PDA

View Full Version : Philly have sold 9100 season tickets and expect to sell out its stadium

Dust2
01-25-2010, 07:10 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/82574842.html

Union president Tom Veit is certain the team will sell out its new 18,500-seat stadium in Chester, basing his analysis on current sales, trends in ticket purchases, and the depth of the regional soccer market.

"I'm very confident we'll sell out, and could sell more if we had them," Veit said in an interview last week.

The team sells additional season tickets every day, the total now nearing 9,100, he said. The Union plan to cap those sales at 12,000.

That would leave 6,500 seats.

About 1,500 would be held for purchase by league officials, players, and sponsors. An additional 500 would go to fans of visiting teams. Maybe 1,000 more would be sold in partial-season packages, a move the club is still considering.

That would leave about 3,500 seats, a fraction of the demand expected from businesses, youth groups, soccer clubs, and fans who can't afford to attend every game.

"There's not a lot of magic to what we did," said Paul Beirne, Toronto's senior director of business operations. "We tried to fish where the fish were, and I believe the Union is doing the same thing."

Toronto executives aimed at the soccer community, reaching into Irish pubs and Italian cafés to connect with fans. They pursued grassroots marketing on Internet sites, a campaign that's become standard operation.

Beirne said that in January 2007, as Toronto prepared for its first season, it had sold about 9,000 season tickets. The Union, in the January of its first year, have sold the same. http://media.philly.com/images/psuccess1.jpg

http://media.philly.com/images/psuccess3.jpg

Best of all, Philly will have 2000 seats Supporters Section that is reserved solely for registered members of supporter groups like Sons of Ben. Can't wait to see and hear what the atmosphere will be like.

Oldtimer
01-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Philly has the tremendous advantage of having their supporters groups already in place.

Toronto had a few hundred supporters at this point in time, we were at maybe 300 by opening day affiliated with U-Sector and RPB.

Fort York Redcoat
01-25-2010, 10:19 AM
It's come to be expected which is amazing. The league will look a lot better with Philly and the new NYRB stadium. Lets hope DC and NE will feel more pressure to reward their supporters with better stadia.

Roogsy
01-25-2010, 10:41 AM
All the more reason to get the CBA done!!!

dupont
01-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Nice. I want this league to get strong for the future.

flatpicker
01-25-2010, 12:02 PM
^ ^^
Agreed, and agreed.

The league is starting to hit it's stride right now.
Gotta keep the momentum going.
Seattle, and now Philly, are doing wonders for that.
Any kind of work stoppage at this point would horrific.

Wagner
01-25-2010, 12:08 PM
great news for the league...
adds a new layer to east coast rivalries...

flatpicker
01-25-2010, 12:10 PM
I hope Vancouver is watching all this very closely.

Hitcho
01-25-2010, 12:26 PM
^ agreed. it would be great to see Vancouver and then Montreal build equally successful templates and have three strongly supported Canadian teams in the league. Seattle and Philly are good moulds to follow (as are we of course!).

I'd love to see MLS grow into a really strong league with apcked attendances at virtually every ground over the next ten to fifteen years. If they can achieve that, then the future could just get bigger and bigger for th sport in north america. but the trick is not to try and run before they can walk. it's still tortoise time for now, the hare can come later.

Beach_Red
01-25-2010, 12:37 PM
^ But not too much later, there's momentum now and the league should ride it.

Five to ten years, not ten to fiftenn.

Suds
01-25-2010, 12:43 PM
It's come to be expected which is amazing. The league will look a lot better with Philly and the new NYRB stadium. Lets hope DC and NE will feel more pressure to reward their supporters with better stadia.

Yes. And let's not forget KC has had their plans for a new stadium approved as well. All very good news for the league.

Dirk Diggler
01-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Wow ... that is a great view from the main stand.

Sab0tage
01-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Am I the only one concerned that they won't have the stadium complete by the time the season starts? I'm sure they have a backup venue to play if this occurs, does anyone know if that is the case?

rocker
01-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Am I the only one concerned that they won't have the stadium complete by the time the season starts? I'm sure they have a backup venue to play if this occurs, does anyone know if that is the case?

it won't be completed.. the team is going to play at Lincoln field (NFL) for a certain number of home games.. I read they were hoping the stadium would be open by the fourth of July holiday.

Dirk Diggler
01-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Any word on how many are expected to fill the stands for the games in the Linc? It would be awesome if they somehow manage to sell those games out.

boban
01-25-2010, 03:07 PM
It's been mentioned on here they will play part of the beginning of this season at Lincoln Field.

Dust2
01-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Section 137 of the Supporters Section for Philly have been sold out, taking over by mostly Sons of Ben members. It is expected that the 2000 seats Supporters Section will be occupied by at least 1500 supporters.

flatpicker
01-28-2010, 07:36 PM
^ if those number are correct, then that place should be rockin'

Keegan
01-29-2010, 12:13 AM
^ if those number are correct, then that place should be rockin'

Obviously... they're american pretty much anywhere they walk rocks... literally... too many philly cheese steaks :canada:

nascarguy
01-29-2010, 01:41 AM
can not wait for a road trip there

Dust2
01-29-2010, 04:42 AM
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkEbgkw_9vuxdENvMUxLc3hTUHdDdng5eVUwQWM3O FE&hl=en

Spreadsheet of Supporters Section seats taken up by those that post on bigsoccer or from info from ticket representative.

