PDA

View Full Version : Paul James Hates Mo Johnston?

[NBF]
02-09-2010, 10:45 AM
I still remember the week when Paul James was fired from "The Footy Show". It was the same week he said on the show that Mo Johnston needed to be realistic about scouting the talent in the Canadian system and compensating teams in the CSL for taking their players when TFC was holding open tryouts for young players.

Paul James attitude towards Mo Johnston has always been that Mo Johnston has been fighting to keep his job since year one(ie. the erratic trades). In other words, Paul James has always been Mo's biggest critic and considering the 3 restructurings to the team in 3 years of the Mo Johnston era there is a good reason to question Mo Johnston in every season he has been at TFC.

Maybe Paul James can be Toronto FC's Lenarduzzi!:D

nobodybeatsthewiz
02-09-2010, 10:50 AM
you asked for it:

http://blogg.visir.is/nfl/files/2008/12/fire-millen.jpg

jabbronies
02-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Paul James is as exciting as watching paint dry.
And there are times where he rambles way too much on a single topic.
As an on air personality i can see why he was let go.

As for who's side I'm on. I choose no one.

Alarius
02-09-2010, 10:52 AM
PIKACHU I CHOOSE YOU...

http://www.pokemon-pearl-diamond.com/characters/pikachu.jpg

JonO
02-09-2010, 10:55 AM
http://fuzzyco.com/news/archives/mime/choo.gif

Whoop
02-09-2010, 10:56 AM
^^
LOL

Time approriate

JonO
02-09-2010, 10:58 AM
^ I know. Worked out awesome, didn't it :D

Beach_Red
02-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Did you happen to see the show that came on after the Super Bowl, Undercover Boss? Yes, a cheesy reality show, clearly manipulating for drama and all that, but if you look closely one of the things it seemed to show, somewhat accidently, was that the biggest problem in the company was middle-management.

Corporate came up with all these plans and the front-line workers did well with what they were told, but in between were all these people scared about losing their jobs and doing a crappy job implementing.

As I was watching I thought, "That's MLSE." What contract did they offer their first year? Mo and the coaches each got one year contracts, didn't they? Then another one or two years? And now two more. So, of course, middle management has always been scrambing and fighting to hold onto their jobs.

It would have made more sense to just give five year contracts (there would have been a lot more candidates willing to interview for the job then), but that would have required some bold decisions and MLSE - like most corporations - just don't think like that.

zeelaw
02-09-2010, 11:14 AM
you asked for it:

http://blogg.visir.is/nfl/files/2008/12/fire-millen.jpg

lol 5 years ago i got a fire millen chant going in the super bowl festivities there

menefreghista
02-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Paul James actually defended Mo Johnston in his latest blog entry:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/tfc-not-to-blame-for-lack-of-canadian-talent/article1460745/

Beach_Red
02-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Paul James actually defended Mo Johnston in his latest blog entry:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/tfc-not-to-blame-for-lack-of-canadian-talent/article1460745/

Sort of. He finishes with: "While Johnston and his peers in Vancouver and Montreal cannot be blamed for the lack of enough quality Canadian players at their disposal, they are nevertheless responsible for the development of the system that could change this current circumstance."

This goes back to my middle-management post. This has nothing to do with "Johnson and his peers," on one or two year contracts.

Does MLSE feel they have any responsibility at all to develop the system? They don't have anything to do with it in hockey or basketball why should they in soccer? They have only the responsibility to their share holders and it's always about the short term.

J .
02-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Well I think more kids will look at the pro leagues and parents will now start putting their kids into more intensive leagues. For hockey, its the parents that push their kids through. It will be similar in Canada. There just needs to be the tools to aim for like elite soccer comparable to AAA in hockey. When they hit 14 they could perhaps make the TFC academy.

rocker
02-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Does MLSE feel they have any responsibility at all to develop the system? They don't have anything to do with it in hockey or basketball why should they in soccer? They have only the responsibility to their share holders and it's always about the short term.

They don't do it in hockey or basketball because systems are in place to produce players already (junior hockey in Canada, NCAA basketball in the US). The NHL and NBA also don't have domestic player quotas. MLS's domestic rules for TFC are precisely what prompts TFC to come up with its own academy, which is a good start.

