PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,Feb.08

denime
02-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Mornin'

TFC heads south with big changes on its mind (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/02/08/12785446-sun.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

[NBF]
02-08-2010, 06:54 AM
SSG: Now thats the kind of talent TFC needs:)

TFC Heads South with Big Chages In Mind: Hopefully we dont trade Frei considering he was decent last season. Edwards is a good backup but I think I would prefer having Adam Street.

scooter
02-08-2010, 08:17 AM
mornin d

flatpicker
02-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Holy Crap!

That SSG is smokin' hot!
I think I'm in love!

Oldtimer
02-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Not TFC news, but pretty interesting:

1930 World Cup legend turns 100
Former Argentinean footballer Francisco Varallo, only survivor of the first World Cup final in history celebrated his 100th birthday last Friday. "Pancho" Varallo was Argentina’s youngest player in their 4-2 defeat to Uruguay at the Centenario stadium of Montevideo in 1930. He played for La Plata, Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata and finally Boca Juniors, the team in which he retired in 1939 after winning three championship titles. His scoring record of 181 goals for Boca, was only broken in 2008 by Martin Palermo.

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=32981

Roogsy
02-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Not TFC news, but pretty interesting:

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=32981

That's pretty wild...I didnt realize there still was a player alive from the first World Cup, and one so accomplished!

Roogsy
02-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Today's SSG, :eek:

Holy mother...

keem-o-sabi
02-08-2010, 09:33 AM
SSG is nice!

Coed Girls 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/02/07/miss-coed-deanna-smith/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/02/04/alice-goodwin-is-today%E2%80%99s-daily-snapshot/)

spark
02-08-2010, 09:36 AM
For those with CMNT interests, OBW answers that Canada is definitely an option and he's weighing out his future with input from his agent.

INTERVIEW WITH O'BRIAN WHITE (http://www.rednationonline.ca/Rednation_Speaks_with_OBrian_White_feb_8_10_featur e.shtml)

James17930
02-08-2010, 09:54 AM
^How quintessentially Canadian.

flatpicker
02-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Why does the SUN us such low res photos for the SSG??!
Not fair... especially today!

rocker
02-08-2010, 10:33 AM
ok, I don't want to nail Wheeler again (too easy.. like picking on a little kid)...

but he mentions TFC may lose an INT roster spot with the new CBA. Again, no source of this statement, just "the suggestion."

Unless the players have made new ground, I'm not sure I believe that the CBA would contain anything about roster makeup at all. Remember that the last CBA said players did not have the right to have a say in "roster composition ... whether domestic or international." (Same with the salary cap -- in the previous deals the cap maximum was NOT a part of negotiation.)

So either Wheeler is talking out of his ass OR he knows something about the negotiations, something that is radically new compared to the old CBA.. and in that case he doesn't realize the significance of this point and has relegated the notion to the absolute bottom of an article on another subject. If there's something in the CBA relating to TFC's roster composition this would be a HUGE STORY. MLS has always reserved the right to mess around with roster composition as the see fit (they did not ask the union about the DP situation, after all). It would mean the players have negotiated the great power to influence the roster makeup of teams and that suddenly they've decided TFC shouldn't have an extra INT spot! ;)

arbogast
02-08-2010, 11:05 AM
ok, I don't want to nail Wheeler again (too easy.. like picking on a little kid)...

but he mentions TFC may lose an INT roster spot with the new CBA. Again, no source of this statement, just "the suggestion."

Unless the players have made new ground, I'm not sure I believe that the CBA would contain anything about roster makeup at all. Remember that the last CBA said players did not have the right to have a say in "roster composition ... whether domestic or international." (Same with the salary cap -- in the previous deals the cap maximum was NOT a part of negotiation.)

So either Wheeler is talking out of his ass OR he knows something about the negotiations, something that is radically new compared to the old CBA.. and in that case he doesn't realize the significance of this point and has relegated the notion to the absolute bottom of an article on another subject. If there's something in the CBA relating to TFC's roster composition this would be a HUGE STORY. MLS has always reserved the right to mess around with roster composition as the see fit (they did not ask the union about the DP situation, after all). It would mean the players have negotiated the great power to influence the roster makeup of teams and that suddenly they've decided TFC shouldn't have an extra INT spot! ;)

Dude, Wheeler is a columnist and writes an opinion peice for the SUN, and another journalist, either Hornby or Koshan or another actual reporter are assigned to practices for the actual news. Since he's not a reporter, he doesn't have to attribute his statements.

