PDA

View Full Version : PU: Signed U-23 U.S. National Team defender Michael Orozco

pekduck
01-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Philadelphia Union Agree to Deal with Michael Orozco
The club acquired the top spot in the allocation order thanks to a deal with
Red Bull New York
En Espanol (http://now.eloqua.com/e/er.aspx?s=919&lid=92&elq=555be38b01eb40a1b95557b863eded03)

CHESTER, PA (January 29, 2010) - Philadelphia Union continue to bolster their roster with some of the nation’s top talent, announcing the acquisition of U-23 U.S. National Team defender Michael Orozco. Orozco is on loan from Mexican First Division team San Luis FC, where he spent the last three years playing. Per club and Major League Soccer policy, terms of the player’s contract and loan are confidential.

“We are happy to have Michael join us,” said Team Manager Peter Nowak. “It is great to have a player at the top of his game show his desire and commitment. We hope to have him as an anchor at the back of our defense for a long time to come.”

Philadelphia Union was able to sign Orozco thanks to a deal with Red Bull New York, in which Philadelphia sent allocation money to NY in exchange for the Red Bulls’ top spot in the Major League Soccer allocation order.

“This is a great acquisition for Philadelphia Union, and for MLS as a whole,” explained Nick Sakiewicz, Philadelphia Union CEO & Operating Partner. “As a Mexican American, growing up and learning the game in Orange County, California, Michael later matured as a young professional at the highest levels in Mexico. For him to want to continue his career with Philadelphia Union is a very powerful statement about us and MLS.”

Signed by San Luis in 2006, Orozco found a spot in the club’s starting line-up during the 2007 season and made 16 appearances on the team’s run to the quarterfinals of the Clausura Tournament. Last season, Orozco started in 28 games and scored four goals, including one in the prestigious Copa Libertadores.

Orozco helped the U.S. U-23 team qualify for the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, a team that also included current Philadelphia Union team member Chris Seitz. A member of the U.S. National Team player pool since 2004, Orozco was named one of the Best XI during the 2008 CONCACAF Men’s Olympic Qualifying round.

Darlofletch
01-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Mmmmmm. I love Mo's 5 year plan. Screw trying to build a good squad right from the start, that would just be unrealistic.

pekduck
01-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Mmmmmm. I love Mo's 5 year plan. Screw trying to build a good squad right from the start, that would just be unrealistic.

I think his 5 year plan is really meant to illustrate to other expansion teams what NOT to do. So the new teams that learned from it did well.

Granted, US team has an easier time getting US U23 players.

rocker
01-29-2010, 05:13 PM
is this defender worth it?

anyhow, they got the guy because they paid some of their huge expansion allocation money to the shite bulls to get at the top of the order. Is that a good move? we'll see how he turns out.

ag futbol
01-29-2010, 06:24 PM
is this defender worth it?

anyhow, they got the guy because they paid some of their huge expansion allocation money to the shite bulls to get at the top of the order. Is that a good move? we'll see how he turns out.

Orozco started in the mexican first division on the regular before having a fallout with his coach. He's 23 and for for allocation money, yes i'd say he's worth it.

I'm not impressed with their roster overall, but this is a good signing.

Nuvinho
01-29-2010, 06:41 PM
They now have Orozco, Califf, and Thomas. I know Orozco can also play wingback...but maybe Thomas could be available.