PDA

View Full Version : Who should get the armband for 2010?

Damien
01-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Yep, another poll.... I thought this will give us a better idea of who we'd like to see as a group rather than individual opinion.

Cheers,
D.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-29-2010, 03:35 PM
whos the captain for the nats?
Stalteri?
Have DeRo or DeGuzman ever been captain before?

Damien
01-29-2010, 03:36 PM
^ hence an option for keeping Jimmy B or "other"

SteeltownBhoy
01-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Gomez

Whoop
01-29-2010, 03:45 PM
DeRo doesn't strike me as captain material.

Especially when all you hear about him lately is issues with salary.

De Guzman appears to be more of a leader to me than DeRo, but you give him the armband and that's going to open another can of worms.

I voted for "other" and just came to the realization that TFC doesn't have any leaders.

I say give it to Nana.

ManUtd4ever
01-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Considering that Brennan has been re-signed it is only fair that he retain his captaincy. Let the man retire with dignity and then appoint another skipper...

dantdot
01-29-2010, 03:55 PM
DeRo, Montreal game. That is all.

TFCtoMUFC
01-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Nana, Sanyang or Cronin.

wzhxvy
01-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Give it to Nick Garcia...WHO IS STILL ON THIS TEAM !!!!! how is that possible ?

BuSaPuNk
01-29-2010, 04:25 PM
I like to have a leader that leads by example. DeRo gets my vote. This is only if Jimmy B steps down. I don't think striping him of the armband does any good at all.

Brooker
01-29-2010, 04:57 PM
judging by the way DeRo reacted to JDG getting the DP slot, I can't imagine he'd be happy with JDG being picked captain over him, aswell. that is of course if DeRo cares about being captain.

Batman
01-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Jimmy is fine by me.
A lot of issues need to be addressed, but I see no reason to stir this up in any way.

Luca
01-29-2010, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't mind Jimmy keeping it, given that there's little reason to appoint another.

Darlofletch
01-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Jimmy. If only cos there's no really good candidate i can think of to take it off him right now.

RPLProducer
01-29-2010, 06:41 PM
jimmy had a bad year last season and his man marking was atrocious at times but the man has a heart of a lion. he's done so much for the squad since it's inception and in my books he's earned his captaincy. for petes sake he once played out of position and with broken ribs for us. i'd put him at left mid to let him focus more on the attack and thus limiting his defensive responsibilities.

gtaguy
01-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Dero is my natural choice.. He's a voice in the locker room (good or bad) and a presence in the game . although keeping status quo just to preserve bad vibes is good aswell..

kodiakTFC
01-29-2010, 08:25 PM
For all we know Brennan is the leader in the locker room, captaincy isn't just based on who scores the most goals.

eagles8
01-29-2010, 09:24 PM
At minimum the captain has to be part of the starting 11. Surely that rules out Jimmy B.

james
01-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Jimmy B seems like a good guy, but i dont think hes good enough to be a captain, he wont be playing as much this year, he wont be a starting 11 for most games.

Also seems he couldnt keep the team together this passed season as it was seen having players fighting amongst themselfs off the field.

king dave
01-30-2010, 12:49 AM
DeRo doesn't strike me as captain material.

Especially when all you hear about him lately is issues with salary.

De Guzman appears to be more of a leader to me than DeRo, but you give him the armband and that's going to open another can of worms.

I voted for "other" and just came to the realization that TFC doesn't have any leaders.

I say give it to Nana.
+1 there Vic!!
Pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.
KD.

torontocelt
01-30-2010, 08:38 AM
I would have to say JDG. He has the most experience playing internationally for good clubs in a good league. He plays in the middle of the park between defence and attack so has a good vantage point of the game and what is going on around him. He has good ball retention skills which should allow him to control more of the game and and act on what he is wanting the team to do rather than just saying it, he should also be able to calm the team down a bit when under pressure and this has been missing I feel. He is definitely in the top two players at the club and he is paid the most, for me it would be a bit weird to pay a guy top dollar and not have him as captain when he is a definite candidate to be one.

I love DeRo and I have seen him drag the team to victories in the past, that is definitely captain material. I just feel that DeRo will always be a big player and big voice for the club no matter what and I don't feel he needs the arm band to continue this. I would not want TFC to become exclusively the DeRo show and I feel it would be a bit like that if he got the arm band. Other players have got to prove more influential for the team to develop and i think giving the arm band to JDG would have a positive affect for the whole team. DeRo will still continue to fight the teams causes without the arm band and he will probably be able to do it better by not being captain as he will not have managment in his ear about stuff as much.

