PDA

View Full Version : Manchester United coming to BMO in the summer?

Pages : [1] 2

MUFC_Niagara
01-31-2010, 01:37 PM
http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=glazer-fury-fans-on-way-to-the-usa&method=full&objectid=22007978&siteid=93463-name_page.html

Apparently United's summer tour will take them America and Canada.

MUFC_Niagara
01-31-2010, 01:38 PM
31 January 2010

Glazer fury fans on way to the USA

EXCLUSIVE
Steve Bates

Manchester United fans can take their anti-Glazer protests right to the doorstep of their American owners this summer - when the champions tour the US for the first time in five years.
United will play in Chicago, New York and Toronto in July and more destinations will be announced in the coming weeks.
And that will give fans who have reacted with fury to the financial meltdown at Old Trafford the chance to take their protests across the Atlantic.

The Glazer family, who have saddled United with debts of £711million and interest payments of more than £60m a year, also own the Tampa Bay Bucaneers American football team.

United have never visited Florida since being taken over by the Glazer family - but it is unlikely that will happen this summer.

That would be too close to home for the Glazer family who are public enemy number one among United supporters.

Fans groups have already staged protests and called for the Glazers to sell the club and more demonstrations against the American owners are planned.

Many fans have shown their disdain for the Glazers by wearing green and yellow shirts and scarves - the original colours of United when they first formed as Newton Heath in 1878.

The tour is in the final planning stage but it is understood United will also play in Canada for the first time, with Toronto the likely destination.

Pigfynn
01-31-2010, 01:42 PM
^Probably to play someone else though right? and even if it is us it will cost a fortune :(

Problably won't stop you or Shags though eh?

Ladies Love Julius James
01-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Saving money as we speak.

BC101
01-31-2010, 01:43 PM
^Probably to play someone else though right? and even if it is us it will cost a fortune :(

or me.

MUFC_Niagara
01-31-2010, 01:45 PM

I'd pay anything to go.....anything.

TFCtoMUFC
01-31-2010, 01:46 PM

I have a few expendable limbs, so I am on the anything boat.

Pigfynn
01-31-2010, 01:46 PM
^^Shhhhhh you know THEY are watching and will take you up on the anything promise.

Ya, almost forgot you too Brit! I may go and sit with the TFC supporters! lol

tfcmanu
01-31-2010, 01:47 PM
BRING IT!!!! :flare:

BC101
01-31-2010, 01:48 PM
you said it friend.

^^Shhhhhh you know THEY are watching and will take you up on the anything promise.

I'd be in my normal 112 seat in all United gear and well yeah thats it... It'd be legendary. I MAY OR MAY not run onto the pitch.

TFCtoMUFC
01-31-2010, 01:48 PM

Come on, I don't NEED my left arm.

OneLoveOneEric
01-31-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I could live on with one nut.....

Ladies Love Julius James
01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
I can do without alcohol for a few months.

TFCtoMUFC
01-31-2010, 01:52 PM
I could sell my hair!

BC101
01-31-2010, 01:55 PM
dudes... United...... IN TORONTO in our backyard............. MAYBE BMO field(Probably skydome) this is the next level if it happens.

T0R0NT0 FC
01-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Edu -> Grass -> Manchester United = AWESOME!!!! :D

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-31-2010, 02:08 PM
This was rumoured on the V's board a few days ago, I didn't take it too seriously. I really hope that play TFC at BMO.

BC101
01-31-2010, 02:09 PM
This was rumoured on the V's board a few days ago, I didn't take it too seriously. I really hope that play TFC at BMO.
you dunno how bad i want this to happen too.

TFC07
01-31-2010, 02:12 PM
LOL @ people who are against TFC playing friendlies against European clubs.

I hope this does happen!

James Oliphant
01-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Selling my car now.

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-31-2010, 02:17 PM
I could live with the same pricing as the Real Madrid game, pricey indeed but nothing I need cash in a retirement plan for.

JonO
01-31-2010, 02:32 PM
LOL @ people who are against TFC playing friendlies against European clubs.

I hope this does happen!
Odds of them playing TFC are slim... It's probably going to be in Skydome against another Euro team. Regardless. I'll be there...

BC101
01-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Odds of them playing TFC are slim... It's probably going to be in Skydome against another Euro team. Regardless. I'll be there...
that champions tour thingy... Yeah I figure its that as well.. FUCK i wish its against TFC just so we can get first dibs at tix(STH's)

JonO
01-31-2010, 02:37 PM
^^^ That would be nice :D

BC101
01-31-2010, 02:38 PM
iam saying this on the record to MLSE do this up for us i'll pay the 150$ or whatever charges you had for RM just do it up so I can get first shot at tix LOL.

Brooker
01-31-2010, 02:40 PM
I'd bet my next paycheque that it's going to be at Skydome

James Oliphant
01-31-2010, 02:41 PM
iam saying this on the record to MLSE do this up for us i'll pay the 150$ or whatever charges you had for RM just do it up so I can get first shot at tix LOL.

Seconded.

v00d00daddy
01-31-2010, 02:41 PM
I'd love to see them. I'll hold out hope that it will be at BMO against TFC.

I mean, if they can get Real Madrid to come just after they signed Kaka and Ronaldo AND work it so that they have to play, I think they can do the same for ManU. Not to mention getting to see Raul.

I really hope this happens.

werewolf
01-31-2010, 02:42 PM

If that was the case, I might consider going, depending on date and prices.

v00d00daddy
01-31-2010, 02:43 PM
On another (flaming Lol) note....I think those who boycotted RM due to the prices should not be afforded the opportunity to see ManU if the prices are the same.

JonO
01-31-2010, 02:44 PM
^^^ I don't think they would, no?

James Oliphant
01-31-2010, 02:44 PM
On another (flaming Lol) note....I think those who boycotted RM due to the prices should not be afforded the opportunity to see ManU if the prices are the same.

I didn't "boycott" Real...I simply passed on the opportunity as it was a team I'm not interested in...especially not for $150.

Having been a United supporter for the better part of three decades, I won't miss this opportunity.

BC101
01-31-2010, 02:46 PM
I didn't "boycott" Real...I simply passed on the opportunity as it was a team I'm not interested in...especially not for $150.

Having been a United supporter for the better part of three decades, I won't miss this opportunity.
I didn't go cos I hate RM LOL... Much like i doubt we'll be seeing Exiled Red, Techno, KD, Raging Reggie, Juan Sanchez at the United match cos they hate United.

BC101
01-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Yeah maybe...but at the time it didn't sound like people didn't want to go because they "hate" Real Madrid.

People complained about the pricing and now it doesn't seem to be an issue. Hypocrisy.

Whatever...I'll be there in my seat if I get the opportunity.
I dunno you or anything but if you've followed my comments to some degree my hate of RM is actually well renowned on this board. Or atleast it was.. If that reputation has gone down then I apologize and I'll pipe up more just to set the record straight.

I WAS gonna go to Boo/Hiss at Ronnie but then I was like "i knew this was coming for a year or more so iam not bitter at him anymore"..

I DO REMEMBER saying at the time though that if United played here this year I would pay 150$... so I didn't complain about the price certainly. I just hate RM LOL I can't reiterate this enough. I categorically hate Real Madrid.

werewolf
01-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah maybe...but at the time it didn't sound like people didn't want to go because they "hate" Real Madrid.

People complained about the pricing and now it doesn't seem to be an issue. Hypocrisy.

Whatever...I'll be there in my seat if I get the opportunity.

If manchester red are playing at Skydome against another European team, those are vastly different circumstances then RMadrid.

v00d00daddy
01-31-2010, 03:04 PM
I dunno you or anything but if you've followed my comments to some degree my hate of RM is actually well renowned on this board. Or atleast it was.. If that reputation has gone down then I apologize and I'll pipe up more just to set the record straight.

I WAS gonna go to Boo/Hiss at Ronnie but then I was like "i knew this was coming for a year or more so iam not bitter at him anymore"..

I DO REMEMBER saying at the time though that if United played here this year I would pay 150$... so I didn't complain about the price certainly. I just hate RM LOL I can't reiterate this enough. I categorically hate Real Madrid.

I didn't really know that you hate Real Madrid, that's fine.

I just don't get why anyone who loves soccer would pass up seeing guys like Ronaldo, Kaka, and Raul play against TFC in a 25000 seat stadium.

Regardless of who you hate. I hate Inter as much as the next guy but I wouldn't pass up watching them play TFC at BMO. What does hate or rivalry have to do with anything when they're playing a friendly on the other side of the ocean, against your home team?

I said it then, and it will come true if ManU comes to BMO this summer:

Had it been ManU or Liverpool coming to BMO to play last summer there would have been exponentially less talk about how MLSE screwed people over, and how it sucks that the schedule was changed to accomodate the game.

If ManU comes this summer it will be great....just like it was when Real was here

BC101
01-31-2010, 03:07 PM
I didn't really know that you hate Real Madrid, that's fine.

I just don't get why anyone who loves soccer would pass up seeing guys like Ronaldo, Kaka, and Raul play against TFC in a 25000 seat stadium.

Regardless of who you hate. I hate Inter as much as the next guy but I wouldn't pass up watching them play TFC at BMO. What does hate or rivalry have to do with anything when they're playing a friendly on the other side of the ocean, against your home team?

I said it then, and it will come true if ManU comes to BMO this summer:

Had it been ManU or Liverpool coming to BMO to play last summer there would have been exponentially less talk about how MLSE screwed people over, and how it sucks that the schedule was changed to accomodate the game.

If ManU comes this summer it will be great....just like it was when Real was here
I would agree with this but i've seen RM IRL before like in CL matches vs United so it wouldn't be a new thing to me. I Just REALLY dislike RM. I think they are my most hated team. YES even more than Liverpool. Dont get me wrong i watched the match on Telly (RM Put on a free clinic) but that was good enough for me.

