PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Feb.04

denime
02-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Mornin' and enjoy the News,

Preki seen as big step up for TFC (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/760332--preki-seen-as-big-step-up-for-tfc)

'The past doesn't matter': TFC coach Preki (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/02/03/sp-tfc-preki.html)

Preki Sets Expectations In Training (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100203&content_id=8016944&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Silence speaks volumes in TFC camp (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/02/03/12730311-qmi.html)

2010 NCC Announcement On Thursday (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100203&content_id=8016640&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

The Kick about: Reds' 2010 Schedule (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100203&content_id=8015998&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

TFC's schedule released, Beckham likely to miss Toronto yet again (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2010/02/03/toronto-fc-s-schedule-is-released.aspx)

Grill Room: TFC season preview (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/02/03/12727461.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Stouffville_RPB
02-04-2010, 07:31 AM
"He's a leader," captain Jim Brennan told reporters... that coming from our captain.

Fort York Redcoat
02-04-2010, 08:07 AM
1 o'clock today! Vcup sched!!

Now that's a road trip!!!

:canada::scarf::canada:

CoachGT
02-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Hard to tell yesterday was media day, huh? Glad to see it!

Pinkie
02-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Can't wait till Vcup schedule

then my entire summer will be set :)

spark
02-04-2010, 08:28 AM
TFC YOUNG GUNS SET TO MAKE THEIR MARK (http://www.rednationonline.ca/TFC_Young_Guns_Set_To_Make_Their_Mark_feb_4_10_col umn.shtml)

Oldtimer
02-04-2010, 08:41 AM
The Sun article really makes me upset.

DeRo unhappy, Robbo mistreated?

I lay the blame for this 100% on Mo and his dishonourable ways. It's this side of Mo that is not great for our team to have, and has undoubtedly led to a lot of the underperformance over the years.

Oldtimer
02-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Really good interview with Sam Cronin and his coach at Wake Forest:

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Rednation_Speaks_with_Sam_Cronin_feb_3_10_feature. shtml (audeo)

Shaughno
02-04-2010, 09:19 AM
"He's a leader," captain Jim Brennan told reporters... that coming from our captain.

Preki is. No doubt about it. Brennan is not. I'm sorry, but he never really has been in my eyes. I'm glad he's been apart of our team and I certainly don't take anything away from his ironman season. I just never thought he was 'captain material' if you will.

I'm still not sure who is in our current squad though. Aside from DeRo (who's probably going to get it IMO), there isn't much leadership material from what I've seen. Not even DeRo realistically...

I lay the blame for this 100% on Mo and his dishonourable ways. It's this side of Mo that is not great for our team to have, and has undoubtedly led to a lot of the underperformance over the years.

I've been saying this all along. Bringing in a DP and not following through with DeRo's contract was always going to be disaster. Why did DeRo's performance drop after about halfway through the season? Take a guess...

As for Robbo. He's good. He's overpaid. I'd keep him for half, or less his salary. Other than that, thanks Robbo for your service but kindly... piss off. We have more than enough CM style players as it is, even after losing a few.

I'd like to see a couple natural wingers brought in. I'd like to see a commanding CB brought in. IMO, we could probably get one of each, if not all three on Robbo's salary.

JonO
02-04-2010, 09:23 AM

My thoughts exactly. Really disheartening article...

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Can the Sun article really be taken at face value, though? Their standard of journalism regarding TFC has been called into question often in the past...

I'll be more likely to believe it when I either read it in a credible news source or hear it from the mouth of someone in the team.

scooter
02-04-2010, 09:31 AM
mornin d

lots of good news today--------preki

Beach_Red
02-04-2010, 09:32 AM

If it's true I lay the blame with their agents. What are they paying these guys 15% for?

ginkster88
02-04-2010, 09:43 AM
That Wheeler article is a piece of shit. Nobody would talk to Gareth yesterday and his feelings were hurt. He couldn't get a story so now its time to go to the "sources". The "Robinson, DeRo unhappy due to wild speculation" story makes for much more interesting reading from The Sun's point of view than "our reporter was unable to develop a proper story by the deadline".

Steve
02-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Anyone else notice this:
"You can't really make somebody be a leader — that's a natural thing," Preki said. "We're looking for guys who have those qualities and hopefully we can find one or two who can lead the group."

Seems pretty clear that Jimmy is out (well, I think we all knew that, but has it come from the horses mouth yet?).

trane
02-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Why is Nick Garcia still with the club? I thought the idea was for us to improve defensively.