As for Brennan i am shocked he is still even being considered. In my opinion he is not captain material, his performances are usually mediocre at best and other players look to their captain to inspire and for me he does not deliver. I stand next to a couple of guys in the south stand who hate him and shout abuse at him every game and it drives me nuts, he does not deserve that, he tries his best and has the clubs interests at heart. His downfall is that he is simply not a very good player and by being captain he is an even bigger target for the boo boys. I expect he might do better without the burden of the arm band and perhaps contribute more than he has done the past couple of seasons.

barca99
01-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Figured it fit in here:

THE CANADIAN PRESS
Dwayne De Rosario, who had a falling out with former Canadian coach Dale Mitchell, has been handed the captain's armband by new coach Stephen Hart for Sunday's exhibition soccer game in Jamaica.

Gixmo
01-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Maybe DeGuz, Maybe Serioux, Maybe Robbo....?

felipe
01-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Gotta go with Barrett

swan
01-30-2010, 02:10 PM
why the hell should Deguz get it the guy is only here for the big payday and no one eles wanted him for that money...

Dero may be the best player and got the most goals but the guy is a ball hog and that shows lack of trust in his team mates and that he only care for himself...

yeah jimmy had a bad year and maybe he ain't the biggest loudest player out there but who said you have to be, just look at stevie Y... one of the best captians that there ever was..

if ain't jimmy someone eles other then those 2...

Juanito
01-30-2010, 02:37 PM
I don't think the other boys play for Brennan. They may play for de Rosario or de Guzman.

ArmenJBX
01-30-2010, 04:47 PM
It depends on the lineup. If Jimmy B has a full role this year, let him keep it. If he's gunna be a bench player, which is the most likely situation, If that's the case, it goes to Robbo, if he's starting. Again, not likely.

In the end of the day, it'll be going to someone who's not really a leader. The only other captain I see on the lineup is Nick Garcia, which is sad.

I can see Sam Cronin captaining this side, but not now. He's much too young. Stefan Frei same story, but he doesn't command a lot either.

As of right now, I'd hand it to De Rosario just because he carries this team, and if I remember correctly, those games that Jimmy came off and Robbo wasn't playing, De Ro got the band. Is he the right man? Maybe not. But he's the best we got.

I'd love to grab Stalteri, that would solve a lot of issues. New captain, good, solid, Canadian center back....get on it Mo! :D

MartinUtd
01-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Maybe DeGuz, Maybe Serioux, Maybe Robbo....?

I voted DeRo but you have a point there with the much overlooked Carl Robinson. Wasn't he "co-captain" or something like that at one point? It'd be a shame if his contribution was taken for granted.

v00d00daddy
01-30-2010, 10:05 PM
The captain has to be a guy that the veterans respect and the young guys aspire to become. He also has to have the ability to be diplomatic with the officials and not be a whiner with them.

That rules out pretty much everybody except DeGuzman and nobody really knows what we're going to get from him.

I say we captain by committee until somebody shows they deserve it.

Personally...I would never play for a captain with the skill set that Jimmy B or Robbo, or one with an attitude like DeRo...so what do you have left?

Tough decision.

tfc2007
01-31-2010, 01:25 AM
The captain has to be a guy that the veterans respect and the young guys aspire to become. He also has to have the ability to be diplomatic with the officials and not be a whiner with them.

That rules out pretty much everybody except DeGuzman and nobody really knows what we're going to get from him.

I say we captain by committee until somebody shows they deserve it.

Personally...I would never play for a captain with the skill set that Jimmy B or Robbo, or one with an attitude like DeRo...so what do you have left?

Tough decision.

100% agree with that statement. DeRo, to me, seems very full of himself. He often talks about his own stats, and even when he talks about the team, it still has to do with his own stats (ie. making the playoffs every single season)

canadian_bhoy
02-01-2010, 09:45 AM
jimmy had a bad year last season and his man marking was atrocious at times but the man has a heart of a lion. he's done so much for the squad since it's inception and in my books he's earned his captaincy. for petes sake he once played out of position and with broken ribs for us. i'd put him at left mid to let him focus more on the attack and thus limiting his defensive responsibilities.

I agree. A captain isn't always the "best" player on the team. It should be the person who embodies what the team is all about. Jimmy does that. Plays with heart and passion.

Besides, how can you not love a player who gives his jersey to a pitch invader...and have we so quickly forgotten about the "Get up you c**t" comment in New England? Amazing.

Roogsy
02-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I am still pretty pissed they took the jersey from him...sure, the guy was an idiot for running on the pitch. But security had no place to take the jersey away from him that Jimmy personally gave him.

stugautz
02-01-2010, 10:04 AM
A captain should be the leader, not the best player. He should be able to rally the troops when needed, stick up for somebody being pushed around, let the ref know when he's fucked up or put the fear of god in anybody that's under performing. DeRo doesn't fit the mold of leader.

Pachuco
02-01-2010, 10:12 AM
A captain should be the leader, not the best player. He should be able to rally the troops when needed, stick up for somebody being pushed around, let the ref know when he's fucked up or put the fear of god in anybody that's under performing. DeRo doesn't fit the mold of leader.

I don't understand. Everything you said fits Dero to a tee.

