PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Wednesday,Feb.10

denime
02-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Mornin'

MLS takes TFC for granted (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/02/09/12806196-qmi.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

DOMIN8R
02-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Although, his the intent is good - Sandor doesn't understand how involved teams are in making the schedule. He wrongly assumes that MLSE would prefer it otherwise. When we look back ot MoJo and PB comments over the years we learn that they have frequently made (asked and received) specific scheduling requests. Heck, PB even goes to the point of asking us what days of the work week would we prefer when attending home games.

Derko
02-10-2010, 07:26 AM
I thought the MLS was suspending games during the World Cup, another set of lies from MLS brass!!

nascarguy
02-10-2010, 07:40 AM
I thought the MLS was suspending games during the World Cup, another set of lies from MLS brass!!
there is a 15 days break in june last mls game is june 10 the next game is not in till the 25th

Broadview
02-10-2010, 07:58 AM

No games during the group stage from what I understand. Though I haven't actually checked. If England and the USA flop and don't advance I suppose there's a chance they could make it to Toronto, but it's a very slim chance.

As for the Champions League final/TFC conflict, I think it was The 24th Minute where I read TFC realized this and tried to work around it but CBC wouldn't play ball. Can't really stick that one to MLS.

Sandor also calls the Thursday ESPN a miserable night game. I and lots of other people really enjoy the night games.

I usually really like reading Sandor's articles but this one seems whiney for the sake of being whiney. I guess he had to write something though since nobody else did :)

FluSH
02-10-2010, 08:06 AM
And, don't forget, Toronto has a home opener on a Thursday night, not a beautiful Saturday spring afternoon, against Philadelphia. The date was moved to accommodate ESPN. Unfortunately, Canadian viewers don't get ESPN. To us, it's a miserable Thursday night date.

Sandor,

You need to take that Friday off... it won't be mirserable anymore :D

keem-o-sabi
02-10-2010, 08:20 AM
I love the night mid-week matches. Why is it miserable to go to a match midweek, people around the world do it....

keem-o-sabi
02-10-2010, 08:21 AM
coed girls 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/02/09/miss-coed-anneka-rai/)and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/02/09/dominique-piek-is-todays-daily-snapshot/)

daner90
02-10-2010, 08:28 AM
SUNshine Girl Courtney is 19 years old and her hobby is "crushing beers." When Courtney isn't drinking beer rather quickly, she likes to spend her time off in bed. After all, crushing beers takes a lot out of a girl.

:hurray: :drool5:

Eastend
02-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Sandor,

You need to take that Friday off... it won't be mirserable anymore :D

Done the day it was announced.

Eastend
02-10-2010, 08:41 AM
SUNshine Girl Courtney is 19 years old and her hobby is "crushing beers." When Courtney isn't drinking beer rather quickly, she likes to spend her time off in bed. After all, crushing beers takes a lot out of a girl.

:hurray: :drool5:

You're from the sh'wa right? lol

Miko
02-10-2010, 08:57 AM
^^ Whitby elitism rears it's ugly head again :)

Carts
02-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Done the day it was announced.

Oh ya!

I did the same - AND took Thursday off too, to mentally prepare for the game - :drinking:

Carts... :D

Oldtimer
02-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Bad news that all of our NCC matches are weeknight, because:

McCarthy's Musings: History Indicates Midweek Matches Hinder MLS Playoff Hopes

A brief study of the allocation of midweek matches – defined as all games played between Monday and Friday for these purposes – in MLS during the CONCACAF Champions League era (2008-present) reveals clubs have struggled to make a sustained playoff impact when faced with fixture congestion.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/02/10/1784507/mccarthys-musings-history-indicates-midweek-matches-hinder

Let's hope the new CBA includes a larger roster.

Steve
02-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Of course, the side benefit to having a game against LA during the world cup is that they will be (if everything goes well for them) missing their two best players, where TFC have no players playing on a world cup team. I'd rather a win than see Becks and Landycakes.

TFCRegina
02-10-2010, 10:16 AM
We better hope the CBA gets sorted about Friday, or we won't be having a season!

CretanBull
02-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Sandor also calls the Thursday ESPN a miserable night game. I and lots of other people really enjoy the night games.

I like night games, but midweek night games causes problems for people who don't work a typical 9-5 job. I usually work 2:30pm-11pm, my buddy that I split my seasons with works 11pm-7:30am - and we live in Pickering. It means I have to take a day off work and he has to take off immediately after the game (and can't drink during the game).

I realize that its bound to happen a few times a year, but its unfortunate that its happening for our opening game vs. a new team. It means for our home opener we won't have a tailgate/get together, won't have a chance to hook up with some friends that we haven't seen for months, it means Philly won't be able to send a significant number of supporters here - which robs us of an opportunity to establish links with them etc.

keem-o-sabi
02-10-2010, 11:02 AM
saw a tweet come across from the soccerinsider (Goff from the Washington Post) that the reds and Rapids are looking to make a trade today...

boban
02-10-2010, 11:04 AM
We better hope the CBA gets sorted about Friday, or we won't be having a season!
:facepalm:
What makes you think that?

keem-o-sabi
02-10-2010, 11:07 AM
well just announced, we picked up Ty Harden from the rapids.

jabbronies
02-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Fuck Beckham and Donovan - Should be an easy 3 pts for TFC against the Galaxy.