Shaughno
02-04-2010, 09:50 AM
As bad as it sounds... until we have a replacement, I'd rather not get rid of him. Smallest roster in the MLS currently, and I'd rather not see that number get even lower.

Roogsy
02-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Wheeler's article can't be 100% wrong can it? I mean the guy can't just make stuff up can he? I have no experience in journalism so I don't know but even if HALF of what he says is true, it is incredibly worrisome.

Who would have thought when this entire experience started that we would have such a douchebag directing our soccer operations???

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Anyone else notice this:
"You can't really make somebody be a leader — that's a natural thing," Preki said. "We're looking for guys who have those qualities and hopefully we can find one or two who can lead the group."

Seems pretty clear that Jimmy is out (well, I think we all knew that, but has it come from the horses mouth yet?).
TFC needs to bring in a Dion Phaneuf.

TFC Tifoso
02-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Can the Sun article really be taken at face value, though? Their standard of journalism regarding TFC has been called into question often in the past...

I'll be more likely to believe it when I either read it in a credible news source or hear it from the mouth of someone in the team.

How so? What have they done in the past to be called into question, and who is another credible source you want to see it from?

Not trying to be a dick or start an argument....just genuinely wondering...

That Wheeler article is a piece of shit. Nobody would talk to Gareth yesterday and his feelings were hurt. He couldn't get a story so now its time to go to the "sources". The "Robinson, DeRo unhappy due to wild speculation" story makes for much more interesting reading from The Sun's point of view than "our reporter was unable to develop a proper story by the deadline".

And how is this any different from what Molinaro, or Ben Knight or Duane Rollins says?......they always reference "sources" without giving any names as well.

Is there any other reason than discontent why our most outspoken player and one of our more approachable players would stay silent on media day?

denime
02-04-2010, 10:17 AM

We don't know if this is just a speculation,but one thing is for sure where there's smoke, there's fire and even if a half of it is true locker room is not a happy place to be.

mastermixer
02-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Again, where are the public relations people to make sure these players aren't being labled incorrectly by reporters? Wouldnt you want to ensure the media and fans that everything is ok by at least making them speak to the reporters and not causing and unnecessary fuss? You would think that the PR team knows that there are rumours circulating that these two players are unhappy and should have advised them to at least confront the media on "media day" to calm everyone down. :facepalm:

Roogsy
02-04-2010, 10:24 AM
The PR people at TFC are not the most liked people around here (and for good reason). Let's just leave it at that.

bgnewf
02-04-2010, 10:27 AM
The PR people at TFC are not the most liked people around here (and for good reason). Let's just leave it at that.

Michelle Lissell is protected from upon high.

Why??? who knows.

Beach_Red
02-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Wheeler's article can't be 100% wrong can it? I mean the guy can't just make stuff up can he? I have no experience in journalism so I don't know but even if HALF of what he says is true, it is incredibly worrisome.

Who would have thought when this entire experience started that we would have such a douchebag directing our soccer operations???

Just to be clear, today we're complaining that 1) there aren't enough players on the roster, and 2) the players here aren't paid enough.

So, which do we want, more players or these ones paid more?

;)

Darlofletch
02-04-2010, 11:01 AM
And again from the Wheeler article, Serioux isn't really all that injured, they just apparently decided not to give him a contract. If true, that really sucks, for so many reasons.

rocker
02-04-2010, 11:08 AM
And again from the Wheeler article, Serioux isn't really all that injured, they just apparently decided not to give him a contract. If true, that really sucks, for so many reasons.

I'll trust Jason De Vos's knowledge over Gareth Wheeler. If you read De Vos's tweet to Duane Rollins yesterday, Serioux has a broken elbow.

But apparently for Wheeler "The matter is strictly contractual."

Glad Wheeler isn't my doctor ;)

If Mo Johnston signs a player with a history of injuries and now with a broken elbow to a contract, that would be foolish.

ginkster88
02-04-2010, 11:15 AM
You guys don't seem to remember the laughable reporting Wheeler did after Columbus away last year. After than I'm going to always assume that he's full of shit.

trane
02-04-2010, 11:16 AM
As bad as it sounds... until we have a replacement, I'd rather not get rid of him. Smallest roster in the MLS currently, and I'd rather not see that number get even lower.

Agreed. But if you had to stay with one, Serioux or him, I would have hoped for Serioux. Althought I do understand the Serioux thing, injury driven.