JonO
01-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Say what you will, there are very few teams I am willing to spend that kind of money to watch jog around the field. I didn't "boycott" the game - I chose not to go.

v00d00daddy
01-31-2010, 03:12 PM
I would agree with this but i've seen RM IRL before like in CL matches vs United so it wouldn't be a new thing to me. I Just REALLY dislike RM. I think they are my most hated team. YES even more than Liverpool. Dont get me wrong i watched the match on Telly (RM Put on a free clinic) but that was good enough for me.

Fair enough.

werewolf
01-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Are you familiar with the reasoning behind boycotting the game, or is this just a rant?

JonO
01-31-2010, 03:23 PM
^ I'm still trying to figure out what is hypocritical? The poll simply asks who going and most people said they weren't. If more people go to Man Utd, it's simply because they're more popular.

Point me to a poll that says that many people would not go to any friendly at that price and then I'll agree with you...

koryo
01-31-2010, 03:24 PM
Here's a very easy way to illustrate what I'm trying to say.

Take a look at this thread, and most specifially the poll:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14292&highlight=real+madrid

Now...lets say that ManU are coming this summer (just a rumor, I know) and lets say that the tickets will be expensive (like RM) and that it is scheduled right in the middle of an already congested schedule for TFC (like RM).

Do you really think that we will see such an overwhelming (3 out of 4 people) number of people saying that they won't go?

That's the hypocrisy that bothers me.

How is it hypocritical that an individual won't pay to see a team they don't like, but will pay to see a team they follow or are at least indifferent to?

As for RM last year and ManU this year, it's fair to suggest that people will spend their money how they see fit - regardless of the big names involved.

I don't get why you don't get that.

RedsYNWA
01-31-2010, 03:30 PM
Don't worry boys if Man U comes to town my tix are up for sale

James Oliphant
01-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Are you familiar with the reasoning behind boycotting the game, or is this just a rant?

Moreover, are you certain more people may be willing to paythe price (which hasn't been set yet) to see a team (which hasn't confirmed it's coming) play another team (which hasn't even been hinted at) at a venue (which is yet to be determined) in Toronto (which may not be the host city) than were willing to drop three bills for a pair of Real/TFC tickets?

If so, v00d00daddy, can you tell me which lottery numbers I should play next week?

v00d00daddy
01-31-2010, 03:39 PM

Yes...I think. lol. The re-scheduling of the NYRB game (which left a lot of road trippers high and dry) and the "loyalty" pricing.

^ I'm still trying to figure out what is hypocritical? The poll simply asks who going and most people said they weren't. If more people go to Man Utd, it's simply because they're more popular.

Point me to a poll that says that many people would not go to any friendly at that price and then I'll agree with you...

Read the posts in that thread. Very little talk about not wanting to see RM because they're not liked. Vast majority is about getting raped on the price of the tickets and the shitty way it was scheduled.

How is it hypocritical that an individual won't pay to see a team they don't like, but will pay to see a team they follow or are at least indifferent to?

As for RM last year and ManU this year, it's fair to suggest that people will spend their money how they see fit - regardless of the big names involved.

I don't get why you don't get that.

See my reply to the previous comment.

Hate to break it to you guys but if ManU come to BMO to play TFC two things are certain:

a) It's going to cost a shitload for your seat in the south end (probably more than RM)

b) It's going to be scheduled right in the middle of the MLS season (just like Real Madrid)

The only thing that may be different is that they probably won't have to re-schedule a game like they did with the NYRB game.

MrHawk
01-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Clang clang clang went the trolleys
Zing zing zing went the bells.

James Oliphant
01-31-2010, 03:41 PM
v00d00daddy has one of these...

http://www.flashpointdevelopment.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

MrHawk
01-31-2010, 03:42 PM

Hate to break it to you guys but if ManU come to BMO to play TFC two things are certain:

a) It's going to cost a shitload for your seat in the south end (probably more than RM)

b) It's going to be scheduled right in the middle of the MLS season (just like Real Madrid)

The only thing that may be different is that they probably won't have to re-schedule a game like they did with the NYRB game.

Which to the die hard United faithful, is worth every single penny, and THEN some.

JonO
01-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Read the posts in that thread. Very little talk about not wanting to see RM because they're not liked. Vast majority is about getting raped on the price of the tickets and the shitty way it was scheduled.

And that's my point - those who see it as a high price to RM, may not see it that way for MU. It's not a boycott - just a decision. Anyway, I better get back to work, so I can enjoy some of the weekend...

v00d00daddy
01-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Moreover, are you certain more people may be willing to paythe price (which hasn't been set yet) to see a team (which hasn't confirmed it's coming) play another team (which hasn't even been hinted at) at a venue (which is yet to be determined) in Toronto (which may not be the host city) than were willing to drop three bills for a pair of Real/TFC tickets?

If so, v00d00daddy, can you tell me which lottery numbers I should play next week?

You're right. It's all up in the air right now.

That being said....I'm quite confident that:

IF it's ManU coming this summer and
IF they're going to play at BMO and
IF it's going to be against TFC

then yes......many more people here will happily pay for the tickets.

I know that's a lot of if's but this whole thread was created on an "if/maybe", so my comments fit right in.

As for the lotto numbers....if I knew...I'd tell you. Honest :D

Derko
01-31-2010, 03:46 PM
If true then I must go, as it would break my Dad's heart for me not to go.

v00d00daddy
01-31-2010, 03:50 PM
v00d00daddy has one of these...

http://www.flashpointdevelopment.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Oh how clever.

Fine....I'm jumping to conclusions about what would happen if ManU came.

What's your point?

Try to refute what I'm saying about how it will be recieved in comparision to the Real Madrid game.

That's all I was talking about.

But if you don't want to (or can't) that's fine, just go back to making your little jokes instead.

James Oliphant
01-31-2010, 03:53 PM
The point is that you see something as hypocritical based on, by my calculations, exactly nothing.

koryo
01-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes...I think. lol. The re-scheduling of the NYRB game (which left a lot of road trippers high and dry) and the "loyalty" pricing.

Right on both counts.

At the end of the day, you'll probably see less of the boycott sentiment if a game isn't re-scheduled. I think last year's frustration was with the circumstances of having the league game switched. That RM was the reason was the reason this happened is, to me, by the by. I ended up missing that re-scheduled league game (as plans for go out of town were set in stone) so I was fairly pissed at the time. The price really only added fuel to the fire.

Having said that, I'm not going this year because the price will be too high! :)

v00d00daddy
01-31-2010, 04:02 PM
The point is that you see something as hypocritical based on, by my calculations, exactly nothing.

Fair enough....if/when it happens...shall we re-hash this thread?

BTW...the mere fact that people who bitched about last years Real game have already gone on record saying that they would pay anything to see ManU here is not exactly nothing. Including yourself.

MrHawk
01-31-2010, 04:05 PM
Right on both counts.

At the end of the day, you'll probably see less of the boycott sentiment if a game isn't re-scheduled. I think last year's frustration was with the circumstances of having the league game switched. That RM was the reason was the reason this happened is, to me, by the by. I ended up missing that re-scheduled league game (as plans for go out of town were set in stone) so I was fairly pissed at the time. The price really only added fuel to the fire.

Having said that, I'm not going this year because the price will be too high! :)

I remember one of the main reasons was MLS wouldn't reschedule a game cause our entire roster pretty much was on Intl Duty...........but they did for this game.

I think people will be equally as pissed (Esp United haterade drinkers) should the same happen this year, if not more.

TFC07
01-31-2010, 04:05 PM
Any word coming outta TFC FO about this?

James Oliphant
01-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Fair enough....if/when it happens...shall we re-hash this thread?

BTW...the mere fact that people who bitched about last years Real game have already gone on record saying that they would pay anything to see ManU here is not exactly nothing. Including yourself.

I never once said I'd pay anything to see United play. If you're referencing my "selling my car" post, I'd call into question your ability to see the humour in hyperbole.

koryo
01-31-2010, 04:08 PM
I remember one of the main reasons was MLS wouldn't reschedule a game cause our entire roster pretty much was on Intl Duty...........but they did for this game.

I think people will be equally as pissed (Esp United haterade drinkers) should the same happen this year, if not more.

That's right. We had to bring in a fellow from the Lynx, as well dress one of our scouts. They would not reschedule the game for us. But then the league turned around and forced a reschedule for RM.

Now THAT was hypocritical.

v00d00daddy
01-31-2010, 04:13 PM

Seconded.

Actually I was talking about this.

koryo
01-31-2010, 04:21 PM

Right, but I'm saying that the issue last year wasn't just the price. At least not for me.

Anywho, have fun in this thread. Let me know how it turns out.

PS: Hawk, thanks for reminding me about that game MLS wouldn't re-schedule in 2008. Now I'm pissed off again.

There's that... the backpass ruled offside in the 2007 Gold Cup... the hand of god in 86... dammit!!!!

:)

James Oliphant
01-31-2010, 04:22 PM

Yeah...and paying $150 isn't "paying anything"...it's the equivalent of what Real Madrid - a team I have almost no interest in seeing in the first place - tickets were going for.

$150 for my team, which I've never had the privilege of seeing live before in my life but have been following for, as I said, about 30 years (I'm 33) in an intimate setting like BMO Field if that does happen to be the venue? I'm all for it.

SilverSamurai
01-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Interested but not sure if I'd actually go to it.
As long as they have it online I'd be content.

Now if they play at Skydome and the tickets are $50-60 then I'd likely bite, but at BMO, they're likely not going to be anywhere near that price :(

TFCtoMUFC
01-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Yeah...and paying $150 isn't "paying anything"...it's the equivalent of what Real Madrid - a team I have almost no interest in seeing in the first place - tickets were going for.

