PDA

View Full Version : TFC to trial Jorge Andrade?

Nodoubtguy
01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
From Gerry Dobson via Soccercentral's twitter

I don't like rumours but this one sounds solid. Jorge Andrade from Portugal on trial with TFC this year. Stay tuned. -Dobson

http://twitter.com/sportsnetsoccer/status/8164276187

Impressive resume including Porto, Juve, Portugal NT and Deportivo La Coruna (aka De Guzman's old team), but only 44 games in the past 4 season??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Andrade

Keyman
01-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Wow. Pretty big name, who has a past riddled with injuries. If he can somehow regain his fitness level then he could be a major addition.

ArmenJBX
01-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Holy Mother of Tits :D

London
01-24-2010, 06:15 PM
if healthy and true then, sweet!!!

RedsYNWA
01-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Hey Jorge he's coming to our town

Keyman
01-24-2010, 06:20 PM
"During his short period with the team, Andrade showed he is in optimum physical condition according to the evaluation made by the medical services of the club."

That's from August of '09. Sounds promising.

flatpicker
01-24-2010, 06:24 PM
I like the possibility of something potentially interesting happening at some point.

ArmenJBX
01-24-2010, 06:26 PM
I pray we sign him. With a backline of him and Saied, we're set.

TFC_Junky
01-24-2010, 06:29 PM
I hope after 4 knee surgeries he's proper fit! He would be a great addition to the team if healthy. wonder what the cost would be?

Nuvinho
01-24-2010, 06:32 PM
so Said and Andrade on trials.....nice!!

Just wondering if anyone else would rather have signings than trials? Since, in most cases trials with TFC don't seem to materialize into full contacts.

Kiki where are you. ;)

ag futbol
01-24-2010, 06:38 PM
so Said and Andrade on trials.....nice!!

Just wondering if anyone else would rather have signings than trials? Since, in most cases trials with TFC don't seem to materialize into full contacts.

Kiki where are you. ;)
I'm not opposed to trials at all. Sometime's it's hard to get guys to agree to train with the team prior to signing though.

Where these guys have been established and willing to come here to workout... win-win IMO.

Nuvinho
01-24-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm not opposed to trials at all. Sometime's it's hard to get guys to agree to come and workout for the club though.

Where these guys have been established and willing to come here to workout... win-win IMO.

My only concern is with all these guys on trials.....what happens if they don't work out? find better offers? We are left high and dry and probably start the season without addressing the needs. That been said, I really hope that both Andrade and Said stick with the team.

ginkster88
01-24-2010, 06:46 PM
At least there is some action along the back line this off-season. Last year was dead until the hail-mary acquisition of Serioux.

Nuvinho
01-24-2010, 06:48 PM
I just realized....my bad....the reason probably why they are coming on trials is because the CBA isn't finalized. Mo may of told them to come over, and when the CBA was sorted out, they'd discuss the terms.

scooter
01-24-2010, 06:50 PM
knee probs could be mute on our real grass pitch

ag futbol
01-24-2010, 06:54 PM
True, there's definitely a risk. On the other hand, if we had signed someone like a Mino Polo without having a look first, we'd be absolutely sunk.

Two way street i guess. A player can play his value up or down. I think Kiki Musampa probably would have signed if we put pen right to paper same with that south american defender we lost out on (can't remember if that was 07 or 08).

ArmenJBX
01-24-2010, 07:12 PM
This season is looking awesome so far.

If it helps at all, removing all the players and adding the rumoured players, TFC goes from 2 and a half stars to 3 and a half stars in FIFA 10.

We're statistically a better team if we sign Saied and Andrade, and using a second round pick's average stats (55), and a last round pick average. (49)

So......sweet deal I guess. Hopefully this CBA get's sorted and we get our first full Portuguese player, something that the city of Toronto couldn't possibly live without.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-24-2010, 07:13 PM
nice looks like a good potential signing

brad
01-24-2010, 07:28 PM
I heard about this from another very well placed source. That source was talking about leaking it to the media.

ArmenJBX
01-24-2010, 07:32 PM
I heard about this from another very well placed source. That source was talking about leaking it to the media.

