PDA

View Full Version : Young Canadians for TFC to look at

Keegan
02-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Ok so I know they have Street in camp and he's an awesome young keeper.

But two Canucks I think might help TFC and are realistic are:

Marcel De Jong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_de_Jong

Only 23 years old, great left back/left winger a position TFC is desperate to get someone for. Takes free kicks and corners, awesome set piece taker... consistently scores off them in Holland and also scored a beauty vs. Italy in the U20 WC 2005. His contract expires this summer!! So with the right offer TFC could have him for free. Probably the second best Canadian left back out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOSie6nvgVc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTW1cjgZMOU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p67gAUP0HHs

Another guy Im noticing that is playing well in England is Gavin McCallum, he was capped a couple times by the U20s and now he plays in league 2.. 22 years old I think he plays as an attacking winger and sometimes striker

After todays game winner he has 6 goals in 5 starts... 11 appearances overall in the league... surely a guy with numbers like that will be in league 1 before long at only 22 years old. TFC should try to snap him up first.. they signed Johann Smith why not McCallum?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_McCallum

rocker
02-06-2010, 01:34 PM
DeJong looks good. but he would probably have to take a pay cut to come here.

The other guy? I dunno. does he want to come back and play for peanuts? Then sure, come do a trial. I don't make anything of his stats tho... weak competition.

Anyhow, any time someone brings up possible signings, my question always is: why would they want to come here if they have good things happening in Europe?
And how do we know they haven't been contacted by TFC? I mean you have to believe TFC has a list of all the Canadians playing abroad... they have the CSA down the hall and Dasovic on staff.

ArmenJBX
02-06-2010, 02:02 PM
David Edgar from Burnley, if we can get him, that would be crazy.

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Maybe some one like Phillip Appiah? Former Preston player, currently unattached and part of the recent U23 squad.

http://www.givemefootball.com/transfer-directory?letter=p#

ag futbol
02-06-2010, 05:08 PM
More realistic targets:

- Tosaint Ricketts - tried once with TFC ... they either passed or couldn't reach an agreement.
- Andrew Ornoch (personal favorite) - big, technical, plays up front or on the wing. Would be perfect for this team.
- Adrian Cann - defender, underused by the nats but he's a strong player.

werewolf
02-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Alex Eby - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHU4L8WJ2vk

Free Agent, 22. Spent 4 years in England League Reserves.

[NBF]
02-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Marcel DeJong?? - Interesting choice, but if he's lived in the Netherlands the majority of his life. Why would he come to TFC? Not to mention he plays for a decent club in the Netherlands.

Gavin McGallum?? - In my opinion hes worse than Marc Bircham and TFC said no to him in 2007.

David Edgar?? - He won't even play for Canada let alone want to come to TFC.

Here's a few more to add to the list:

Ryan Gyaki - Attacking Midfielder (Unattached)
Paris Nakajima-Farran - Midfielder/ Defender
Issey Nakajima-Farran - Winger/ Forward
Rhian Dodds - Midfielder (Unattached)
Roberto Giacomi - Goalkeeper

spark
02-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Hmm yeah I don't think De Jong is coming here. He plays 90 week in and out in a league that is at a higher level than MLS. As well he's stated before he'd like to try his luck in Germany, which might be materializing.

I feel like Issey would be much more likely to land in Vancouver than TO given his family background.

I don't think we'd see any of those guys listed coming here ... Are any of those guys from Toronto though?

ccopela
02-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Hmm yeah I don't think De Jong is coming here. He plays 90 week in and out in a league that is at a higher level than MLS. As well he's stated before he'd like to try his luck in Germany, which might be materializing.

I feel like Issey would be much more likely to land in Vancouver than TO given his family background.

I don't think we'd see any of those guys listed coming here ... Are any of those guys from Toronto though?

Andrew Ornoch is

deschamp86
02-07-2010, 04:39 PM
These are the only young Canadians around that I don't think would be out of place in this league, though the majority of these guys we would only be able to get on loan.

FORWARDS
Marcus Haber (21) West Bromwich Albion ENGLAND
Tosaint Ricketts (23) MyPa-47 FINLAND
Isidro Sanchez (23) Puebla FC - MEXICO

MIDFIELDERS
Jaime Peters (23) Ipswich Town ENGLAND
Issey Nakajima-Farran (26) AC Horsens DENMARK
Nik Ledgerwood (25) FSV Frankfurt GERMANY
Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault (22) GERMANY

DEFENDERS
David Edgar (23) Burnley ENGLAND
Steven Vitoria (23) SC Covilha PORTUGAL
Adam Straith (20) Energie Cottbus GERMANY

J .
02-08-2010, 12:37 AM
I didnt know edgar refused to play for the NT.

