PDA

View Full Version : Brennan signed for 2010 - According to KJ

TFC_Junky
01-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Brennan has signed on for 2010 it just wasn't announced. Also, Serioux hasn't been offered a deal yet... Posted on twitter

shawn6597
01-27-2010, 05:16 PM
NO!!! please dont overstay your welcome jimmy!
i hope its solely so that he can be a bench player

TFC07
01-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Who's KJ?

Suds
01-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Who's KJ?

Kristian Jack - writer and guy who's often on The Footy Show

TFC07
01-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Kristian Jack - writer and guy who's often on The Footy Show

Thanks.

Marco2K
01-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Breenan should take the job of camera man

Technorgasm
01-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Twitter = balls

TFCRegina
01-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Brennan should be coaching the young uns... or doing some sub work. Not a starter any more, sadly.

Gobi
01-27-2010, 05:56 PM
I was hoping for the opposite.

spark
01-27-2010, 08:26 PM
I have no probs if Brennan stays, as long as he's not playing left back. If they find a way to sub him in on the left wing he could still be useful.

Torcida
01-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Geez, you are a negative bunch. What happened to dreaming of a team of Jimmy B's?!

MUFC_Niagara
01-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Geez, you are a negative bunch. What happened to dreaming of a team of Jimmy B's?!

Haven't you heard? Toronto is a "what have you dome for me lately?" town. :rolleyes:

v00d00daddy
01-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Is this a new contract for Brennan?

Any word on how much and how long?

Nodoubtguy
01-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I like Jimmy B and what he's meant for TFC, but I think we can and must get better players if we want to be competitive.

Roogsy
01-27-2010, 09:47 PM
I like Jimmy B and what he's meant for TFC, but I think we can and must get better players if we want to be competitive.

I think Sal puts it well.

I am not on the "dump him" crowd. But frankly, we all have to be honest with ourselves and question whether Jimmy is a starter anymore. I'd like to see him come off the bench, I think he can give us some energy.

ACSertL
01-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Where does it say anywhere that he's going to start?

Macksam
01-27-2010, 09:51 PM
He'll have a Ballack-like semi-resurgance this year...hopefully.

Roogsy
01-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Where does it say anywhere that he's going to start?

Who among us has said that? I am saying if they do sign him (which seems to be the case) I hope it's for the purpose of providing depth off the bench.

ACSertL
01-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Who among us has said that? I am saying if they do sign him (which seems to be the case) I hope it's for the purpose of providing depth off the bench.

There are comments, not necessarily by you, from those that are hoping that he will be a bench player or upset that he's re-signed. All I am saying is that we don't know a) what the plans are for him and b) how much he's signed for.

I'm going to reserve my judgment for after the season starts :)

Hitcho
01-27-2010, 10:10 PM
I think he's taken a bad rap from having to play out of position for too long. We loved him for it in season one, christ he was a terrible CB but oh how we praised him. SInce then he's been a converted left back and it showed, especially at times last season. But when he played left mid last season I thought he did really well. Good runs, good crosses, dangerous shot, good eye for a pass. If he is allowed to settle back into that position then he could be gold, or at least very solid for us, this season.

Labelling him a bench player is unfair and harsh. And are we really going to sign a couple of international CB's two wingers (at least) and a top notch striker as well as a left back? Come on guys, the bottom line is we will likely need Jimmy next season - he's got fantastic experience at left mid and adds some utility and experience to the squad. Not to mention stability which we are absolutely desperate for, like it or not.

I for one am glad about this news and hope to see him ripping up the left mid position all season long.

EDIT - and he's Canadian, and he will be driven this season - play offs or bust in the most serious terms possible.

JuliquE
01-27-2010, 10:11 PM
It's been said, many of times, that he's likely to see a reduced role in the team (i.e. sub; pay-cut).

Glad to hear that our first ever signing has the chance to play in our first ever playoff berth. He's got some "unfinished business," as he would say, and I'm quite eager to see, if nothing else, how such a drive will motivate his peers.

Tschuess.

Roogsy
01-27-2010, 10:13 PM
I wouldn't mind an experiment having him on the left wing and see how he does. It won't require substantial defensive duties and he still has some wheels.

Sure, why not? We don't have "wingers" right now anyways and I am not sure we're going to head into the start of the season with any either.

