PDA

View Full Version : Was it just me, or were we quite lucky yesterday?

ensco
06-15-2008, 12:51 PM
That was an entertaining game, with three of the nicest goals you'd ever want to see, and all from the run of play!

But.

It seemed to me we broke down in the back a lot yesterday....the Crapids had at least five quality scoring chances, but never got the shot off properly (reminded me of us during the goalless in 2007), plus Edwards was sound positionally.

We really missed Brennan, and maybe Marshall too.... really thought that Harmse and Robbo were not effective...Tebily stood out for me as the best defender, that was a tough free kick given that led to the goal.

Nuvinho
06-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Dunivant was horrible in the first few minutes, so many giveaways.

ilikemusic
06-15-2008, 01:41 PM
It certainly was not luck though the game could have been very different if about 2 mins before Rickett's got his first the Colorado player had finished on his deadly opportunity. It could easily have been 1-1 and instead we turned it up field and got an insurance marker.

But this is football, you can always attribute everything to luck if you want.

Luck = Preparation + Opportunity

Pachuco
06-15-2008, 01:51 PM
well if Cunningham connected on a couple of headers and if Robert scores that free kick then the game would've been considered a blow out. We didn't get lucky, we played an awesome entertaining game.

CretanBull
06-15-2008, 02:20 PM
That was an entertaining game, with three of the nicest goals you'd ever want to see, and all from the run of play!

But.

It seemed to me we broke down in the back a lot yesterday....the Crapids had at least five quality scoring chances, but never got the shot off properly (reminded me of us during the goalless in 2007), plus Edwards was sound positionally.

We really missed Brennan, and maybe Marshall too.... really thought that Harmse and Robbo were not effective...Tebily stood out for me as the best defender, that was a tough free kick given that led to the goal.

I think we saw different games...I thought we played really well (and didn't win by luck) and Tebily was the shakiest of our defenders - various Colorado players got in behind him too often.

J .
06-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Could have been 5 or 6-1 I think we were much better.

RoRo played great

Bombonera
06-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Can't realy blame Dunivant. THe mna has been forced to play all over the field... HArmse on the other hand. THe man must have a t-shirt under his jersey that says CARD ME, and the refs know about it.

THe first 3+ minutes reminded me of the beginning of last season. Scarry stuff! ANd we did give us some stupid chances, but in the balance, we could have scored another 3 as well. Being able to generate that kind of pressure might be the diffence maker as the season develops.

DEfensively you just can't ignore Jimmy B and Marshall gone, but we did generate some fire power without Amado and Maurice. I think that we should view last night as a "cup half full" event.

Cambridge_Red
06-15-2008, 03:52 PM
It's just you.

ensco
06-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I think we saw different games...I thought we played really well (and didn't win by luck) and Tebily was the shakiest of our defenders - various Colorado players got in behind him too often.

Tebily was covering for Velez and Dunivant a lot....by the way your second point kind of contradicts your first point :)

ExiledRed
06-15-2008, 04:12 PM
I think that the Rapids had their own share of luck yesterday, with both of those free kicks.

Robert's second free kick was destined for that goal, but for Belcho's awesome save, and Cunny again had his fair share of chances.

We were the better team without a doubt, and five starters down? I'm sure they're aware of the defensive issues they faced without Jimmy and Tyrone and will learn from them. Carver will will be scrutinising that, like he should, but also congratulating the team on a great effort.

What's also positive is that we can play like that and get three goals despite having Cunny up front, if we put the kid there now, instead, it'll be like having an extra man up front.

CretanBull
06-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Tebily was covering for Velez and Dunivant a lot....

Dunivant played Ok. I think Valez was covering for Tebily more than the other way around.

...by the way your second point kind of contradicts your first point :)

Not really, one player can have an off game and the rest of the team can play well - that doesn't make them lucky, it makes them good :D

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-15-2008, 05:28 PM
no luck just good team play....every defence will struggle in that heat/surface put the TFC was not bad.

ensco
06-15-2008, 05:49 PM
What's also positive is that we can play like that and get three goals despite having Cunny up front, if we put the kid there now, instead, it'll be like having an extra man up front.

QFT !

Bloor West FC
06-15-2008, 06:03 PM
nope its just you! I think we played good enough!

Leprechaun
06-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Thought everyone played good minus Harmse and Cunningham. Also thought Tebily was a littel shaky at times.

redcard
06-15-2008, 06:11 PM
what game were u watching...i thought we played really well considering we were missing a few starters.

jloome
06-15-2008, 10:32 PM
No, I agree, we were very defensively shaky in the first 15 minutes and at a couple of other occasions. Velez was caught out of position a couple of times -- although I think that was because wynne hadn 't tracked back quickly enough. Our fullbacks live very dangerously, particularly wynne.

rocker
06-15-2008, 11:29 PM
this is MLS.. nobody plays perfectly. every team is gonna have breakdowns.
I think people expect every pass to be perfect and defensive players to never make mistakes. Hey, it's great to shoot for perfection, but just because it's not achieved doesn't mean the team was "lucky".

My dad always makes the comment that you should always expect the other team to make a run or cause trouble -- if they don't, then the quality of the opposition is shit.
Respect that the opposition is gonna get their chances here and there. What can be seen as a "mistake" by our defence could also be seen as a great play by the other team's offense.

Personally I saw many many more real opportunities for TFC than for Colorado, and that's all you can ask for. Cunny had about 3 great header chances plus a chip that he should've buried. Ricketts nearly scored a third one. Robert nearly scored two (the first great chance was a great save by Burpo with an assist by the post).

nimamalek
06-16-2008, 08:37 AM
if cummingz could have finished early when our D was half asleep then the game might have been different, for the first 5 mins he had 2-3 chances, but after that i think we dominated except for a couple of break downs