PDA

View Full Version : CBA Agreement? (Could it be)

prizby
01-28-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100128&content_id=7988620&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

TFC is reporting business as usual starting next week...

flatpicker
01-28-2010, 03:58 PM
I think it was understood that they were always going to proceed as if there was an agreement in place...
... until the day it all expires and there is no agreement...
... then of course they just shut things down.

But it would be kind of silly to say, "Let's not make any preparations for training camp... because the season might be delayed".

Phil
01-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Grumbles are suggesting its close.

It will be intresting to see this done and behind us.

Oldtimer
01-28-2010, 04:06 PM
The union told their players to report next week.
MLS meanwhile is not locking out the players yet.

It's merely a sign that talks are progressing reasonably well. Nobody will want to endanger the talks to do something rash.

Don't worry, you'll hear when there is a new CBA, it will be reported far and wide.

Batman
01-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I agree with Oldtimer... I don't think it shows a CBA is done, just that it's still active and that both sides will continue with business as usual until it's signed or until talks break down.

Detroit_TFC
01-28-2010, 04:45 PM
If the bargaining teams feel that progress is being made, they will extend the current contract as needed until negotiations are complete or they reach an impasse (hopefully that doesn't happen, bad things happen after that).

redtfcred
01-28-2010, 04:45 PM
I agree with Oldtimer... I don't think it shows a CBA is done, just that it's still active and that both sides will continue with business as usual until it's signed or until talks break down.

But the aggreement ends Jan 31 / hmmmm>>
if you report and there is no contract what does that mean ??

JonO
01-28-2010, 04:51 PM
It means talks are complete or

It's merely a sign that talks are progressing reasonably well. Nobody will want to endanger the talks to do something rash.

rocker
01-28-2010, 04:59 PM
when are players paid? If they didn't get a first paycheque until the end of february anyways, then it doesn't hurt to show up and train. if the negotiations break down Feb 7 or something they can just go home.

reggie
01-28-2010, 05:12 PM
any idea how much the cap will increase??

Phil
01-28-2010, 07:10 PM
But the aggreement ends Jan 31 / hmmmm>>
if you report and there is no contract what does that mean ??

If you report and there is no contract, you continue to operate with the rules of the past contract.

MUFC_Niagara
01-28-2010, 07:16 PM
The union told their players to report next week.
MLS meanwhile is not locking out the players yet.

Don't worry, you'll hear when there is a new CBA, it will be reported far and wide.

I agree Oldtimer. I think this is a good indication that a deal is close. It would be unreasonable to allow business to continue as usual if a deal were not on the horizon.

CanadaLFC
01-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Negotiations have a new deadline. February 12.

rocker
01-28-2010, 07:36 PM
geez, they`re like procrastinating students who leave everything to the last second before the project is due.. hahah. well at least both sides are still at the table and camps can move on.

TFCRegina
01-28-2010, 07:39 PM
They said that the CBA talks have been extended by two weeks from my understanding.

troy1982
01-28-2010, 07:43 PM
any idea how much the cap will increase??

the salary cap is not something that is negotiated in the CBA

Oldtimer
01-28-2010, 07:54 PM
the salary cap is not something that is negotiated in the CBA

It wasn't in the last one, but it could be in the new one.:)

TFCRegina
01-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Kartik Krishnaiyer formerly of MLS Talk reported that MLS had put the cap on the table as a negotiating chip, and I believe the chip was to double the cap, which was rejected...the players want control over which team they're with and it's a more important issue overall. If players control their own destiny, then they will be able to have more influence over salary issues in the future.

By controlling them so tightly, MLS helps control salary. The draft does the same thing, as does a luxury tax and salary cap. All of these are methods for the league to control the player. The original player control that was in place, before MLS' time, was a clause that allowed teams to continually option their players for an infinite period of time, and the players could do nothing about it. This was called the reserve clause, and the teams could dictate the salary to the player, and he was forced to accept.