ACSertL
01-27-2010, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't mind an experiment having him on the left wing and see how he does. It won't require substantial defensive duties and he still has some wheels.

Sure, why not? We don't have "wingers" right now anyways and I am not sure we're going to head into the start of the season with any either.

Left Midfield is where he is most comfortable playing. He was fairly useful there when he played at Forest. Granted that was a few years ago.

Now where to find a left back? :lol:

Hitcho
01-27-2010, 10:20 PM
i think left mid is where he'll play. if we sign one of the two international CBs we are trialling then serioux or nana can play left back and add more stability to the back line. if serioux's out this is a problem. trade some draft picks for bornstein?! :D

ag futbol
01-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Depth is needed in MLS. Brennan definitely has a role to play in that regard. But as a starter (at LB or otherwise) that’s a completely different story, seems unrealistic.

He lost some qualities he had earlier in his career (pace)and others we need from a winger he’s simply never had.

Damien
01-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Brennans a decrepit geezer in a physically demanding league.

Cut him or make him ambassador to the team or something like that.

MUFC_Niagara
01-27-2010, 11:32 PM
I think Sal puts it well.

I am not on the "dump him" crowd. But frankly, we all have to be honest with ourselves and question whether Jimmy is a starter anymore. I'd like to see him come off the bench, I think he can give us some energy.

I agree....and maybe by coming off the bench and playing 30 mins instad of 90 he'll actually play better.

Keyman
01-28-2010, 12:00 AM
I like this signing.

Pachuco
01-28-2010, 12:17 AM
I don't mind him signing, but I agree he can't play defense no more. Let's try him out in left mid as a substitute player. you never know, he may end up playing better then whoever we sign for that position. At this point, he's probably the only true lefty who can play there on this team

ensco
01-28-2010, 01:25 AM
I would absolutely keep him. Not because I "love" him..

1) He's lost a step, but he's not bad positionally. He can do a job. He's got some versatility.

2) We've got to get the personnel turnover rate down. We need to keep some of the people who are on the bubble. Otherwise, we're an expansion team again.

3) Face it, we have to design our formation around JDG. Jimmy has played with JDG on the CMNT many times over 8 years. In a transient league, this is useful. These relationships are important.

Super
01-28-2010, 01:53 AM
Good news. He's not expensive, and he brings a lot of experience and heart (TFC-heart, no less) to the table. He's winding down and this is going to be his last contract. I'm happy with this. I hope we'll give him a proper send-off at the end of the season as well.

Broadview
01-28-2010, 05:16 AM
I like it. He's a lefty, versatile, Canadian and a fighter out there.

Nice signing.

TFC Tifoso
01-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Great to hear....I personally think more people should get behind OUR CAPTAIN!

Nuvinho
01-28-2010, 09:10 AM
I have always thought that Brennan was a bad LB, but I will not talk about his commitment, heart, and character he brings every game. His salary was $185K last year, assuming he signs for that amount this year, is he worth it?

scooter
01-28-2010, 09:44 AM
great news---yes everyone forgets so quickly jimmy b is our captain
he was our first signing and went around with mo drumming up support
he was rpb's first poy
he eats and breathes tfc--gives all he has game in game out
he is canadian
he has potted some nice goals especially from the left
yes he is getting older but still can play ffs
i agree he is much better in the midfield

you guys are so fickle

oh and the red bulls are still shite

Roogsy
01-28-2010, 10:09 AM
I would absolutely keep him. Not because I "love" him..

1) He's lost a step, but he's not bad positionally. He can do a job. He's got some versatility.

2) We've got to get the personnel turnover rate down. We need to keep some of the people who are on the bubble. Otherwise, we're an expansion team again.

3) Face it, we have to design our formation around JDG. Jimmy has played with JDG on the CMNT many times over 8 years. In a transient league, this is useful. These relationships are important.

These are all very good points.

Roogsy
01-28-2010, 10:10 AM
I have always thought that Brennan was a bad LB, but I will not talk about his commitment, heart, and character he brings every game. His salary was $185K last year, assuming he signs for that amount this year, is he worth it?

My guess is that it will be lower. I doubt it will be the same and even less likely that it will be more.

TFC_Junky
01-28-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't really like the idea of him at LB but if we were to try him out as a left defensive mid who can push forward to help with the attack, I guess I don't mind it.