Macksam
02-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I didnt know edgar refused to play for the NT.
He didn't.

T_Mizz
02-09-2010, 12:49 PM
I remember there was an interview a while back with ornoch and he said he was really interested in playing for TFC but i think it was in the same way as deguzman like he'd come here when he's done with bein competitive or has nothing better to do.

Rudi
02-09-2010, 01:15 PM
;880603']David Edgar?? - He won't even play for Canada let alone want to come to TFC.
What?

McBrace
02-09-2010, 01:32 PM
David Edgar has played for our u17, and u20... He will play for the senior team...I think your confused NBF...

jloome
02-09-2010, 02:06 PM
These are the only young Canadians around that I don't think would be out of place in this league, though the majority of these guys we would only be able to get on loan.

FORWARDS

MIDFIELDERS

DEFENDERS

There are only three name here I figure would excel in MLs, and we can't afford any of them.

Keegan
02-09-2010, 02:28 PM
;880603']Marcel DeJong?? - Interesting choice, but if he's lived in the Netherlands the majority of his life. Why would he come to TFC? Not to mention he plays for a decent club in the Netherlands.

Gavin McGallum?? - In my opinion hes worse than Marc Bircham and TFC said no to him in 2007.

David Edgar?? - He won't even play for Canada let alone want to come to TFC.

Here's a few more to add to the list:

Ryan Gyaki - Attacking Midfielder (Unattached)
Paris Nakajima-Farran - Midfielder/ Defender
Issey Nakajima-Farran - Winger/ Forward
Rhian Dodds - Midfielder (Unattached)
Roberto Giacomi - Goalkeeper

TFC said no to McCallum in 2007.... ok? The year is 2010

Edgar would play for Canada? He just hasn't been good enough to break into the team yet

Keegan
02-09-2010, 02:31 PM
There are only three name here I figure would excel in MLs, and we can't afford any of them.

Out of that list

Issey, Peters, Edgar and Straith would all be starters/stars in MLS.

Straith is just as good as Nana and he is a year younger... starting in Germany.

Issey, Peters and Edgar no real explanation needed they've all played and shown well in leagues better than MLS.

Personally I think Jamie Peters would absolutely TEAR mls a new one. Think of Marvell Wynne if he could dribble. Issey is a really quick and skilled winger too, he would be a perfect signing for TFC but I doubt there is a chance of it happening.

rocker
02-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I like Issey... too bad he signed a long term deal and said he wasn't interested in MLS at this time. But he did say down the road MLS might be an option.. of course by then we wouldn't need him if the cap goes up along with quality.

Phil
02-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Moved as this seems to be more about good ideas than actual news.

jloome
02-09-2010, 03:47 PM
I always thought Peters would get killed in this league , that he'd do great in a technical league like Spain or Mexico, but MLS would not be a good fit because he's not strong on the ball and this league is so damn dirty.

But maybe you're right. Just my take.

Upside? He's played more at left back this year and has apparently done well, so maybe in that role. But I can't see it happening here anytime soon anyway.

Issey would fit, Edgar would fit, Haber would fit. None coming any time soon.

Straith must've blossomed, since he's only two years out of the Whitecaps residency as as 23-year-old. I note Cottbus has apparently also loaned him back to their amateur side as well, so he's not starting right now in Bundesliga.2. But they must see something in him, as he has had first team time.

So, maybe five.....none of whom is a legitimate shot at our wages, structure and level of competition, unfortunately.

There's the problem: the best Canadians go overseas young or will awlays gravitate towards the greatest challenge. It's developing that tier below to play domestically and in MLS that has to be the goal.

Out of that list

Issey, Peters, Edgar and Straith would all be starters/stars in MLS.

Straith is just as good as Nana and he is a year younger... starting in Germany.

Issey, Peters and Edgar no real explanation needed they've all played and shown well in leagues better than MLS.

Personally I think Jamie Peters would absolutely TEAR mls a new one. Think of Marvell Wynne if he could dribble. Issey is a really quick and skilled winger too, he would be a perfect signing for TFC but I doubt there is a chance of it happening.

ag futbol
02-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Perhaps some evidence can be found to the contrary but I haven't seen any reason in a long time to be impressed with Jamie Peters. He's constantly struggling for playing time in CCC or league 1 and he hasn't really progressed into anything better than he was four years ago. On top of that, there always seems to be rumors floating around his attitude is poor.

Straith signed a full pro deal with Cottbus a little while ago and has been starting on/off. Needless to say anything of a Straith / Edgar quality is 100% unrealistic. We can't afford it / they wouldn't do it ... non-starter.