The more control a player has over where he goes, the less power the league has in controlling his salary in the long run. That's why MLS is fighting this like crazy.

ArmenJBX
01-28-2010, 09:00 PM
What happens if the cap doubles? Do we double players wages? Or can we start signing better players?

TFCRegina
01-28-2010, 09:00 PM
What happens if the cap doubles? Do we double players wages? Or can we start signing better players?

You see a moderate increase in talent, perhaps, depends on if they open additional roster slots and a reserve league again...

Keegan
01-28-2010, 09:12 PM

If the cap doubles I hope they open up more roster spots and add a reserve league! MLS teams can't compete continentally because they don't have enough players even USL (rip) teams beat MLS teams regularly.

ag futbol
01-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Kartik Krishnaiyer formerly of MLS Talk reported that MLS had put the cap on the table as a negotiating chip, and I believe the chip was to double the cap, which was rejected...the players want control over which team they're with and it's a more important issue overall. If players control their own destiny, then they will be able to have more influence over salary issues in the future.

By controlling them so tightly, MLS helps control salary. The draft does the same thing, as does a luxury tax and salary cap. All of these are methods for the league to control the player. The original player control that was in place, before MLS' time, was a clause that allowed teams to continually option their players for an infinite period of time, and the players could do nothing about it. This was called the reserve clause, and the teams could dictate the salary to the player, and he was forced to accept.

The more control a player has over where he goes, the less power the league has in controlling his salary in the long run. That's why MLS is fighting this like crazy.
Great post, thx for the info.

Catch 22 for many of these guys is that double the cap probably means different players, not increased wages. But guaranteed contracts gives THEM more benefits as opposed to someone else.

I still see contract security being a problem going forward, but DOUBLE the cap would completely change the face of this league (more so than what the players are asking for).

You could have a lot more quality throughout the roster ... a ton (in MLS terms of course :) )

james
01-29-2010, 11:56 PM
sports in North America gotta stop having negotiations and stuff...pro sports are as bad as Ontario teachers, threatening to go on strike every 4 years!

A Stick
01-30-2010, 09:34 AM
sports in North America gotta stop having negotiations and stuff...pro sports are as bad as Ontario teachers, threatening to go on strike every 4 years!

James, this is a bullshit statement. Contract negotiations are between employers and employees take place all the time. Employers have the right to lock out their employees and employees have the right to strike if an agreement is not made.

Gazza_55
01-30-2010, 10:52 AM

Doubling the Cap would be the biggest thing for MLS since the Beckham signing.
Also I am not so sure having free agency in MLS with a cap of $2.5m is better for the players than no free agency in an MLS with a cap of $5m. I know what your saying that maybe in the future it would be but I can see some of the owners saying "well if the players want free agency so bad we will just keep the cap at 2.7m for the next 10 years and just have more D.P.'s.

Great post, thx for the info.

Catch 22 for many of these guys is that double the cap probably means different players, not increased wages. But guaranteed contracts gives THEM more benefits as opposed to someone else.

I still see contract security being a problem going forward, but DOUBLE the cap would completely change the face of this league (more so than what the players are asking for).

You could have a lot more quality throughout the roster ... a ton (in MLS terms of course :) )

I know it wouldn't be great for the current players. But it would be great for the fans.

Pookie
01-30-2010, 01:57 PM
[quote=ag futbol;868960

You could have a lot more quality throughout the roster ... a ton (in MLS terms of course :) )[/quote]

...yeah, it would be great.

A 4 team table based on those that could financially survive under a $5M cap.

We might even make the playoffs then ;)

Pookie
01-30-2010, 02:00 PM
"Major League Soccer and its players union have agreed to continue negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement, even though they won't strike a new deal by the time the current one expires Sunday.

While we still have areas of disagreement, the talks have been constructive and both parties believe it makes sense to continue to work hard to reach agreement," league commissioner Don Garber said in a statement.

The sides said they will negotiate through Feb. 12..."