Tell us about it, tell us about it! :)

Super
01-24-2010, 08:09 PM
True, there's definitely a risk. On the other hand, if we had signed someone like a Mino Polo without having a look first, we'd be absolutely sunk.

Two way street i guess. A player can play his value up or down. I think Kiki Musampa probably would have signed if we put pen right to paper same with that south american defender we lost out on (can't remember if that was 07 or 08).

Kiki is a free agent again. Apparently his stay in South Korea was very short-lived. After that he played a bit in Holland, and then France - no first team matches though. Now he's without a club.

brad
01-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Tell us about it, tell us about it! :)

Not much to tell beyond what I posted. Heard about this around a month ago.

Andrade is friends with JDG though - that's where the TFC connection is.

Nuvinho
01-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Next Monday is the first day of camp.....I guess we'll see who all are on trials.

ArmenJBX
01-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Would there be trialists who we haven't heard of yet?

Nuvinho
01-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Would there be trialists who we haven't heard of yet?

If I remember correctly....last year, the regular team reported to Toronto for tests. Then when they went down South the trialists showed up. Some came for the first mini camp, then left, then a new set came in (some returned).

I am sure there are a handful of trialists we haven't heard of yet.

billyfly
01-24-2010, 09:19 PM
I don't believe it. Eu nao acredito.

billyfly
01-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Ok, maybe eu acredito agora.

Super Cereal
01-24-2010, 09:43 PM
This season is looking awesome so far.

If it helps at all, removing all the players and adding the rumoured players, TFC goes from 2 and a half stars to 3 and a half stars in FIFA 10.

We're statistically a better team if we sign Saied and Andrade, and using a second round pick's average stats (55), and a last round pick average. (49)

So......sweet deal I guess. Hopefully this CBA get's sorted and we get our first full Portuguese player, something that the city of Toronto couldn't possibly live without.
What are Said's and Andrade's overall ratings in FIFA 10?

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Just speculating, but I'm thinking the team will end up signing Andrade or Said not both. Additionally, I assume we'll see trial at the other positions Mo's always saying he looking for left sided mid. and striker.

ArmenJBX
01-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Andrade is a 73 in mine. Saied doesn't exist but based on input from FIFA forum members he would be about 68.

Damien
01-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Wow, it's good to see Preki wants to build from the net outwards...

Defense has been our problem all along!

Detroit_TFC
01-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Can we afford these guys?

Marco2K
01-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Maybe if the defense plays better we can win some games..lol

Nuvinho
01-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Can we afford these guys?

based on the 20 players we have under contract (not including Nana Joesph)...we are around $2.3M. Now depending on how much allocation we have, along with if there is an increase in CBA, we could sign them.

I figure $150K to $200K for Said? $250K to $300K for Andrade? (just the numbers I figure seem to be MLS salaries for International players).

ensco
01-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Didn't Dobson break the imminent Dickov signing about this time last year?

I swear Mo has something in his outlook that prompts him to leak a name every six weeks in the off season, just to keep the writers (and us) talking...

(interesting player, obviously.)

oxygenatedbrain
01-25-2010, 02:57 AM
Surprised Backe isn't bringing him in at NYRB...wasn't the reason Andrade didn't sign at Notts County Backe's sudden departure after he'd brought him in on trial? Maybe FO was actually paying attention and filed a discovery when Backe bolted...

brad
01-25-2010, 08:40 AM
I swear Mo has something in his outlook that prompts him to leak a name every six weeks in the off season, just to keep the writers (and us) talking...

Andrade's camp were talking about leaking it to the press last I heard.

JDG
01-25-2010, 08:52 AM
The news was reported in one of the local Portugeuse newspapers on Friday according to one of my friends.
I haven't seen it, and don't speak the language, so I couldn't confirm anything.
I searched the web for any mention of it on Saturday and came up with nothing.

JDG
01-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Duane at the 24th minute has written a piece on this rumour.

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/01/jorge-andrade-to-trial-at-tfc-moderate.html

Flint
01-25-2010, 09:36 AM
solid signing as long as his knees dont give out.