Gavin McGallum is playing in league two … and I pretty well guarantee he is not the second coming of Simeon Jackson.

T_Mizz
02-09-2010, 06:32 PM
There's the problem: the best Canadians go overseas young or will awlays gravitate towards the greatest challenge. It's developing that tier below to play domestically and in MLS that has to be the goal.
Can't we then put in place something like gen adidas for canadian players, i mean once Vancouver and Montreal come in we're going to need it.

deschamp86
02-09-2010, 07:19 PM

I don't think any of them would excel in MLS, they are simply the only players that are in my opinion of the standard of MLS (good enough to get some minutes, but not good enough to be completely unrealistic).

Keegan
02-10-2010, 08:12 AM
I always thought Peters would get killed in this league , that he'd do great in a technical league like Spain or Mexico, but MLS would not be a good fit because he's not strong on the ball and this league is so damn dirty.

But maybe you're right. Just my take.

Upside? He's played more at left back this year and has apparently done well, so maybe in that role. But I can't see it happening here anytime soon anyway.

Issey would fit, Edgar would fit, Haber would fit. None coming any time soon.

Straith must've blossomed, since he's only two years out of the Whitecaps residency as as 23-year-old. I note Cottbus has apparently also loaned him back to their amateur side as well, so he's not starting right now in Bundesliga.2. But they must see something in him, as he has had first team time.

So, maybe five.....none of whom is a legitimate shot at our wages, structure and level of competition, unfortunately.

I don't know who you are thinking of but Straith is only 19 and has been a consistent starter with Cottbus since October and has even scored a goal. He hasn't been loaned back or anything

Keegan
02-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Perhaps some evidence can be found to the contrary but I haven't seen any reason in a long time to be impressed with Jamie Peters. He's constantly struggling for playing time in CCC or league 1 and he hasn't really progressed into anything better than he was four years ago. On top of that, there always seems to be rumors floating around his attitude is poor.

Straith signed a full pro deal with Cottbus a little while ago and has been starting on/off. Needless to say anything of a Straith / Edgar quality is 100% unrealistic. We can't afford it / they wouldn't do it ... non-starter.

Gavin McGallum is playing in league two … and I pretty well guarantee he is not the second coming of Simeon Jackson.

Things must have changed because apparently Roy Keane OF ALL PEOPLE loves Jamie. You know know that wouldn't be possible with a bad attitude. I never heard he had one, I just heard he had motivation problems.

He hasn't struggled for playing time too much, as a 19 year old he was a regular starter for Ipswich but then he fell out of favour (managers?) and now that Keane is manager he has regularly started last season and this season.

ag futbol
02-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Things must have changed because apparently Roy Keane OF ALL PEOPLE loves Jamie. You know know that wouldn't be possible with a bad attitude. I never heard he had one, I just heard he had motivation problems.

He hasn't struggled for playing time too much, as a 19 year old he was a regular starter for Ipswich but then he fell out of favour (managers?) and now that Keane is manager he has regularly started last season and this season.
I can appreciate your love for Canadian players but I don’t share your opinion of Peters.

The reason he fell out of favour with the old manager is that his training habits were poor . Maybe Roy Keane knows how to get more out of him than the old coach did? Who knows.

I don’t see him as much more than a track star who drifts in and out of games. Considering how highly touted he was when he was younger, he's a let down.

Macksam
02-13-2010, 01:54 PM

FORWARDS

MIDFIELDERS

DEFENDERS
De Jong as well.

jloome
02-14-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't know who you are thinking of but Straith is only 19 and has been a consistent starter with Cottbus since October and has even scored a goal. He hasn't been loaned back or anything

Not loaned back, he's played for both the senior club and the regional reserve, because he's not a full-time starter. Cottbus has played 23 games this season, he's started nine, featured intwo others and has started four games for their second team.

That means he's either not a starter or has only just become one. Either way, why would that necessarily indicate MLS success?

Still, I'm just looking at stats and he's a big kid, so maybe you're right. It was certainly true of Jakovic.

deschamp86
02-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Not loaned back, he's played for both the senior club and the regional reserve, because he's not a full-time starter. Cottbus has played 23 games this season, he's started nine, featured intwo others and has started four games for their second team.

That means he's either not a starter or has only just become one. Either way, why would that necessarily indicate MLS success?

Still, I'm just looking at stats and he's a big kid, so maybe you're right. It was certainly true of Jakovic.

I believe he was pegged that start the season as a starter but had an injury that held him back. Cottbus was doing okay early on so he ended up with the reserves and after some bad results he worked his way back into the first team and has been starting the majority of the games since.