He should be able to rally the troops when needed - Montreal anyone?
stick up for somebody being pushed around - I saw him more then once get in the middle of an argument last year that he wasn't part of to begin with. There was one game that sticks out where he was defending Nana I think.
let the ref know when he's fucked up - I'm sure you've seen Dero do this.

I'm not sure if you are for keeping Brennan, but the reality is a captain can't do those things from the bench. If Brennan isn't going to be a full timer then we need a new captain. That's a big IF. At the end of the day I think Brennan should have a shot at playing for a starting 11 during pre-season and if he's in the starting 11 then there's no reason to take the captaincy away.

jabbronies
02-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't understand. Everything you said fits Dero to a tee.

I wouldn't put Dero as a captain. he's a great player, but i think he gets very emotionaly involved somtimes. A captain needs to keep his emotions in check at times, i don't think Dero can do that. He gets pissed very easily and is not afraid to show it. Definatly one of his downfalls.

Pachuco
02-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't put Dero as a captain. he's a great player, but i think he gets very emotionaly involved somtimes. A captain needs to keep his emotions in check at times, i don't think Dero can do that. He gets pissed very easily and is not afraid to show it. Definatly one of his downfalls.

I don't disagree with you there. I do believe that can be one of his downfalls as well. Personally I think serioux would make a great captain but for all we know he won't even get a contract offer.

FluSH
02-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I agree. A captain isn't always the "best" player on the team. It should be the person who embodies what the team is all about. Jimmy does that. Plays with heart and passion.

Besides, how can you not love a player who gives his jersey to a pitch invader...and have we so quickly forgotten about the "Get up you c**t" comment in New England? Amazing.

Hear Hear

+1

Cashcleaner
02-01-2010, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't put Dero as a captain. he's a great player, but i think he gets very emotionaly involved somtimes. A captain needs to keep his emotions in check at times, i don't think Dero can do that. He gets pissed very easily and is not afraid to show it. Defiantly one of his downfalls.

I agree with this, and also the fact that with so much often riding on him over the course of a match, further adding the mantle of captaincy would be too much.

fetajr
02-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Dion Phaneuf

v00d00daddy
02-01-2010, 02:35 PM

The problem is that for every one of those great Brennan moments that you mentioned, there are 1-2 terrible Brennan plays a game.

He can play with a broken hand and call people cunts all he wants but when he starts to look (really)bad on the field he does just as much to embarrass TFC as he does to embody TFC.

It takes a lot of things to be the captain. Some of those things Jimmy has....others he doesn't. One big thing is that you have to be ONE of the best players on the team...and he's not that anymore.

flambe
02-01-2010, 05:01 PM
A captain needs to play, if JB is getting the minutes then he should retain it.

DeRo is a NoNo, he's a great player, but too pissy and whiney IMO. If anyone mentions Montreal one more time, jesus, they were gifted that game.

Cronin would be great in a few years, and if Chudley could score a few, I would reward his heart and commitment too. Nana also fits into the "in a few years" bucket.

JDG is too new and hasn't done anything worthwhile yet.

It's a tough one.....

bones
02-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Our new Captain may not be on our team yet?

My vote is for Jimmy B until then.

Bones...

bertal
02-01-2010, 05:22 PM
jimmy/robbo/dero

Baggio2TFC
02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Jorge Andrade!!!

Nuvinho
02-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Dion Phaneuf

decent sized CB....definately no one would come in the box....haha!!

Technorgasm
02-02-2010, 05:11 PM
This has got to be a done deal by now. . . .

I mean , his numbers alone prove (he is a Red) that he leads the Squaaad.

DERO

sweetlemon69
02-04-2010, 07:42 AM
LOL @ Jimmy B keeps it. He's the last person I see trying to raise spirits when we're down 3-0...

Fort York Redcoat
02-04-2010, 07:54 AM
It's DeRo's time. Let's see how he can lead. I hope it will light a fire under JDG.

Dirk Diggler
02-04-2010, 08:57 PM
I nominate John Terry.

Jeffro
02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
They've already passed the armband....

To me. (see avatar)

King Tut
02-05-2010, 02:13 AM
JIM BRENNAN

Belfast_Boy
02-05-2010, 01:39 PM
I nominate John Terry.

LOL, hide your women!

I'd say Dero. lets see if he can lead. he's been outspoken about the grass and other shit.

Hitcho
02-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Too late, they've just given it to Rio Ferdinand.

At least he should shore up our back line a bit.

JuliquE
02-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Going out on a limb, here (by my standards, anyway).. but I think DeRo should get the armband.

I don't think he has all the qualities, but people often rise to the occasion when opportunity meets them. This would be cause enough for him to look in the mirror a bit, out of concern for how his peers might perceive him ($$$).

We all would probably agree that he, at least, has the potential - put it to the test! At thirty-two, he's not a long-term threat to hold the spot at ransom (if failed).

Tschuess.

trane
02-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I was going to nominate John Terry, we need a CB anyway, cunt or no cunt. As someone already nominated him, I second the nomination.

John Terry for TFC Captain.