Standup105
02-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Here's a blog story on our new crest above our old crest

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=7558

Wooster_TFC
02-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Or, he already knows that we dropped 3 from last year, and is just going to bank on that being the "one we lost"...

Whoop
02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
SSG - I know it's winter but what's with the pasty white girls lately?

billyfly
02-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Here's a blog story on our new crest above our old crest

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=7558

That's our best friend Bill Archer. You new here?

v00d00daddy
02-08-2010, 12:03 PM
That's our best friend Bill Archer. You new here?

I hate Archer but for once, I agree with him.

zeelaw
02-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Yo Bill Archer is a clown... Duane Rollins replied..

http://www.24thminute.com/

Oldtimer
02-08-2010, 12:56 PM

I wouldn't admit that in public. :hide:

Actually this is just another of his anti-Toronto rants. He'll take any angle, legit or not to crap on Toronto. Just because he might be 25% right on any angle doesn't mean we should give him any credit.

Best comment on that story:

But leaving that aside, if I understand your article well, your point is: Americans look up north, see a team placing a star above their crest for winning their national championship, witness its subsequent failure at the continental level, and laugh out loud at how bush-league the whole operation is.

Now, replace the underlined with "Mexicans" and...

:lol: a well-aimed diss at the Crew.

JonO
02-08-2010, 01:22 PM
agreed - and from the Duane Rollins article:"Archer, of course, fails to point out that the crest is only going to be worn during games in the tournament "

Shaughno
02-08-2010, 01:30 PM
agreed - and from the Duane Rollins article:"Archer, of course, fails to point out that the crest is only going to be worn during games in the tournament "

Because that would completely invalidate his story and thus, render him useless and be forced to concede back into his mom's basement.

Sonny Cheeba
02-08-2010, 01:33 PM
my ass she's 18.

Pigfynn
02-08-2010, 01:36 PM
^^Those SSGs always look wayyyyyyyyyyy older than they say they are.

jabbronies
02-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Because that would completely invalidate his story and thus, render him useless and be forced to concede back into his mom's basement.

I'm sorry, isn't he already useless?

Shaughno
02-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm sorry, isn't he already useless?

Always, but if he includes little tidbits like that... he even figures it out for himself. Hence why he leaves it out, so he feels like 'a somebody'. ;)

v00d00daddy
02-08-2010, 02:06 PM

That doesn't take away from the fact that it's pretty ridiculous that TFC is going to be wearing a star on their jersey when they've never won anything to warrant a participation ribbon, let alone a star.

I know, I know...the NCC...which is a 3 team tournament which we lost in the first year, and were gifted last year.

Not star worthy..in my opinion.

Archer just says as much...in a very douchey way.

Shaughno
02-08-2010, 02:16 PM
That doesn't take away from the fact that it's pretty ridiculous that TFC is going to be wearing a star on their jersey when they've never won anything to warrant a participation ribbon, let alone a star.

I know, I know...the NCC...which is a 3 team tournament which we lost in the first year, and were gifted last year.

Not star worthy..in my opinion.

Archer just says as much...in a very douchey way.

The only time it's going to be on the jersey is during the NCC tournament. Does winning the tournament not warrant wearing a jersey with a star on it in future years of the tournament? I mean, I wouldn't take anything away from Montreal if they decided to do the same.

Now, if we were to be wearing it in all competitions, I would agree with you.

v00d00daddy
02-08-2010, 02:21 PM
The only time it's going to be on the jersey is during the NCC tournament. Does winning the tournament not warrant wearing a jersey with a star on it in future years of the tournament? I mean, I wouldn't take anything away from Montreal if they decided to do the same.

It's just a matter of preference. I understand the reason for the star...I just don't agree with it.

I don't think the NCC is/was an accomplishment that warrants putting a star above the crest. That's all.