Beach_Red
02-09-2010, 01:43 PM
They don't do it in hockey or basketball because systems are in place to produce players already (junior hockey in Canada, NCAA basketball in the US). The NHL and NBA also don't have domestic player quotas. MLS's domestic rules for TFC are precisely what prompts TFC to come up with its own academy, which is a good start.

Well, it's a hybrid, right? Some TFC players do come through NCAA like NBA players.

But my real point was that it's ownership that has to be responsible, not middle management. Saying something like, "Mo Johnston and his peers," is silly. The GM has maybe a two year contract and after that could be running a different MLS team, you can't expect that level of management to be responsible for long-term development.

Toronto_Bhoy
02-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Did you happen to see the show that came on after the Super Bowl, Undercover Boss? Yes, a cheesy reality show, clearly manipulating for drama and all that, but if you look closely one of the things it seemed to show, somewhat accidently, was that the biggest problem in the company was middle-management.

Corporate came up with all these plans and the front-line workers did well with what they were told, but in between were all these people scared about losing their jobs and doing a crappy job implementing.

Ha! Ha! Beach I was telling my wife the same thing Sunday night!

Middle management has two jobs: Interpret management’s request and make sure it gets done.

Experience has shown me that middle management usually stumbles at the “interpretation stage”. I’m working on a project headed by our CEO…my boss is involved…just last week, we were in a meeting and heard the same request but came to TWO different conclusions on how to implement it.

She doesn’t care how it gets done…“just get it done”…I’m more of a “here’s what we can do to get it done”. People respond much better to the latter and I think do a better job.

If you have the right people you can get it done. I always say, "Is this a reasonable request?" If it is, its rarely a problem.

Beach_Red
02-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Middle management has two jobs: Interpret management’s request and make sure it gets done.

Experience has shown me that middle management usually stumbles at the “interpretation stage”.

And in the case of MLSE, what do they tell their middle management? Win championships or make a profit? And are they consistent. That's something that always drives people nuts at work, when the message coming from 'head office' isn't clear or isn't consistent. Sometimes they say one thing and mean another. And sometimes middle management has to guess and go by past experience. "I know they're saying to do ___, but the last guy who did that got fired," that kind of thing.

When "interpret" means "guess" everyone's in trouble.

trane
02-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Paul James does not understand that Mo has a five year plan. He needs to lighten up. No judging untill year five.

jabbronies
02-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Paul James does not understand that Mo has a five year plan. He needs to lighten up. No judging untill year five.

I think the time for judging is now.
We are 4 years into a a 5 year plan and this team still has gaping holes in it. This team needs to do well this year. it should be a contender right from the get go IMO.

Beach_Red
02-09-2010, 03:27 PM
We are 4 years into a a 5 year plan and this team still has gaping holes in it. This team needs to do well this year. it should be a contender right from the get go IMO.

I realize we're just joking around here, but there's a big difference between a "five year plan," and "it'll take five years to be competitive."

Looking at how the team started - the turf, the roster requirements, did they even have a training room? and seeing how half-heartedly MLSE got into it, if you were being interviewed (for a one year contract) what would you say to get the job?

And on the other side of the table, what would you want the candidate to say in order to hire him?

If there was a "five year plan," how come no one got a "five year contract?"

Still, this team should have made the playoffs last year. there were two terrible coaching choices (again, though, we don't know what kind of contracts would have been approved at the time - what length and for how much - that would affect who would be available). I never got the feeling that Carver or Cummins could name all the other teams in the league.

ag futbol
02-09-2010, 03:33 PM
;882881']
Maybe Paul James can be Toronto FC's Lenarduzzi!:D
Maybe TFC's Fernando Clavijo. Guy is as old school and backwards as they come.

I am by no means a defender of Mo Johnston, but if the alternative is Paul James, why don't we just all put arsenic in our beers first game of the season and save ourselves the trouble?

My guess is that may have been sarcasm on his part.

Paul James is as exciting as watching paint dry.
And there are times where he rambles way too much on a single topic.
As an on air personality i can see why he was let go.

As for who's side I'm on. I choose no one.
Thank you, the guy was about as personable as a tax collector. His superiority complex, didn't really come of well when you considering his actual track record.

jabbronies
02-09-2010, 03:40 PM
I realize we're just joking around here, but there's a big difference between a "five year plan," and "it'll take five years to be competitive."

