PDA

View Full Version : Ball Hogs Bashing Thread

jabbronies
06-15-2008, 09:49 AM
So Ricketts played a great game last night. His footwork was spot on and his finishes were there. I just hope this doesn't go to his head.

I noticed after his two goals, he was more inclined to hold on to the ball and deek through 3-4 guys rather than pass it off to his wide open teammates. I also noticed other starting to do this - either becuase they wanted a piece of the glory - or because they were fed up and said 'if you won't give me the ball I'll just take up myself' - a la Robert.

Although I think they players played well, I'm just concerned that they are not playing as well as a team as they could. I see players electing to take on multiple defenders by themseleves rather than use thier teamates to achieve the same goal.

Thoughts???

Broadview
06-15-2008, 09:54 AM
I think Robert was pissed at Cunny blowing chances.

Ricketts has always seemed to try and deke out the team but I thought that after each goal Ricketts became more confident. His second goal he weaseled away from two defenders and scored a spectacular goal, so you gotta take the good with the bad I suppose.

ag futbol
06-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Honestly I like the individual play.

We get too caught up in the idea that taking a player on is selfish. It's part of the game, it should be encouraged more often. As long as Ricketts is aware of his options I really don't have a problem with him holding the ball.

As long as it's creating trouble for defenders a good percentage of the time I like it. Too much obsession is placed on the one time the defender stuffs the guy, but it's no different than an errant pass into space (which doesn't get bashed enough IMO).

Sorry if i went on a bit of a rant there, but I find this is a huge issue in youth soccer. A bunch of parents have too much of a hard on for their own kids (and a complete lack of understanding for the game) to let a talented player show his skills.

ExiledRed
06-15-2008, 11:48 AM
I noticed after his two goals, he was more inclined to hold on to the ball and deek through 3-4 guys rather than pass it off to his wide open teammates.

Thoughts???

If by 'wide open teammates' you mean Cunny, then you should be happy RR has found a clue and has stopped trying to set the useless twat up.

If Robert would just learn that Cunny doesnt know what to do with a cross, then he might even take a chance himself once in a while.

Cunny only knows how to score one on one after every defenders been beaten, and he only gets 1 in 5 in that situation anyway, never mind getting on the end of a cross and tapping it in.

werewolf
06-15-2008, 11:58 AM
speaking of ball hog moments....harmse...fast break with teammates WIDE open, and he decides to keep the ball, turn around, and lose possession.

Ron Manager
06-15-2008, 12:13 PM
RR and Robert got sick of laying countless beautiful passes to Cunny only to have him stand there and look at them like, "I had no idea you were going to do that."
Unfortunately, Cunny is being outclassed by his own midfield. He cannot read the play and anticipate the through balls that his crafty mids are giving him on a regular basis. Give us a good DP striker with good footy smarts and our goals for will rise substantially.
I have no problem whatsoever with RR and Robert making their own runs, they always have a chance to make something happen and 9/10 passes to Cunny are a waste no matter how perfectly placed they are.
I did hope Cunny would score yesterday so he could get 100 before we trade him, but he just doesn't have the brains to keep up with our other players.
As for Harmse, I think being that far upfield gave him a nose bleed. He played a decent enough game yesterday, he just has no attacking skill at all.

stugautz
06-15-2008, 12:17 PM
I think he was referring to Dichio being wide open on Rickets first goal, having his hand up and Ricketts still shooting. It turned out fine, but it Ricketts were to look around more often and see that he has teammates, there would be a better result more often.

camcamy
06-15-2008, 12:19 PM
speaking of ball hog moments....harmse...fast break with teammates WIDE open, and he decides to keep the ball, turn around, and lose possession.

its more lack of vision then anything, thats what u get for 70k

werewolf
06-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I noticed that when I was watching the replay, Danny was ready to throw his hands up in the air like 'WTF?' and then Rohan scored so he ended up being happy. He was WIDE open. Part of our problem last year though, was no one wanted to shoot, in our goalless streaks, players in Ricketts' position would pass it off, only the ball would deflect off a defender and be cleared.

denime
06-15-2008, 12:33 PM
They tried so hard yesterday to feed Cunny for his 100 goal,but Cunny "the c*nt" couldn't score if his life was depending on it.
RR did great job,and as far I'm concern as long Carver doesn't bitch about this he can hold the ball till Christmas if he wants.

Ron Manager
06-15-2008, 12:44 PM
The longer guys like RR, Robert and Guevara hold the ball, the more they attract defenders like moths to a flame, this inevitably leaves other players open.
As for the Dichio thing, yes he was open but that would have had to be a pretty finley threaded pass to angle that ball past the def without getting too close to the keeper.

bdrs
06-15-2008, 02:25 PM
My friend as long as he puts it in the net be happy he holds on to it. Til someone sends Cunny a map to help him find the goal he is too risky. After the first goal Ricketts sure did decide to hold the ball a bit more himself and then scored a second. I'll take it.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-15-2008, 02:27 PM

yeah that was a bit ridiculous, i think he found he was out of his league, shoulda kept running but i cant blame him entirely as hes a DM and im sure hes had very little focus on attacking/offensive football.

nimamalek
06-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Dichio was open for the first goal but Ricketts had an open shot, so why would he risk another pass when he can shoot. And after the second goal i think he decided to go for the hat trick, not everyday a midfielder gets a chance to complete the hat trick, i dont think we'll see any ball hogging from him

Troll
06-16-2008, 09:08 AM
I think we could've scored 12 goals and some of you guys would still have something to complain about.