We should be good for a few more wins this year if we sign him or Saied or both.

billyfly
01-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Nothing about this in the Portuguese papers (abola.pt, record.pt, ojogo.pt)

JDG
01-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Nothing about this in the Portuguese papers (abola.pt, record.pt, ojogo.pt)

I was told Saturday that it had been in the papers. The guy who told me isn't a footie nut, but he's in tight with the local community.
He was excited and was able to tell me all about the guy.

billyfly
01-25-2010, 10:10 AM
It might have been one of the handful of local papers (and God forbid they have an on-line presence).

reggie
01-25-2010, 10:43 AM
if we sign these guys,could it be the end for wynne and robbo,400k savings?

JDG
01-25-2010, 10:52 AM
It might have been one of the handful of local papers (and God forbid they have an on-line presence).

My buddy says he was in Peppers Cafe (spelling???), and said an old man was reading the article, but he couldn't remember which local paper it was.
He says there was a picture and a full write-up.

tfcmanu
01-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Here is a list of Portuguese newspapers that could have news of Jorge Andrade coming to TFC:

http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/portugal.htm

Local Portuguese Newspaper:

http://www.solnet.com/

billyfly
01-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Sol is a local one and the story ain't in there.

tfcmanu
01-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Sol is a local one and the story ain't in there.

Sol I would believe is the biggest local Portuguese newspaper, I think the next issue is out on Friday so they might have the news on Jorge Andrade on Friday 29th.

billyfly
01-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Holy, in reading "O Sol" I didn't know that the Beatles Song "Michelle" was written for a Luso-American Girl from Fall River (now living in the Azores).

jloome
01-25-2010, 12:01 PM
TFC successful trials to date?

Seriously, I'd temper the excitment boys until we're sure this isn't just another case of MLS money being insufficient.

Trials don't excite me any more, as they always fall to zip.

Artur3575
01-25-2010, 12:05 PM
After wks of phonetag, Andrade just confirmed to me he will be at #TFC camp Feb 8 if no lockout. Story to follow at score.com. As per Kristian Jack tweet

Keegan
01-25-2010, 12:06 PM
TFC should just sign one of Andrade and Said. In the middle right now we have Nana (guaranteed starter) and we just need a partner for him and a couple serviceable backups... get Garcia out bring in Ross Smith (who is on trial also), then we'll have Serioux too although I'd like to see him at right back.

If Said will be 100k cheaper than Andrade then sign him unless Andrade shows he is fit

Nuvinho
01-25-2010, 12:39 PM
TFC successful trials to date?

Seriously, I'd temper the excitment boys until we're sure this isn't just another case of MLS money being insufficient.

Trials don't excite me any more, as they always fall to zip.

If these guys don't work out, we are back to the same back 4 as last year. I hope they do, but also I hope we aren't just hanging our hopes on Said and Andrade signing.

tfcmanu
01-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Miguel Garcia - Remember he was on trial last year I think he signed with Olhanense (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/S.C._Olhanense) in 2009 and had 11 appearances. Miguel Garcia is now with Braga this year...Anything can happen with trialist let's not get to excited.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=10103&highlight=miguel+garcia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_Garcia_(footballer)

torontocelt
01-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Judging by Andrade's wiki page he looks like he is pretty much done, I hope he can come back but with a record like his I would not be keen to take him until he has been put through proper pre season including playing full 90 minute games. His injury history seems quite severe and not worth taking a risk on unless proven otherwise. Whether or not a player would agree to join for an entire preseason with a view to a potential move is another matter.

dantdot
01-25-2010, 02:56 PM
http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2010/01/25/andrade-excited-to-trial-with-toronto-fc/

billyfly
01-25-2010, 03:18 PM
"I am very excited to reunite with my former teammate Julian De Guzman. I am hoping to secure a contract with Toronto to play in front of a large Portuguese community and in front of a tremendous atmosphere," Andrade said, speaking exclusively to The Score.

Shaughno
01-25-2010, 03:25 PM
I know I shouldn't be... but I got a little excited over that one...

billyfly
01-25-2010, 03:33 PM
I hope he's recovered and makes the team with his skill and ability to general our defense. .

We'll see if is just another broken down race car.

ArmenJBX
01-25-2010, 03:34 PM
It's happening baby! :D

Shaughno
01-25-2010, 03:36 PM
I hope he's recovered and makes the team with his skill and ability to general our defense. .