136, 137, 138 (about 950 seats) are filling up nicely from the link above and the seat selection just began about a week ago.

Dust2
02-02-2010, 07:10 AM
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkEbgkw_9vuxdENvMUxLc3hTUHdDdng5eVUwQWM3O FE&hl=en

They should be sold out within the next 2-3 days.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-02-2010, 08:03 AM
TFC...should make some kind of an agreement with philly on away section...for when the two teams meet up...

Hopefully would allocate TFC supporters approx 400 seats...and in return we could accomadate them the same!

Im sure we could get 400 to philly and im sure they could do the same ....for the home opener here in at BMO!!

ensco
02-02-2010, 08:28 AM
9,100 is terrific by MLS standards, but well below where Seattle and Toronto were at this point.

I wonder if they've stalled. For instance, why would you cap SSH sales at 65% of capacity? No team in sports caps it that low.

Not trying to be a wet blanket but.....I'm going to take statements by any team about how ticket sales are going with a grain of salt. They have a job to do, which is to project a perception of scarcity. In any circumstance.

pekduck
02-02-2010, 08:29 AM
TFC...should make some kind of an agreement with philly on away section...for when the two teams meet up...

Hopefully would allocate TFC supporters approx 400 seats...and in return we could accomadate them the same!

Im sure we could get 400 to philly and im sure they could do the same ....for the home opener here in at BMO!!

Nope, they changed home opener to Thursday night, it would have been like that if it was still on Saturday.

koryo
02-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Well done Philly. Hopefully they become another strong market in the league.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Nope, they changed home opener to Thursday night, it would have been like that if it was still on Saturday.

true....forgot about the change...!:drinking:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Well done Philly. Hopefully they become another strong market in the league.

exaclty........Toronto Seattle .............Portland.. VAn....up next.... MOntreal?....Mls is moving in the right direction... its good to see!

I'd like to call it the Toronto Disease ;)

this could be a very creditable league in the next 5 years...:drinking:

SoccMan
02-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Don't worry about Philly "ensco" they are the real deal, they will be up there with the TFC's and Seattle's of this world when it comes to attendance numbers. The MLS will be no different than many leagues where there will be teams that have great attendances and ones that will always struggle, it's just the way it is, accept it and move on you will sleep better at night if you do!

Dust2
02-02-2010, 10:12 PM
9,100 is terrific by MLS standards, but well below where Seattle and Toronto were at this point.

I wonder if they've stalled. For instance, why would you cap SSH sales at 65% of capacity? No team in sports caps it that low.

Not trying to be a wet blanket but.....I'm going to take statements by any team about how ticket sales are going with a grain of salt. They have a job to do, which is to project a perception of scarcity. In any circumstance.

I guess you didn't read the FIRST POST

Beirne said that in January 2007, as Toronto prepared for its first season, it had sold about 9,000 season tickets. The Union, in the January of its first year, have sold the same.

Blizzard
02-02-2010, 11:01 PM
I guess you didn't read the FIRST POST

Beirne said that in January 2007, as Toronto prepared for its first season, it had sold about 9,000 season tickets. The Union, in the January of its first year, have sold the same.

Absolutely .... and furthermore, the comment about the season ticket cap of 65% is a bit off base too considering that Paul capped our season ticket base in year one at 70%.

torfchamilton
02-03-2010, 12:08 PM
I don't remember fully, but TFC starting selling tickets in Oct of 2006, for the 2007 season? I seem to think Philly started a while back if not mistaken. I may be mistaken though, lol.

torfchamilton
02-03-2010, 12:09 PM
May 11, 2009 is when PU started selling tickets

rocker
02-03-2010, 12:13 PM
as mentioned, TFC was on the same level at PU at the same time period.

What pushed TFC to its massive level was the Beckham announcement. I distinctly remember it spurring on people to take notice of TFC and MLS and push TFC's ST base to new heights.

Everyone thinks TFC just "naturally" got to that massive level of ST's but lovely Becks really helped push it along... not necessarily because people bought a whole season's tickets just for the chance of seeing Becks, but because they realize Toronto had a soccer team.

Dust2
02-05-2010, 02:58 AM
http://philadelphiaunion.com/uploads/Seating_chart.jpg

104 105 109 110 125 129 136 137 and 138 In addition to the 6 Club Sections in the midfield are all SOLD OUT.

Looking good that they will sell out the 12,000 season tickets and the other 6,500 seats (for half-season tickets, packages, single sales).

Half their Supporters Section (136,137,138) are sold out

The virtual stadium viewer - http://philadelphiaunion.io-media.com/ - now reflects sections that are SOLD OUT. Check it out, AMAZING 3D picture of the stadium from each sections.

p.s. They will play 13 out of 15 games at the Chester Stadium (news has it that it will be named PPL Park for $2 mil a year).