As for the rest of the schedule...there's alot more problems than what he stated in his article. Our best away games - Chicago and New York - are also mid-week games. Good luck send our troops in full force for those.

There's a 12pm weekend game scheduled mid season...12pm? wtf! That's barely enough time to wake up, eat breakfast and get drinkin'

James17930
02-10-2010, 11:11 AM
And Sandor doesn't seem to realize that actual TFC fans don't give a shit about Beckham or Donovan anyway.

jabbronies
02-10-2010, 11:18 AM
And Sandor doesn't seem to realize that actual TFC fans don't give a shit about Beckham or Donovan anyway.

I think it's more about the principal of it as oppose to the interest of the fans.

No we don't care about those two knobs, MLS knows that so they use this as an opportunity to give thier stars a break

menefreghista
02-10-2010, 11:19 AM
How can you say MLS takes TFC for granted when they give us incredible favours, like allowing Frei to remain Generation Adidas, and therefore not counting against our cap?

boban
02-10-2010, 11:22 AM
How can you say MLS takes TFC for granted when they give us incredible favours, like allowing Frei to remain Generation Adidas, and therefore not counting against our cap?
Ahh don't worry, there is always some emotional mindless posts going on in here.

menefreghista
02-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Ahh don't worry, there is always some emotional mindless posts going on in here.

Well, I guess in this case its a mindless journalist...

polak9pete
02-10-2010, 11:26 AM
looks like Ty Harden is wearing #23

jabbronies
02-10-2010, 11:27 AM

It has nothing to do with MLS not doing favours for TFC.
It's about MLS not thinking things through when they made the schedule. And it's not the first time they've f'd the schedule IMO

The impression MLS is giving is that they are thinking "HEY BMO filed will sell out no matter what, so it doesn't really matter how we schedule thier home games"

As for road games, they didn't think that one through either IMO. They schedule Chicago on a weekday? Do they just figure that the rivalry alone between those two teams will allow a midweek sellout to happen? don't they realise we won't be sending as many people to chicago because of it? that great tension and atmosphere that could happen on a weekend may not be there in full force on a weekday?

jabbronies
02-10-2010, 11:38 AM

As for the gen adidas comment, there isn't a guideline on how players graduate from the program. Here's a good article describing the Gen Adidas program:

http://usasoccer.blogspot.com/2009/09/graduating-from-generation-adidas.html

Seems like there's alot of factors when considering a player for graduation from the progam.

Here's another article that gives more in depth detail on how players graduate from the program, it has less to do with MLS giving favours as it does the players progress in the program and the term of contract he has:
http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/ussoccerplayers/2010/01/mccabe-explains-generation-adidas.html

rocker
02-10-2010, 11:49 AM

yup.. and we HAVE seen Beckham. He played in the allstar game (very well, I might add). Everyone forgets this...

menefreghista
02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
As for the gen adidas comment, there isn't a guideline on how players graduate from the program. Here's a good article describing the Gen Adidas program:

It was a tremendous gift from MLS. We got really lucky on the Frei contract.

CoachGT
02-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Robbo's latest column:

http://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/84807/new-manager-preki-impresses-me-with-his-winning-outlook.aspx

polak9pete
02-10-2010, 12:45 PM
this guy Colombus picked up Sergio Herrera he seems to be a solid replacement for Moreno . In the last 3 years for Deportivo Cali he scored 8, 8 and 17 goals most recently in 09. He might be the Fredy Montero of 2010 IF we actually have a season if this stupid CBA crap gets resolved soon.

jenkinsm
02-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Fuck Beckham and Donovan - Should be an easy 3 pts for TFC against the Galaxy.

As for the rest of the schedule...there's alot more problems than what he stated in his article. Our best away games - Chicago and New York - are also mid-week games. Good luck send our troops in full force for those.

There's a 12pm weekend game scheduled mid season...12pm? wtf! That's barely enough time to wake up, eat breakfast and get drinkin'

An easy 3 pts from the Galaxy? Right...
Any idea what happened last season when they were missing those two?

ag futbol
02-10-2010, 02:21 PM
this guy Colombus picked up Sergio Herrera he seems to be a solid replacement for Moreno . In the last 3 years for Deportivo Cali he scored 8, 8 and 17 goals most recently in 09. He might be the Fredy Montero of 2010 IF we actually have a season if this stupid CBA crap gets resolved soon.
Not only that but he has a number of caps for their full national team.

**But** the big disclaimer is apparently he failed a medical or two recently. If that gets sorted out I think he'd be the 2nd most exciting player coming into MLS this year ... the first probably being Collins John who doing incredibly well in training camp apparently.

Phil
02-10-2010, 02:25 PM
SJ make a move for a brazilian:

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100210&content_id=8049840&vkey=news_sje&fext=.jsp&team=t110

and an update on the labour talks, looks like snow is slowing them down:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/wires/02/10/2050.ap.soc.mls.labor.0169/index.html

Phil
02-10-2010, 02:29 PM
One last news update, the Dero event on Saturday night raised $10 279 for the redcross in aid for the Hati earthquake.

Donations can be made at www.redcross.ca/deroent if anyone is intrested.

boban
02-10-2010, 03:47 PM
An easy 3 pts from the Galaxy? Right...
Any idea what happened last season when they were missing those two?
Exactly.