TFC Tifoso
02-04-2010, 11:26 AM
You guys don't seem to remember the laughable reporting Wheeler did after Columbus away last year. After than I'm going to always assume that he's full of shit.

Yeah I read the article and remember it well...and by all accounts, including what was said on here and other places, what Wheeler wrote about did, for the most part, happen but for some reason people decided to get all upset when he reported it.

Wheeler has written about TFC long before that, and has made sense many times, so you're gonna disregard everything he's written for one piece that, while may have been in poor taste, was not very far from the truth?

Aside from an overreaction from the CPD, last time I checked, there no need to be throwing railings at a security guard from a higher deck at a soccer game....

Stouffville_RPB
02-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Wheeler and The Sun are garbage. I can't believe how many people still read his/their stuff. The only thing that paper is good for is the SSG and even then 90% of the time they are off on that. If they can't find good looking women how can they be trusted to find credible journalists?

With all the sources covering TFC The Sun can definately be disregarded.

Stryker
02-04-2010, 11:37 AM
There's a fresh blurb up on the footy blog about us getting a Dutch striker.
His record looks so spotty though I can't even work up enough excitement to post the link.

Whoop
02-04-2010, 11:49 AM

It's a column, so it's his opinion. He's probably just putting 1 + 1 = 3. The DeRo interview he did last fall + Robinson being traded speculation.

Could it be a case of where there's smoke there is fire?

Maybe it's nothing but with Mo and TFC, nothing surprises me.

ManUtd4ever
02-04-2010, 11:55 AM
I am not a fan of Wheeler to say the least but I'm afraid his article has some merit to it. The only positive development of the off season thus far has been the hiring of Preki. I will try not to judge the roster until the season starts but for the moment the team has lost considerable depth in Guevara, Serioux, and potentially Robbo without adequate replacements. Furthermore, our best player feels betrayed by the organization and has been very vocal about his discontent. Preki will have to be a magician to field a contender with this group...

Whoop
02-04-2010, 12:00 PM
His record looks so spotty though I can't even work up enough excitement to post the link.

Yeah, I wouldn't get too excited seeing as FC Dordrecht is a mid-level 2nd division Dutch team. That is probably the equivalent of League Two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibad_Muhamadu

The other interesting tidbit in the blog though is that Collins John is apparently tearing it up at Chicago Fire's camp.

denime
02-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Thanks for info:

Here is link:

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/

Ibad Muhamadu

Shaughno
02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
MU4E... I agree. I've heard enough rumblings over the past year to put at least a LITTLE bit of credit to his rantings.

I disagree though, I think Preki has what it takes to mold our players into a hard working, effecient machine. All he needs is for the FO.. and MO.... to stay out of it so he can do what he does best.

Shaughno
02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't get too excited seeing as FC Dordrecht is a mid-level 2nd division Dutch team. That is probably the equivalent of League Two.

The other interesting tidbit in the blog though is that Collins John is apparently tearing it up at Chicago Fire's camp.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Oldtimer
02-04-2010, 12:23 PM
The good side of things is that even when teams have drama in the change room, a good manager can still bring victory.

DangerRed
02-04-2010, 12:33 PM
The good side of things is that even when teams have drama in the change room, a good manager can still bring victory.

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Preki can be a fantastic manager, but if De Ro's pissed about money and there's no bench depth, we're in for a long season.

v00d00daddy
02-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Well Wheeler has succeeded. He's put nothing but speculation and his opinion based on two players not wanting to talk on media day and turned it into a story....a story that has us all talking.

As for the "story" itself....If DeRo is pissed off about not being named the DP he should just come out and say it. It's obvious that his ego is more important than the team. I'm beginning to sour on him quickly. Preki...please don't make him captain.

As for Robbo...meh....I've been waiting for his departure since he arrived at this club. I would have preffered that he leave on good terms but whining out the door works just as well. As long as he's gone.

Blizzard
02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
I'll trust Jason De Vos's knowledge over Gareth Wheeler. If you read De Vos's tweet to Duane Rollins yesterday, Serioux has a broken elbow.

But apparently for Wheeler "The matter is strictly contractual."

Glad Wheeler isn't my doctor ;)

If Mo Johnston signs a player with a history of injuries and now with a broken elbow to a contract, that would be foolish.

Of course the broken elbow had nothing to do with soccer. He apparently slipped on any iced up sidewalk or some such thing and came down on his elbow.

Depending on how it heals, it could be the end of his long throw-ins.

Whoop
02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
LOL... I just saw the headline of Wheeler's article in the paper (I read it online via the London Free Press website where it was different).