$150 for my team, which I've never had the privilege of seeing live before in my life but have been following for, as I said, about 30 years (I'm 33) in an intimate setting like BMO Field if that does happen to be the venue? I'm all for it.

+1, except divide the age in half basically.

deschamp86
01-31-2010, 05:07 PM
What are the chances we could swap Rooney with Barrett without them noticing? haha

Darlofletch
01-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Definitely won't be going myself, even if the was the carlberg cup friendly included in the season ticket (not even the tiniest chance of that I know).

I hope it's against some other big team so it doesn't affect tfc at all, but if we are playing them, if the madrid game is anything to go by, I'm going to have to cancel my goltv subscription to avoid shooting my tv with all the media circus fawning hype there'll be for it.

JuliquE
01-31-2010, 05:17 PM
What are the chances we could swap Rooney with Barrett without them noticing? haha
They simply MUST have a photo opp., should this go down - work it in, for shits and giggles! :D

Tschuess.

shaggingscot
01-31-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm all for this.....I just know I can get some plastic to buy the tickets for an arm and a leg and pay for my season in one fell swoop!

MUFC_Niagara
01-31-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm all for this.....I just know I can get some plastic to buy the tickets for an arm and a leg and pay for my season in one fell swoop!

I'll gladly take them.....and if you sell them on here i'll get tham at face value!

TFC Cityboy
01-31-2010, 05:47 PM
I think I'll head out of town if this happens as I cannot be trusted among the red hoards

MUFC_Niagara
01-31-2010, 05:48 PM
I think I'll head out of town if this happens as I cannot be trusted among the red hoards

Maybe you should wear the sky blue :)

TFC Cityboy
01-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Maybe you should wear the sky blue :)
my point entirely!! It'd be a great event if it happens for you lot.
Given the financial situation at united, plans may be last minute tho so they can get a last minute flight deal.

billyfly
01-31-2010, 06:24 PM
I don;t know if I can believe this. United? In Toronto?

Brooker
01-31-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure why voodoodaddy is playing the hypocrisy card...

Manchester United is a bigger draw than Real Madrid so I don't see how he could be surprised by people on here being less against an expensive friendly when it's a bigger team.

personally, this is another friendly that I really don't care about and will not be attending.... unless it's at the Skydome which I think it most likely will be.

drewski
01-31-2010, 06:40 PM
I'll gladly take them.....and if you sell them on here i'll get tham at face value!

we should get a list going of us people willing to buy.

like I said in the united thread, I'd have a first kid just so I could sell it for tickets!

TFC_Junky
01-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Holy crap! This would be amazing!!! I can't wait to see Giggs on our pitch! Amazing!

drewski
01-31-2010, 07:03 PM
this is gonna be tough decision...who's jersey to wear to the game

SoccMan
01-31-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm not a RM fan, my team is Inter,however, I would have gone to see the RM vs. TFC but I didn't not because of the fact that I'm not a RM fan but because at the time last summer I just could not pay the money that they were asking for tickets. However, if your a soccer fan who lives here in Canada and a team comes to town with some of the best players in the game and you can afford it and have the time to go why would you not go to see a team with the kind of players a team like RM came to town with regardless if your a fan of the team. I would have gone just to see these star players play live in front of me at my home club's ground. I think in theses circumstances you go see these star players play if you can, regardless if your a fan of the team they play on.

TFC_Junky
01-31-2010, 07:23 PM
this is gonna be tough decision...who's jersey to wear to the game

Easy, MUFC jersey with TFC Hat and scarf!! ROLF!!!

TFC_Junky
01-31-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't care what the price is, Roy Keane and MUFC were my introduction to football and I'd give almost anything to see my first reds play my second reds!

drewski
01-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Easy, MUFC jersey with TFC Hat and scarf!! ROLF!!!

didn't mean team, meant which PLAYER's kit to wear, Berba, Rooney, Giggs, (insert new transfer here) :D:D:D

Brooker
01-31-2010, 07:32 PM
How does that work, anyways? Do you cheer for a 2-2 tie?

jabbronies
01-31-2010, 07:34 PM
fucking right!!! I'm am there!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-31-2010, 07:36 PM
I dont care..how much.......Im there!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-31-2010, 07:40 PM

you might be right........

BC101
01-31-2010, 07:52 PM
How does that work, anyways? Do you cheer for a 2-2 tie?
nope 8-0 United win.

TFC_Junky
01-31-2010, 08:00 PM
didn't mean team, meant which PLAYER's kit to wear, Berba, Rooney, Giggs, (insert new transfer here) :D:D:D

Schmeichel's 1998/1999 keeper jersey. Unfortunately I don't have 1 or the name on it... :flare:

Chevy
01-31-2010, 08:06 PM

Also, is there anyone on that club that even looks REMOTELY like Nick Garcia? Even if it's the cook it's worth a try...

TFCtoMUFC
01-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Schmeichel's 1998 keeper jersey. Unfortunately I don't have 1 or the name on it... :flare:

Schmeichel, Park, Rooney, Solskjaer, Cantona, Scholes.....hmmm

RedWookie
01-31-2010, 08:16 PM
I'd hit up that match

torontocelt
01-31-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure why voodoodaddy is playing the hypocrisy card...

Manchester United is a bigger draw than Real Madrid so I don't see how he could be surprised by people on here being less against an expensive friendly when it's a bigger team.

personally, this is another friendly that I really don't care about and will not be attending.... unless it's at the Skydome which I think it most likely will be.

Whether or not man u is a bigger team is debatable. Do they have more fans throughout the world? Yes they do. Has man u won anywhere near the amount of european cups as real,? No, not at all, not even close. Real have dominated europe to a far higher degree than man u and they have also dominated their own league more than man u has dominated england. From a success on the football pitch point of view man u is very much lacking when compared to real although man u are obviously a fantastic club with a great history. Real have also picked up more world championships than man u, obviously they have appeared in more of these games though.

Even from a financial point of view man u cannot go and buy the players that real can, real think nothing of dropping hundreds of millions of pounds in one season and if they want a player they pretty much go and get him. Furthermore there have been many players who have had their head turned by real when they have either played for man u or have been courted by both, many of the big time players have picked real over man u.

Its also worth pointing out that real have the bigger stadium. With regards to finances according to wiki in 2007/2008 real had the greatest revenue out of any football club in the world, I actually thought it would have been man u but apparently not. Man u is the most valuable club in the world though but they have massive debts, way more than Real.

Both are massive clubs, no doubt, but I would dispute that Man U is a bigger club than Real.

Lastly I would go and see man u just like I went to see real last year, hopefully it wont cost as much though. The chance to see Giggs, Scholes and Rooney is not one i would want to miss. Giggs and Scholes will be gone soon and then you will never get to see them play, they are without doubt a couple of legends.

brad
01-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Nice rumor this is. Hope it's for real.

James Oliphant
01-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Both are massive clubs, no doubt, but I would dispute that Man U is a bigger club than Real.

I suppose that's why he said "bigger draw" and not "bigger team".

TFCUNITED
01-31-2010, 08:36 PM
If they do come, I would love to go see them.

Oldtimer
01-31-2010, 08:40 PM

Let's hope that it wasn't originally based on overhearing that "United" is coming to America/Canada, and then it turns out it's Newcastle United. :lol:

Gixmo
01-31-2010, 08:40 PM
This could be an interesting catch-22

I'm watching this one closely...

ArmenJBX
01-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Guess that's my summer blockbuster gone...

Bring Chelsea, enough of this Manchester nonsense.

MUFC_Niagara
01-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Guess that's my summer blockbuster gone...

Bring Chelsea, enough of this Manchester nonsense.

Well, if Chelsea comes i'll make sure NOT to bring my wife. I would suggest others do the same.

Marco2K
01-31-2010, 09:25 PM
how can anyone say Manchester is bigger then Real Madrid?

Come on.

Should be great anyways.

Great to see TOP TEAMS coming to toronto.

Hopefully vs Chelsea..lol

Ladies Love Julius James
01-31-2010, 09:51 PM
What do you mean by big? Value?

Since the late 1990s, the club has been one of the richest in the world with the highest revenue of any football club,[5] (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/#cite_note-4) and is currently ranked as the richest and most valuable club in any sport worldwide, with an estimated value of around £ (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Pound_sterling)1.136 billion (€ (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Euro)1.319 billion / $ (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/United_States_dollar)1.870 billion) as of April 2009

That's United.

Brooker
01-31-2010, 10:04 PM

+1. danke.

Marco2K
01-31-2010, 10:06 PM
hey i dont want to argue this. But i think that Real Madrid is the bigger WORLD Wide Club. I guess the we will see how much they pay for MAN u compared the Real madrid. that should be the deciding factor.

torontocelt
01-31-2010, 10:06 PM

'Manchester United is a bigger draw than Real Madrid so I don't see how he could be surprised by people on here being less against an expensive friendly when it's a bigger team.'

He actually says bigger draw and bigger team.

torontocelt
01-31-2010, 10:07 PM
+1. danke.

But you say bigger draw and bigger team in the same sentence?

torontocelt
01-31-2010, 10:12 PM
What do you mean by big? Value?

Since the late 1990s, the club has been one of the richest in the world with the highest revenue of any football club,[5] (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/#cite_note-4) and is currently ranked as the richest and most valuable club in any sport worldwide, with an estimated value of around £ (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Pound_sterling)1.136 billion (€ (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Euro)1.319 billion / $ (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/United_States_dollar)1.870 billion) as of April 2009

That's United.

I touched on value and acknowledged what you say but I was trying to take into accounts all aspects of a club outside of just value.

torontocelt
01-31-2010, 10:17 PM
hey i dont want to argue this. But i think that Real Madrid is the bigger WORLD Wide Club. I guess the we will see how much they pay for MAN u compared the Real madrid. that should be the deciding factor.

