PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Legislative Council Passes New Rule on Amateurism and Academies

Shway
02-08-2010, 02:59 PM
http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/AMA/legislative_council/Jan%2010/Attachment%20A.pdf

In sports other than men's ice hockey and skiing, to specify that prior to initial full-time collegiate enrollment, an individual may enter into an agreement to compete on a professional team and compete on a professional team, provided the agreement does not guarantee or promise payment (at any time) in excess of actual and necessary expenses to participate on the team;

NCAA (http://soccernews.bigsoccer.com/topic/National_Collegiate_Athletic_Association) rules are byzantine and very hard to wrap one's head around sometimes, but according to everything I've read, the rule currently is that if one pro player was in an academy, everybody who played with him was ineligible for college, not just that player.

But the new rule the Council has adopted (late January) and that should take effect* starting with kids who enroll in the fall of 2010, is that only the players who made money are ineligible, and the rest will still be considered amateurs.

This could mean a whole bunch of things for soccer, almost all of them, from my point of view, good:
- An Academy player can possibly play in a match game for the frist team, without pay.
- An influx of foreign academy products in the NCAA, raising the level of play.
- A player could get signed by MLS (or, for that matter, an independent youth academy could sign one) and kept on a youth team without endangering his teammates' college eligibility.
- A PDL team could field a mixed roster of pros and college players. (Or a USL team, or technically even MLS, but I would bet the players union might have a problem or two with teams saving money by using unpaid labor.)

* - Now, this rule, from what I'm reading (my source for interpretation is here (http://www.kaburakis.com/2010/01/19/amateurism-policy-news-and-props/)) isn't quite a done deal yet. There is an override possibility until March 17 (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/legislation+and+governance/rules+and+bylaws/legislative+actions+and+issues/division+i/override+period+for+legislative+actions). It would take 30 member schools to send it back for review, and if they still want it, it would be voted on at the next Convention.

So it's not quite all done yet, but it looks like this rule is indeed likely to go into effect, and it could herald distinct improvements to both NCAA soccer and MLS academies.

THE LEAGUE IS IMPROVING, AND ITS STARTING FROM THE GRASSROOTS

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-08-2010, 03:13 PM
I've been keeping a eye on this too, TFC could play some of their younger roster players on the CSL academy team on occasion.

I'm glad the NCAA is making an exception for skiing, wouldn't want to mess with the great sport that is college skiing.

Shway
02-08-2010, 03:26 PM
I've been keeping a eye on this too, TFC could play some of their younger roster players on the CSL academy team on occasion.

Never thought about it this way, but yes very true
Gala, Herold, Ibbe has a place to play:rolleyes:, and Chad can play a few games here aswell before coming back from injury

I'm glad the NCAA is making an exception for skiing, wouldn't want to mess with the great sport that is college skiing.

ROFL:rofl:

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately, it won't come into effect until August 1st. A few younger roster player on the academy team late in the year would work out nicely though, as a lot of the U18s leave for college right in the midst of the CSL playoffs. TFCA had to play a number of their U16 players against the Serbian White Eagles and were physically badly mismatched.

Detroit_TFC
02-08-2010, 03:35 PM
So maybe somebody goes through a Prem team academy starting at age 14 or 16, maybe plays some reserve team matches but doesn't catch on by age 20 or so - they could come to the US and go to school and play, if they didn't want to go into (or couldn't get into) the lower leagues. That could be pretty cool, and might feed some of that talent into MLS.

ag futbol
02-08-2010, 03:42 PM
College soccer is a necessary evil as of right now, but going forward i'd prefer full academy or bust.

NCAA doesn't even honor the traditional rules of the game. There are unlimited substitutions with a few exceptions. And the talent is very diluted across the whole system.

Shway
02-08-2010, 03:44 PM
So maybe somebody goes through a Prem team academy starting at age 14 or 16, maybe plays some reserve team matches but doesn't catch on by age 20 or so - they could come to the US and go to school and play, if they didn't want to go into (or couldn't get into) the lower leagues. That could be pretty cool, and might feed some of that talent into MLS.

