PDA

View Full Version : NYRB to introduce smart cards

canadian_bhoy
01-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Much better than a membership scheme. Smart cards will be used at red bull arena along with concessions and team store.

Kinda like the Tim Horton's card.

http://www.thekinoffish.blogspot.com/
-Full season ticket holders will have their RB tickets delivered via a smart card. STHs will tap the card at the turnstile to gain entrance to RBA. The cards will be used at concession stands and the team store, and reward points will be awarded for purchases. Eventually, sponsors may take part in the RB smart-card program as well.

Oldtimer
01-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Eliminates scalpers, major upside.

Makes it hard to give tix to a friend (you have to loan them the card). Downside.

Bloor West FC
01-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Oh thats bad, can you imagine with MLSE prices the debt that we would owe at the end of each game LOL :). Not good at all.
Much better than a membership scheme. Smart cards will be used at red bull arena along with concessions and team store.

-Full season ticket holders will have their RB tickets delivered via a smart card. STHs will tap the card at the turnstile to gain entrance to RBA. The cards will be used at concession stands and the team store, and reward points will be awarded for purchases. Eventually, sponsors may take part in the RB smart-card program as well.

JonO
01-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Eliminates scalpers, major upside.

Makes it hard to give tix to a friend (you have to loan them the card). Downside.
Actually, it shouldn't be a problem e-mail tickets like we do now. That game would simply be removed from the database when the tix are e-mailed and if someone tried to use their card it wouldn't work for that game...

Whoop
01-29-2010, 12:43 PM
I wonder with all drinking how many people would lose their card?

stugautz
01-29-2010, 12:55 PM
I'd love to see TFC adopt a system like this. I can see the obvious benefits from a business perspective for the data mining opportunities (and the questions that would be raised if 15 tickets were emailed and there was no use of the card inside stadium).

From a fans perspective it eliminates waits at the ATM machine as we could have automatic top ups for our cards with any remaining balance at the end of the season being moved to our season ticket purchases for the following year. Throw some RFID sensors into the cards so they could monitor which cards pass through certain sections and notify security when you're in the wrong area! Or notify EMS if you have gone to the washroom one too many times during a game.

JonO
01-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Throw some RFID sensors into the cards so they could monitor which cards pass through certain sections and notify security when you're in the wrong area!
You had me 'til this part. Aside from the obvious privacy rights questions, RFID readers are still pretty low range, so it would be a hack of a system for TFC to set up. Maybe at each entrance?

FluSH
01-29-2010, 01:05 PM

Great idea, however this could potentially stop scalpers. So therefore, MLSE won't even consider this idea.

Hitcho
01-29-2010, 01:14 PM
I wonder with all drinking how many people would lose their card?

They can probably be cancelled and re-issued to stop any issues that arise from lost cards, although bet there will be a tasty fee for doing so!

Then again, the red bulls are shite, so myabe their FO is going to issue them with negotiable bearer bond style smart cards. Which would be shite. So fucking shite. :D

redtfcred
01-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Great idea, however this could potentially stop scalpers. So therefore, MLSE won't even consider this idea.

You are right sir >>

Plus who the fuck gives a shit about Scalpers , it is what it is .

bring on the card

stugautz
01-29-2010, 01:59 PM
You had me 'til this part. Aside from the obvious privacy rights questions, RFID readers are still pretty low range, so it would be a hack of a system for TFC to set up. Maybe at each entrance?

Just trying to think like MLS$

werewolf
01-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Quality move. They are still shite 99% of the time. But I applaud them for this.

Hitcho
01-29-2010, 02:21 PM
You are right sir >>

Plus who the fuck gives a shit about Scalpers , it is what it is .

bring on the card

Well that's an interesting approach to life! :D

And I would think that everyone on these boards who wants season tickets but cannot get them because scalpers have so many probably gives a fuck. Not to nit pick, just answering the question you posted! :p

gtaguy
01-29-2010, 07:07 PM
As for scalpers they are like cockroaches, they never die or dissapear.. as for the smart card it would be excellent aslong as i can sell my tickets when i can't make it to a game.. However that won't stop scalpers from doing thier business i think.

rocker
01-29-2010, 07:33 PM
well, they'd have to have a printing option for people who want to forward the tickets to somebody. so scalpers would just print the tickets for themselves on thicker paper, and sell the printouts.

prizby
01-29-2010, 08:23 PM
PB - when we getting cards?

prizby
01-29-2010, 08:24 PM
oh and what about those that split seasons?

ensco
01-30-2010, 03:52 PM
It's 100% the way to go. Some Bundesliga teams already do this (Frankfurt for sure, others also). You can still email tickets, it doesn't prevent that at all.

