PDA

View Full Version : I Give Wynne 10 Games

TFC USA
01-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Tonight he sucked ass again in a friendly against Honduras. He was terrible against Costa Rica and struggled at club level with TFC.

I'm giving Marvell Wynne 10 games with Toronto FC this year to show a semblance of competency and intelligence to be a decent right back. If he continues this awful form with the USMNT like he is with TFC then he needs to be traded.

He's got great speed and athleticism but has a low soccer IQ, not to mention shockingly shit crosses. That's not good enough.

His being out of position, not crossing well, and getting pwned along the wings is not acceptable anymore.

Roogsy
01-23-2010, 11:36 PM
He has not improved much since his first year. I don't know about giving him 10 games or not, but I do know that the dream of selling him to Europe is getting further and further away.

CretanBull
01-23-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm not a fan of his, and think that if we can get reasonable value for him then we don't even need to give him 10 games ;)

TFC USA
01-23-2010, 11:44 PM
After the 10th game we can trade him to the Crew for the right to torture Bill ARcher.

ensco
01-23-2010, 11:44 PM
I don't think he's worth anything in trade or transfer value.

Marvell will have to battle to make the team. He strikes me as exactly the sort of player Preki doesn't like, ie someone with flair who is positionally unreliable.

If someone else comes in at CB, Nana will play RB, and Wynne would be a depth player, or could very easily be cut.

twistedchinaman
01-23-2010, 11:46 PM
^ I'd say he'll be cut. Big time.

I think we should've traded him last year, now he's useless and is a weight on our roster and potentially not even worth the right to torture Bill Archer. We might be lucky if we get one of his trolling lackeys. :lol:

TFC USA
01-23-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure he'll be cut. Some sucker will see trade value even if it's a draft pick in the 2nd round.

He may lose his starting job.

andyc
01-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Maybe Preki will get positional understanding into his head... A few spells on the bench will likely get the message across...

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Towards the end of 2008 I thought he was probably the best (-performing) player on the team, and many on here agreed at the time... which makes his play last year even more disappointing. Nana came in and did a much better job in my opinion and he should start next year at right back IMO.

jloome
01-24-2010, 12:32 AM
While I agree with the sentiment here with respect to his defensive skills, I suspect he has considerable trade value in MLS, at the very least, and perhaps broader.

He's a U.S. b-level international, whether deserved or not. There are plenty of players without international selection by a top-20 team who go for more money regularly.

In fact, if another MLS team took him on, I can see them doing so for purely sell-on investment purposes. I can also see either us or someone else converting him to a winger. He has speed, can dribble well enough to beat the odd guy and crosses reasonably well.

His biggest downside has always been his positional play.

twistedchinaman
01-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Maybe Preki will get positional understanding into his head... A few spells on the bench will likely get the message across...

Too late for that!

Wynne has been lapped twice over by Nana, and is slowly running out of options, if not already out. He'd better have one hell of an epiphany between now and First Kick, or he's done like a burnt crepe at a Parisian cafe.

andyc
01-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Too late for that!

Wynne has been lapped twice over by Nana, and is slowly running out of options, if not already out. He'd better have one hell of an epiphany between now and First Kick, or he's done like a burnt crepe at a Parisian cafe.

I agree completely but apparently Preki has a record of building solid defensive units. Either he coaches discipline into Wynne or he goes... Or Preki isn't the guy we've been sold...

prizby
01-24-2010, 02:59 AM
ugh he is a much better right winger

werewolf
01-24-2010, 03:02 AM
great guy, superb athlete, decent player. His contract his winding down, I would be surprised if he finished the season here.

CretanBull
01-24-2010, 05:08 AM
ugh he is a much better right winger

That's saying something because he's a horrible winger....

CretanBull
01-24-2010, 05:15 AM
While I agree with the sentiment here with respect to his defensive skills, I suspect he has considerable trade value in MLS, at the very least, and perhaps broader.

He's a U.S. b-level international, whether deserved or not. There are plenty of players without international selection by a top-20 team who go for more money regularly.

In fact, if another MLS team took him on, I can see them doing so for purely sell-on investment purposes. I can also see either us or someone else converting him to a winger. He has speed, can dribble well enough to beat the odd guy and crosses reasonably well.

His biggest downside has always been his positional play.

He has speed, we can all agree on that, but I've never seen him display anything close to what I'd consider dribbling skills or crossing ability. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a player who looks more uncomfortable with the ball at his feet than Wynne...watching him run with the ball at his feet is almost painfull and every left back in the league knows how to cover him - cheat inside to prevent his run and force him to put in a cross, because he's never shown the ability to put in a cross to a player. At best, he hoofs the ball into the box area and hopes someone from his team will pick out the ball, but crossing to as a means to make an intended pass or set up a play are beyond him at this point.

pepher
01-24-2010, 08:07 AM
you can't buy that guys speed. there's a decent enough player in there and Preki will be charged with finding him and digging him out. like with all players on the team, if they don't show their worth he'll be gone but I'm more than willing to give him a chance with Preki...

deacon
01-24-2010, 08:38 AM
there was a thread some time ago about Cronin at right back,I believe that's a real possibility. He doesn't have Wynne's speed/athletic ability,but he's a smarter, better skilled player, with a much better cross.Preki will see this early on, and take long hard look at Cronin @RB.