Or they could skip the draft like several players have been doing :rolleyes:

[NBF]
02-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Who gives a Shit!

NCAA, does not have any control over what happens in Canada. If there's players from Canada playing in the NCAA system thats different, but our major concern should be the CIAU system.

What this new legislation in the NCAA is doing is making it possible for more Canadians to leave the CIAU system in favor of the NCAA.

What the teams in the CSL need from the CIAU is for players to be able to persue an education in Canada and/or be eligible to receive scholarships to achieve their degree of choice. So that the league can be a step towards playing in University or College. Sort of like an academy for the CIAU, which in turn the CIAU becomes an academy for the MLS teams.

It almost seems like the rule against former professional players is their only to stop people from attaining an education.

In my opinion Canada should have an Under-20 league similar to the Italian system.

:canada:Canada First!:canada:

Shway
02-08-2010, 06:36 PM
THAT POST HAD NO PURPOSE

So allow me to break it down very nicely for you.

;882242']

NCAA, does not have any control over what happens in Canada. If there's players from Canada playing in the NCAA system thats different, but our major concern should be the CIAU system.

You are correct, NCCA does not have any control over the CIAU. However Mr. Intellect, I think you lost sight of what is being addressed in this "new legislation". You can start another thread stating the CIAU system needs to improve, because our Major concern is TFC, hence the thread that this was conceived in.

What this new legislation in the NCAA is doing is making it possible for more Canadians to leave the CIAU system in favor of the NCAA.

Your about how many years late, even before this new legislation Canadian atlethes first priorities were to attain a scholarship in the USA, due to the fact that the potential of playing professional in the NBA, NFL, MLB, and now MLS is 100% more likely, than (even if you were to receive a scholarship from a Canadian university) staying in Canada.
Also there are few, and i mean very few stories that you hear that a CIAU player has left to go to the NCAA. (Kyle Hall)

What the teams in the CSL need from the CIAU is for players to be able to persue an education in Canada and/or be eligible to receive scholarships to achieve their degree of choice. So that the league can be a step towards playing in University or College. Sort of like an academy for the CIAU, which in turn the CIAU becomes an academy for the MLS teams.

Now, Im saying I dont think you really even read the information regarding this legislation. You must of read the title, and wrote your post.
However I will kindly break it down for you:

NCAA is passing the rule for amatuers to play with professionals(meaning that a Toronto FC academy product or even a First team player, can play with the first team or vice versa, and players will not be jeopardized "if they dont receive pay" ) i.e. TFC had Frei injured, and had no back up goalie, so they had to get a "rent-a-keep". With this new legislation, they could possibly put an academy GK on the substitues bench.

The superdraft consists of drafting players from the NCAA, which is the draft that Toronto FC takes part in, if you didnt know. So thats why this gives a shit.

When players are returning from injury, or havent played a match game in long time, (i.e. Gala, Ibrahim, Sanyang, Gomez) they can be playing with the team in the CSL, without jeopardizing any academy players NCAA eligibility status. Speaking from the aspect that TFC has had a large number of Academy products move to NCAA schools

It almost seems like the rule against former professional players is their only to stop people from attaining an education.

In my opinion Canada should have an Under-20 league similar to the Italian system.

Your rant seems to be directed at the CIAU, so in retrospect to that, you are in the wrong thread. Because how can Canada have an Under 20 league with 3 professional teams :rolleyes:
and, you shouldve put IMO in the same font as the "who gives a shit" because now it doesnt look good on you.

keem-o-sabi
02-09-2010, 07:56 AM
;882242']Who gives a Shit!

:canada:Canada First!:canada:

Well when Canada can sustain it's own leagues in any sport at a higher level then we can say that. Hell the NHL isn't even a Canadian league, how do we expect Canada to have a national soccer league of our own.

