PDA

View Full Version : DeRo out 2-4 Weeks

drewski
02-03-2010, 10:26 AM
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100203&content_id=8013870&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Toronto FC head coach Preki spoke to the media before the players started fitness testing at York University on day three of preseason training. Preki confirmed that Dwayne De Rosario will miss 2-4 weeks of training with a calf strain picked up during international duty with Canada.
Check Toronto FC TV later for Preki's full media scrum and more news from preseason day three.

T.Reis
02-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Atleast he's got grass to play on this year!

Lucky Strike
02-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Fortunately, it's not during the regular season, but unfortunately at the same time, that means it's during pre-season, which is important to set yourself up for the entirety of the season.

Fort York Redcoat
02-03-2010, 10:30 AM
He should be ready to test it out in Charleston. I'll let you know how he looks. Can't wait!!!

SteeltownBhoy
02-03-2010, 10:32 AM
It's a sign!!

F*CK Preki interviews are almost unwatchable.

Wagner
02-03-2010, 10:37 AM
not ideal.
but if De Ro misses February, I don't think it's the end of the world.
He's the player of the decade, he knows how to get himself ready, i'm sure he can be ready for opening day.

stugautz
02-03-2010, 10:40 AM
He just doesn't want to go through training camp. Many players in pro sports have phantom injuries during camp.

colman1860
02-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Where are they at York?!?!

Lucky Strike
02-03-2010, 10:49 AM
It's a sign!!

Too true, it almost makes you miss the "If I'm honest with you..."

rocker
02-03-2010, 11:20 AM
It's a sign!!

Yeah... Preki looks like he'd rather be anywhere but in front of a camera. he also seems like one of those guys who, as the saying goes, "doesn't suffer fools gladly." Probably better not to interview him than to watch him squirm and look away from the camera as he tries not to roll his eyes and say "that's a dumb question." hahah.

Roogsy
02-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I like the fact that Preki doesn't like being in front of the camera. He's not in it for the self-engrandizing or glory, he's here to get a job done.

I am feeling good about this choice for a coach.

I wish DeRo a quick recovery. As long as he is ready for the first game of the season, I am not too worried. That's still 8 weeks away.

mastermixer
02-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Sounds like DeRo probably loafed around for the past couple of months and was not in any condition to play in the Canada match. Still, hope he's fit for season opener.

SteeltownBhoy
02-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Sounds like DeRo probably loafed around for the past couple of months and was not in any condition to play in the Canada match. Still, hope he's fit for season opener.

Exactly

A strain sure sounds like a muscle group that hadn't been worked properly in the off season and then was overworked during the National team camp.

Last thing he needs now is to work on shitty turf at Lamport. Then maybe Lamport turf is not in to bad a shape. I never have played on it, anyone here testify as to the quality of Lamport plastic??

torontocelt
02-03-2010, 12:13 PM

I really cannot believe that national coaches call up players that have not had any preseason, especially when it is a friendly game. It is a recipe for disaster and not good for players, Preki must be seething. They really need to have a look at that in North American football.

Wooster_TFC
02-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Ummm, you guys do realize that he hurt himself in the training camp leading up to the friendly, not in the friendly itself right? He wasn't even dressed for it (same goes for Will Johnson).

Things happen in training...

DurhamAthletic1
02-03-2010, 01:37 PM
i saw coach preki on the pregame for the raps game, he seemed pretty confident and really happy to be here in toronto. he also loves basketball.

torontocelt
02-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Ummm, you guys do realize that he hurt himself in the training camp leading up to the friendly, not in the friendly itself right? He wasn't even dressed for it (same goes for Will Johnson).

Things happen in training...

Regardless of whether he was hurt in training or in a match which I understand he wasn't, I still feel that coaches should not be allowed to call up players that have not under gone any preseason. Preaseason is all about getting the player physically and mentally right to play a season and it is carried out over quite a long period of time to do this. It is an essential part of getting a player not only match fit but season fit. To deprive a player of this and call him up for a friendly match is irresponsible. That is my take on it anyway.

