PDA

View Full Version : TFC Jersey Star

jabbronies
02-06-2010, 09:48 AM
MODS: Delete if this has been brought up already.

So I noticed in the photo gallery on the TFC website that there will be a star over the TFC logo to represent Last years NCC win.

Does anyone know if it will only be on the NCC Jerseys or will it be a permanant fixture on thier kits.

There was a huge discussion about how it shouldn't be done a few months back. Although it looks cool, I don't know if it should be done. A league title/MLS CUP is one thing, a 3 team tournament is another.

London
02-06-2010, 09:53 AM
it says "for the 2010 NCC commemerating the 2009NCC

so i am assuming it is for those matches

werewolf
02-06-2010, 09:55 AM
I would have liked a Maple Leaf under the logo, guess that didn't happen. A star is a bit much, I agree it should be League titles.

A patch would be nice, with the number of titles we have won, like the Champions League -

http://images.productserve.com/preview/974/49912569.jpg

flatpicker
02-06-2010, 09:56 AM
hmmm... didn't see that picture before.

Looks kinda nice.
So this will be on the jersey all season?
I would hope it's only for the Voyageur Cup.

http://web.mlsnet.com/images/2010/02/04/TGnJ3Nof.jpg

London
02-06-2010, 09:56 AM
it looks good in my opinion.

the maple leaf makes it original

canadian_bhoy
02-06-2010, 09:59 AM
I like it. Fits nice with the TFC logo too.

More please! :D

Also - now that MLS has added the Scudetto to the jersey of the cup champs and TFC is adding this star, do you think other leagues in NA will start recognizing the champions from the past season? I can see the NHL changing the cup champs NHL logo to gold or something like that...even thought the stanley cup is silver.........either way - could TFC/MLS be creating another trend?

Ossington Mental Youth
02-06-2010, 10:12 AM
although im proud and happy we won i think a patch is a bit much, especially as there are only 3 teams involved

flatpicker
02-06-2010, 10:16 AM
^ which is why I would rather it only be on their jerseys during the CC.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-06-2010, 10:17 AM
^ which is why I would rather it only be on their jerseys during the CC.

makes sense to me

Redcoe15
02-06-2010, 10:59 AM
I hope TFC wears that during the NCC, just to rub it in to Montreal and Vancouver and their fans. :devil:

Carts
02-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I hope TFC wears that during the NCC, just to rub it in to Montreal and Vancouver and their fans. :devil:

Don't think it'll do to much to Montreal fans - they can have one over their logo too...

Carts...

MUFC_Niagara
02-06-2010, 11:11 AM
flatpicker, my understanding is that it will only be worn during the NCC.

flatpicker
02-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Don't think it'll do to much to Montreal fans - they can have one over their logo too...

Carts...

You are correct... although, there is on difference... Toronto's crest is sexy, and the Impact crest is shit.

flatpicker, my understanding is that it will only be worn during the NCC.

Good... that's the way it should be.

lips
02-06-2010, 11:21 AM
I like the maple leaf in the star looks cool. don't think they should use it for MLS games

canadian_bhoy
02-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Would be cool if the NHL did up some sort of year long cup recognition. (team who wins cup gets a gold NHL logo, while everyone else gets the silver logo).

http://i46.tinypic.com/5vom7k.jpg

Red Baron
02-06-2010, 11:34 AM
A star for beating 2 other teams a league lower than us? ridiculous

flatpicker
02-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Would be cool if the NHL did up some sort of year long cup recognition. (team who wins cup gets a gold NHL logo, while everyone else gets the silver logo).

I agree it would be a nice touch.

ua-kozak_TFC
02-06-2010, 11:54 AM
This shows the SAD state of the team....:facepalm: i think they should also put a # 12 on the jersey too.. to give us a sense of accomplishment in last year's standing...

This is SO house league... Stars should only be put on jersey for big accomplishments.. like MLS CUP or winning Concacaf championsleague... not a roundrobbin that if you win you qualify for a play off match to enter concaff championsleague ( that other MLS teams enter dirrectly)... do you realize how lowly that is...?? We might as well put stars on our jersey if we win the charleston cup too.

I know we are all hungry for glory... but that doesn;t mean we have to become pathetic...

Yeoman
02-06-2010, 11:58 AM
A star for beating 2 other teams a league lower than us? ridiculous

drop the 'holier then thou' attitude
one of them did manage to beat us before at our own stadium
and the other drew us at BMO and took the title away from us.
grow up will you, have some acceptance that there is hardly any difference in the level of play between MLS and USL1 already. I know I don't.

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-06-2010, 12:02 PM
As I said before, I don't like the star. A Canadian shield or something for whoever is the current NCC champion would be better, ala Scudetto in Italy.