DigzTFC!
02-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Hi Jahinho,

I've got a question about scholarships.

Could an semi-pro or amateur team pay a player through a scholarship fund without that person losing eligibility? Say a player is paid $15K scholarship for every year he/she plays with the team. Is that against the rules?

T_Mizz
02-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Just to add a little something here, let's not lose focus of why 9/10 kids go to school on an athletic scholarship, to get an education. Canada (or maybe just Ontario) has just recently started allowing athletic scholarships and their not even close to free rides, they're like 2000.

Shway
02-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Hi Jahinho,

I've got a question about scholarships.

Could an semi-pro or amateur team pay a player through a scholarship fund without that person losing eligibility? Say a player is paid $15K scholarship for every year he/she plays with the team. Is that against the rules?

no, because thats basically what USA academy teams do,
and what NTCO (national training camp ontario) would do in regards to that they would pay for half or full.

And TMiz, a full scholarship 2000 is equivalent to half. Canadian tuition depending on the course isnt that high. So 2000 could pay for half or even three quarters of it.

DigzTFC!
02-10-2010, 09:27 PM
So you're telling me that you can give out scholarships to players as compensation for their play.

I'm confused why this isn't used more to motivate players.

Do you have any links/documents stating that is the case?

Shway
02-10-2010, 11:54 PM
So you're telling me that you can give out scholarships to players as compensation for their play.

I'm confused why this isn't used more to motivate players.

Do you have any links/documents stating that is the case?

I dont know if you can use it in the term that exact way that your saying it.

And how much money do you think teams have to give as scholarship compensation to several players?

keem-o-sabi
02-11-2010, 07:31 AM
No that player would lose eligibility.

What I've always thought should happen is that players have their school paid for by their team and go to school. They don't need college level soccer to compete if they are training day in and day out with their pro team (whether it be Usl2, USSF D2, or MLS). Generation Adidas sort of does this from my understanding the guys can still finish their degree's as almost all GA are underclassmen. I could be wrong on that part though.

The college season is short. Sorry I'm a yank, so College is the same as University here. I've always thought they should split it out over spring and fall, play 10 in the fall, 10 in the spring with the finals then. It's very difficult to play 18 games in 2.5 months.

T_Mizz
02-14-2010, 11:33 AM
And TMiz, a full scholarship 2000 is equivalent to half. Canadian tuition depending on the course isnt that high. So 2000 could pay for half or even three quarters of it.
Yeah that's not shabby I would kill for that but in contrast to the states where they hand out full scholarships like halloween candy, its not enough.

keem-o-sabi
02-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Yeah that's not shabby I would kill for that but in contrast to the states where they hand out full scholarships like halloween candy, its not enough.

no they don't. They only have 9.9 scholarships at fully funded schools and there aren't a lot of fully funded schools.

CoachGT
02-16-2010, 08:20 AM
This will have significant implications to many Canadian sports. The target for many young players, many of whom do not expect to ever turn pro, is to get a scholarship. This may allow some players to complete at higher levels in their chosen sport and cannot do anything but help development of stronger players. However, it may have an impact on lower leagues that will be unable to retain their top talent.

The next 12 months could be very interesting for Canadian amateur sport.

NF-FC
02-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Pros for NCCA soccer:

-Entry into MLS draft
-Education at an overrated institute (oh ya? well I went to "fill in the blank" state!)

Cons for NCCA soccer:

-The level of play is too low, you're development is years behind that of a player coming up through a true academy setup.
-The scholarships are mostly partial, so you could still wind up being on the hook for more money than a full price Canadian education
-Only a hand-full of drafted players actually make MLS every year

Why NCCA is the choice of Major League Soccer:

-It doesn't cost them a cent

T_Mizz
02-17-2010, 12:11 AM
no they don't. They only have 9.9 scholarships at fully funded schools and there aren't a lot of fully funded schools.
I don't know how halloween goes in your neighbourhood but I only give out candy to the 10 best costumes, isn't that how everyone does it?