SoccMan
02-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Preki was a basketball player until about age 14, it wasn't until he was about 14 that he decided to concentrate on soccer, but up until then he was a pretty good basketball player I hear. In terms of Lamport's turf, it is pretty new, I think it was put down a couple of season's back.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-03-2010, 09:40 PM
I like the fact that Preki doesn't like being in front of the camera. He's not in it for the self-engrandizing or glory, he's here to get a job done.

im with ya on this one, couldnt care less about his character in interviews, christ look at wenger and ferguson (hell of a comparison i know but you get what im saying)

Hitcho
02-03-2010, 10:12 PM

I know WInsper has gone, but he kept the players fit through the off season by giving them personalized training schedules to keep their levels up. I doubt that went out the window just because Windy did. De Ro may not have been match fit but he doesn't strike me as the kind of professional that would loaf around for 2 months.

Still, annoying as fuck that he got injured on national duty. at least it's pre-season though and he can catch up.

Wooster_TFC
02-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Regardless of whether he was hurt in training or in a match which I understand he wasn't, I still feel that coaches should not be allowed to call up players that have not under gone any preseason. Preaseason is all about getting the player physically and mentally right to play a season and it is carried out over quite a long period of time to do this. It is an essential part of getting a player not only match fit but season fit. To deprive a player of this and call him up for a friendly match is irresponsible. That is my take on it anyway.

I don't know what Hart was doing at the camp for the 2 weeks prior to the friendly, but I highly doubt that he was running a camp that assumed the players were fit already, considering the majority of his team were in the off-season.

It's one thing if he had been called up for a friendly, have him show up a couple days in advance and put him through the paces when he's on his off-season, it's quite another to have a 2 week camp leading up to the friendly.

Injuries happen. To be honest, I'm much happier it happened now than 2 weeks into TFC's training camp, because it means we get DeRo back sooner.

bgnewf
02-04-2010, 08:57 AM
The big question that I have about DeRo is why he felt that on media day, the day that he is supposed to make himself available to the press, that he was not going to talk at all.

Gareth Wheeler I think has it right. Last fall DeRo said he was given assurances by Mo about his contract status vis a vis him being a DP and now we have a DP and it's not DeRo. I said it then and I will say it now, this prospect really worries me. I think that the promises made by Mo to DeRo are now not being fulfilled (for right or wrong) and he is now sulking about it. There is no excuse for him not to talk to the press on media day unless he is pissed off and unsettled.

Why oh why do we seem to always have all this drama with this club???

rocker
02-04-2010, 11:05 AM
It's only drama if De Ro makes it drama. If he shuts up and plays hard and enjoys his $425,000 USD, it doesn't matter.

Roogsy
02-04-2010, 11:07 AM
It's only drama if De Ro makes it drama. If he shuts up and plays hard and enjoys his $425,000 USD, it doesn't matter.

I never understood this point of view. So Mo has no blame at all in any of this?

pekduck
02-04-2010, 11:08 AM
I never understood this point of view. So Mo has no blame at all in any of this?

I think he meant to do that as a coping technique and move on.

There is no end to bickering and it does not help the psychological game play perspective.

Roogsy
02-04-2010, 11:12 AM
And yet that doesn't resolve the contract issue, puts no pressure on Mo and in fact relieves the attention from him. It's exactly what Mo wants and exactly what he does not deserve. I know you guys are upset with DeRo for speaking out...but demanding that he "take it" is not going to fly nor should it. If you really want DeRo to shut up, we need to put pressure on Mo to either sort things out or leave already. I am tired of the drama that always and consistently sorrounds Mo.

We need to look at the underlying causes of these symptoms that are ailing TFC, not continuously try to cover the symptoms over.

rocker
02-04-2010, 11:12 AM

Dude, we had a loooong thread on this.... you're still wondering my opinion? hahah.

I said De Ro needs to shut up. remember? We already hashed out the various opinions on this topic.

Roogsy
02-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Dude, we had a loooong thread on this.... you're still wondering my opinion? hahah.

I said De Ro needs to shut up. remember? We already hashed out the various opinions on this topic.

I don't recall that thread...:lol: