PDA

View Full Version : Julian de Guzman interview on soccer central....

MUFC_Niagara
01-30-2010, 12:00 PM
....is on in a few mins on sportnets. They will be interviewing and talking about TFC training camp.

MUFC_Niagara
01-30-2010, 12:20 PM
garbage interview....

uncle p
01-30-2010, 12:23 PM
I found this quote pretty interesting (its not exact)

"we are capable of being top three in the league, its just a matter of coming together, especially now with a new coach"

Its very subtle, but it sounds to me like he had no confidence in CC as a manager. Wonder if that feeling was shared in the locker room

TorCanSoc
01-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Post change scapegoats are common place with any sport, any workplace really.

rocker
01-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Well, Preki looks like the exact opposite of Chris Cummins... a total hard ass... just what the team needs. I was watching that latest TFC TV interview with Wileman, and man, Preki looks like a prick even in a casual interview. It's like he doesn't even want to be there even with the softball questions. hahaha.

Not to mention Preki played in the league.. was a star in the league... coached a team in the league... cares about the league and won't run off to Europe. I think De Guzman is probably just saying the obvious.

Damien
01-30-2010, 03:15 PM
I think CC and JC both came to Toronto thinkin' they could be soccer playboys or something.
Good riddence... bring on Preki.

Carts
01-30-2010, 03:32 PM
JDG must LOVE the fact that TFC brought in a 'defensive minded coach' because it fits his style of play...

And to be honest, this is the smart move...

For whatever reason MLSE & TFC felt that a 'defensive midfielder' was the right call for a DP - even though the league is a scrappy, at most times unorganized type of play and in its infancy...

That kind of play doesn't exactly fit a holding, possession based, defensive midfielder...

But, if you're MLSE & TFC, you've made your bed with JDG (for being Canadian or whatever the reason)...

Since you have a highly skilled, high ability, and highly paid DP defensive midfielder, it makes sence to bring in a coach that can build around him...

Preki & JDG should be a perfect fit...

Preki is proven at this level - now it time for JDG to prove himself at this level, because he didn't do that in his few short games last season...

Carts...

TFCRegina
01-30-2010, 04:08 PM
With Al Pacino as our coach, we're gonna be unstoppable.

[NBF]
01-30-2010, 09:37 PM
JC and CC, In my opinion didnt have much to work with as far as getting players who play a similar style and who play cohesively as a team. Forgive me for saying but I dont think TFC could beat Luton Town in a match. I think it would be a close, but the lack of football fitness as well as finishing would kill any hopes to beat a League 1 club.:picard:

Oldtimer
01-30-2010, 09:49 PM
For whatever reason MLSE & TFC felt that a 'defensive midfielder' was the right call for a DP - even though the league is a scrappy, at most times unorganized type of play and in its infancy...

Carts, if you look at play anywhere in CONCACAF, you'll see that defensive teams do very well relative to other teams. That's why the Impact went far in CCL play.

I expect that a strong defensive team will do well against other MLS sides and also in CCL play. In fact, if the new CBA lossens things up sufficiently that TFC can have a large enough and talented enough squad, I could see TFC going far.

That's provided Preki actually gets the additional players that he needs.

ag futbol
01-30-2010, 10:00 PM
;871013']JC and CC, In my opinion didnt have much to work with as far as getting players who play a similar style and who play cohesively as a team. Forgive me for saying but I dont think TFC could beat Luton Town in a match. I think it would be a close, but the lack of football fitness as well as finishing would kill any hopes to beat a League 1 club.:picard:I don't want to start a flame war but.... really ?

Bars92
01-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Oh c'mon, they could beat Luton Town 3-2 at least, Scunthorpe they could beat 3-0 and could easily draw with Burnley.

:drum:

jloome
01-31-2010, 12:22 PM
I don't want to start a flame war but.... really ?

Mostly, I agree with him. Luton would win 2 out of 3 times against us, and so would most League One clubs.

English kids learn to read the game from an early age tactically. North AMerican kids don't, but are physically better athletes.

However, played over a series, the team that reads play well and moves cohesively off the ball is going to beat a team of superior physical specimens who don't know the game nearly as well.

It's the biggest reason why American players take so long to settle in Europe; they're very rough around the edges, despite obvious physical attributes.

And Burnley? YOu must be kidding, mate.

SoccMan
01-31-2010, 01:19 PM
No it's not the fact that JC and CC did not have the players to work with or had too many players who played different styles. It's simply that they had no clue how to coach in this league. It's has nothing to do with whether the MLS is better or worse than League 1 in England it had all to do with not being able to adjust their coaching style to the league they were coaching in. They are both gone now, the best moves this club has made since day one!