TFCtoMUFC
02-06-2010, 12:04 PM
I'd rather a patch that says stuff about the championship, star will do. Excuse to get a new jersey.

canadian_bhoy
02-06-2010, 12:07 PM
My only suggestion would be that they make the leaf inside the star gold instead of white....

Might be nice to see a little gold in the TFC jersey ;)

LittleOzzy
02-06-2010, 12:35 PM
A Maple Leaf would of been better in my opinion.

Stars for League Cups, Maple Leafs for NCC.

ForestGlade
02-06-2010, 12:38 PM
I didn't say anything about the level of play. A star should mean something and be worn for winning something significant. A 3 team tournament doesn't merit it. It's like having a star for the Trillium Cup. What will they do if we win the actual champions league?

If that time ever comes, wouldn't that be a problem you'd be more than happy to deal with?

drewski
02-06-2010, 12:39 PM
is that maple leaf inside the star really gonna show when its scaled down? shoulda just had the maple leaf. otherwise, I like :)

If they sell a white kit with that patch I'd pick it up

Yeoman
02-06-2010, 12:40 PM
then perhaps you should have just said it in that statement rather then leaving the door wide open like you did

TFCUNITED
02-06-2010, 01:05 PM
If TFC wins the NCC this year, I really hope they do not add another star for next year. I don't mind teams wearing a star because they won a championship but I don't teams adding stars for every championship they win because it will take a bit of the lustre away of having one (at least it does for me). If they do something like: 1 title=1 star, 5 titles=2 stars, 10 titles=3 stars, etc, I wouldn't have any problems about it.

uncle p
02-06-2010, 01:18 PM
I dont see what the big deal is, i think it looks good!! But i do agree that this kit should ONLY be worn during the CC and not for league or champions league play

Going into this years tournament there will be a clear reminder of the embarrassing way to lose a game (for MTL) and not to pop champagne till its over (for Van City)

billyfly
02-06-2010, 01:30 PM
1-Only for Nutrilite games
2-Agree that until we win 5 or 10 Can Championships no more stars.
3-If we lose this year, MTL and VAN are going to make a whole lotta fun of us.

jabbronies
02-06-2010, 03:19 PM
If TFC wins the NCC this year, I really hope they do not add another star for next year. I don't mind teams wearing a star because they won a championship but I don't teams adding stars for every championship they win because it will take a bit of the lustre away of having one (at least it does for me). If they do something like: 1 title=1 star, 5 titles=2 stars, 10 titles=3 stars, etc, I wouldn't have any problems about it.

This is my problem. Lets say TFC do well and win 5 NCC, definitely a possibility with only 3 teams in the competition, then the shirt is going to be bombarded with stars!

maybe on the Fifth championship, they get a single gold star

London
02-06-2010, 03:34 PM
i thought 5 years was a silver star and 10 a gold star

when you get to 20 you get 2 gold stars and so on

flatpicker
02-06-2010, 03:55 PM
^ I like your foresight guys!

London
02-06-2010, 03:57 PM
i know in italy, gold stars mean 10 titles, somewhere i heard about the silver thing, not sure where

Stryker
02-06-2010, 04:21 PM
This shows the SAD state of the team....:facepalm: i think they should also put a # 12 on the jersey too.. to give us a sense of accomplishment in last year's standing...

This is SO house league... Stars should only be put on jersey for big accomplishments.. like MLS CUP or winning Concacaf championsleague... not a roundrobbin that if you win you qualify for a play off match to enter concaff championsleague ( that other MLS teams enter dirrectly)... do you realize how lowly that is...?? We might as well put stars on our jersey if we win the charleston cup too.

I know we are all hungry for glory... but that doesn;t mean we have to become pathetic...I whole heartedly agree. We are a joke.

Redpunkfiddle
02-06-2010, 05:00 PM
I see nothing unprofessional about acknowledging winners of our National Championship, small as it may be for now- during the NCC matches of course.

GBV
02-06-2010, 05:23 PM
although im proud and happy we won i think a patch is a bit much, especially as there are only 3 teams involved

and the two others are in "lower" leagues.
i think this is a lot much.

[NBF]
02-06-2010, 06:06 PM
I would have liked a Maple Leaf under the logo, guess that didn't happen. A star is a bit much, I agree it should be League titles.

A patch would be nice, with the number of titles we have won, like the Champions League -

Helluva alot better idea than bedazzling a shirt cuz you beat a team that laid down infront of you:drinking:

That game was no miracle, you guys just want something sooo bad you don't care how it happens because you keep buying into the hype:D It kills you and it kills me believe me:scarf:

spark
02-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Yeah I think it should stick to the Euro model as mentioned above in Italy. I know in Germany (i think) it's one star for five championships.

