PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday,Jan.30

denime
01-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Mornin'

Preki Ready For Preseason, Barrett injured (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100129&content_id=7995128&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

MLS, Players Union Negotiations Continue (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100129&content_id=7993696&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Captain Canada (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/01/29/canada_jamaica/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

scooter
01-30-2010, 08:16 AM
mornin d

Oldtimer
01-30-2010, 08:25 AM
An interesting point in the article on Dero captaining Canada:

Hart says all five of his uncapped players will probably see action against Jamaica, which is also missing part of its European-based arsenal.smart idea, cap-tie them before they decide to play for their great-grandfather's country.

Other uncapped players are forward Randy Edwini-Bonsu of the Vancouver Whitecaps, defender Nana Attakora of Toronto FC, midfielder Massih Wassey of FC Schalke 04 and midfielder Carlos Rivas, who is unattached.

Parkdale
01-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Preki Ready For Preseason, Barrett injured (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100129&content_id=7995128&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

There are still additions to be made to the squad before the season kicks off in Columbus on March 27th, and Preki will continue to look at all available options for strengthening his team. "Every day we will be looking at....

I think he meant to say New England! ;)

King Jeff
01-30-2010, 08:58 AM
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/abb7d004-0d3e-11df-af79-00144feabdc0.html

Simon Kuper on soccer's rise in Canada. Interesting reading.

CretanBull
01-30-2010, 10:17 AM

Great article, I think all of us here can relate. Is there a sports writer in the who's better than Simon Kuper? I don't think so...

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-30-2010, 10:25 AM

smart idea, cap-tie them before they decide to play for their great-grandfather's country.
Unfortunately, now featuring in a friendly does not make you cap-tied to your country, which really f**ks us over because we now have two whole years until our next actual competitive match.

massive_magpie
01-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Morning D!

It really strikes me as odd that Preki has not met with any of our players (so is my impression), not even the captains/leaders of the team.

I can understand that you don't have to be a player's coach to achieve results, but you definitely eliminate any grey area between being loved and hated by doing this, especially with a headstrong/vocal group of players like ours. Maybe this is what's required, our previous two coaches we're player's coaches.

James17930
01-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Great article, I think all of us here can relate. Is there a sports writer in the who's better than Simon Kuper? I don't think so...

"Hockey is a way for Canadians to commune with their landscape, like the Swiss skiing or Americans watching basketball in air-conditioned malls."

:lol:

Go Raptors!

Oldtimer
01-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Morning D!

It really strikes me as odd that Preki has not met with any of our players (so is my impression), not even the captains/leaders of the team.

The CBA doesn't allow players to be called in before Feb 1st.

massive_magpie
01-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the info, the rules in this league continue to amaze me!

ginkster88
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info, the rules in this league continue to amaze me!

I think it's standard in every major league. Players in other leagues have no obligation to report until training camp begins, and cannot be required to. I know that the NFL has strict regulations about optional off-season workouts; if the teams requests they be there for off-season workouts they can show up if they want to and I'm sure this is no different.

Broadview
01-30-2010, 01:16 PM

That was my understanding as well, so I was scratching my head over the kerfuffle in Seattle when Ljungberg didn't report "on time".

Also, aren't New York training in Europe right now?

Confusing to me.

TFC07
01-30-2010, 01:17 PM

Not surprising to read at all. You can see hockey dying in Toronto slowly. Younger people (25 and under) in the city are more into basketball and soccer nowadays than they're in hockey, football and baseball. Hockey isn't viewed "hip" anymore.

ginkster88
01-30-2010, 01:35 PM
I find this quote ridiculous: "The new soccer team Toronto FC last year averaged attendances of 20,344, about 1,000 more than the iconic Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team."

That means nothing. Why did TFC average more? Because BMO is bigger than the ACC. Good on TFC for selling out their stadium, now lets see them do it for another decade. We get excited about USL teams possibly coming to Hamilton and Ottawa, and Vancouver and Montreal (perhaps) joining MLS. Yet look at the already established hockey markets in three of those cities, and the incessant clamouring for the NHL in Hamilton or somewhere further along the Windsor corridor. Look at the national TV numbers for a Jr. hockey tournament. The notion that soccer will soon equal (or is he arguing that it will replace?) hockey in Canada is interesting to think about for a moment, but entirely ludicrous once you do...

rocker
01-30-2010, 02:56 PM

yup.. and Preki also said in an interview last fall he wanted to let the players relax and enjoy their offseason. No need to call them up and chat when it's holidays. Obviously he knows what it was like to be a player!

sully
01-30-2010, 06:24 PM
I find this quote ridiculous: "The new soccer team Toronto FC last year averaged attendances of 20,344, about 1,000 more than the iconic Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team."

That means nothing. Why did TFC average more? Because BMO is bigger than the ACC. Good on TFC for selling out their stadium, now lets see them do it for another decade. We get excited about USL teams possibly coming to Hamilton and Ottawa, and Vancouver and Montreal (perhaps) joining MLS. Yet look at the already established hockey markets in three of those cities, and the incessant clamouring for the NHL in Hamilton or somewhere further along the Windsor corridor. Look at the national TV numbers for a Jr. hockey tournament. The notion that soccer will soon equal (or is he arguing that it will replace?) hockey in Canada is interesting to think about for a moment, but entirely ludicrous once you do...

I see your point but it's a matter of perspective really. The notion in the article is about registered players and participation. Now if you're talking about tradition and big money when that's a different notion altogether..

Roogsy
01-30-2010, 06:35 PM

smart idea, cap-tie them before they decide to play for their great-grandfather's country.

I am confused. Someone told me weeks ago that friendlies don't cap-tie these players. They still have the opportunity to play for other countries until playing in games that qualify.

If anyone can clear this up I'd be thankful.

TFCRegina
01-30-2010, 06:50 PM
I was of the idea that it had to be a FIFA date friendly to count. This is not a FIFA date.

ginkster88
01-31-2010, 04:57 AM
I see your point but it's a matter of perspective really. The notion in the article is about registered players and participation. Now if you're talking about tradition and big money when that's a different notion altogether..

Which perspective are we talking about? The one that can see the entirety of the Canadian sports marketplace or the one that is deeply entrenched in Canada's hottest soccer market?

The article invokes more than registered players and participation when its author brings up the Hockey Hall of Fame and Toronto FC attendance numbers. It seeks to further the notion that soccer is close to passing hockey in the national consciousness. That assertion could not be further from the truth and the article made for all around frustrating reading.

boomcha
02-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Any idea where this girl dances? ;)