AL-MO
02-08-2010, 02:24 PM

Same. I haven't commented on the other thread, but it should be a badge on the sleeve for the winner. Not a star. Especially considering they haven't really opened up this competition beyond MLS and USL teams.

Shaughno
02-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Fair enough. I don't think it's necessary, but IMO it's not worth bitching over... from either side of the coin.

AL-MO
02-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Fair enough. I don't think it's necessary, but IMO it's not worth bitching over... from either side of the coin.

Not going to lose sleep over it, that's for sure!

drewski
02-08-2010, 02:37 PM
5 reasons why Toronto FC will make the playoffs in 2010 (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2010/02/5_reasons_why_toronto_fc_will.html)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2010/02/5_reasons_why_toronto_fc_will.html

boban
02-08-2010, 02:40 PM
5 reasons why Toronto FC will make the playoffs in 2010 (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2010/02/5_reasons_why_toronto_fc_will.html)

Meh .. big smoke and mirrors article.
Nothing of real substance, just a lot of wishful thinking.

Stryker
02-08-2010, 02:43 PM
I hate Archer to the point that I'd seriously consider punching him in the face if I ever saw him in person. Having said that, he's right.
Toronto FC putting a star on it's jersey for anything it's "accomplished" to this point is laughable and a complete embarrassment for the team, the national body who layed this steaming turd of an idea and lastly for every Canadian fan of the sport of socccer.

Wither they realize it or not.

ManUtd4ever
02-08-2010, 02:50 PM

I would love to share Nigel Reed's optimism and he does make some valid points, but they are based on his assumption that everything is going to fall into place. If JDG and White perform at the level he suggested than yes, TFC should make the playoffs...

TFC Tifoso
02-08-2010, 02:52 PM

Montreal did have them on their shirts last year.....

Beach_Red
02-08-2010, 02:56 PM
I hate Archer to the point that I'd seriously consider punching him in the face if I ever saw him in person. Having said that, he's right.
Toronto FC putting a star on it's jersey for anything it's "accomplished" to this point is laughable and a complete embarrassment for the team, the national body who layed this steaming turd of an idea and lastly for every Canadian fan of the sport of socccer.

Okay, I put this in the other thread but I'm going tp put it here, too.

For 30 years the Stanley Cup was shared between three out of six teams. From 1940 to 1970 it was either Toronto, Detroit or Montreal (okay, Chicago won one in 1960, but never again).

So, right now the Canadian championship is between three teams. If celebrating winning it helps it to grow, isn't that a good thing?

Shaughno
02-08-2010, 02:59 PM

So then we're following suit with the competition's tradition. I see no reason to bitch.

ag futbol
02-08-2010, 03:01 PM
my ass she's 18.

That's the first thing i thought when i saw that too, ahah!

Brooker
02-08-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm a die hard TFC fan and I didn't even know we were putting a star above the logo for the tourny...

how the hell does Bill Archer know? what a geek. as much as he pretends he doesn't, he sure loves to cover all things TFC. I guess when nobody ever writes anything about KKKolumbus, you gotta find something to write about.

I like how somebody called him Fox News like... so true. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

TFC Tifoso
02-08-2010, 03:10 PM
So then we're following suit with the competition's tradition. I see no reason to bitch.

Apparently we are......I also thought it was a pathetic attempt from our FO to bring an image of success to the team, but that is not the case.....seems like the winner of the NCC gets the star on their shirt the following year......

Shaughno
02-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Apparently we are......I also thought it was a pathetic attempt from our FO to bring an image of success to the team, but that is not the case.....seems like the winner of the NCC gets the star on their shirt the following year......

I thought it was king of stupid to begin with, but didn't really give a shit. Now I give even less of a shit...

TFC Tifoso
02-08-2010, 03:18 PM
I thought it was king of stupid to begin with, but didn't really give a shit. Now I give even less of a shit...

true....

ag futbol
02-08-2010, 03:21 PM
http://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/84807/new-manager-preki-impresses-me-with-his-winning-outlook.aspx

drewski
02-08-2010, 03:25 PM

and it was on their regular USL jersey's too. (2 silver for league and a gold one for NCC I assume)

TFC Tifoso
02-08-2010, 03:45 PM
and it was on their regular USL jersey's too. (2 silver for league and a gold one for NCC I assume)

yes it was.....two gold stars for USL, and the same red star (with leaf in middle) TFC will wear this year.