Beach_Red
01-31-2010, 02:12 PM
English kids learn to read the game from an early age tactically. North AMerican kids don't, but are physically better athletes.

Why is that, do you think?

I know when I was a kid and we played hockey tournaments in the states the Americans had very good defensemen and goalies, but not the 'free wheeling' forwards we had in Montreal. The reason they gave for that at the time was because defense and goalie could be taught easier - they were reating to what other players did, getting in their way, etc., whereas scoring required more creativity. We played hours and hours of unsupervised pick-up hockey where all anyone wanted to do was score, we had twenty kids and one puck. But the American kids told us they only played hockey at practise and games - they didn't play road hockey or pick-up hockey, they played pick-up basketball.

Is it like with soccer now? Do American kids only play soccer when their parents drive them to practise and games, but in the playgrounds they play basketetball?

Carts
01-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Carts, if you look at play anywhere in CONCACAF, you'll see that defensive teams do very well relative to other teams. That's why the Impact went far in CCL play.

I expect that a strong defensive team will do well against other MLS sides and also in CCL play. In fact, if the new CBA lossens things up sufficiently that TFC can have a large enough and talented enough squad, I could see TFC going far.

That's provided Preki actually gets the additional players that he needs.

That's the key though "provided Preki gets the additional players" - one man can't defend against an attack...

I hope that TFC can provide JDG with the proper support, system & outlets to let his game come through and be an impact...

If not, its wasted...

I have faith in Preki though - he's has success and knows whats needed to win...

Carts...

DoubleUp
01-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Why is that, do you think?

I know when I was a kid and we played hockey tournaments in the states the Americans had very good defensemen and goalies, but not the 'free wheeling' forwards we had in Montreal. The reason they gave for that at the time was because defense and goalie could be taught easier - they were reating to what other players did, getting in their way, etc., whereas scoring required more creativity. We played hours and hours of unsupervised pick-up hockey where all anyone wanted to do was score, we had twenty kids and one puck. But the American kids told us they only played hockey at practise and games - they didn't play road hockey or pick-up hockey, they played pick-up basketball.

Is it like with soccer now? Do American kids only play soccer when their parents drive them to practise and games, but in the playgrounds they play basketetball?
for the most part I think so.

Shakes McQueen
02-01-2010, 02:27 AM

I think that's probably part of it. But I think the other factor is that North American kids just aren't immersed in soccer culture like English kids are. European kids learn by osmosis throughout their entire lives. It's the only game in town

While lots of kids here play soccer at some point, there's a good chance most of them also played baseball, or basketball, or hockey at some point too. They aren't immersed in the same myopic sports culture from the earliest stages of their lives.

- Scott

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-01-2010, 07:45 AM
^ Yeah, exactly. I think that's why most of the best hockey players come from small towns up north- there's not much else to do, so they just spend all their time playing hockey. I got the impression that most of the people I knew who played ice hockey never really played it just for fun, they just played it when their parents drove them to the rink. That's why there are only like two decent hockey players from Brampton... ;) In the most successful nations soccer is pretty much the only sport, and for kids there, it's something they do all day, every day, not just something that happens twice a week at the field behind a rec centre.

Beach_Red
02-01-2010, 11:01 AM
^ That's interesting.

It seems to be the opposite of what people usually tell me, that coaching is so important. I've started to think that kids can be over-coached.

It does seem that by the time kids are teenagers and they get moved from those small towns to bigger cities for the sports programs they've already developed the "love of the game" and a lot of the instincts required.

I wonder if so much coaching at such a young age actually hinders the development of instincts?

Someone must have done a study.

jabbronies
02-01-2010, 11:19 AM
In my experience, alot of coaches over here don't know how to teach the game properly in terms of tactics and strategy. I've had many bonehead coaches that, looking back now, didn't know what they were doing.

My best coach was a italian guy who had played semi pro in the old country. He taught us everything he learned from playing in italy and Spain. Everyone else I've been coached by either played/learned here or only had coaching experience and never played at a higher leve in thier lives.

The two systems were very, very different. the Itallian guy had a system that he stuck to. Every aspect of his coachin was based on that system and multiple variations of that system in case we needed to switch things up.
The North american guys only taught the basics of soccer. There was no strategy or system that we played. It was basic 1v1 style.

^ That's interesting.

