PDA

View Full Version : 7pm starts vs. 3:30pm kickoff

canadian_bhoy
06-15-2008, 09:00 PM
What do you guy think?
I know the "traditional" kick off is 3:30, but not everywhere (spain has evening kickoffs).

I thought last night was a MUCH better time, throughly enjoyable.

1. The play was fast because it wasn't too hot
2. You had the whole day to do whatever you wanted, then go enjoy the match at night
3. More fun to kickoff the night at the pub at 9 rather than 5
4. 3 wicked goals didn't hurt.

What do you think?

brad
06-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Agree - much preferred the evening kick off.

Nodoubtguy
06-15-2008, 09:02 PM
it was nice, sleep in, great tailgate time, not hot, and then still have your night to go out....

James Oliphant
06-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Been saying it since before the start of last year....MORE NIGHT GAMES.

TorontoFC_Matt
06-15-2008, 09:04 PM
I agree, and for us who work in the service industry, the night kickoff is much better. My restaurant is the opposite where we are closed/slow during the evenings.

I just think there is a good atmosphere, and I prefer having some time during the day to get ready to go wild come game time.

TheHollister
06-15-2008, 09:06 PM
I prefer evening games, mostly because of the scheduling conflicts that afternoon games give me. I also like them because of the drop in temperature.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-15-2008, 09:08 PM
we are the only team in MLS that play in the mid afternoon..!!! Get it changed!

egoodwin
06-15-2008, 09:11 PM
7/7:30 you can do whatever you want, but noon or 3:30 kickoffs, really that is the entire day gone right there

not to mention the feeling of watching a game under the bright lights especially later in the season when it gets darker earlier...

Also there's a chance of foggy night games like that classic against NY last year

Nuvinho
06-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Don't mind the early start games in April and May, but in June to September, the late kickoffs would be great.

GeorgeB
06-15-2008, 09:12 PM
we have quite a few night games next month. :)

GuelphStorm2007
06-15-2008, 09:20 PM
I prefer 7;30pm start times, The temprature is a bit cooler, also you have the whole day to do whatever you want to do. I hope they will put more evening stars in the future.

rocker
06-15-2008, 09:27 PM
ya night games have a better atmosphere.
I do agree about the way the 3:30 games sorta screw with your weekend days. You can't really do much during the day since you gotta make your way downtown, and then when it's over it's still kinda early for the late night partying.
12:30 starts were the worst tho. I was barely awake.

Dirk Diggler
06-15-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm completely for night games. It is great because I don't have to wake up early on Saturdays and I don't have to rush to make it to the game as soon as I wake up. During the day, you can do all the stuff that you need to do and when its time to leave for the game, you can stay out all night long afterwards without having to worry about anything else. Mid day games are troublesome because you're always worrying about one chore or another that you have to do once you get home.

In addition, from the player's standpoint, the least MLS could do to help them against the brutal summer is arrange the games at night. I don't think too many people on the planet like to play football under the burning hot sun in the middle of the summer.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-15-2008, 09:32 PM
3:30 Kos are best, easier to get home from,whithout the headaches of the nightgames.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-15-2008, 09:32 PM
we are the only team in MLS that play in the mid afternoon..!!! Get it changed!

NO!!!

Cas87
06-15-2008, 09:41 PM
I say evening games all the time, unless it a long weekend/holiday, or the home game is on the same time as the CNE

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-15-2008, 09:46 PM
I say evening games all the time, unless it a long weekend/holiday, or the home game is on the same time as the CNE

nuts to that idea too, thats worse then the original..1-2 nights games a season is more then enough. Football was meant to be played in the day..keep that way.

rocker
06-15-2008, 09:49 PM
95% of people disagree with you tho according to this poll ;)

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-15-2008, 09:51 PM
95% of people disagree with you tho according to this poll ;)

well it was 99% the move is on!!!;)

LucaGol
06-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Night games should be reserved for CCL games....to give them more of a special atmosphere.

If I were Don Garber, I'd have everyone in MLS play at say...4pm on Saturday....and the game of the week can be at 8pm on ESPN (of course also on Saturday).

This is what they do everywhere else in the world...why not here....who the hell knows....

Every one on even games, everyone on even playing time. Done. Simple. No games in hand, no backhanded advantages...just the basics.