How big either team is wont be determined by how much tfc or whoever is organizing this pays for man u to play in Toronto.

Hitcho
01-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Ah crap - keep that filth off the new grass please! :D

SvenFlu
02-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Funny story....

I saw Man United play a friendly against Bayern Munich in Chicago back in 2004. The game itself was pretty boring. Ended up 0-0 with Bayern winning on penalties. It just so happened that 18-year old Jonathan Spector was making his debut for Man United in front of his hometown.

My girlfriend and I were really excited because we got lucky and were able to get seats in the second row. Now for some reason, these three people sitting behind us (two men and a woman) kept yelling and screaming every time Spector touched the ball. I mean screaming so loud it was getting to a point of annoyance and and upsetting my girlfriend. I eventually told one of the guys to shut-up the F up. The guy looked at me and said, "I coached him when he was little....that's my nephew." And it turned out that the other man and woman were his parents. Fuck, I felt so embarrassed that I apologized profusely and bought the Spector's a round of beers :o

He came over to our section at the end of the game and I ended up shaking his hand. I didn't tell him that I cursed out his parents though. :D

Huyton
02-01-2010, 12:51 AM
I sat in the stands and cheered for the Blizzard when Juventus came to town. I just may have been the only one who was!

I can do it again...cheer for Toronto when ManU come to town.

I completely understand how United fans feel, though. I got a chance to see my beloved Liverpool play here in 2004 (I've been a supporter since they were in the old 2nd Division). Little did we know that we were watching a game between the 2004 and 2005 Champions League Winners!

As for who those with divided loyalties should cheer for...perhaps take a leaf from Pele when the Cosmos played Santos...he played half the game for each team.

Super Cereal
02-01-2010, 02:11 AM
hey i dont want to argue this. But i think that Real Madrid is the bigger WORLD Wide Club.
Seriously? I think Manchester United is bigger by far.

ForestGlade
02-01-2010, 02:23 AM
Boy for sale! Boy for sale!

I hope this isn't the first cocktease of the decade

torontocelt
02-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Seriously? I think Manchester United is bigger by far.

Do you watch football outside of the premiership because there is no way you would feel man u are 'bigger by far' than Real. A big part of Man United success is due to how well the premiership is marketed and sold world wide, it has helped them gain more fans throughout the world. La Liga I would say is not marketed as well but if people know anything about football they will know also about how big a club Real Madrid is.

anto7
02-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Just a word of caution for everyone, remember this is World Cup year and the final is on July 11th. There is a very good chance that if United do come here in July they will not bring any of their stars who feature in the World Cup. I have been to see United on their last 2 US tours, the first in New York against Juventus they fielded their full starting line up and thrashed Juve 4-1, amazing experience in front of 84,000 people at Giants stadium. The following year we went back to the Meadowlands to see them play AC Milan, I was extremely disappointed to find out that none of the big names were playing. It was still a cool game experience but I felt a little cheated after driving all that way and paying a lot of money for the ticket to see a line up of mostly unknown kids.

Joe Kool
02-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Just a word of caution for everyone, remember this is World Cup year and the final is on July 11th. There is a very good chance that if United do come here in July they will not bring any of their stars who feature in the World Cup. I have been to see United on their last 2 US tours, the first in New York against Juventus they fielded their full starting line up and thrashed Juve 4-1, amazing experience in front of 84,000 people at Giants stadium. The following year we went back to the Meadowlands to see them play AC Milan, I was extremely disappointed to find out that none of the big names were playing. It was still a cool game experience but I felt a little cheated after driving all that way and paying a lot of money for the ticket to see a line up of mostly unknown kids.

Last year they had a clause in the contract that stated unless injured, RM had to play all of their big guns for at least one half. I hope they make that clause again because that is what made me feel safer about the big purchase.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Do you watch football outside of the premiership because there is no way you would feel man u are 'bigger by far' than Real. A big part of Man United success is due to how well the premiership is marketed and sold world wide, it has helped them gain more fans throughout the world. La Liga I would say is not marketed as well but if people know anything about football they will know also about how big a club Real Madrid is.

Whats the Debate here...Biggest..Richest..Biggest fan base...More Popular...this could go on forever...;)

There's not a footy fan in the world who dosent know UNITED or MADRID..

Biggest supporter GROUP worldwide?

answer..Celtic!...they must be the bigger? lol

Like i said this debate would never come to an end!

PS.... UNITED!!!!!!!

anto7
02-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Last year they had a clause in the contract that stated unless injured, RM had to play all of their big guns for at least one half. I hope they make that clause again because that is what made me feel safer about the big purchase.
I would be very surprised if they could get that cause this year based on the World Cup. The players are going to be playing in their domestic leagues until May and then going on straight to their Worls Cup camps so they will not be getting any rest. I would be shocked if they came here and did not take a break.

spark
02-01-2010, 09:02 AM

It's for real. Not at BMO. Not against TFC. Nothing to do with MLSE.

CanadaLFC
02-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Watch us get the special discount pricing again for this match...what a scam. Im not interested in our home stadium cheering 90% for the opposition, while forgetting the loyalty to tfc (people wearing full man utd gear in 112 and south end)

Detroit_TFC
02-01-2010, 09:22 AM

That was my first thought, too. Probably its part of that World Football exhib tour like what happened last summer. That tour was extremely successful, it would be stupid not to do it again. I'd be curious to know who else is coming, I guess we'll find out soon.

Oldtimer
02-01-2010, 09:30 AM

Where did you make up that?

Reports also have surfaced Manchester United will land in Toronto on their summer tour. Johnston confirms there have been talks, but the situation is complicated this year schedule-wise because of the World Cup.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/02/01/12690281-sun.html

Steve
02-01-2010, 09:36 AM

They should just have Barrett and Rooney swap jerseys at halftime and come out for the other team.

TFCRegina
02-01-2010, 09:51 AM
They should just have Barrett and Rooney swap jerseys at halftime and come out for the other team.

It wouldn't be fair for them...we might actually score!

Shaughno
02-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Watch us get the special discount pricing again for this match...what a scam. Im not interested in our home stadium cheering 90% for the opposition, while forgetting the loyalty to tfc (people wearing full man utd gear in 112 and south end)

But I'm sure it's fine if it was Liverpool though huh?

Regardless whether it's United, Barca, Madrid, Milan, etc. They're all going to command top dollar, and if it's at BMO you know damn well ML$E will milk it for all it's worth.

nobodybeatsthewiz
02-01-2010, 10:09 AM
^ theres still hope for you yet, jay, hahaha

Shaughno
02-01-2010, 10:10 AM
^ theres still hope for you yet, jay, hahaha

You of all people should know by now that I've long been a lost cause. :hump:

spark
02-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Where did you make up that?

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/02/01/12690281-sun.html

Which one of us do you really think is more likely to make something up? :D

Oldtimer
02-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Which one of us do you really think is more likely to make something up? :D

Wheeler or Spark? hmmm..... :D

brad
02-01-2010, 11:22 AM
I would be very surprised if they could get that cause this year based on the World Cup. The players are going to be playing in their domestic leagues until May and then going on straight to their Worls Cup camps so they will not be getting any rest. I would be shocked if they came here and did not take a break.

It's going to depend on timing of this match and when the respective players World Cup ends. But I would think that anyone that makes it out of the group stage will be unlikely to be here for a July match.

Fergie did take a beating in the press for the match you mentioned, and flew a number of the first teamers out for the following match as a result. I doubt that he would do that again if he has the option. However, he is most certainly not going to putting someone like Rooney on the pitch for PR purposes after only having 2 - 3 weeks of rest.

Giggs will be there - that's enough for me :-)

CanadaLFC
02-01-2010, 11:26 AM

Regardless whether it's United, Barca, Madrid, Milan, etc. They're all going to command top dollar, and if it's at BMO you know damn well ML$E will milk it for all it's worth.

I don't really support BMO being pro-opposition at any time (including liverpool). Granted, it would be a nice friendly but it just kind of kills that you already know most of the stadium would be wearing the red of united and not tfc. Anyways, maybe they aren't playing at BMO at all.

Carts
02-01-2010, 11:33 AM
I love getting the chance to see world class clubs in person no matter who they are, or who they are playing...

Seeing Real Madrid was magic...

Getting to see ManU or Liverpool or Chelsea etc would be magical too..

Granted, anyone wants to see the team they support more than another - and what they pay would reflect that - but if you love the sport as much as most of us do, seeing one of the best clubs in the world is always something to get excited for...

I know it'll be exspensive, but if I can swing it, I won't miss it...

Carts...

Darlofletch
02-01-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't really support BMO being pro-opposition at any time (including liverpool). Granted, it would be a nice friendly but it just kind of kills that you already know most of the stadium would be wearing the red of united and not tfc. Anyways, maybe they aren't playing at BMO at all.

This would be my issue with it, throw in goltv, the teams own tv station, going all googly eyed at united or whichever big club shows up, and talking it up as the biggest game of the season and all that whan it's just a friendly, and it's just a bit depressing.

Hopefully it'll be against another big team, then i can happily ignore it, but i have no interest in seeing TFC play the Washington Generals role in their own stadium.

Whoop
02-01-2010, 12:04 PM
CNE Cup situation?

scooter
02-01-2010, 12:25 PM
It's going to depend on timing of this match and when the respective players World Cup ends. But I would think that anyone that makes it out of the group stage will be unlikely to be here for a July match.

Fergie did take a beating in the press for the match you mentioned, and flew a number of the first teamers out for the following match as a result. I doubt that he would do that again if he has the option. However, he is most certainly not going to putting someone like Rooney on the pitch for PR purposes after only having 2 - 3 weeks of rest.