It seems to be the opposite of what people usually tell me, that coaching is so important. I've started to think that kids can be over-coached.

It does seem that by the time kids are teenagers and they get moved from those small towns to bigger cities for the sports programs they've already developed the "love of the game" and a lot of the instincts required.

I wonder if so much coaching at such a young age actually hinders the development of instincts?

Someone must have done a study.

Carts
02-01-2010, 11:27 AM
In my experience, alot of coaches over here don't know how to teach the game properly in terms of tactics and strategy. I've had many bonehead coaches that, looking back now, didn't know what they were doing.

This is SO TRUE...

Just think it was even happening in hockey - until Hockey Canada started the 'Performance of Excellence' which has many, many layers - one being the coaching clinics and certificates needed to coach a the lowest levels of the game...

I doubt that will happen anytime soon in footy (other than the easy certification & criminal background check) as it take time, people, and money...

Some soccer clubs have taken on the task themselves of running clinics that coaches must attend - and that is a great step in the right direction...

Its funny, the lowest level of the sport should actually have the highest caliber (educated in the skills of the game) coaches - as they are building the foundation for that player... Many times its unfortunately the opposit...

Carts...

Oldtimer
02-01-2010, 11:37 AM
The North american guys only taught the basics of soccer. There was no strategy or system that we played. It was basic 1v1 style.

Holding the OSA level 1 coaching license, I can tell you that the training of coaches here is pretty minimal, especially considering that the majority don't even have what I have.

Most of what I know is self-taught, from observation, or from my own experience as a player, or from clinics.

A lot of coaches my age didn't even play as youth, they played softball, so at least I know the game.

I saw a huge contrast when we were living in France. My eldest son was on an academy team, and everything was first rate: professional coaches, first rate training, etc., much more focus on development, not so much focus on tournaments and "winning games." The thing is, it's much more easy to land a spot on an academy squad in France than it would be for say, TFC academy, because French clubs have multiple academy teams; The spread a wide net so that they can find the next Zidane or Platini.

Beach_Red
02-01-2010, 12:15 PM
^ Well, they'll certainly take credit for the next Zidane when he comes along ;).

I just wonder if it's possible to teach creativity. We had this argument a lot in the creative writing department.

It's cetrainly possible to teach strategy and skills. Applying them is a different matter.

I hope someday soccer gets into the culture in America the way basketball has. I think you probably need both - the best possible coaching AND the free play.

VPjr
02-01-2010, 05:16 PM
I saw a huge contrast when we were living in France. My eldest son was on an academy team, and everything was first rate: professional coaches, first rate training, etc., much more focus on development, not so much focus on tournaments and "winning games." The thing is, it's much more easy to land a spot on an academy squad in France than it would be for say, TFC academy, because French clubs have multiple academy teams; The spread a wide net so that they can find the next Zidane or Platini.

Curious, what was your cost per year, approx., when your youngster was involved in a club academy in France?

VPjr
02-01-2010, 05:28 PM
I just wonder if it's possible to teach creativity. We had this argument a lot in the creative writing department.

In my humble opinion, you teach creativity, especially at the early ages, by not actively trying to stifle it.

Here, creativity is compulsively stiffled at the youth levels by every coach or parent who stands on the side line that yells "kick it long" or "get rid of it".

My U7 team last summer lost a lot of games by some big scores but we had 2 or 3 boys who had natural individual skill and I tried to encourage them never to worry about turning the ball over while attempting to be offensively creative. I tried to instill some basic soccer principles and worked alot on basic skills like proper ball striking technique, how to trap a ball, how to turn, how to make a proper instep pass, etc.... but, on game day, I was solely focused on making sure the kids that wanted to be there and wanted the ball got a lot of touches. The other 3/4 of the kids were only there because mom and dad felt it was important that they get some exercise.

In many parts of the world, the only way a kid gets involved in organized soccer is if they are actually good and can play. Here we let everyone play, which is lovely, but it does make it hard to get good coaches involved at the younger levels (which are so important). Also, there is far too much emphasis on playing games and tournaments and almost no emphasis on practice at the young ages, which means there is little opportunity to try to help the less naturally talented children to work on their skills (which would make their soccer experience more enjoyable).

jloome
02-01-2010, 05:36 PM
In my humble opinion, you teach creativity, especially at the early ages, by not actively trying to stifle it.

Here, creativity is compulsively stiffled at the youth levels by every coach or parent who stands on the side line that yells "kick it long" or "get rid of it".