We'll see if is just another broken down race car.

Knee injuries, with the time he's had off, usually have a pretty good recovery rate. The problem with most athletes and knee injuries is they, and their club, want them back in action too soon and they're not physically, nor mentally 100%.

Hopefully, he's fully fit.

jloome
01-25-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm not betting much on a guy who's had the same knee repaired four times including twice in the last three years.

Sorry, but if he and Said (both talented, both with huge baggage) are the best prospects to marshall the backline, I'm going to start getting nervous now.

Damien
01-25-2010, 03:41 PM
I envision a scene from the simpsons where that russian dude's leg falls off when kicking a field goal.

Shaughno
01-25-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm not betting much on a guy who's had the same knee repaired four times including twice in the last three years.

Sorry, but if he and Said (both talented, both with huge baggage) are the best prospects to marshall the backline, I'm going to start getting nervous now.

Oh snap.. I didn't realize it was that bad!

Damien
01-25-2010, 03:46 PM

Welcome to the MLS!

ginkster88
01-25-2010, 04:02 PM
This excerpt from a Juventus press release is particularly discouraging:

"On 9 July 2008, during a training session at Pinzolo, the player Jorge Manuel Almeida Gomes de Andrade was the victim of another serious injury to his left knee (relapse of the fracture of the rotula) operated twice in the past season. A new osteosynthesis operation was thus needed. The post-surgery prognosis is a number of months. Given the impossibility for the player to recover to play professionally, the company has proceeded to fully write down the residual book value of the player's registration rights with a negative effect on the 2007-08 financial year for €6.8 million."

Emphasis mine. Link here (Page 5) (http://www.juventus.com/site/filesite/finance/comunicatipricesensitive/070808_trim_eng.pdf)

I think we're just taking a flyer on a player whose career is in its death throes.

pekduck
01-25-2010, 04:06 PM
http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2010/01/25/andrade-excited-to-trial-with-toronto-fc/

wow... hmm... okay.... no emotional reaction until the day he suits up for TFC

ua-kozak_TFC
01-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Knee injuries, with the time he's had off, usually have a pretty good recovery rate. The problem with most athletes and knee injuries is they, and their club, want them back in action too soon and they're not physically, nor mentally 100%.

Hopefully, he's fully fit.
have you ever had one?

Let me tell you... YOU ARE NEVER THE SAME. no matter what people say, its not a mental or recovery issue, its an issue of the operation. Plus you are almost bound to have demaged your meniscus as well when you demage your ligaments... Under intense stress your knee is never the same. And it affects how you play.. great example Ronaldo

Hitcho
01-25-2010, 04:35 PM
I'd take Ibrahim Said at this stage and partner him with Nana. Trade wynne and let Serioux play RB.

Andrade is an extremely exciting name, but in addition to the concerns of A) just being an expensive injury room candidate and B) taking off as soon as he does well to leave usin the lurch, i'd also be worried that he and JDG would feel elevated above the rest of the dressing room and that could be a divisive factor - not something we need after last season.

TFC07
01-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Great news! Kudos to TFC (and JDG?) for picking him up for a trial. This means if Andrade signs with TFC, then we got two quality CB's (Said AND Andrade) while Nana can play RB. Now we need to find a starting LB. :scarf:

T.Reis
01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
This guy was willing to take any job to try and get fit to get into the mix of the national team but I'm sure it's much to late now. Last i had heard he was even willing to go to S.America to play but again it didn't work out.

One thing no one has mentioned yet was that if it wasn't for the new grass this would have never been a possibility. However if he makes the team I wonder how available he would be when TFC are playing teams on turf. Or even when they train on pitch for that matter. ala - Abel Xavier.

Either way he was my fav player for a few years when he was at Porto. Would love to see him get a chance to play live. Good luck Jorge!

jloome
01-25-2010, 04:59 PM
This guy was willing to take any job to try and get fit to get into the mix of the national team but I'm sure it's much to late now. Last i had heard he was even willing to go to S.America to play but again it didn't work out.