RPLProducer
06-15-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm for anything that will give me more time to drink before the game!

nascarguy
06-16-2008, 12:47 AM
the games that start before 3:30pm have a game after the main game

nascarguy
06-16-2008, 12:48 AM
I prefer 7;30pm start times, The temprature is a bit cooler, also you have the whole day to do whatever you want to do. I hope they will put more evening stars in the future.
:red:

Cashcleaner
06-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Evening games are by far the best I've experienced. Like the OP and others mentioned, you've got cooler weather and that translates to more activity on the pitch. The overall atmosphere is better as well because we end up with more energy too. The only thing I think would be better is a kick-off at 6:30 which would give people a better chance at catching the trains after.

werewolf
06-16-2008, 01:03 AM
I prefer night games, better overall. The only complaint I had, the sun was brutal at one point, setting right in line to where 112 was facing. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to stand in the shade like the Cash man. :lol:

Its not the biggest of deals, better then being sun burnt the next day.

bignickel
06-16-2008, 03:34 AM
nuts to that idea too, thats worse then the original..1-2 nights games a season is more then enough. Football was meant to be played in the day..keep that way.

the whole of euro 2008 is being played at night. i guess someone didn't get that memo!

redcard
06-16-2008, 07:20 AM
the night game rules those 330 starts hands down...cooler temps for the players and cooler in the stands...

maybe in the beginning of the season ie the cooler months they could the noon starts but after that make it 7-730.

flatpicker
06-16-2008, 07:37 AM
the only downside to the night games is that it isn't nighttime until the 80th minute.
The sun was in full force the other day and beamed off the pitch with insane power.
Thank God I had a ball cap because sunglasses were not that effective against the sun's power.
Later in the year it's great because the days are shorter,
But the East stands got pummeled last Saturday.

Oldtimer
06-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Night games, except in Spring or fall when it is too cold and a day game is much better.

However, TV needs will probably be the #1 determinant of start times.

KdotOdot
06-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Weekend games should be in the afternoon. Less part timers. Trust this.

flatpicker
06-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Night games, except in Spring or fall when it is too cold and a day game is much better.

Spring and Autumn is my favourite time of year for night games.
The sun goes down sooner and there is a nice crisp breeze in the air.

I love it!

akoto
06-16-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm pretty sure that the CBC has a major say in what the start times are on Saturdays. Also TFC tends to be scheduled around any other major event that might be happening on the CBC (ie Horse Jumping or Hockey). I too would like to see more night games. I work weekends and have to do a lot of shift switches to make it to the afternoon games but I don't think it will change. CBC gets what CBC wants.

Fort York Redcoat
06-16-2008, 08:31 AM
It's tradition for a reason. It makes sense. Save the evening games for mid week. Saturday's at 7 are for another sport around here.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-16-2008, 10:39 AM
the games that start before 3:30pm have a game after the main game

there is No reserves games at BMO after the first team till August:mad: so a
4pm ko would not be bad.

Toronto_Bhoy
06-16-2008, 12:01 PM
I loved Saturday…

Wooden Sticks in the morning…back to the CSC for a couple of pints…down to the game…a terrific victory…Shoeless afterwards…

Doesn't get any better than that…

Pinkie
06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
i like the evening games a lot...especially with the euros happening AT THE SAME TIME...
also in july and august it is DISGUSTINGLY HOT

Suds
06-16-2008, 12:47 PM
I enjoyed the night game this past weekend. Having time to get crap done on the Saturday is great so my girlfriend doesn't give me shit for being hung-over on the couch all day Sunday doing nothing:drunk:

AL-MO
06-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Both are better than 12:30PM start!

I like a nice mix of night and day games. I like both for different reasons. And I really liked the atmosphere on Saturday.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-16-2008, 12:51 PM
I remember back before the first season...TFC had a poll asking all Supporters..what time would you prefer to have TFC games?.....The poll finsihed highly in favour of 3:30 STARTS!

Mabey they should have another poll for next season! :)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Both are better than 12:30PM start!

I like a nice mix of night and day games. I like both for different reasons. And I really liked the atmosphere on Saturday.

NOthing worst then sitting there in the high 30's watching footy!!...Im sure if the players had a say..they would also prefer the 7 pm starts..

If you look at the MLS Shedule League wide...the majority of MLS teams play there games at NIGHT!

Jarrek
06-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Love the late starts.

7 or 7:30 all the way!!!

AL-MO
06-16-2008, 02:20 PM
NOthing worst then sitting there in the high 30's watching footy!!...Im sure if the players had a say..they would also prefer the 7 pm starts..

If you look at the MLS Shedule League wide...the majority of MLS teams play there games at NIGHT!

Bothing BETTER than being at BMO on a beautiful Saturday afternoon with not a cloud in the sky! :P

Carts
06-16-2008, 02:29 PM
In the east stand, 100 degree heat and high sun is better than Saturday night...

At this time of year, the sun was perfectly placed as it was setting to beam right into our eyes - it was honestly tough to watch when the ball went into the air...

I like having a few night games... They're a novelty, and something different... If we had all night games, and only a few afternoon ones, we'd start to find the afternoon ones as special...

Keep the mix...

There will always be differing opinions on who likes what - as part of it is how it fits into each of our lifestyles...

I do agree with more night games in the hot summer months, as a way to play under more suitable conditions...

Carts...

footyfan
06-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Night games should be reserved for CCL games....to give them more of a special atmosphere.

If I were Don Garber, I'd have everyone in MLS play at say...4pm on Saturday....and the game of the week can be at 8pm on ESPN (of course also on Saturday).

