we were late to the TFC game. I showed up and the first/Only goal had gone in. Its too soon after if it was CL final say 10 AM then TFC at like 7 then maybe i could swing it. Depends on whos playing.

KdotOdot
02-10-2010, 10:40 AM
See I'll probably PVR the game and watch it after the TFC game. Just wear headphones all day to avoid the score.

BC101
02-10-2010, 10:45 AM
See I'll probably PVR the game and watch it after the TFC game. Just wear headphones all day to avoid the score.
easiest path if you wanna do both....Logically sound.

MG42
02-10-2010, 10:47 AM
they'll probably announce the CL score over the PA lol

Hitcho
02-10-2010, 10:52 AM

I've edited the rant to make it the people of North America based on your response Forts - wouldn't want our friends south of the border to feel left out! :D

JonO has just come into my office and added "for all intensive purposes" to the list. I think my head is now about to explode!

:hulk:

Parkdale
02-10-2010, 10:53 AM
they'll probably announce the CL score over the PA lol

yeah right.... and admit the leagues scheduling blunder in front of everyone?

If the game is big enough to announce the score, it's also big enough to schedule around it.

TFC FORZA RPB
02-10-2010, 10:57 AM
While we are at it, can we change all Saturday start times to 7pm, at least between May and September?

Daveisonfire
02-10-2010, 11:02 AM

It Doesn't work. I tried that a couple years ago with the Chelsea v Man United CL Final...when you're surrounded by football people you are bound to overhear the result.

It was an oversight on MLSE's part, and I remember hearing that they tried to fix it, but were unable to. It was on ICF or The Footy Show podcast I think.

flatpicker
02-10-2010, 11:04 AM
I've edited the rant to make it the people of North America based on your response Forts - wouldn't want our friends south of the border to feel left out! :D

JonO has just come into my office and added "for all intensive purposes" to the list. I think my head is now about to explode!

:hulk:

Well, you can't argue that this thread has "intensive purpose".
But I could care less about that.

;)

Hitcho
02-10-2010, 11:06 AM
^ Just when I was starting to like you Flats... :D:D:D

James17930
02-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Well, you can't argue that this thread has "intensive purpose".
But I could care less about that.

;)

The funny thing is, you know that someone is reading that and going:

"That's right, isn't it?"

rocker
02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
I won't be watching champions league. why would I want to watch a game with teams I don't root for? I've never even visited Europe so I have no loyalties to teams over there.

TFC!!!

Parkdale
02-10-2010, 12:05 PM
While we are at it, can we change all Saturday start times to 7pm, at least between May and September?

that would work for you, but not for me.

I like afternoon games!!

Brooker
02-10-2010, 12:16 PM
pfft - I could care less....

agreed. I don't really care who buys this tourny.

Whoop
02-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Evening games are the best but that won't happen until after the Stanley Cup playoffs are done.

TFC FORZA RPB
02-10-2010, 12:32 PM
that would work for you, but not for me.

I like afternoon games!!

LOL either way i would prefer to watch them on Sunday's(anytime but afternoon's are better) rather then Saturday's, but I highly doubt, MLS or MLSE really care to accomidate my sched

flatpicker
02-10-2010, 12:49 PM
I won't be watching champions league. why would I want to watch a game with teams I don't root for? I've never even visited Europe so I have no loyalties to teams over there.

TFC!!!

I watch footy on tv all the time, and it never involves teams that I cheer for.
I have no particular devotion to any team beyond TFC, though I do have some interest in Bristol Rovers (who will not be playing in CL final).

I watch because it's entertaining.
Usually I just end up rooting for the underdog.

Hitcho
02-10-2010, 01:16 PM
I watch footy on tv all the time, and it never involves teams that I cheer for.
I have no particular devotion to any team beyond TFC, though I do have some interest in Bristol Rovers (who will not be playing in CL final).

I watch because it's entertaining.
Usually I just end up rooting for the underdog.

Much like being a TFC fan then! :D

flatpicker
02-10-2010, 01:22 PM
^ for all intents and purposes, yes.

hmmm.... I know I can do better...

AL-MO
02-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Good call on this thread. I want to watch both games.

If I am watching the CL Final I'd find it pretty hard to leave the pub to go to the TFC game. (and that is without any of the teams I follow playing in the game)

AL-MO
02-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Fuck they moved the NYRB game up two months to accommodate that cash grab last year...moving this game up to 12:00PM is the least they could do.

denime
02-10-2010, 01:36 PM
So you want this game to be moved?