Giggs will be there - that's enough for me :-)

rooney doesnt need rest he is a weapon

Super
02-01-2010, 12:29 PM
This game will definitely be another easy sell-out. Now with grass in place the profits from this game would be a lot higher for MLSE as well.

Belfast_Boy
02-01-2010, 12:36 PM

wouldn't take that bet! I'd be surprised if it was at BMO field.

Super Cereal
02-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Uh yeah, I do.

Man U is bigger for many of the reasons you listed. From my personal experience, everyone knows who Man U is. Real Madrid? Not so much. In terms of Toronto soccer fans, it doesn't really matter since both would sell out. But in terms of general public and name recognition, yeah I give the nod to Man U for sure.

edit - it'll be at BMO.

v00d00daddy
02-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Uh yeah, I do.

Man U is bigger for many of the reasons you listed. From my personal experience, everyone knows who Man U is. Real Madrid? Not so much. In terms of Toronto soccer fans, it doesn't really matter since both would sell out. But in terms of general public and name recognition, yeah I give the nod to Man U for sure.

edit - it'll be at BMO.

ManU may be the bigger club based on popularity but there is no way they can match the spectacle that was Real Madrid last year.

There isn't one player with ManU that I would want to see live more that Kaka, Raul or Cristiano Ronaldo. Especially considering it was right after all of those signings with Real (Kaka, Ronaldo, Benzema etc.)

I really hope this is true and hope even more that it will be at BMO against TFC.

boban
02-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Uh yeah, I do.

edit - it'll be at BMO.
This is BS. Your answer reflects the fact the you live in Toronto, an anglo settlement.
Go to south America and Real Madrid blows away ManU.

Manutd27
02-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I am excited by the prospect of this match but I also realize that alot of the "big" players will more than likely not be here, the fact that this preseason tour would fall only a few weeks after the World Cup means all players who were at the tournament will be given time off before joining up with the squad, so players like Rooney, Rio, Evra, Nani, etc will more than likely not have to travel for a few games in the US/Canada, we will still be treated to the likes of Giggs, Scholes, etc.

Hitcho
02-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I find it baffling and (if I am honest) sickening that so many TFC fans would start jizzing all over teams like manure and madrid if and when they come to town. I understand that people who grew up in Canada were starved of a home team to support so they started following "big" teams from afar, and may have done so for a number of years now. But the goalposts have shifted now, by a fucking huge margin. For those people who are TO born and raised and who support TFC (as SSH or otherwise) to start cheering for the other team they followed from afar over and above TFC is just baffling to me. You've got a hometown club and no longer need the plastic association with the "big" foreign team. Yeah, nice to see a good team play and all that, especially if you used to follow that team as a kid - something to get excited about for sure - but TFC should always be number one.

/rant :D:D:D

Super Cereal
02-01-2010, 02:48 PM
This is BS. Your answer reflects the fact the you live in Toronto, an anglo settlement.
First of all, I don't even live in Toronto, so **** off.

Second, I don't give a rats ass about who is bigger in South America. Man U coming to Toronto is a much bigger deal than Real Madrid to the general public.

Super
02-01-2010, 02:50 PM
I find it baffling and (if I am honest) sickening that so many TFC fans would start jizzing all over teams like manure and madrid if and when they come to town. I understand that people who grew up in Canada were starved of a home team to support so they started following "big" teams from afar, and may have done so for a number of years now. But the goalposts have shifted now, by a fucking huge margin. For those people who are TO born and raised and who support TFC (as SSH or otherwise) to start cheering for the other team they followed from afar over and above TFC is just baffling to me. You've got a hometown club and no longer need the plastic association with the "big" foreign team. Yeah, nice to see a good team play and all that, especially if you used to follow that team as a kid - something to get excited about for sure - but TFC should always be number one.

In a competitive game, maybe. In a friendly? Not so much.

boban
02-01-2010, 02:52 PM

Second, I don't give a rats ass about who is bigger in South America. Man U coming to Toronto is a much bigger deal than Real Madrid to the general public.
The argument is who is a bigger club, but if you want to pick and choose to make it fit your argument knock yourself out.

Super
02-01-2010, 02:52 PM

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the Real Madrid game did have the little extra magic to it because of Ronaldo's move from United to Real, and also the fact that Kaka played his very first game for Real at BMO. These two guys added a whole heck of a lot to the event.

prizby
02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
there is no way united is going to play on turf...it'll be at bmo

brad
02-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Not to get drawn in to this, but I will counter with - go to Asia and United blow Madrid away.

They are both huge clubs, lets leave it at that.

brad
02-01-2010, 02:58 PM
there is no way united is going to play on turf...it'll be at bmo

They've put grass down at the Skydome before.

Hitcho
02-01-2010, 02:58 PM
In a competitive game, maybe. In a friendly? Not so much.

I don't see the difference to be honest. If you're a TFC fan - live here, support the team, part of an SG, etc - and TFC are playing another team, then you should stay a TFC fan. Otherwise, you're on a slippery slope. It's only a difference of degree, not kind, to then say "well I am a TFC fan now but I was a man utd and beckham fan in 1999, so when TFC play LAG I will support beckham and his team and not TFC". The principle is exactly the same, just extended to a more realistic situation than TFC playing man utd in the final of the FIFA world club cup champs. You're relying on a past affiliation with a far away club to support someone other than TFC.

To me, that's weird.

Super
02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
I don't see the difference to be honest. If you're a TFC fan - live here, support the team, part of an SG, etc - and TFC are playing another team, then you should stay a TFC fan. Otherwise, you're on a slippery slope. It's only a difference of degree, not kind, to then say "well I am a TFC fan now but I was a man utd and beckham fan in 1999, so when TFC play LAG I will support beckham and his team and not TFC". The principle is exactly the same, just extended to a more realistic situation than TFC playing man utd in the final of the FIFA world club cup champs. You're relying on a past affiliation with a far away club to support someone other than TFC.

To me, that's weird.

Well, look at it this way. If you're a TFC and Man Utd supporter, a game like this one is your chance to support your other team that ONE time they're here in Canada. Other than that you have to fly overseas. AND it's a friendly, so it doesn't matter anyway. I don't think that takes away from their love and support of TFC.

boban
02-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Not to get drawn in to this, but I will counter with - go to Asia and United blow Madrid away.

They are both huge clubs, lets leave it at that.
Not really. Real made some inroads while Becks was with them
Add to the fact they have Ronaldo now.
Say what you will but a lot of chicks follow him.

AL-MO
02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
If they did play TFC I don't think I could take the game very seriously. Too many friends on here who are United Supporters.

James Oliphant
02-01-2010, 03:17 PM

This is a thread about United coming to Toronto, not South America.

Oldtimer
02-01-2010, 03:21 PM
A note from your friendly Moderators: Lets not have a flame war over whose Euro club is more important. Thank-you.

v00d00daddy
02-01-2010, 03:22 PM
This is a thread about United coming to Toronto, not South America.

Yeah but for some reason it became about who was the "bigger" club.

Like that even matters.

v00d00daddy
02-01-2010, 03:23 PM
A note from your friendly Moderators: Lets not have a flame war over whose Euro club is more important. Thank-you.

Nice...beat me to it.

v00d00daddy
02-01-2010, 03:25 PM

To me, that's weird.

Just worry about who you support and how you support them. That's what will help soccer in Canada, and Toronto, and TFC for that matter.

The minute you start to worry about who other people support, and more importantly, HOW they support...you become part of the problem.

We all love soccer here...what's the point of shitting on somebody's "way" of loving soccer?

CanadaLFC
02-01-2010, 03:26 PM

I agree with every sentence in this post. It was the point I was trying t get at as well. :scarf:

jaahuuu
02-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Funny story....

I saw Man United play a friendly against Bayern Munich in Chicago back in 2004. The game itself was pretty boring. Ended up 0-0 with Bayern winning on penalties.
I have one of the gloves Oliver Kahn wore in that game hanging on my office wall.

Anyway back to topic...I was at the RM game, I even drove to Montreal to see Bordeaux beat Guingamp. I'll probably be there for this, and if its against TFC I'll definitely be there and I'll be in a TFC jersey.

jabbronies
02-01-2010, 03:55 PM
I will be at this game for sure. I hope they offer it to STH first again. That way I don't have to fight scalpers for tickets when the window opens to buy them.

BC - you guys doing another run of the Man U / TFC scarves??

drewski
02-01-2010, 04:18 PM

I'm baffled that you're baffled. If somebody has an emotional bond with a far away team that's grown from years, if not decades, of living and dying with that team, most people can't just throw that bond out because a new team sprang up in your area recently.

JonO
02-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Man - we need some real news. This is getting boring...

TFC/ARSENAL
02-01-2010, 05:33 PM
I think we can all count on it being exorbitantly expensive. Is anyone in need of a first-born child?

Bars92
02-01-2010, 05:53 PM
My question is will the game be at BMO or the Dome?

Derko
02-01-2010, 06:04 PM

Yes, you are correct, but why does it have to come down to Anglo-non Anglo sentiments, I have travelled to many places in Europe, South and Central America, and Real Madrid and Manchester United are big names as are Barcelona, Arsenal, Inter Milan and a host of others!!

Yes Toronto and for that matter Canada was originally settled mainly by French and English, why argue over history, take pride in your heritage and take pride in being Canadian, and take pride in living in a country that is far more tolerant than many nations in the world.

:scarf: :canada: :drinking:

NF-FC
02-01-2010, 06:04 PM

if Real Madrid was at BMO, than Man U will be at BMO

boban
02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Yes, you are correct, but why does it have to come down to Anglo-non Anglo sentiments, I have travelled to many places in Europe, South and Central America, and Real Madrid and Manchester United are big names as are Barcelona, Arsenal, Inter Milan and a host of others!!