Stouffville_RPB
02-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't mind having the star and I don't care that Montreal did it last year. I actually think it's a pretty good idea having it on your jersey the year after you win. A little reminder of how you handed them their ass the year before. The winner every year should get it on their shirt the next year.

Rudi
02-08-2010, 03:55 PM

Perhaps we should have refused the trophy as well. And I hope TFC didn't get their names engraved on the Voyageurs Cup, how embarrassing that would be to actually acknowledge the highest level pro soccer tournament in this country.

MLS sucks in comparison to a bunch of other leagues in the world, too. I hope that should we win the MLS Cup one day, you will be here reminding us not to acknowledge such a rinky dink accomplishment.

Roogsy
02-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Perhaps we should have refused the trophy as well. And I hope TFC didn't get their names engraved on the Voyageurs Cup, how embarrassing that would be to actually acknowledge the highest level pro soccer tournament in this country.

MLS sucks in comparison to a bunch of other leagues in the world, too. I hope that should we win the MLS Cup one day, you will be here reminding us not to acknowledge such a rinky dink accomplishment.

QFT

/end thread

Stryker
02-08-2010, 05:27 PM

An MLS Cup would be progress and worthy of celebration.
Scraping by a pair of teams from a lower league is hardly worth bragging about. I can see you put a great importantance on the Voyagers Cup.
No doubt you've followed it long before TFC were on the scene and I respect that. What you see as a winning celebration of the game in this country I see as a sad reminder of the dismal state of the sport in this country in comparison to where we could be if not for our beloved CSA.

Sorry to disagree with you on this one but what you see as taking a step forward in recognition of the sport in this country I see as taking too steps back.

westrouge
02-08-2010, 05:33 PM
^How quintessentially Canadian.

O'Brian has lived in Canada for two FULL years, including last season with Toronto. His link with Jamaica is undoubtedly stronger than his link with Canada, which he cannot be faulted for given his set of circumstances.

Super
02-08-2010, 05:36 PM

Well fucking said, Rudi!

Rudi
02-08-2010, 05:58 PM
An MLS Cup would be progress and worthy of celebration.
Scraping by a pair of teams from a lower league is hardly worth bragging about. I can see you put a great importantance on the Voyagers Cup.
No doubt you've followed it long before TFC were on the scene and I respect that. What you see as a winning celebration of the game in this country I see as a sad reminder of the dismal state of the sport in this country in comparison to where we could be if not for our beloved CSA.

Sorry to disagree with you on this one but what you see as taking a step forward in recognition of the sport in this country I see as taking too steps back.
My tone indicates that I am taking this personally, which I am not. My apologies for that, I just view this tourney very seriously and don't think it deserves to be mocked by cunts like Bill Archer (and even some of our own supporters here (in the TFC Jersey Star thread). Thus, I've taken a bit of an adversarial style to the way I'v been respomnding to this issue.

The CSA for all its faults has to start somewhere to build the game up. Sure, they are largely to blame for the failure of the game's growth in this country to this point and should be held accountable for that, but when they start doing something right, it too deserves to be acknowledged.

I actually wrote a big piece on this exact subject at the U-Sector board (http://u-sector.ca/wp/2010/02/08/the-latest-from-fox-news/). Instead of re-hashing it here, I'll just link to it and those who are interested can read as they please.

MG42
02-08-2010, 06:25 PM
^good article Rudi

Dave67
02-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Good article Rudi. You know it's the offseason when people are bitching about a single star on a jersey for only a few games. Clubs around the world win single games in lower leagues and sell commemoritive DVDs in their club shop. We win our national championship and don't feel it warrants a star? Jeez it may not currently be much of a tournament, but it's ours.

Super
02-08-2010, 06:44 PM
I find it funny that anyone would mock or devaluate ANY professional soccer tournament in North American - especially taking into account how the sport has struggled to survive in the past. If people don't support the tournaments, cups and so on, then there's very little hope for the future.

And just for the record, there's a hell of a lot more heart and rivalry in the Canadian Cup than you'll see in the MLS Cup play-offs. But be that as it may.

Beach_Red
02-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I find it funny that anyone would mock or devaluate ANY professional soccer tournament in North American - especially taking into account how the sport has struggled to survive in the past. If people don't support the tournaments, cups and so on, then there's very little hope for the future.

Yes, I think this is true. I'm one of those people guilty of not being interested in soccer until a few years ago. I have no idea if the CSA was doing a good job or not and really, it wouldn't have mattered to me.

But now that there's a small bit of momentum, now that there are soccer games on TV - and on CBC, not just cable channels - it's no time for the usual Canadian negativity, cutting ourselves off at the knees, etc..

Roogsy
02-08-2010, 11:09 PM

And just for the record, there's a hell of a lot more heart and rivalry in the Canadian Cup than you'll see in the MLS Cup play-offs. But be that as it may.

Exactly. Rudi and Super have said it best.

Shit...it's like people want everything up front right away without having to work for it. Every tournament, every championship, every trophy started small and insignificant. Do you think the prestige of the Stanley Cup started that way? Do you think the NBA Championships were always the huge deal they are now? Do you think the Superbowl attracted 100million viewers in their first year?

This is where the Canadian Championships have started and TFC are a part of it. In 50 years, or 100 years, when soccer is the biggest sport in this country, and the Canadian Championships will be a huge deal, hopefully some of us will be around to remember the "Miracle in Montreal" or whatever the hell you want to call it.

And do you know what? We won't care that some of you didn't give it any importance and didn't recognize it was the beginning of big things.

Super
02-08-2010, 11:31 PM
And do you know what? We won't care that some of you didn't give it any importance and didn't recognize it was the beginning of big things.

Exactly! Why should we care what other teams say about our tournament? It was a hell of a good one and brought excitement down to the very last second. Heck, you couldn't have written a more spectacular ending. I'm sure the next one will bring tons of drama once again - and with it the great crowds and media attention (something Columbus isn't getting, MLS Cup winner or not).

Meh, I'm fine with Columbus fans and others taking a dump on our tournament. As long as we can put them in their place in the MLS. That's mighty high on my TFC to-do list!

tfcleeds
02-08-2010, 11:38 PM
I think Bill Archer deserves a star...for having to live in an absolute shitehole like Columbus.

Having said that, why does this xenophobic douchebag who should have been aborted deserve any mention on our forums?

rocker
02-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Dude, Wheeler is a columnist and writes an opinion peice for the SUN, and another journalist, either Hornby or Koshan or another actual reporter are assigned to practices for the actual news. Since he's not a reporter, he doesn't have to attribute his statements.

Dude, your idea would hold weight if Gareth Wheeler simply wrote his opinions.
You're telling me he's just writing an opinion piece, eh? That's he's just a "columnist."

Then why's he reporting stuff his fellow reporters haven't published?

He's clearly not following your definition of an opinion columnist.

If he truly has done the journalistic legwork (umm, the job of a reporter) and found this out, he needs to write a story on it... because that would be massive news: An American union negotiating so that TFC will have fewer INT players??? Massive news.

I know some people around here think he's good just because he's one of the few people to write about soccer. But I've always thought of his as a wannabe reporter with incoherent opinions.

Redcoe15
02-09-2010, 05:11 AM
I think Bill Archer deserves a star...for having to live in an absolute shitehole like Columbus.
Schadenfreude for us is more the way to go. :D

Having said that, why does this xenophobic douchebag who should have been aborted deserve any mention on our forums?
Personally, I could care less what Bill Archer thinks of us. He's just the weird kid who eats worms to get everyone's attention.

The Nutrilite Canadian Championship IS a big deal, AFAIC. You're playing to see who the best pro soccer team in Canada is AND gain a spot in the CONCACAF Champions League to boot. This series is still in its infancy and can only grow and get better once Vancouver and Montreal join MLS and other Canadian cities - Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa for example - get teams in the lower leagues.