Northern Soul
06-16-2008, 09:15 AM
RR and Robert got sick of laying countless beautiful passes to Cunny only to have him stand there and look at them like, "I had no idea you were going to do that."
Unfortunately, Cunny is being outclassed by his own midfield. He cannot read the play and anticipate the through balls that his crafty mids are giving him on a regular basis. Give us a good DP striker with good footy smarts and our goals for will rise substantially.
I have no problem whatsoever with RR and Robert making their own runs, they always have a chance to make something happen and 9/10 passes to Cunny are a waste no matter how perfectly placed they are.
I did hope Cunny would score yesterday so he could get 100 before we trade him, but he just doesn't have the brains to keep up with our other players.
As for Harmse, I think being that far upfield gave him a nose bleed. He played a decent enough game yesterday, he just has no attacking skill at all.

QFT.

Daveisonfire
06-16-2008, 09:18 AM
During the interview the fan, Ricketts even said his first inclination was to pass it off because that's always the first thing that comes to his mind, but he just decided to have a go.

MG42
06-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Unfortunately, Cunny is being outclassed by his own midfield.

True words Ron Manager...this is the best breakdown of Cunny I have read.

Carts
06-16-2008, 09:55 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I rarely mind when a player has a go at goal...

Yes, sometimes there's someone "so open" that the pass is better - but often what can appear "open" on TV and from the seats - it isn't the case. The ball has to find a path to the player, and often the path is protected, meaning an absolutely perfect pass is needed...

Have a go at goal is what I say... Beauty strikes are rare, but rebounds off keepers and posts can lead to second chances...

Dichio's goal on Saturday... He didn't think about keeping possesion and trapping the ball - just have a go... And it worked...

Carts...

NF-FC
06-16-2008, 10:02 AM
^ i agree carts, in a sport where getting a half dozen shots on goal is decent and save % is brutal, you gotta take what you can. no sense wasting an open shot

trane
06-16-2008, 10:03 AM
I did not see Dichio open on the second goal, I did see Cunny open on another occasion, but he had enough crossess and passes fed to him, for him only to fuck up, that I understand why Ricketts would not go there. On the second goal I will say, that the defenderes were pretty tight on RR, so he may not have seen Dichio, or the pass would have been to tight.

ilikemusic
06-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Cunny looks more and more useless every game. Some very astute observations in this thread.

trane
06-16-2008, 10:04 AM
I would like more players takin shots particullarly Robert, as he has a cannon for a left foot. The midfiled holding the ball and shooting only opens up the strikers.

James Oliphant
06-16-2008, 10:06 AM
I think he was referring to Dichio being wide open on Rickets first goal, having his hand up and Ricketts still shooting. It turned out fine, but it Ricketts were to look around more often and see that he has teammates, there would be a better result more often.

...which is what happened the 9 times previous to that goal. Dichio being wide open meant that Ricketts' shot for the far corner (and low) was bound to deflect off Burpo at worst...right to Danny. So it's a goal either way.

We win 3-1 with 5 regular starters out and one of our strikers playing like absolute shit and suddenly our wingers are ball hogs...

*sigh*

Oldtimer
06-16-2008, 10:21 AM
I think that Cunningham was trying too hard to get #100. Once he (and the team) get that monkey off his back, things will improve. I hope he gets #100 next match against an underperforming Wiz so that we can all be done with it.

Fort York Redcoat
06-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Cunny can get 100 at another team for all I care. RR was holding the ball but to the point where 3 players were on him and he's STILL got his head down. Thanks for the goals but next time the opposition may not be so confused.

Pachuco
06-16-2008, 10:33 AM
I personally completely disagree with the reason why this thread was opened. We played a heck of a game, and in ANY sport, when one team is whooping the other everyone wants in on the action. There's nothing wrong with being a little selfish when your winning 3-0 and completely dominating the game. By the way, go back and see the incredible ball Ricketts put on Cunny's head after scoring his first goal to see if he was really being selfish ;) Cunny's 100th goal was put on a platter for him.

noochie
06-16-2008, 10:55 AM
I personally completely disagree with the reason why this thread was opened. We played a heck of a game, and in ANY sport, when one team is whooping the other everyone wants in on the action. There's nothing wrong with being a little selfish when your winning 3-0 and completely dominating the game. By the way, go back and see the incredible ball Ricketts put on Cunny's head after scoring his first goal to see if he was really being selfish ;) Cunny's 100th goal was put on a platter for him.

I agree with you on the thread opening. Unfortunately this is what those instant replays create. It is easy to be a critic watching replay after replay but at game speed it is impossible to pick out "wide open" players as easily as it is spoken here.