No problem, let me see what I can do,stay tuned. :wink:

RedsYNWA
02-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Liverpool will not be playing in this game....but whoever does.. just like the Superbowl it's a must see. Good call by Uefa to have this game on a weekend where people can turn this into a superbowl/World cup type party. I know I will.
I see no reason to have this game right before the CL final. It would be perfect

Detroit_TFC
02-10-2010, 09:17 PM
In case you haven't heard, in the US, Fox was going to show the final on FX (basic cable). They announced today that instead they are going to put it on the primary Fox network, the first international soccer match to be aired on the home network. Between being on a Saturday and now having an over-the-air/cable/satellite reach to nearly every household in the US, the ratings potential is quite good.

sully
02-10-2010, 09:23 PM
What, tt's true!!!!!! How can anybody think this can work??? Change the bloody time of the Toronto game and don't expect to be thanked for it by the way, it just makes common sense.

ag futbol
02-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Apparently, someone somewhere said MLSE are trying to get it changed, but it's a TV rights thing. Them's that pays the bills....
Whoever the genius is that thinks going head-to-head with champions league finals on TV is a good idea should be saved from their own stupidity. No wonder soccer had problems being successful previously in North America ... It's being managed by the guy who sells ice cream in the winter and skis in July.

Clearly our schedule has been dumped and twisted around to accommodate other teams in the league. Now it's time for it to work for us.

They can put it later in the day or on Sunday (without much impact) but the current time is stupidity.

JuliquE
02-10-2010, 10:34 PM

Do the people of North America just not get this? It hapepns all the time, and the incorrect phrase just makes no sense at all. This is not a dig at Carts, it's something that comes up all the time. I used to think it was a typo here and there, but apparently it's not.

I like you, Hitchio; this is something I'd trip over, as well.. albeit, mentally and not for too long.

Ranks up there with "your stupid." Really?! Where -- WHERE is my stupid, you dingle-douche. :)

Right.. they really should do something about this date/time, but my outlook on such an alteration isn't too optimistic.

English Rachel
02-11-2010, 08:53 AM

Lol yes!

And what about slowpoke???? That's one that didn't travel across the Atlantic well seeing as it started as SLOWCOACH!!! lol

Parkdale
02-11-2010, 09:11 AM
So you want this game to be moved?

No problem, let me see what I can do,stay tuned. :wink:

thanks dude! :canada:

ilikemusic
02-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Not sure if it has been posted, but apparently the final is going to broadcast on Fox. The regular network. Thats huge for soccer in the US.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/02/fox-european-champions-league-final-soccer-broadcast-air-live.html

Pigfynn
02-11-2010, 10:23 AM
^^I saw last night that it will up the viewership from 95 million to over 135 million households in the U.S, by being on Fox. They also said on the FSR that the Champions League final last year destroyed this year's Super Bowl by over 40 million viewers.

Soccer, worldwide absolutley kills all other sports in TV viewership...no contest. Which is why the TFC game needs to be moved to a 12pm kickoff.

Carts
02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
^^I saw last night that it will up the viewership from 95 million to over 135 million households in the U.S, by being on Fox. They also said on the FSR that the Champions League final last year destroyed this year's Super Bowl by over 40 million viewers.

Soccer, worldwide absolutley kills all other sports in TV viewership...no contest. Which is why the TFC game needs to be moved to a 12pm kickoff.

Like I said all - just sit tight...

Its a busy sports TV calendar in May - the TV networks will agree on a game-time, and even a game-date when things are all sorted...

They can't make any rash changes now because they don't know what they're up against...

Yes, we know about Champions League, but CBC doesn't know about the NHL Playoffs etc - and NESN (or whatever US Local) doesn't know about MLB or NBA playoffs...

Sit tight - I'm guessing in the end something will happen...

Carts...

sully
02-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Does a channel in Canada has the rights to the Champions League final?

Carts
02-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Does a channel in Canada has the rights to the Champions League final?

SportsNet...

Part of their rights package...

They won't be producing the final - just picking up the world feed, with Dobson & Forrest doing a produced pre-game, halftime, post show...

Works out well for Canadian viewers - if SportsNet has a Jays game or something else, they'll simple show the Jays on two channels, and the CL Final on two channels...

Carts...

jaahuuu
02-11-2010, 04:09 PM

Last years CL final may have beaten this year's Super Bowl worldwide, but in the US, Super Bowl XLIV was the highest rated program ever. It broke the record set by the 1983 finale of M*A*S*H by over half a million viewers.

Carts
02-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Last years CL final may have beaten this year's Super Bowl worldwide, but in the US, Super Bowl XLIV was the highest rated program ever. It broke the record set by the 1983 finale of M*A*S*H by over half a million viewers.

The CL Final in the US only drew a couple million viewers - BUT, for the timeslot it was in, it was massive...

Because of that - it acquired the interest of the TV execs etc...

This years final is an experiment to see if having the Final on a Saturday (instead of the middle of the day in the middle of the work week) will bring in a bigger audience...

They're testing the water to see if it works - if it does, its great for football in this country...

Carts...