RED POUT BOYS

LOL... Though in Wheeler's defense he doesn't come up with the title for the articles, the copy editor does. That's why the headline in the London Free Press was "Silence speaks volume in TFC Camp".

jenkinsm
02-04-2010, 02:05 PM
The problem is...unless we hear the story from the horse's mouth...everything is just speculation. The TFC camp (just like every other MLSE product) will never give us the inside scoup on what's going on. Even when it does come out...it ends up so watered down that who really knows where the truth lies.

For example...did Guevara really want to play in Honduras during the World Cup year like they let us believe? Makes sense, right. Or was he the problem last year when there was talk of a broken locker room? Also seems possible given his history. We'll never know.

At the same time...you don't want the public to think you can't run a football club.

gtaguy
02-04-2010, 02:42 PM

2nd..

I also thought that the RPB would never again post links to this
tools commentaries

JDG
02-04-2010, 02:58 PM

Remember, remember his attempt to dismember,
the good name of TFC supporters everywhere?

He's the Goof who thought he'd make himself a name as a soccer journalist by labeling us hooligans when the real story should have been about overzealous US police enforcement policies.

I'll never forget. I'll never consider him credible. I'll never understand why we still link to his tripe in the Daily News threads.

CretanBull
02-04-2010, 03:07 PM
^ agreed 100%

Whoop
02-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Unfortunately it's because there is so little coverage of the sport in Toronto, from a TFC perspective.

But yeah I still haven't forgotten about last April.

I still think he's onto something here. It's not like this hasn't been reported before.

rocker
02-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Wheeler's article can't be 100% wrong can it?

I don't see much "fact" in his story.. actually let's break it down. Let's look at the "facts" (things we can say are right or wrong) in his story. And then let's look at where those "facts" come from:

As reported in the Toronto Sun earlier this week, Robinson is on the trade block. [So he's citing his own newspaper]

Whether it’s by his accord or the team’s is not known. It has been suggested the move towards a divorce is mutual. [He doesn't know, and he can't talk to Robinson, but the feeling is mutual according to somebody that suggested something]

From TFC’s standpoint, it wants to shed Robinson’s salary. [is this a fact? What's his source?]

Robinson’s quality is desirable to many teams, but sources say the stumbling block in a potential trade is his salary. [Who are his sources?]

So for the time being, Robinson remains a Red, but is not happy about it. [Is this fact? Wait, Robinson wouldn't talk to Wheeler so how does he know?]

The two-time team MVP reportedly feels disrespected by how the team has handled the situation. [Fact? Robinson wouldn't talk to Wheeler so how does he know? What report did this come from?]

Sources say the club originally told De Rosario he would be the team’s Designated Player before agreeing to come to Toronto last winter. [ahhh.. Sources say.. the classic journalistic weasel word. Who are these sources? De Ro said he asked to leave Houston not that TFC asked him to come here -- that would be tampering.]

Common sense dictates that the team’s leading goal-scorer deserves the money, but the new CBA may not. [Now his source is COMMON SENSE! Can't disagree with common sense! Must be a fact. But wait, whether he deserves the money or not is a matter of opinion]

Published reports of a possible career-threatening injury are erroneous [What's Wheeler's source that these are erroneous?]

The matter is strictly contractual. [Source? Did he speak to Serioux? What are the contract problems? Money? Length? What about the injuries such as the broken elbow?]

There's very little fact in Wheeler's story that could be determined. For all we know it could be 100% wrong or 100% right. I dunno. But the points he uses serve his overall theme or argument. Lots of weasel words there, though. This is awful journalism and would have failed a journalism school assignment. Given the nature of the piece, I'm not inclined to trust Gareth Wheeler has everything right here.

ag futbol
02-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Robinson has been reported on the block by several sources. Dero has been public about his contract situation. So for Wheeler to get from point A to B is not much of a stretch.

Don't be stupid about sourcing every little thing. Do you guys expect him to get someone with inside information each time, put his name in the media and subsequently get him fired? The flip side is he could be full of shit (which given that it's wheeler is possible) but there's enough other evidence floating around to suggest something is up.

So you don't like his last articles or his opinion ... that doesn't preclude him from reporting some things that are true in this case.

TFC Tifoso
02-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Sources are rarely revealed, and are commonly used in any article of speculation.....how many times have trade rumours in hockey (for example) been linked to "sources", and have come true.....

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to reveal your sources.......fair to say they wouldn't be a "source" for you much longer after that.

you guys are making it sound like Wheeler is the first person in the history of journalism to use this word.