Looking at how the team started - the turf, the roster requirements, did they even have a training room? and seeing how half-heartedly MLSE got into it, if you were being interviewed (for a one year contract) what would you say to get the job?

And on the other side of the table, what would you want the candidate to say in order to hire him?

If there was a "five year plan," how come no one got a "five year contract?"

Still, this team should have made the playoffs last year. there were two terrible coaching choices (again, though, we don't know what kind of contracts would have been approved at the time - what length and for how much - that would affect who would be available). I never got the feeling that Carver or Cummins could name all the other teams in the league.

Coaching choices were Mo's doing. Barrett has a 5 year contract. I'm not saying blame Mo for everything that has gone wrong. But really. What's been his plan?

Was he building around Brennan, Robinson and Wynne? Cos they have been here for the longest time. Not a great core IMO mainly because two of them are old and one has no skill on the ball!

It only seems like last season he smartened up and got a plan together either by fluke or managment skill, I don't know.
It was only when he picked up Cronin, White and Frei, did it look like he was actually building a proper team. Add Dero and Deguzman and Atikora and you have a solid core. No defence, but a good mid.

But now he adds Garcia and looses Serioux, rumours about using Frei as trade bait and loosing Dero, feels like we are on the verge of rebuilding again.

rocker
02-09-2010, 03:55 PM
My sense is that MLSE thought TFC would do decently in terms of ticket sales, but that they didn't want to invest too much at the beginning just in case it wasn't that successful.... hedging their bets.

Remember, MLS was a totally different beast in 2006 when Mojo was hired. No buzz in the league.. a few years since contraction.. etc.

So they had Mo do everything, including coaching. (pay 1 guy to do 2 jobs). I'm guessing here, but they probably figured "hey, it's expansion.. nobody expects expansion success, and people won't be watching that closely yet... we'll ramp things up as the years progress." Of course, TFC received great support and attention immediately so suddenly the scrutiny was higher.

If TFC had only 14000 attendance in year 1 (the predicted attendance in the financial plans for BMO Field), then nobody would have scrutinized Mo and the staff as closely as they have.

Of course, thanks to the help of TFC in bringing life to the league, other expansion teams have placed more resources into the team up front it seems to me (although I guess Philly is the same -- GM and coach are the same guy).

To stay on thread.. Paul James was best when he had Brian Budd alongside side him... to give some life to the room. But otherwise I always found him to be sad... negative... annoyed.

greatwhitenorf
02-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Being bright, thoughtful and accomplished - even telegenic - doesn't necesarily make for a great television presence.

Loud, cocky, and boorish, Brian Budd still made for compelling viewing.

Best thing Paul can do these days is make good observations about TFC and leave the personal stuff out of it. He's a bright guy and the Globe is a good platform for him. The way MLSE run things, he probably won't have to wait long to find a shot worth taking.

jazzy
02-09-2010, 08:02 PM
+ It's a power thing , they are overpaid for what they do, they know it, and are desparate, to keep in the gravy train and their decisions reflect that. It is not what in the long run is good for the team , more like what is good for them, I'm sure sometimes in a mean spirited way.....now who at MLSE is this exactly, I can't sat fairly who that is but being a faceless corp you know their are a few.

trane
02-09-2010, 10:27 PM

I was joking, I thought the time for judging was right of the bat. We have had many of the same issues since year one. We will see if they shall be addressed.

DichioTFC
02-09-2010, 11:22 PM
;882881'] It was the same week he said on the show that Mo Johnston needed to be realistic about scouting the talent in the Canadian system and compensating teams in the CSL for taking their players when TFC was holding open tryouts for young players.

Not really too knowledgeable on the topic to make an informed opinion, but compensating CSL teams seems a little rich in my opinion.

If someone playing on Trois-Rivieres or Brampton gains promotion to TFC, wouldn't that be a huge selling point for the original team? The CSL team could promote it to reflect the depth of their talent and that their team is getting MLS attention ("stars of the future"). This angle would help the CSL teams with recruiting new players and gaining more local interest in terms of sponsorships, attendance, etc.