To me it seems kinda overboard especially considering we didn't even make it into the Champions League as a result.

Cashcleaner
02-06-2010, 07:53 PM

Agreed 100% on the idea of a Champions League type patch. Fuck it, I'll throw some more zeros in for good measure. 1000000000%

I'm down with having something along the same lines for the Canadian Championship as well, though.

SilverSamurai
02-06-2010, 08:02 PM
I like it but think that only he defending champ should be able to wear it. Otherwise we'll have the impact (once they win a bunch) lookin like the EU flag. Should just be a maple leaf though IMO

Rudi
02-07-2010, 11:47 PM
I whole heartedly agree. We are a joke.
Why are "we" a joke for wearing a star/scudetto mandated by the CSA?

Whoop
02-07-2010, 11:51 PM
I like it but think that only he defending champ should be able to wear it. Otherwise we'll have the impact (once they win a bunch) lookin like the EU flag. Should just be a maple leaf though IMO

The Impact have won the Voyageurs Cup 7 times.

Yagbod
02-08-2010, 12:02 AM
How about this: three stars, only earned under the following circumstances:

Star: Canadian Championship ( they have already applied the star, we have to live with it now)

Star: CONCACAF Championship

Star: MLS cup Championship

We could work in the bronze, silver, or gold for time's won.

Red Baron
02-08-2010, 12:43 AM
How about this. Winning the NCC qualifies you for the champions league. Win that and get a star. Geting a star for qualifying is like getting a participation trophy. it's embarrassing

Not to take away anything from the V's cup. It's important but it should be expected that we win it every year.

Whoop
02-08-2010, 12:47 AM
^^
+1

Give the star if you win the CCL.

James17930
02-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Should have been a patch for the current Voyageur's cup holder (a la the MLS Scudetto), worn only during the tournament, silver star for five wins, gold for ten.

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-08-2010, 07:52 AM
i thought 5 years was a silver star and 10 a gold star

when you get to 20 you get 2 gold stars and so on
Nah, there's no silver star, 10 titles is one star, 20 is two, etc.

MLS' thing of one star per title is a bit silly... Unless they really DON'T expect this league to last long enough for any team to win ten titles.

But yeah, since the NCC winner is the Canadian champion, there should be a Canadian shield patch or something. A star for winning THAT is a bit much, or maybe just shows the TFC people haven't done their reaearch.

Oldtimer
02-08-2010, 09:11 AM
;880628']Helluva alot better idea than bedazzling a shirt cuz you beat a team that laid down infront of you:drinking:

That game was no miracle, you guys just want something sooo bad you don't care how it happens because you keep buying into the hype:D It kills you and it kills me believe me:scarf:

It was no miracle that TFC merely won that match. Winning by 5 goals was pretty amazing, even against a "B" squad (and Montreal added 3 "A" players as the match went on), so if people want to call it a "miracle," its okay by me..

Fort York Redcoat
02-08-2010, 09:18 AM
My only reservation is reminding Montreal how many times they've won the Vcup. I agree with Jabbronies, after 5 or ten or the like.

Oldtimer
02-08-2010, 09:28 AM
^^
+1

Give the star if you win the CCL.

Winning it would be a tremendous accomplishment. MLS sides have only won twice (1998 & 2000), before the current format, and before it led to the World Club Cup competition.

flatpicker
02-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Do clubs in other parts of the world wear a star over their crest during league competition if the star represents a non-league championship?

Or do they only wear certain stars for certain competitions?

drewski
02-08-2010, 10:33 AM
good reference on stars, including what the represent to each team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_%28football_crest%29

Stryker
02-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Why are "we" a joke for wearing a star/scudetto mandated by the CSA?

Think you just answered your own question.

Parkdale
02-08-2010, 10:40 AM
maybe they'll put a 'made the playoffs' star on the kit.... if we ever make it.

drewski
02-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Do clubs in other parts of the world wear a star over their crest during league competition if the star represents a non-league championship?

Or do they only wear certain stars for certain competitions?

ipswich town has 3 stars, including ones for FA and UEFA cup, Aberdeen has stars for Cup Winners Cup and Super Cup, Marseille has star for CL win

Parkdale
02-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Marseille has star for CL win

Marseilles has also won the Ligue 1 title 8 times and the French Cup (like the FA cup) 10 times

it's simple really - winners get stars.

TFC putting a star on their jersey is a joke. We ARE NOT a winning team.
I love the team, but am not going to kid myself into thinking we're a winning team.
We should have owned the NCC since we entered the league, and now we're what? 50%? that's not good enough for a star.

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-08-2010, 10:50 AM
I think other European countries use a star for CL wins... that's probably it. I definitely agree with Parkdale here, a star is pretty stupid. And if as Rudi says this star is mandated by the CSA, just another example of incompetence and lack of understanding of how these things work.