Yes Toronto and for that matter Canada was originally settled mainly by French and English, why argue over history, take pride in your heritage and take pride in being Canadian, and take pride in living in a country that is far more tolerant than many nations in the world.

:confused: :confused:

v00d00daddy
02-01-2010, 06:37 PM

I think you may have interpreted his post wrong. There is nothing anti (or pro) Anglo about what he said.

I think he was just saying that the vast majority of soccer fans in this city are of some form of British heritage. This is why the perception here, in Toronto, would be that ManU is the "biggest" club in the world.

I don't think there was anything malicious about the comment and, for the record, I agree with boban on this one.

jazzy
02-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Not bloody likely....TFC all the way

jazzy
02-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Uh yeah, I do.

edit - it'll be at BMO.

Give me Barca, Man U is huge world wide. just ask anyone from numerous countries, they all ID Man U. ,they love a winner, which they are.. but give me Barcelona.....it's a finess thing

CretanBull
02-01-2010, 07:01 PM
I think you may have interpreted his post wrong. There is nothing anti (or pro) Anglo about what he said.

I think he was just saying that the vast majority of soccer fans in this city are of some form of British heritage. This is why the perception here, in Toronto, would be that ManU is the "biggest" club in the world.

I don't think there was anything malicious about the comment and, for the record, I agree with boban on this one.

I hate Man U more than anything, but its a matter of fact not opinion that they are the biggest club in the world. They're valued at a full half billion dollars more than Real Madrid. In terms of value (which is clearly linked to fan support, merch sales, market penatration etc.) Man U is worth as much as Real Madrid + Juventus.

MUFC_Niagara
02-01-2010, 07:12 PM

You've said some pretty rediculous things on here, this takes the ribbon!
So let me get this straight, my family has supported Manchester United since my great great great Grandad walked from Malpas, Cheshire to work on the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. My great great Grandad was at the 1936 promotion dinner at the Midland Hotel after United won the second division. My grandad lived at 42 Warwick Road (now Matt Busby Way) across from Old Trafford cricket ground and was friends with many of the Busby Babes, some of those who lost their lives at Munich. Essentially, my family all support United.

BUT

According to you....because I was born in Canada, even though I have grown up United, as soon as TFC came to town I should stop supporting United cold turkey and support only TFC? Is it because it's United? Calling people "plastic" because they support another team and are happy they are coming is stupid, even for your standards.

Ladies Love Julius James
02-01-2010, 07:21 PM
United. United. United.

Preach Stock Preach.

jazzy
02-01-2010, 07:44 PM

No maliciousness taken but: For me respectfully,the British are overrated, maybe in Oakville or Burlington where white Anglos are numerous but My parents are Brits, and I have been hugely influenced and revitalized to the joys of soccer by the numerous lets say new Torontonians, from all over the world, and their sheer love of the game, quite frankly Brits are sometimes full of it, and I personally am astonished watching Lebonese, Somalian, Ethiopian, Central American, Nigerian, East European etc.......school me in their devotion and talent for the game.....Let's not forget Portugese and Italian....man every friggin country......god bless them, they make up our city, and we are the richer for them. If anything Brits and the like are a minority now.

jabbronies
02-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Guys, enough with "Who's the Biggest Club in the World" conversation.
This shit will going nowhere, so lets just leave it at they are both big clubs that demand alot of money to play here. Done.

if You want to start this kind of conversation, do it in the International section.

Bars92
02-01-2010, 08:12 PM
How many British players does United even have in its starting lineup?

Super Cereal
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Give me Barca, Man U is huge world wide. just ask anyone from numerous countries, they all ID Man U. ,they love a winner, which they are.. but give me Barcelona.....it's a finess thing
I hear ya. I'm a Man U fan, so I'm giddy. I hope I can get tickets for this one. If I do I think I'll wear my TFC short sleeve jersey over my Man U hoodie. :D

Ladies Love Julius James
02-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Rooney, Owen, Carrick, Wes Brown, Rio Ferdidand, Scholes.....

Marco2K
02-01-2010, 08:28 PM
I would rather watch Messi and Barcelona.

Ladies Love Julius James
02-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Sigh. why do personal opinions matter in a factual thread?? I rather have a Seattle atmosphere at BMO...you don't see me complaining

drewski
02-01-2010, 08:29 PM

Rooney, Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes & Brown. Throw Evans in too if you consider people from Northern Ireland to be British

on the bench is also Giggs, Neville, Owen & Foster

Cobblers
02-01-2010, 08:36 PM

Depends on who you consider a regular starter but most of these guys regularly start games for United and they are all british (keeping in mind Welsh, Scottish and Irish are generally considered british...)

Rio Ferdinand
Wes Brown
Paul Scholes
Wayne Rooney
Michael Carrick
Gary Neville
Ryan Giggs
Darren Fletcher
Jonny Evans
John O'Shea

drewski
02-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Depends on who you consider a regular starter but most of these guys regularly start games for United and they are all british (keeping in mind Welsh, Scottish and Irish are generally considered british...)

Rio Ferdinand
Wes Brown
Paul Scholes
Wayne Rooney
Michael Carrick
Gary Neville
Ryan Giggs
Darren Fletcher
Jonny Evans
John O'Shea

you sir are a brave man calling an Irishman British haha

spark
02-01-2010, 08:51 PM

Dome.

JonO
02-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Thunderdome?

spark
02-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Chrome Dome

drewski
02-01-2010, 09:11 PM
domer ;)

spark
02-01-2010, 09:13 PM
ok let's keep this on topic!

SKYDO ... errr Rogers Centre.

T0R0NT0 FC
02-01-2010, 09:15 PM
"Reports also have surfaced Manchester United will land in Toronto on their summer tour. Johnston confirms there have been talks, but the situation is complicated this year schedule-wise because of the World Cup."

If Mo is confirming talks, wouldnt' that point towards BMO? ...and TFC v Man Utd? We did play Real Madrid last season... and Seattle did play Chelsea and Barcelona (I think). So don't think it would be anyone but TFC playing them.

drewski
02-01-2010, 09:18 PM
"Reports also have surfaced Manchester United will land in Toronto on their summer tour. Johnston confirms there have been talks, but the situation is complicated this year schedule-wise because of the World Cup."

If Mo is aware of talks, wouldnt' that point towards BMO?

good call. though i'd imagine it would point more towards TFC than BMO

CretanBull
02-01-2010, 09:20 PM
If Mo is aware of talks, wouldnt' that point towards BMO?

Not really, if Man U wanted to play against TFC at Skydome they'd still have to talk to Mo.

v00d00daddy
02-01-2010, 09:24 PM
If this game happens, and if it's at the dome, I won't go. I have no interest in watching anything in that building. Even ManU.

Give me BMO and my regular seat and I'm there.

T0R0NT0 FC
02-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Not really, if Man U wanted to play against TFC at Skydome they'd still have to talk to Mo.

True. But Real Madrid played at BMO, so I'm sure it will be there. Especially now that we have shiney new grass. :scarf:

v00d00daddy
02-01-2010, 09:26 PM
I hate Man U more than anything, but its a matter of fact not opinion that they are the biggest club in the world. They're valued at a full half billion dollars more than Real Madrid. In terms of value (which is clearly linked to fan support, merch sales, market penatration etc.) Man U is worth as much as Real Madrid + Juventus.

I don't want to get into the discussion about "biggest" clubs. Suffice to say...that in my eyes...the team with the most fans is not necessarily the biggest or best.

At the end of the day..I would be ecstatic to see a team like ManU come to BMO and play TFC.

Super Cereal
02-01-2010, 10:56 PM
It'll be at BMO.

CretanBull
02-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Mods: Its not a petty arguement about which team is bigger, it relates directly to the topic at hand. Real Madrid played here last year, comparing them to Man U is relevant to the topic at hand as we talk about what we might expect from a Man U game in Toronto in terms of location, cost etc.

I don't want to get into the discussion about "biggest" clubs. Suffice to say...that in my eyes...the team with the most fans is not necessarily the biggest or best.

"Best" of course not, but a measure of a team's size has to be measured by it's value - there's no other objective way of determining a team's size. A team's value is a reflection of all the things that we'd measure to determine it's 'size'...fan support, merch sales, global imprint, market penatration etc. Believe me when I say that it pains me to say anything good about Man U, but when it comes to these things they are head and shoulders above not just every other soccer team, but every other sports team in the world. Their website is available in Japanese, Korean, Chinese and Arabic...I'd venture to guess that they're the only club in the world that requires such translations - that's the kind of global brand that they represent.

Real Madrid is about on par with the New York Yankees - which means they are absolutely massive - but Man U is a full 40% larger than either of them.

At the end of the day..I would be ecstatic to see a team like ManU come to BMO and play TFC.

Me too, so that I could boo them :D

Marco2K
02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Sigh. why do personal opinions matter in a factual thread?? I rather have a Seattle atmosphere at BMO...you don't see me complaining

No way. TFC SUPPORTER are the best. Seatle pumps sound in thru the speakers.AT BMO its all US!!

Hitcho
02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
You've said some pretty rediculous things on here, this takes the ribbon!
So let me get this straight, my family has supported Manchester United since my great great great Grandad walked from Malpas, Cheshire to work on the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. My great great Grandad was at the 1936 promotion dinner at the Midland Hotel after United won the second division. My grandad lived at 42 Warwick Road (now Matt Busby Way) across from Old Trafford cricket ground and was friends with many of the Busby Babes, some of those who lost their lives at Munich. Essentially, my family all support United.

BUT

According to you....because I was born in Canada, even though I have grown up United, as soon as TFC came to town I should stop supporting United cold turkey and support only TFC? Is it because it's United? Calling people "plastic" because they support another team and are happy they are coming is stupid, even for your standards.