Interesting opinion, but hard-working Canadian players should not be pawns in a territorial power struggle. If we can get some local guys onto TFC, why would anyone be against that?

[NBF]
02-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Not really too knowledgeable on the topic to make an informed opinion, but compensating CSL teams seems a little rich in my opinion.

If someone playing on Trois-Rivieres or Brampton gains promotion to TFC, wouldn't that be a huge selling point for the original team? The CSL team could promote it to reflect the depth of their talent and that their team is getting MLS attention ("stars of the future"). This angle would help the CSL teams with recruiting new players and gaining more local interest in terms of sponsorships, attendance, etc.

Interesting opinion, but hard-working Canadian players should not be pawns in a territorial power struggle. If we can get some local guys onto TFC, why would anyone be against that?

Exactly what the argument was, TFC was holding open tryouts for everyone, including players on CSL rosters. The CSL wanted to be compensated for players attending or being on trial with TFC and Mo said "No", because the CSL teams were getting free advertising for kids to join the CSL teams and that would help in recruitment. In other words, Mo was voyeuring and the teams said you have to pay to see the talent. This was in early 2008, if you watched the the footy show way back when:D

mlsintoronto
02-12-2010, 05:58 PM
+ It's a power thing , they are overpaid for what they do, they know it, and are desparate, to keep in the gravy train and their decisions reflect that. It is not what in the long run is good for the team , more like what is good for them, I'm sure sometimes in a mean spirited way.....now who at MLSE is this exactly, I can't sat fairly who that is but being a faceless corp you know their are a few.

are you looking at me? grrrrrrr

Parkdale
02-12-2010, 06:04 PM
are you looking at me? grrrrrrr

It's a long weekend. I can think of other places to be that might be more comfortable than this thread.

Ps. Winning fixes everything.

DichioTFC
02-16-2010, 05:59 AM
;884085']Exactly what the argument was, TFC was holding open tryouts for everyone, including players on CSL rosters. The CSL wanted to be compensated for players attending or being on trial with TFC and Mo said "No", because the CSL teams were getting free advertising for kids to join the CSL teams and that would help in recruitment. In other words, Mo was voyeuring and the teams said you have to pay to see the talent. This was in early 2008, if you watched the the footy show way back when:D

Mo seems like the type that would go to a strip club and not pay the rippers, eh?

Shakes McQueen
02-16-2010, 07:12 AM

What a load of bullshit.

- Scott

stugautz
02-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Matt Millen had the stache. Maybe if Mo grew one, we'd make the playoffs!

fetajr
02-17-2010, 11:05 AM
i hate mo too, i'm with James

Davenport
02-25-2010, 09:13 AM
James knows his footy......

Johnston doesn't.......

[NBF]
03-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Serioux to Houston for a 3rd round pick:cool:

Robinson to NYRB for a 4th round pick:drinking:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/stomperrob/MattMillen.jpg

koryo
03-14-2010, 06:28 PM
If Paul James hates Mo, then he should get in line.

Roogsy
03-16-2010, 09:52 AM
“If you want to blame somebody for the way we’re playing, blame me,” Colangelo said late Monday afternoon.“I’m the guy ultimately responsible,” he said.Regardless if you think Colangelo has done a good job with the Raps, at least he stands up and makes himself heard. He's out there, facing the cameras, taking the heat and yet urging the players to dig themselves out.

Mo isn't half the man Colangelo is. He has no character, no strength, no decency.

I can't stand that my team has Mo at the top. It makes me sick. We need a true leader.

nobodybeatsthewiz
03-16-2010, 02:10 PM
^ i love colangelo, roogsy. every single interview that guy gives, the audience and interviewer(s) actually learn something or are disclosed something they didnt previously know. he lays it on the table, and is very intelligent along the way.

Roogsy
03-16-2010, 02:13 PM
I wish we had Colangelo when Carter blackmailed his way out of town. We would have gotten more than we did. Babcock was a pussy who screwed the Raps for years to come. Colangelo has been undoing the damage and I have confidence in the long-term health of the team.

I have ZERO confidence in Mo. I have never seen such ineptitude. I've fired people for less.

reggie
03-16-2010, 02:51 PM
i have to say that MOstake by the lake is brutal,but what about the smuck that hired him(whatever the fuck his name is)and he resigned him....wtf