Mods, thanks for fixing the post title, guess KJ isn't too well known as an acronym...

rocker
01-28-2010, 10:29 AM
I think Brennan's brain is better than his physical skill at this point. But he's had the misfortune of never having regular teammates on defense, and some of those teammates have included many kids learning on the job and weak defenders. Now, I thought the same thing of Marshall but in Seattle he's fine. No need to discard Brennan if Preki can do something with the other defenders alongside Brennan.

Parkdale
01-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Brennans a decrepit geezer in a physically demanding league.

Cut him or make him ambassador to the team or something like that.

a) he's hardly a geezer. He played though injuries like a machine. Dude's is far from 'over the hill;.

b) we already have ONE ambassador, and don't need another. Let's not make a habit of giving all retired players the title.

I like that Jimmy is back on the team. As long as he's not guaranteed a starting spot (which I think would be the case with Preki) then there's really nothing to lose. As long as Jim understands that this is a new team, and the staff don't play favorites, then we're doing fine.

And unless someone can find another canadian (yes, that still counts in this league) who could replace him on the field, and as the captain for the same amount of money....

Pachuco
01-28-2010, 11:00 AM

I think it's all relative. Does the CBA cap go up? if it doesn't then I think the price is a little high. But I still wouldn't freak out over him making 185k.

Roogsy
01-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Ouch...gotta disagree. In MLS, that is quite the high figure. It's another reason we have underperformed, we have a lot of guys who don't produce who eat up large chunks of the cap.

king dave
01-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Count me out of the JB lovefest kids!
KD.

scooter
01-28-2010, 11:10 AM
yes but 3 are now gone

should be 3 new signings soon---- hopefully defenders x 2

its a tough call too cause white now fitter could come out of the blocks smoking as long as he gets service and thats something i would look to jimmy,dwayne and deguzman to supply with cronin and robo moving it around to give the severs time to get into space

Mark in Ottawa
01-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Good signing. The team needs depth with proven players who can compete at the MLS level.

ManUtd4ever
01-28-2010, 11:33 AM
I agree that Brennan still has a place on this team albeit with a potentially reduced role next season....

Nuvinho
01-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Did anyone know before this was announced that both Serioux and Brennan were out of contract? I am thinking that maybe Garcia is out of contract as well (fingers crossed), and just that no one is putting that information out there.

scooter
01-28-2010, 11:47 AM
garcia should be gone -- now we can start talking about underperformers -- again a great guy but doesnt seem to have it in him

shaggingscot
01-28-2010, 12:05 PM
He's the only natural left sided player, why is that a bad thing?

Use him as a sub and when he's on the pitch stick him out on the left wing, where he should have played from day one!

Hitcho
01-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Jimmy B is definitely good enough to be a starting left mid. VDB was a perfectly good left mid the last few years and he's in the same age bracket as Jimmy. Beckham has never had pace. It;s not that necessary fif you;re nto playing as an orthodox winger, but just on the left side of midfield.

he can pass, cross, tackle and shoot very well, as a LM he gets into good positions and last seaosn laid off some sweet passes to the forwards from that position. he's got nous, experience, leadership, determination by the bucket load and he's naturally left sided. Plus he's canadian. There's no way we'll get anyone else on this team who fills all those qualities.

Captain my captain!

TFC Tifoso
01-28-2010, 02:04 PM
I think many have forgotten that Jimmy is still captain, so until he gives it up or is stripped of it (neither is warranted imo), he will probably see the same amount of time as last year....and I have no problem with that.

MartinUtd
01-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Considering he has been musing about retirement and/or the desire to play a reduced role on the team, I can't see him making the same $185k.

ag futbol
01-28-2010, 05:47 PM
b) we already have ONE ambassador, and don't need another. Let's not make a habit of giving all retired players the title.

Thank you. We're not running a charity here, passing out these positions left and right is unhealthy.

Some guys are going to inevitably get involved at the management level but lets leave it for the ones that are really extraordinary in what they've done for the club or have great minds for the game. Brennan could easily fit into the second category (but we have no way of knowing).

Let's keep the nepotism to a reasonable level. There's no shortage of clubs out there being ruined by an insular culture of continuous self promotion without checks and balances.

Brooker
01-28-2010, 06:07 PM

what happend to a team of Jimmy B's you ask? well that team isn't as good as it once could be, thats what.