:rolleyes:

TFCtoMUFC
02-01-2010, 11:12 PM

Rio Ferdinand
Wes Brown
Paul Scholes
Wayne Rooney
Michael Carrick
Gary Neville
Ryan Giggs
Darren Fletcher
Jonny Evans
John O'Shea

What about Hargreaves? :hide:

TFCtoMUFC
02-01-2010, 11:16 PM

TFC can't be number one when they weren't first. I don't know about you but I had heard of that sport with the ball that you kick before TFC came to town. Being in a family that lost soccer for a few generations I wasn't "brought up on it" but I started supporting United when I was very young and stuck with them through they two years they didn't win the EPL (when your like 7 that means a lot). United are my team, always have been and always will be. I hate that because I am younger it is automatically assumed that I picked the biggest and best club around to support. I can't just throw away my love of United because TFC came on the scene, it doesn't work like that.

Hitcho
02-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Well, look at it this way. If you're a TFC and Man Utd supporter, a game like this one is your chance to support your other team that ONE time they're here in Canada. Other than that you have to fly overseas. AND it's a friendly, so it doesn't matter anyway. I don't think that takes away from their love and support of TFC.

Fair enough, that's an interesting way of looking at it. I can't see myself ever supporting another team over TFC (that's not a criticsim of other people or a self-righteous holier than thou statement, it's just a statement of how I feel), but I get that other people have supported far away (or other) teams prior to TFC coming along. It's just surprising to me that now that they have a local, home town club that they can follow in person every week, meet the players at events in and around TO, be a part of the TFC community and attend SG events etc that the affiliation with TFC doesn't start to take priority. Not to exclude the other club, just to be a more substantive association. But that's just my approach.

I guess what really bothers me is the thought of BMO Field full of people cheering for a team that TFC is playing against, whatever the reason for it. That just seems like such an alien concept and you can't really imagine it happening in most other clubs in the world, big or small.

JonO
02-01-2010, 11:25 PM
meh - you should have been at the basketball game when the lakers were in town. Embarrassing...

Hitcho
02-01-2010, 11:29 PM
TFC can't be number one when they weren't first. I don't know about you but I had heard of that sport with the ball that you kick before TFC came to town. Being in a family that lost soccer for a few generations I wasn't "brought up on it" but I started supporting United when I was very young and stuck with them through they two years they didn't win the EPL (when your like 7 that means a lot). United are my team, always have been and always will be. I hate that because I am younger it is automatically assumed that I picked the biggest and best club around to support. I can't just throw away my love of United because TFC came on the scene, it doesn't work like that.

That's a bit like saying you can't love your wife more than your first girlfriend, because she came first. Or you can't ever make a friend that you like better than your first friend. I know sports is a bit different from everything else in the world, but the analogy is the same (at least to me).

What I find puzzling is that if someone has a real and substantive link with a club and lives in and is part of the community of that club, goes to games on a regular basis etc, then it's hard to feel the same kind of substantive association with a club that is in another continent and that you basically never get to see live (or very rarely at best).

If you don't have a club to be "part" of then that's one thing, and I get that people filled that void before TFC came along with other clubs, that had to be in a foreign land because Canada didn;t have a professional league to speak of. I'm not knocking people for supporting other clubs before TFC came along - what were you supposed to do to get a soccer fix? Makes perfect sense. And if all those footie people hadn't been around then TFC would not have had a fan base to build off.

I guess what I find curious is that the real and substantive connection hasn't started to eat in to the distance based conenction more. Maybe it will over time. In ten years this type of thread will likely have a very different tone. At least, I hope it does! :D

Hitcho
02-01-2010, 11:30 PM
meh - you should have been at the basketball game when the lakers were in town. Embarrassing...

Well if you ever asked me if I wanted to go with you to a game JP then I might have been! :D:D:D

BC101
02-01-2010, 11:35 PM
LOL plastic supporter of united... Good thing iam just used to people here saying shit like that without knowing me at all. Otherwise there might be a flame war...

Tis all good my man.

WHITEY
02-01-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm not a supporter of United whatsoever, however I would probably consider going just for the fact that it was Manchester United. There won't be many opportunities for me in my lifetime to see such a storied football club play in my backyard. Can't stand Real Madrid and had no interest at all to see that sideshow.

TFCtoMUFC
02-01-2010, 11:41 PM
That's a bit like saying you can't love your wife more than your first girlfriend, because she came first. Or you can't ever make a friend that you like better than your first friend. I know sports is a bit different from everything else in the world, but the analogy is the same (at least to me).

What I find puzzling is that if someone has a real and substantive link with a club and lives in and is part of the community of that club, goes to games on a regular basis etc, then it's hard to feel the same kind of substantive association with a club that is in another continent and that you basically never get to see live (or very rarely at best).

If you don't have a club to be "part" of then that's one thing, and I get that people filled that void before TFC came along with other clubs, that had to be in a foreign land because Canada didn;t have a professional league to speak of. I'm not knocking people for supporting other clubs before TFC came along - what were you supposed to do to get a soccer fix? Makes perfect sense. And if all those footie people hadn't been around then TFC would not have had a fan base to build off.

I guess what I find curious is that the real and substantive connection hasn't started to eat in to the distance based conenction more. Maybe it will over time. In ten years this type of thread will likely have a very different tone. At least, I hope it does! :D

But United is my wife and TFC is my hot secretary. Every time I go and see her I feel bad about the other, but its so good every time that I can't give it up.

To quote Cheap Trick (cause everyone needs to do that at least once in their lives) "You were the first, you'll be the last." Thats how I felt about United. TFC is a great team to support and I have a blast going out on Saturdays with all the SGs there, but when it comes down to it United is my team.

Hitcho
02-01-2010, 11:55 PM
But United is my wife and TFC is my hot secretary. Every time I go and see her I feel bad about the other, but its so good every time that I can't give it up.

To quote Cheap Trick (cause everyone needs to do that at least once in their lives) "You were the first, you'll be the last." Thats how I felt about United. TFC is a great team to support and I have a blast going out on Saturdays with all the SGs there, but when it comes down to it United is my team.

Ha ha! Good post! :D

Listen dude, I'm not knocking you or your position, I was just trying to explain that I come at this from a different perspective.

werewolf
02-01-2010, 11:56 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/weloverovers/sheffield_united_football_club.gif

The first, and only true club that can be called "United".

:flare:

TFCtoMUFC
02-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Ha ha! Good post! :D

Listen dude, I'm not knocking you or your position, I was just trying to explain that I come at this from a different perspective.

Out of curiosity, what club did you support before TFC? and Do you still support that club?

AL-MO
02-02-2010, 12:00 AM

Have you been to Old Trafford?

BC101
02-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Out of curiosity, what club did you support before TFC? and Do you still support that club?
Judging by that Tiger avatar he supporters Hull.

Hitcho
02-02-2010, 12:01 AM
LOL plastic supporter of united... Good thing iam just used to people here saying shit like that without knowing me at all. Otherwise there might be a flame war...

Tis all good my man.

:D

I said the association was plastic, not the people (clearly everyone on here is a football fan to some degree, or they would not be on here to begin with), but it wasn't meant to be insulting, just a suggestion that compared to the involvement you get with your own home town club, the link is (from a substantive point of view) a bit artifical. I don't doubt that people care a lot, it's just the type of connection that's odd to me, not the fact that it exists. Plastic was an inflammatory term, poor choice of word I guess.

Anyhow, I'm off before that Niagara dude comes back and starts telling me that everything I have ever posted is incomprehensibly stupid... :D

Auzzy
02-02-2010, 12:02 AM

Sorry if this has already been said, but you're gonna have to change your board name (TFCtoMUFC) if this game happens, right? :)

werewolf
02-02-2010, 12:03 AM
TFC already played the biggest club in the world. We drew 0-0.

http://www.fansfc.com/UploadedImages/Clubs/benfica__633706372820622500.jpg

See Guinness Book of World Records.

BC101
02-02-2010, 12:04 AM
:D

I said the association was plastic, not the people (clearly everyone on here is a football fan to some degree, or they would not be on here to begin with), but it wasn't meant to be insulting, just a suggestion that compared to the involvement you get with your own home town club, the link is (from a substantive point of view) a bit artifical. I don't doubt that people care a lot, it's just the type of connection that's odd to me, not the fact that it exists. Plastic was an inflammatory term, poor choice of word I guess.

Anyhow, I'm off before that Niagara dude comes back and starts telling me that everything I have ever posted is incomprehensibly stupid... :D
just for the record I am from(Born) Manchester and have been to OT and MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY away games for United. Incase it was unclear.. Since people here do make assumptions that if you aren't some old pasty skinned limey fuck who sits down the pub all day everyday you can't possibly be from Manchester.

TFCtoMUFC
02-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Sorry if this has already been said, but you're gonna have to change your board name (TFCtoMUFC) if this game happens, right? :)

Not been said. Can't change my board name it has legendary status, the MUFC has been replaced by everything known to man.

WHITEY
02-02-2010, 12:06 AM

HAHAHA his name has already been changed many, many, many times LOL

Hitcho
02-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Judging by that Tiger avatar he supporters Hull.

Hah! Hobbes only supports tuna sandwiches, not football clubs ;)

I was born and raised in England but I moved around the UK a lot from the age of about three. Reading was my home town club (where I was born) and I supported them and still follow them. I was living in Aberdeen when SAF won the European Cup Winners Cup with Aberdeen - the whole place went nuts and the open top bus drove past my school on the victory parade which was kind of cool. Of the current EPL clubs I have preferred teams but none of them would rank over TFC, even though I grew up there. But like I said, that's just my take on things.

James Oliphant
02-02-2010, 12:22 AM
This thread just gets stupider and stupider.

James Oliphant
02-02-2010, 12:23 AM

I know you weren't asking me, but I haven't...does this somehow call into question my loyalty to and love for MUFC?