One thing no one has mentioned yet was that if it wasn't for the new grass this would have never been a possibility. However if he makes the team I wonder how available he would be when TFC are playing teams on turf. Or even when they train on pitch for that matter. ala - Abel Xavier.

Either way he was my fav player for a few years when he was at Porto. Would love to see him get a chance to play live. Good luck Jorge!

I'm certainly not criticizing giving him the trial -- and if it works out it'd be huge.

But I'm just hoping we're going to see more realistic signings in short order to fill the central role, guys who are young and have something to prove, but already have enough track record to know they'll help.

I realize that's not easy at the best of times, but surely there's someone in MLS or another second-tier league who'd fit the bill.

Whoop
01-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Nothing to get overly excited about.

Even if he is deemed fit, I think a lot would depend on salary.

Hitcho
01-25-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm certainly not criticizing giving him the trial -- and if it works out it'd be huge.

But I'm just hoping we're going to see more realistic signings in short order to fill the central role, guys who are young and have something to prove, but already have enough track record to know they'll help.

I realize that's not easy at the best of times, but surely there's someone in MLS or another second-tier league who'd fit the bill.

C

B

A

Until that's done, I just don't think we'll see any trades of any significance, internal within the league or otherwise.

However, for what it's worth I share your low hope threshold for triallists with TFC, Jezza. Exciting pipe dreams but nothing actually to get excited about just yet.

ensco
01-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Hard to get excited - remember Abel Xavier? Once these defenders lose a step, even world class defenders, it's over.

But it's hard not to get a little excited though - how many guys come into MLS direct from a Juve?

Best part is that JDG is playing a role in player recruitment. That's huge.

azorean10
01-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Here's a couple of links from Portuguese media sources now reporting on this. It's certainly risky taking him on with all his previous injuries, but man, this guy was a great player and if he ever could regain some of that form. WOW !

http://desporto.sapo.pt/futebol/internacional/artigo/2010/01/26/jorge_andrade_vai_fazer_testes_n.html

says he is very happy to possibly have the chance to reunite with his former teammate and friend De Guzman. He is also excited about the chance at playing in front of a large Portuguese community in Toronto. I also found it interesting that somebody commented on the article stating that they could'nt believe the fact that no Portuguese teams were / are willing to give him a shot.

http://tv1.rtp.pt/noticias/index.php?t=Jorge-Andrade-experimenta-Toronto-FC.rtp&article=313671&visual=16&layout=55&tm=47

TorontoBlades
01-27-2010, 09:45 AM
I'd like to see our LB position get some attention. JB can't cut it anymore...but I feel pretty confident with Said & Gomez back there, Nana on the right and Wynne to the midfield or on a switch to the left...

Shaughno
01-27-2010, 09:50 AM
TB, we need both outside positions covered on the wings... I'm not confident with our current options.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-27-2010, 10:14 AM
meh im more concerned with LB id like to see what Preki has in store for Wynne (if he has anything ins tore for him)

Shaughno
01-27-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm hopeful for Preki... not so much Wynne. I think at this point in his career, he's not going to improve much tactically. His positioning and overall lack of defensive skill is stuff that's taught to you as you progress as a youngster and unless Preki is a miracle worker, I wouldn't expect anything out of the ordinary from Wynne this season.

That said, if we solidify the central defenders... I'm fine with Nana on the right.

Hitcho
01-27-2010, 01:26 PM
^ more likely is we only sign one of Andrarde or Said and partner them with Nana, then Serioux goes to RB and WYnne gets traded. Assuming Serioux is fit, which by the sounds of it he may not be. in that case expect us to keep wynee or trade for a couple of full backs with wynne heading out.

for the record, i quite like wynne, but i just don't think he'll fit well into the systems preki seems to like.

Super
01-27-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm hopeful for Preki... not so much Wynne. I think at this point in his career, he's not going to improve much tactically. His positioning and overall lack of defensive skill is stuff that's taught to you as you progress as a youngster and unless Preki is a miracle worker, I wouldn't expect anything out of the ordinary from Wynne this season.

That said, if we solidify the central defenders... I'm fine with Nana on the right.

Yup, I agree. He looked great when our team was overall shit, but now that we have better players in place, and we're tactically better, he just stands out - and not in a good way.