This really speeds up concessions. You have to buy a card from a stand-alone kiosk, if you're not an SSH, in order to get a beer or a wurstli. The concessions themselves have no cash, they just scan cards.

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-30-2010, 03:58 PM
This is a pretty cool idea. Red Bulls certainly seem to be taking it to another level now that they're getting their own stadium. I'm also impressed with their preseason, they're playing CSKA Moscow in Spain, whereas we'll be playing the Correspondence College of Tampa in Clearwater.

redtfcred
01-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Well that's an interesting approach to life! :D

And I would think that everyone on these boards who wants season tickets but cannot get them because scalpers have so many probably gives a fuck. Not to nit pick, just answering the question you posted! :p

I remember being proactive and getting tickets when the team was announced / it was great, had seasons ever since ..
it got all cool after the first season / snooze and looze is what I say .
scalpers are a nec evil in sports / I don't worry about people that can't get seasons either does TFC ..
cheers

canadian_bhoy
01-31-2010, 10:12 AM
This is a pretty cool idea. Red Bulls certainly seem to be taking it to another level now that they're getting their own stadium. I'm also impressed with their preseason, they're playing CSKA Moscow in Spain, whereas we'll be playing the Correspondence College of Tampa in Clearwater.

And we're going to kick their theaten fearing asses!

redtfcred
01-31-2010, 10:15 AM
TFC is never first at doing groundbreaking things , ie smartcard .. they are a big corp that does everything safe and basically crawls along excepting mediocrity and taking everyones money ..

canadian_bhoy
01-31-2010, 10:19 AM
TFC is never first at doing groundbreaking things , ie smartcard .. they are a big corp that does everything safe and basically crawls along excepting mediocrity and taking everyones money ..

I don't agree with that. TFC singlehandedly changed the MLS. For all the amazing things that the supporters have done, it was the mindset of the FO that made it all possible.

They used a different model. No mascots, no cheerleaders, just ask the fans what they want and then deliver it as best as they can.

TFC has become the model for all new MLS clubs thanks to their groundbreaking efforts.

redtfcred
01-31-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't agree with that. TFC singlehandedly changed the MLS. For all the amazing things that the supporters have done, it was the mindset of the FO that made it all possible.

They used a different model. No mascots, no cheerleaders, just ask the fans what they want and then deliver it as best as they can.

TFC has become the model for all new MLS clubs thanks to their groundbreaking efforts.

OMG please give me one example of what they did / Jack astors change a loser into a bigger loser..
Please let me know what they did other then shit a golden goose..They had no idea it would take off the way it did ..
The supporters made this event what it is .. Period !!!
what has TFC done honestly , besides increase prices and lose for 3 years running>> lets debate sir

redtfcred
01-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Changed the MLS I am sorry but that makes me fall over in my chair ..hahahahah
every other team in MLS that is getting new stadiums that are actually nice and creative / innovative .. We are finally getting grass which is amazing .. But my lord one of the nicest stadium locations in the world and we built a high school stadium // with turf

canadian_bhoy
01-31-2010, 10:36 AM
OMG please give me one example of what they did / Jack astors change a loser into a bigger loser..
Please let me know what they did other then shit a golden goose..They had no idea it would take off the way it did ..
The supporters made this event what it is .. Period !!!
what has TFC done honestly , besides increase prices and lose for 3 years running>> lets debate sir

The first thing they did was spend a lot of time in 2006 going to bars to sit down with fans and listen. Their biggest question was "what do you want". In my experience as a sports fan, that's not very common.

TFC's groundbreaking work in MLS isn't so much about introducing new gadgets like the smart card, it's about their attitude and approach to running the team.

Of course the fans make the atmosphere, but TFC could have easily taken a traditional approach and pumped in music or had promo people harassing you every 10 seconds...but they didn't.

They took the time to listen to the fans and learn what a legitimate soccer experience is. In MLS, that was pretty groundbreaking.