This is what they do everywhere else in the world...why not here....who the hell knows....

Every one on even games, everyone on even playing time. Done. Simple. No games in hand, no backhanded advantages...just the basics.

Historical perspective: They did this for 10 years.

Try googling "MLS Soccer Saturday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Soccer_Saturday)".

They used to do this but saturday afternoon games sucked:

1. poor/slow play due to heat
2. poor attendance due to sun/heat
3. bad time to kick off for TV

Players hated them, fans hated them, networks hated them. So bye bye.

I'm glad those Saturday afternoon games are gone.

Steve
06-16-2008, 05:19 PM
In the east stand, 100 degree heat and high sun is better than Saturday night...

At this time of year, the sun was perfectly placed as it was setting to beam right into our eyes - it was honestly tough to watch when the ball went into the air...

I like having a few night games... They're a novelty, and something different... If we had all night games, and only a few afternoon ones, we'd start to find the afternoon ones as special...

Keep the mix...

There will always be differing opinions on who likes what - as part of it is how it fits into each of our lifestyles...

I do agree with more night games in the hot summer months, as a way to play under more suitable conditions...

Carts...

And as someone sitting on the west stand, I say, night games all the way! We get some nice shade, still pleasant to sit out in, and is generally more comfortable to watch a match. Plus, I think the games are better as players don't have to play in the mid aft heat.

etro
06-16-2008, 10:15 PM
7-7:30 because I can actually attend those games (assuming there's no shitstorm at work during the day)

MG42
06-16-2008, 10:18 PM
I had the sun seering my eyeballs until the 75th min...330 gets my vote

themodelcitizen
06-16-2008, 10:52 PM

you know the league will have an odd number of teams again next year right?

LucaGol
06-17-2008, 11:28 AM
you know the league will have an odd number of teams again next year right?

Odd numbers of teams is one thing....some teams on 13 games while others on 11 is completely stupid. And that's this season when there's an even number of teams.

Stencils
06-17-2008, 11:38 AM
I prefer evening games, mostly because of the scheduling conflicts that afternoon games give me. I also like them because of the drop in temperature.

I'm biased towards evening games for the same reason - scheduling conflicts. Evening game just allows me to do more with my day (not that spending a whole day on TFC isn't a-okay with me!)

Fort York Redcoat
06-17-2008, 11:39 AM
So are we saying that TFC should go up against HNIC 4 months out of the year? I hate the heat but I need more colour anyway-3:30 Sat.

brando
06-17-2008, 11:49 AM

Huh?
Nothing worse?
How about no football?

We should all get over it and just go whenever we have the chance to watch some local footy. I think most of us forget that we didn't have jack squat a couple of years ago, and tend to whine about things that are really trivial.

I'll be there no matter what time they start. I prefer to watch TFC. Rain or shine, day or night, win or lose. Please don't forget this.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Love the late starts.

7 or 7:30 all the way!!!

i can go for the 7pm starts...thats good but no later...still prefer the 3:30 games get to soak in the heat...when we do get it....its as rare as a leafs win.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Huh?
Nothing worse?
How about no football?

We should all get over it and just go whenever we have the chance to watch some local footy. I think most of us forget that we didn't have jack squat a couple of years ago, and tend to whine about things that are really trivial.

I'll be there no matter what time they start. I prefer to watch TFC. Rain or shine, day or night, win or lose. Please don't forget this.

good points but when you have to rely on go transit and greyhound the start times do make a difference for leaving, i hate to leave a match when
it is still going on, thats a bugger, but better then missing bus connections home.....how about 6pm starts anyone good on that?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Huh?
Nothing worse?
How about no football?

Its a thread on preferring to watch the reds at a certin time....ding dong!...Of course we'll show up regardless....but if i had a preffernce..it would be night games!

brando
06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Its a thread on preferring to watch the reds at a certin time....ding dong!...Of course we'll show up regardless....but if i had a preffernce..it would be night games!

Ohhhhh. I get it now.

I was just commenting on all the bloody whining.
The thread itself is simply complaining for the sake of complaining. There are plenty of really pertinent discussions going on around this board, IMHO this is not one of them and is a little too self indulgent.

My opinion, and just that.

adampz
06-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I think this has all started since the rapids game had a great atmosphere, I agree we should have more night games in the summer, cooler temperatures:) I think a big part of it, is also how long tfc has been away from bmo too. The longer tfc is on the road, the more everybody is dying for a footy game.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-17-2008, 04:44 PM
I think this has all started since the rapids game had a great atmosphere, I agree we should have more night games in the summer, cooler temperatures:) I think a big part of it, is also how long tfc has been away from bmo too. The longer tfc is on the road, the more everybody is dying for a footy game.

that why they should get the academy games at BMO, lets get as much footie there as possible...

james
06-17-2008, 10:04 PM
i like day games to, but......i do agree they should have more night games, maybe split it half and half!