My U7 team last summer lost a lot of games by some big scores but we had 2 or 3 boys who had natural individual skill and I tried to encourage them never to worry about turning the ball over while attempting to be offensively creative. I tried to instill some basic soccer principles and worked alot on basic skills like proper ball striking technique, how to trap a ball, how to turn, how to make a proper instep pass, etc.... but, on game day, I was solely focused on making sure the kids that wanted to be there and wanted the ball got a lot of touches. The other 3/4 of the kids were only there because mom and dad felt it was important that they get some exercise.

In many parts of the world, the only way a kid gets involved in organized soccer is if they are actually good and can play. Here we let everyone play, which is lovely, but it does make it hard to get good coaches involved at the younger levels (which are so important). Also, there is far too much emphasis on playing games and tournaments and almost no emphasis on practice at the young ages, which means there is little opportunity to try to help the less naturally talented children to work on their skills (which would make their soccer experience more enjoyable).

Bang on.

I couldn't believe it when I moved here from England and realized that, while far from the best athlete on any of my teams, there were very few other players who had basic technical and tactical coaching.

For example, in England, defenders are taught from an early age to respect their opponent's tactical purpose. If you're covering a winger and, just by giving him a yard without letting him inside, you can take out his crossing option, then you don't go lunging in for the tackle. Stuff like that is taught to you there at age seven, eight. Seriously. I was taught dribbling technique using cones and moving targets in pre-school there.

It sure as heck wasn't due to the amount of organized cohesion, as seems to be the belief in Canada; it was just so culturally ingrained that every average community coach knew this stuff, just as with hockey here.

We can't change that just with good structure and improved coaching; it has to be with a grassroots-up recognition of sport as a vehicle for support and community. When we have a pro Canadian league, a couple of feeder leagues under it and every amateur team under that aspiring to move up -- along with TV coverage, of course -- we'll be a lot closer.

Whoop
02-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Sports are too organized in NA at the child level, talking under 10-11 here.

All sports.

Beach_Red
02-01-2010, 05:42 PM
We can't change that just with good structure and improved coaching; it has to be with a grassroots-up recognition of sport as a vehicle for support and community. When we have a pro Canadian league, a couple of feeder leagues under it and every amateur team under that aspiring to move up -- along with TV coverage, of course -- we'll be a lot closer.

Sorry, I don't know what that means.

jloome
02-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Sorry, I don't know what that means.

People have to be willing to back socccer because it's a wonderful activity first and foremost to both play and support , and be willing to build clubs at the community level for the same reasons, not just to "draw" a certain number or bring in a certain level of revenue.

In other words, if we only attach corporate value to football -- the pro league is everything, our participation in MLS is everything, etc. -- it will be hard in a country as disparate and far-flung as Canada to bring about the local level of popularity, particularly in smaller communities, that ingrains a sport into culture.

Kids will play it in huge numbers because it's cheap. But they won't talk about, debate it, dream about doing it professionally. It's more day care than national pasttime.

For that cultural change, you need grassroots support locally to become structured, as it might if a profit motive were involved, but with the end result being the benefit to the game itself, not just an individual's pocketbook. You need coaches to recognize their own limitations and strive to improve.

You need the best elements to come together for the love of the game, locally.

Oldtimer
02-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Curious, what was your cost per year, approx., when your youngster was involved in a club academy in France?

$35. He had to pay for the warm-up suit. That was it.

Beach_Red
02-01-2010, 10:51 PM
People have to be willing to back socccer because it's a wonderful activity first and foremost to both play and support , and be willing to build clubs at the community level for the same reasons, not just to "draw" a certain number or bring in a certain level of revenue.

In other words, if we only attach corporate value to football -- the pro league is everything, our participation in MLS is everything, etc. -- it will be hard in a country as disparate and far-flung as Canada to bring about the local level of popularity, particularly in smaller communities, that ingrains a sport into culture.

Kids will play it in huge numbers because it's cheap. But they won't talk about, debate it, dream about doing it professionally. It's more day care than national pasttime.

For that cultural change, you need grassroots support locally to become structured, as it might if a profit motive were involved, but with the end result being the benefit to the game itself, not just an individual's pocketbook. You need coaches to recognize their own limitations and strive to improve.

You need the best elements to come together for the love of the game, locally.

Oh, I get it, you mean the way Americans do it with high school and college football and basketball - people have a connection to their community school and their local college and its teams. That "ingrains a sport into culture."

Yes, we've never been very good at that Canada.

Whoop
02-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Canada does that have that in hockey. But outside of the major cities.