Beach_Red
02-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Sources say the club originally told De Rosario he would be the team’s Designated Player before agreeing to come to Toronto last winter.

So, who's his agent? Did DeRo fire him? Did DeRo negotiate the contract on his own? Come on, these people are supposed to be professional. "Promised?" And his agent didn't make it part of the contract?

It sounds like the "source" is his agent trying to get more money for his client.

Whoop
02-04-2010, 04:14 PM
"Sources" isn't a weasel tactic by journalists.

"Sources" are crucial for freedom of speech. "Sources" can be from inside the organization but naturally that person wouldn't want to be revealed.

Lots of major stories around the world would never be broken if not for "sources".

But what rocker has illustrated - or what others were getting at - what Wheeler is reporting in this case, is nothing new.

And as Beach Red states for all we know maybe Wheeler's sources are the agents of the players themselves. Which is very common in sports. Agents try to get their clients more money all the time. From my experience, agents are the biggest gossips around.

TFC Tifoso
02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
"Sources" isn't a weasel tactic by journalists.

"Sources" are crucial for freedom of speech. "Sources" can be from inside the organization but naturally that person wouldn't want to be revealed.

Lots of major stories around the world would never be broken if not for "sources".

But what rocker has illustrated - or what others were getting at - what Wheeler is reporting in this case, is nothing new.

And as Beach Red states for all we know maybe Wheeler's sources are the agents of the players themselves. Which is very common in sports. Agents try to get their clients more money all the time. From my experience, agents are the biggest gossips around.

That much I can buy.....kinda......the Serioux thing is very new, and in Robbo's case, the extent of his situation has never been where its at now.

As far as "sources" go in DeRo's case......well, short of coming out and saying exactly, "I am not happy with my contract" on the Grill Room (we all saw the clip), there is not much more he can say....and that came straight from his mouth.

Regardless of what he signed, or what his agent did/not do, etc., we have our star player who was lied to by the GM, among other things (Robbo/Serioux situation).....if nothing else, articles like this put pressure on Mo, and show that the people that follow this team as supporters and journalists are not idiots, and that accountability for the team starts at the top.....with Mo.

Beach_Red
02-04-2010, 04:34 PM
That much I can buy.....kinda......the Serioux thing is very new, and in Robbo's case, the extent of his situation has never been where its at now.

As far as "sources" go in DeRo's case......well, short of coming out and saying exactly, "I am not happy with my contract" on the Grill Room (we all saw the clip), there is not much more he can say....and that came straight from his mouth.

Regardless of what he signed, or what his agent did/not do, etc., we have our star player who was lied to by the GM, among other things (Robbo/Serioux situation).....if nothing else, articles like this put pressure on Mo, and show that the people that follow this team as supporters and journalists are not idiots, and that accountability for the team starts at the top.....with Mo.

Well, yes, that's the problem. The pressure applied. I don't care who the GM is, I don't want the players running the team and especially not their agents.

"Lied to," sounds so childish. These are grown men, the agent is likely a lawyer who reads contracts for a living and you make it sould like he's some kid who was promised a toy.

"Regardless of what he signed." Really?

TFC Tifoso
02-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Well, yes, that's the problem. The pressure applied. I don't care who the GM is, I don't want the players running the team and especially not their agents.

"Lied to," sounds so childish. These are grown men, the agent is likely a lawyer who reads contracts for a living and you make it sould like he's some kid who was promised a toy.

"Regardless of what he signed." Really?

Neither do I, but what I do want is someone to run this team with integrity and honesty.....Dichio was dicked around by management, and now it seems to be happening again.

Do I think DeRo and/or his agent should've been a little more prudent in making sure whatever "promises" that were made to him by Mo were held to?......sure. But at the same time, it shouldn't be disregarded what was apparently said and "promised" to him.

Whoop
02-04-2010, 04:48 PM
First rule of thumb in being an agent.

Get everything in writing.

But yeah... as much as I hate MO... I beginning to dislike DeRo for making this into a huge issue. He's still in the top 10 in the terms of salary in the MLS. It's not like he's making a pittance.

GBV
02-04-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't see much "fact" in his story.. actually let's break it down. Let's look at the "facts" (things we can say are right or wrong) in his story. And then let's look at where those "facts" come from:

As reported in the Toronto Sun earlier this week, Robinson is on the trade block. [So he's citing his own newspaper]

Whether it’s by his accord or the team’s is not known. It has been suggested the move towards a divorce is mutual. [He doesn't know, and he can't talk to Robinson, but the feeling is mutual according to somebody that suggested something]

From TFC’s standpoint, it wants to shed Robinson’s salary. [is this a fact? What's his source?]