Detroit_TFC
02-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Can we get confirmation that this is only for NCC uniforms?

deltox
02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
yes...its confirmed it says so in the pic description

ensco
02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
What say we hang one of these outside the teams offices instead?

http://www.amazon.com/I-Can-Do-Reward-Chart/dp/B000OYTP76%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2 %26tag%3Dsquidooa135973-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165 953%26creativeASIN%3DB000OYTP76

billyfly
02-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Seriously, what's the BIG deal? This is a CSA idea (or so I believe) and is reserved for NCC games. The discussion how TFC won last year's tourney is another topic all together.

While I would prefer that after 2 years TFC would have at least won the comp twice and in more convincing fashion, we didn't.

Mtl and Van should wear something that distinguishes their achievements in the NCC and that's that.

Azerban
02-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Van

achievements in the NCC

ahahahah

trane
02-08-2010, 12:00 PM
The star idea was mine, altought it was a joke. Yes, I like stars for REAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, but not stars for what is basicaly a tournament, an important one. This is like getting a star for teams qualifying for CL, throught the early rounds.

I think this is silly. But I want credit for the idea. ;)

trane
02-08-2010, 12:01 PM
I guess Billy's gate is next, a Star gate if I had my way.

pekduck
02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Why don't you take the credit for inventing electricity while at it. :)

Daveisonfire
http://www.reelcollectibles.co.nz/images/stargate/stargate_replica_mirror.JPG

Toronto Gunner
Following this trend, I assume that we're getting TFC branded gravy boats with our renewal packages

Redpunkfiddle
Thread merge in 3...2....1....

boban
02-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Why don't you take the credit for inventing electricity while at it. :)
I think Tesla has dibs on that.

trane
02-08-2010, 12:08 PM
http://www.reelcollectibles.co.nz/images/stargate/stargate_replica_mirror.JPG

Supporters star gate, love it.

Beach_Red
02-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Well, you know, for about a hundred years they gave the Stanley Cup to the winning team when there were only six teams - and really the Rangers and Bruins were hardly ever any real threat.

In fact, between 1941 and 1970 the Stanley Cup was really a three team competition - the Red Wings, the Leafs and the Habs (the Black Hawks snuck one in 1960 but haven't repeated since).

Super Cereal
02-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Too bad Microsoft didn't steal your idea, you'd have your own commercial.

Ageroo
02-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Thread merge in 3...2....1....

0.......:)

ua-kozak_TFC
02-08-2010, 05:26 PM
maybe they'll put a 'made the playoffs' star on the kit.... if we ever make it.
LOL.... hahahhaha that would be SOOO embarassing...
Yea why just addorn the players like a christmas tree...(for the [false] sense of accomplishment ie. making Mo look less bad) ... yea make a star for scoring more goals than we conceded... or a winning record.. or like having a full squad before the season stars and not making aquisition when shit hits the fan...
This reminds me of a first grade... when teacher would give you stickers just to keep you quiete and happy...

ilikemusic
02-09-2010, 12:42 AM
Following this trend, I assume that we're getting TFC branded gravy boats with our renewal packages

Theres always this talk of gravy boats but we never see any action on it!
:hulk:

If I dont see some gravy boats, or at least the makings of some gravy boats this season, I dont think I will renew my tickets.

Keystone FC
02-09-2010, 03:58 AM
As I see it. The star is for the winner of the Canadian Championship for pro clubs (I don't know if there is one for amateurs) in Canada which there are currently 3. We won it so let's enjoy it. Yeah, there are only 3 teams in the tournament but it's still a tournament with intense rivalry and some history (the voyageurs cup goes back 9 years).
There has been some discussion in the past that a 'roundel', like the ones in Italy's Serie A, would be better which I could see. For right now it's a star and a star that holds meaning for me. Not that TFC won it but what TFC had to do to win it and the way we ALL rejoiced when the final whistle blew.

Oldtimer
02-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Good article by Rudi of U-Sector:

http://u-sector.ca/wp/2010/02/08/the-latest-from-fox-news/

ilikemusic
02-09-2010, 03:01 PM
I stopped reading when I saw 'Bill Archer'.

Will TFC fans please stop feeding this troll?!

Phil
02-09-2010, 03:05 PM
I stopped reading when I saw 'Bill Archer'.

Will TFC fans please stop feeding this troll?!

To be honest, part of the discetion is why he continually follows us LOL.

reggie
02-09-2010, 03:24 PM
really...who is bill archer???
is it time for me to buy another bird?

Skinner
02-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Remember this?

http://www.marsportscards.com/Pictures%20For%20Sale/images/Don%20Saleski.gif