Look at the Seattle Sounders. They copied a ton from TFC right down to the scarf as your ticket idea. If TFC weren't groundbreaking, then people wouldn't copy them.

redtfcred
01-31-2010, 10:48 AM
The first thing they did was spend a lot of time in 2006 going to bars to sit down with fans and listen. Their biggest question was "what do you want". In my experience as a sports fan, that's not very common.

TFC's groundbreaking work in MLS isn't so much about introducing new gadgets like the smart card, it's about their attitude and approach to running the team.

Of course the fans make the atmosphere, but TFC could have easily taken a traditional approach and pumped in music or had promo people harassing you every 10 seconds...but they didn't.

They took the time to listen to the fans and learn what a legitimate soccer experience is. In MLS, that was pretty groundbreaking.

Look at the Seattle Sounders. They copied a ton from TFC right down to the scarf as your ticket idea. If TFC weren't groundbreaking, then people wouldn't copy them.

I have seen several of your posts and replies and you always seem to have a great pov and very intelligent responses .. But u must have been sipped some mlse cool aid ..IMO they have done absolutely nothing groundbreaking . In fact i am 100% sure if you ran or made decisions for TFC the grounds and the whole exp would be very very different??
I have heard right from PB @ FO mouth that the "suporters " are only a small voice in a huge season ticket pool .. I have watched the inner working of TFC and realized for the most part they bumble threw everything they do .. Their model believe it or not is NOT groundbreaking in fact they run off the Leafs and raptors model for the most part .. I do feel this shitty sports corp has dropped the ball in many many ways ..They had a chance to really be groundbreaking and go "euro " in a sense ..Thats what the RB's are doing ..
Obviously FO has you thinking the right things they make u feel as tho u have a say .. You really need to rethink your definition of Groundbreaking..

I am very excited about the grass don't get me wrong but this team would be a 1000 times better if that Cancer MLSE corp didn't own them , and Paul has got all the supporters fooled badly , it only take a few witty posts and a few shitty scoops .. I do remember u in year one doing a pretty cool video tta gave people a good perspective of what goes on .. What happened supporters got pushed out of stuff like that / shocking / then shitty TFCtv came out //
I am right here / at least in my mind :):)

redtfcred
01-31-2010, 10:50 AM
I think its time for both of us to go enjoy Man U vs Arshole

Bluenose13
01-31-2010, 11:06 AM

Look at the Seattle Sounders. They copied a ton from TFC right down to the scarf as your ticket idea. If TFC weren't groundbreaking, then people wouldn't copy them.Well said CB.....Although they have bundled some things, they did a great job when starting up this team. The head of the Seattle supporters groups were flown up to Toronto before their 1st season to learn from what TFC started & they copied a lot of what TFC had done to change things forever in the MLS.

It is widely viewed that the emergence of TFC & the fanbase that MLSE did a very good job cultivating early on have changed this league for the better & hopefully forever.

canadian_bhoy
01-31-2010, 11:17 AM
It has nothing to do with drinking the kool-aid. I've just decided to give up on all the negativity.

When TFC started, myself and other spent a lot of time trying to help get this thing off the ground. We met with the club, set up events, did podcasts etc. Personally, I did it because it was fun and it was exciting to be able to do something that this city had never seen.

Somewhere along the way, it turned half sour. It turned from excitement to negativity. Instead of giving ideas, a lot of people just provided criticism.

In many ways I felt like TFC owed me something.

That's all out the window now. We did the things we did because we wanted this to be a success, we wanted it to be fun. We didn't do it for a job or recognition or anything like that. It was about creating the best fan experience we could - and we did it!

Did we get screwed on the Madrid game? Yes. Are there things that irk the fans? Yes...but it's still an amazing sports experience and I'll take it for all it's worth.

I have seen several of your posts and replies and you always seem to have a great pov and very intelligent responses .. But u must have been sipped some mlse cool aid ..IMO they have done absolutely nothing groundbreaking . In fact i am 100% sure if you ran or made decisions for TFC the grounds and the whole exp would be very very different??
I have heard right from PB @ FO mouth that the "suporters " are only a small voice in a huge season ticket pool .. I have watched the inner working of TFC and realized for the most part they bumble threw everything they do .. Their model believe it or not is NOT groundbreaking in fact they run off the Leafs and raptors model for the most part .. I do feel this shitty sports corp has dropped the ball in many many ways ..They had a chance to really be groundbreaking and go "euro " in a sense ..Thats what the RB's are doing ..
Obviously FO has you thinking the right things they make u feel as tho u have a say .. You really need to rethink your definition of Groundbreaking..