Robinson’s quality is desirable to many teams, but sources say the stumbling block in a potential trade is his salary. [Who are his sources?]

So for the time being, Robinson remains a Red, but is not happy about it. [Is this fact? Wait, Robinson wouldn't talk to Wheeler so how does he know?]

The two-time team MVP reportedly feels disrespected by how the team has handled the situation. [Fact? Robinson wouldn't talk to Wheeler so how does he know? What report did this come from?]

Sources say the club originally told De Rosario he would be the team’s Designated Player before agreeing to come to Toronto last winter. [ahhh.. Sources say.. the classic journalistic weasel word. Who are these sources? De Ro said he asked to leave Houston not that TFC asked him to come here -- that would be tampering.]

Common sense dictates that the team’s leading goal-scorer deserves the money, but the new CBA may not. [Now his source is COMMON SENSE! Can't disagree with common sense! Must be a fact. But wait, whether he deserves the money or not is a matter of opinion]

Published reports of a possible career-threatening injury are erroneous [What's Wheeler's source that these are erroneous?]

The matter is strictly contractual. [Source? Did he speak to Serioux? What are the contract problems? Money? Length? What about the injuries such as the broken elbow?]

There's very little fact in Wheeler's story that could be determined. For all we know it could be 100% wrong or 100% right. I dunno. But the points he uses serve his overall theme or argument. Lots of weasel words there, though. This is awful journalism and would have failed a journalism school assignment. Given the nature of the piece, I'm not inclined to trust Gareth Wheeler has everything right here.

it's a column.
not a news article.

Beach_Red
02-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Neither do I, but what I do want is someone to run this team with integrity and honesty.....Dichio was dicked around by management, and now it seems to be happening again.

Do I think DeRo and/or his agent should've been a little more prudent in making sure whatever "promises" that were made to him by Mo were held to?......sure. But at the same time, it shouldn't be disregarded what was apparently said and "promised" to him.

Apparently.

And without having any inside knowledge at all I disagree with, "Dichio was dicked around." Dichio was an athlete at the end of his career with concussion problems who got a job for life (and remember, it was Mo who encouraged him to get his coaching certificate).

Dichio's agent played it perfectly.

Whoop
02-04-2010, 05:00 PM
The Dichio part... I agree with TFC Tifoso.

TFC Tifoso
02-04-2010, 05:01 PM
First rule of thumb in being an agent.

Get everything in writing.

But yeah... as much as I hate MO... I beginning to dislike DeRo for making this into a huge issue. He's still in the top 10 in the terms of salary in the MLS. It's not like he's making a pittance.

Me too.....not necessary dislike, but more like a WTF, dude?!

There was fault on both sides (DeRo and Mo), but it's not the first time Mo has been put into question, and for me, this clown can't leave town fast enough.

Beach_Red
02-04-2010, 05:09 PM
The Dichio part... I agree with TFC Tifoso.

And you guys may very well be right. But I'm sure you'll admit you're not impartial ;).

TFC Tifoso
02-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Apparently.

And without having any inside knowledge at all I disagree with, "Dichio was dicked around." Dichio was an athlete at the end of his career with concussion problems who got a job for life (and remember, it was Mo who encouraged him to get his coaching certificate).

Dichio's agent played it perfectly.

No, I have no inside knowledge myself, but enough was written about it by people who do to believe the opposite.

TFC Tifoso
02-04-2010, 05:15 PM
And you guys may very well be right. But I'm sure you'll admit you're not impartial ;).

Not because I like Dichio.....but more because I dislike Mo.

I just can't see why if everything went so smoothly, as may be suggested, with his retirement, then how come that aside from a very "vanilla" press conference, not one member of TFC, staff or players, gave a clear story of what happened. And access to the players was denied when the story was developing.

Anyways, its getting off topic here......all I will say is that articles like the one that came out today, show that there is a very real possibility that MoJo is a snake and has no regard for integrity. The day the leaves TFC will be a great day in the history of the team imo.

greatwhitenorf
02-04-2010, 05:32 PM
The Sun has changed sports editors. No idea how it will affect soccer coverage. But outgoing guy, Dave Fuller, is a long-timer there, previously involved in hockey and CFL writing. Perhaps not the best background to be overseeing soccer coverage.