MUFC_Niagara
02-02-2010, 12:32 AM

I have, and highbury, elland road, st.james park, etc.... :D

MUFC_Niagara
02-02-2010, 12:33 AM
This thread just gets stupider and stupider.

:hump:

AL-MO
02-02-2010, 02:11 AM
I know you weren't asking me, but I haven't...does this somehow call into question my loyalty to and love for MUFC?

No I don't think it does. You have been following them for quite a while.

But if you have never attended a game live, never witnessed the Stretford End in full voice (in person), never been on the road, have you really experienced the feeling of supporting Man United?

For myself I break it down to teams/clubs I Support and clubs I follow. I have a few I follow and have for a few years, but there is only one I truly Support. It is the one that I attend games week in and week out. Furthermore one that I help organize visual support in the stands.

I am not trying to insult your or anyone else's allegiance, just my opinion.

AL-MO
02-02-2010, 02:16 AM
If United were to come, I will make a decision at that point if I can go to the game. (most likely it will depend on $$$)

James Oliphant
02-02-2010, 02:26 AM

But if you have never attended a game live, never witnessed the Stretford End in full voice (in person), never been on the road, have you really experienced the feeling of supporting Man United?

For myself I break it down to teams/clubs I Support and clubs I follow. I have a few I follow and have for a few years, but there is only one I truly Support. It is the one that I attend games week in and week out. Furthermore one that I help organize visual support in the stands.

On GoTFC, there's a member who goes by the name of Crowley. He's from St. John's, NL. In TFC's first two seasons, he was living in Edmonton. He moved back to the rock last year.

He's been posting on my site since 2006. He watches just about every game on television, collects scarves from the supporters' groups (I've sent him a couple myself), buys merchandise from the online stores, follows all the news on the internet and in the papers, and just generally lives and dies with TFC.

He's never been to see a TFC match live. Which, in your view, means he's not actually a supporter of the team...just a follower.

Am I reading that correctly?

MUFC_Niagara
02-02-2010, 05:11 AM
On GoTFC, there's a member who goes by the name of Crowley. He's from St. John's, NL. In TFC's first two seasons, he was living in Edmonton. He moved back to the rock last year.

He's been posting on my site since 2006. He watches just about every game on television, collects scarves from the supporters' groups (I've sent him a couple myself), buys merchandise from the online stores, follows all the news on the internet and in the papers, and just generally lives and dies with TFC.

He's never been to see a TFC match live. Which, in your view, means he's not actually a supporter of the team...just a follower.

Am I reading that correctly?

Apparently, that seems to be what people think on here. Oh, and if St.John's ever gets a football club...he'll be a "plastic" if he still supports TFC. LOL....seriously.

James Oliphant
02-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Apparently, that seems to be what people think on here. Oh, and if St.John's ever gets a football club...he'll be a "plastic" if he still supports TFC. LOL....seriously.

Speaking of which, why does no one here call Keystone "plastic" for supporting TFC from Ohio? He's got an MLS team not 90 minutes from him...

Fuck it. I'm done with this thread. I'll see all my fellow plastics at the United match this summer.

Oldtimer
02-02-2010, 08:37 AM
So I guess we can count on a sell-out, should Manchester United come to Toronto?

Hitcho
02-02-2010, 08:49 AM
So I guess we can count on a sell-out, should Manchester United come to Toronto?

I think that's the case regardless of RPB opinion. Madrid was always going to be a sell out (I had clients who know very little about football asking me if I could get them tickets to that game), and a team like Utd would be too. RPB could boycott the game and it would sell out (at BMO Field at any rate).

Emotions always run high on this topic. I've been involved in many similar conversations back home (people live in the south of england, support liverpool or man utd, get called plastic fans, etc). The people whose allegiance is "questioned" always get mightily pissed off about it, and the people who are trying to find out why the allegiance is there or as strong as it is just end up scratching their heads even harder. I guess the fact that someone gets so outraged when they feel impugned tells you what you need to know about their commitment to a team, but at the same time I can see the logic when people make a case that actually being in a city, being part of the community of the team, attending games regularly, taking part in supporter related events etc forms more of a substantial connection that watching on tv from a different continent.

Having said that, I had to laugh when someone posted above "I stuck with utd through the period when they didn't win the league for 2 years"! I know people who have been on the terraces and in the stands at clubs that have been relegated in successive seasons, turning up week after week to watch their side get hammered in the rain, with no prospect of ever returning to the higher divisions they came from. That's "sticking" with a team through the tough times. Watching Utd (or whoever) come second for a couple of seasons isn't really on the same scale!

Shaughno
02-02-2010, 09:03 AM
LOL I knew this thread would end up a joke after the first page.

Long love United, the most hated club in the world. :D

koryo
02-02-2010, 09:08 AM
This thread is why Leeds should come instead. No one (outside of a handful of us) would give a shit.

Hitcho
02-02-2010, 09:13 AM
LOL I knew this thread would end up a joke after the first page.

Long love United, the most hated club in the world. :D

Actually, that may be true Jay. I've not really heard anyone say they hate Real Madrid or Barca (save for the very few Spanish fans I have met that live in Madrid or Barca or support Atletico etc). Which means Utd could be in the odd position of being the most loved and hated club in the world at the same time! The Glazers are not helping though, it's tough for any football fan (whether you like Utd or otherwise) to agree with what they've done.

Hitcho
02-02-2010, 09:15 AM
This thread is why Leeds should come instead. No one (outside of a handful of us) would give a shit.

That would be cool. I'd love to see a club with history come to BMO Field that would provide a great game but not attract the kind of media circus that Madrid did and Utd would. You'd get a more "football" feel and atmosphere in the ground. Nothing against Madrid or Utd, btu they bring a circus with them (as would Liverpool, Arsenal, Barca, etc). River was a better example of the "football" atmosphere, but Leeds would be kick ass!

Oldtimer
02-02-2010, 09:16 AM
I guess the fact that someone gets so outraged when they feel impugned tells you what you need to know about their commitment to a team, but at the same time I can see the logic when people make a case that actually being in a city, being part of the community of the team, attending games regularly, taking part in supporter related events etc forms more of a substantial connection that watching on tv from a different continent.

That's why I consider myself a "fan" of certain Euro clubs.
I can't really call myself a "supporter" unless I'm there through thick and thin.

Shaughno
02-02-2010, 09:16 AM
L.U.H.G.

Just like the Yankees, everyone has a hate on for the most popular/successful teams.

nobodybeatsthewiz
02-02-2010, 09:19 AM

id go watch leeds.

id watch united, for completely different reasons, lol, but wouldnt - ultimately line their pockets with my cash, so - actually go.

koryo
02-02-2010, 09:19 AM
L.U.H.G.

Just like the Yankees, everyone has a hate on for the most popular/successful teams.

Success breeds jealousy. Take it as a compliment.

jabbronies
02-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Rio Ferdinand
Wes Brown
Paul Scholes
Wayne Rooney
Michael Carrick
Gary Neville
Ryan Giggs
Darren Fletcher
Jonny Evans
John O'Shea

Late on this one, but you forgot Haregraves.

nobodybeatsthewiz
02-02-2010, 09:20 AM

LOL! you're a funny man.

koryo
02-02-2010, 09:26 AM
So let's recap:

1. people who go to see ManU but boycotted RM last year are being hypocritical
2. no they're not
3. yes they are
4. no they're not
5-761. ... time passes ...
762-836. <insert "definition of real supporter and why I am and you're not" thread from 2007 here>
837-present. Let's hate ManU

Did I miss anything?

jabbronies
02-02-2010, 09:30 AM
LOL! you're a funny man.

Well he sure ain't fucking Canadian that's for sure!!! hahahaha

nobodybeatsthewiz
02-02-2010, 09:34 AM
So let's recap:

2. no they're not
3. yes they are
4. no they're not
762-836. <insert "definition of real supporter and why I am and you're not" thread from 2007 here>

Did I miss anything?

yes, good luck against spuds in the return leg! :D

nobodybeatsthewiz
02-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Well he sure ain't fucking Canadian that's for sure!!! hahahaha

with that mutt accent, who on earth knows what he is or where he's from.

v00d00daddy
02-02-2010, 09:38 AM
So let's recap:

2. no they're not
3. yes they are
4. no they're not

Did I miss anything?

Perfect...now any new reader is all caught up.

Just imagine what's going to happen if/when this game is actually announced?

Scary.

koryo
02-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Perfect...now any new reader is all caught up.

Just imagine what's going to happen if/when this game is actually announced?

Scary.

We'll start a new thread and go through it all again, won't we?

TFCtoMUFC
02-02-2010, 09:45 AM

I'm 15. I don't really have a choice as to whether I can go to OT. When I went to England we were in London, in early August. That didn't help.

jabbronies
02-02-2010, 09:45 AM
So let's recap:

2. no they're not
3. yes they are
4. no they're not

Did I miss anything?

We're not sure where Owen Hargreaves is from...he's not Canadian, but it seems like he's not English either.

TFCtoMUFC
02-02-2010, 09:47 AM
What about Hargreaves? :hide:

I like how its become obvious nobody reads my posts.

TFCtoMUFC
02-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Koryo, how are people who will go see United hypocritical for not seeing Madrid? I hate Madrid, with a passion. I like Klaas Jan Huntelaar but they let him go the day before they got here. I unlike half the people at that game would not spend 150 to go see one player. Manchester United is my team. If they came here I would sell limbs, blood and possibly my sister to go and see them.

Oldtimer
02-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Koryo, how are people who will go see United hypocritical for not seeing Madrid? I hate Madrid, with a passion. I like Klaas Jan Huntelaar but they let him go the day before they got here. I unlike half the people at that game would not spend 150 to go see one player. Manchester United is my team. If they came here I would sell limbs, blood and possibly my sister to go and see them.

Koryo is just quoted what others have said.