I am very excited about the grass don't get me wrong but this team would be a 1000 times better if that Cancer MLSE corp didn't own them , and Paul has got all the supporters fooled badly , it only take a few witty posts and a few shitty scoops .. I do remember u in year one doing a pretty cool video tta gave people a good perspective of what goes on .. What happened supporters got pushed out of stuff like that / shocking / then shitty TFCtv came out //
I am right here / at least in my mind :):)

redtfcred
01-31-2010, 11:26 AM
It has nothing to do with drinking the kool-aid. I've just decided to give up on all the negativity.

When TFC started, myself and other spent a lot of time trying to help get this thing off the ground. We met with the club, set up events, did podcasts etc. Personally, I did it because it was fun and it was exciting to be able to do something that this city had never seen.

Somewhere along the way, it turned half sour. It turned from excitement to negativity. Instead of giving ideas, a lot of people just provided criticism.

In many ways I felt like TFC owed me something.

That's all out the window now. We did the things we did because we wanted this to be a success, we wanted it to be fun. We didn't do it for a job or recognition or anything like that. It was about creating the best fan experience we could - and we did it!

Did we get screwed on the Madrid game? Yes. Are there things that irk the fans? Yes...but it's still an amazing sports experience and I'll take it for all it's worth.

Your train of thought is very positive and healthy and I think that is a great frame of mind .. I also think that you basically had no choice .. Either just enjoy it for what it is or be miserable ..
Those cocksuckers at TFC would have it no other way .. Yes cocksuckers :)
The supporters have no say really / none / ofcourse its a business and I understand making profit / i just know if I ran this ship i would do things differently / i would foster things with all the groups etc .. TFC gouges everyone from concession prices to overpriced merc to pretending to care of MB's ..

I wil continue with my negativity , thats how I roll >>
I sincerly have respect for how u handle yourself and your perspective even after TFC has shit all over RPB in many ways ..
go leafs go to hell that is

AL-MO
01-31-2010, 04:05 PM
^ Stop now before you really embarrass yourself.

redtfcred
01-31-2010, 04:29 PM
^ Stop now before you really embarrass yourself.

sounds good genius

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Dont see how it would stop scalpers..........you would still have the option to rid your tickets through email if a SSH could not attend the game...

this is simply a SSH perk to get SSH through the gate quicker

Jack
01-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Your train of thought is very positive and healthy and I think that is a great frame of mind .. I also think that you basically had no choice .. Either just enjoy it for what it is or be miserable ..
Those cocksuckers at TFC would have it no other way .. Yes cocksuckers :)
The supporters have no say really / none / ofcourse its a business and I understand making profit / i just know if I ran this ship i would do things differently / i would foster things with all the groups etc .. TFC gouges everyone from concession prices to overpriced merc to pretending to care of MB's ..

I wil continue with my negativity , thats how I roll >>
I sincerly have respect for how u handle yourself and your perspective even after TFC has shit all over RPB in many ways ..
go leafs go to hell that is

Article 8: Multiple Accounts
Remember - Only ONE account per person. If Multiple accounts are detected with an IP search, please note that both your accounts will be Banned. Also, if a user has been banned, it is not permissible to make another account. Otherwise your IP Address will be banned and you won't be able to access the site altogether. Also please note that if you do have existing Multiple accounts, please let the Administrators or Moderators know ASAP. We will take the appropriate action and it will prevent your unneccessary banning. You have already been banned multiple times.

You are now banned again.

Bye Kenny.

AL-MO
01-31-2010, 04:49 PM
sounds good genius

HA..

twistedchinaman
01-31-2010, 05:05 PM
Smartcards are going to be the wave of the future; and it won't just be footy that will do it -- if this works, all other pro sports will go the same way. It's less clutter (and waste), and tasty fees for lost cards. Hoo baby!

Hell, if subways in Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul and London can do it...why not?

twistedchinaman
01-31-2010, 05:06 PM
You have already been banned multiple times.

You are now banned again.

Bye Kenny.

What the hell just happened?!