J .
06-16-2008, 11:07 AM
I'd rather people hold the ball than get it to Cunningham.

jabbronies
06-16-2008, 11:10 AM
I agree with you on the thread opening. Unfortunately this is what those instant replays create. It is easy to be a critic watching replay after replay but at game speed it is impossible to pick out "wide open" players as easily as it is spoken here.

Replay?? Who the fuck is watching the replay...if you were at the stadium watching the game, you can clearnly see that he had several options to pass. Actually in general, if you are watching the game, you'll see this guy chooses to take on the team rather than pass teammate.

Guys on here have stated it could be the lack of confidence the team has in certain players, or it could just be how he plays.

Either way, the point of the thread is to get other people, who watch the game, to chime in on this topic.

The TFC cocksucking thread where TFC cant do no wrong is elsewhere.

thanks,

noochie
06-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Replay?? Who the fuck is watching the replay...if you were at the stadium watching the game, you can clearnly see that he had several options to pass. Actually in general, if you are watching the game, you'll see this guy chooses to take on the team rather than pass teammate.

Guys on here have stated it could be the lack of confidence the team has in certain players, or it could just be how he plays.

Either way, the point of the thread is to get other people, who watch the game, to chime in on this topic.

The TFC cocksucking thread where TFC cant do no wrong is elsewhere.

thanks,

Couldn't find the cocksucking thread so I came back to this one. I understand the point you are making however I hardly think it is cut and dry. I like the fact that sometimes a player just wants to have a go at it and he does that. I don't think that making that decision and either a) losing the ball al together OR b) taking a shot and missing completely with a wide open player in the box suddenly makes him a ball hog.

He clearly also tries to distribute on many occasions and is sometimes successful sometimes not.

Side note, I realize the thread opening comment was a bit harsh, I simply was agreeing to disagree that RR is a "ball hog". Likewise on the cocksucking comment, I am responding to one thread in disagreement, not spreading joy and cheer around the entire forum so ease up a bit. I have been a critic where I felt it was necessary also.

Lucky Strike
06-16-2008, 11:59 AM
A little while ago, I started a thread discussing this sort of thing. Basically, the argument went that although Cunningham looks useless for 90% of the time, he did have a goal every 1.6 games this season, which is pretty good.

After Saturday's match, that's down to a goal per 1.9 games which still isn't shabby but I worry about Cunningham and the preoccupation of him getting #100. It might result in decisions that aren't ultimately the best for the team. You can understand him trying to get it and his teammates trying to get a pass to him, that's only human nature but like I said, it could result in poor decisions (or sub-optimal ones).

I just hope he gets his #100 as soon as possible so we can get rid of this worry and it'll look better when the time to trade him has come (the prestige of a 100-goal scorer - hopefully other teams won't notice the prestige of being 1000-goal misser).

trane
06-16-2008, 12:06 PM
I just noticed that Dichio has 10 shots on goal for five goals, plus two assists, while Cunny has 17 for 3 , not assissts, not terrible but it is likely helped that most of his missess do not end "on goal", or like he did on Saturday he simply squaners the opporunity by taking to much time. I am not anti-Cunnigham but he does seem to be out of sorts this year, and has certainly not made the most of his opportunities. It is like the team is playing at a mid table Championship caliber, while he is stook in Mid table MLS mode.

Alarius
06-16-2008, 12:28 PM
I'd rather people hold the ball than get it to Cunningham.

I have to agree...
It's frustrating watching him play.. he puts out about 40% of effort on the pitch. He either seems lazy or frustrated. He can't time his runs properly. He puts a bit of an effort to win the ball, but after losing out, he just stays back. Maybe I'm just spoilt by the Euros.:noidea:

ExiledRed
06-16-2008, 12:54 PM
^^ Cunny isnt working out, he's had his chance (In fact he's had chances in the double figures)

How long before we stop 'giving him the chance to prove he can capitalise on his chances'

It's nonsense now, Edson Buddle would have scored MUCH more than he has, and we never gave that guy a chance at all.

ilikemusic
06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
^^ Cunny isnt working out, he's had his chance (In fact he's had chances in the double figures)

How long before we stop 'giving him the chance to prove he can capitalise on his chances'

It's nonsense now, Edson Buddle would have scored MUCH more than he has, and we never gave that guy a chance at all.

Bang on.

SarahV
06-16-2008, 07:44 PM
If someone wants to press the net and make something happen, more power to him. I'd much rather our guys get aggressive and take some shots than play a namby game of back-and-forth in the name of "team work".

Roogsy
06-16-2008, 07:46 PM
^QFT

One of the biggest problems this team has had is lack of aggressiveness in the final third. I am glad we are seeing some shots on net. The ironic part of this is that it's our midfield that is outshining our forwards.

Blizzard
06-16-2008, 08:27 PM
They tried so hard yesterday to feed Cunny for his 100 goal,but Cunny "the c*nt" couldn't score if his life was depending on it.
RR did great job,and as far I'm concern as long Carver doesn't bitch about this he can hold the ball till Christmas if he wants.

That and the dive is why Carver at Lombardo ready to go on during stoppage time. He was apparently extremely pissed off at Cunningham.