CretanBull
01-24-2010, 08:39 AM
^ it would be a waste of Cronin's talent to play him at RB....

deacon
01-24-2010, 08:47 AM
I don't see Cronin playing his natural position dm/cm until Robinson retires/traded.He's not a wing player, and would be more effective for team @RB.Wynne is likely to be traded within MLS for winger/forward before season begins.

CretanBull
01-24-2010, 09:10 AM
I don't see how playing a box-to-box midfielder at RB would be more effective for the team. I don't like Wynne, but the proper solution is to get a real RB, not slot in a young midfielder.

koryo
01-24-2010, 09:44 AM
We really should have dumped Wynne a year ago when people hadn't yet realized that he can't play football.

Well, it's a year later and Wynne can still run, can't play football and now he's been found out.

He's not going to learn how to play football in 10 games, so get rid of him.

CoachGT
01-24-2010, 09:51 AM
I don't think he's worth anything in trade or transfer value.

Marvell will have to battle to make the team. He strikes me as exactly the sort of player Preki doesn't like, ie someone with flair who is positionally unreliable.

If someone else comes in at CB, Nana will play RB, and Wynne would be a depth player, or could very easily be cut.

Agreed. But I'm not sure of trade value - I suspect most teams have figured his value out.

H Bomb
01-24-2010, 09:55 AM
careful Wynne...youve been given 10 games before TFC USA starts abother thread about you...

ArmenJBX
01-24-2010, 09:57 AM
How quick we turn on our own... Yes, he should be traded but the fact is he's not football-retarded like some people are suggesting. He single handedly stopped a C Ronaldo run last year and from what I remember, he's done a lot for our defence for three years now. His time here us up, but were talking about him like he was Marco velez or Kevin harmse or something. He wasn't that bad IMO

Wagner
01-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Wynne doesn't do a lot...but when he runs down an opponent at top speed, it's pretty impressive.
I think there are still good things to come from Wynne, maybe Preki can get it out of him.

torontocelt
01-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Agreed that Wynne isn't much of a footballer however how many club games has he played this season before this game for the US? As far as I am aware TFC have been on a break for three months or so and I presume he has also? To be honest I am shocked that he was called up after such a big lay off. If indeed this was his first proper game back then it is no real surprise he was crap, better players than him have been crap playing their first game in three months with little or no preseason. Maybe he has been playing and I am way off the mark?

TFCtoMUFC
01-24-2010, 10:40 AM
How quick we turn on our own... Yes, he should be traded but the fact is he's not football-retarded like some people are suggesting. He single handedly stopped a C Ronaldo run last year and from what I remember, he's done a lot for our defence for three years now. His time here us up, but were talking about him like he was Marco velez or Kevin harmse or something. He wasn't that bad IMO

Are we seriously going to use the Madrid game as something to rate our players with?

If Cristiano Ronaldo (I think I just gagged when I typed his name) really wanted to he probably could've gone through Marvell Wynne. That would prove what we already know, that he is better than Marvell Wynne. So instead he just calmly takes the ball up the pitch and if someone takes it off him then so what?

ag futbol
01-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Too late for that!
That's what Bruce Arena said a couple years ago! After four years in the league his defense has yet to tangibly improve.

I completely agree with the consensus of the thread.

Nuvinho
01-24-2010, 11:32 AM
For some reason I didn't really picture him as part of Preki's team this year. I figured if we brought in 1 or even 2 CBs, that either Nana or Serioux would be moved to RB.

If we can trade him for an MLS striker (that will be hard to do), another MLS CB, or allocation cash to get a striker/winger/Centre back outside of MLS, we should do it, since we have enough cover at RB.

poppamidnight
01-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Tonight he sucked ass again in a friendly against Honduras. He was terrible against Costa Rica and struggled at club level with TFC.

I'm giving Marvell Wynne 10 games with Toronto FC this year to show a semblance of competency and intelligence to be a decent right back. If he continues this awful form with the USMNT like he is with TFC then he needs to be traded.

He's got great speed and athleticism but has a low soccer IQ, not to mention shockingly shit crosses. That's not good enough.

His being out of position, not crossing well, and getting pwned along the wings is not acceptable anymore.

mmmm... Jimmy B is even crappier defensive IQ,

Only difference is Marvell has the speed to recoup after his screw-ups,

So what's the diff?
...Just cuz Jimmy B's Canadian we can look past this???

Lets give em both 10 games then eh? .... No you say??

I'm more confident with Marvell as a back than I am Jimmy B,
But i'd still prefer neither of them on our back 4...
Nana + Serioux and two others,

I'm down for no Jimmy or Marvell - Bump em up to MF if need be,

but please don't focus on Marvell's shortfalls, then proceed to completely ignore Brennan's....

Nuvinho
01-24-2010, 11:47 AM
^^ I think we all know that no matter what Jimmy B does, he won't be cut. We just have to wait it out til his retirement.

poppamidnight
01-24-2010, 11:51 AM
^^ I think we all know that no matter what Jimmy B does, he won't be cut. We just have to wait it out til his retirement.

Oh i'm not saying that, I'm just noting it's unfair to point out the reasoning behind a potential 10-game in move, is his sub-par defensive IQ, when by comparison Jimmy B would be wearing the defensive Dunce Cap...

If he's gunna rag-em, then rag-em both!
We can also was our hands of good Character/Fan-favorite Canadians, no?
(See Greg Sutton)

JonO
01-24-2010, 11:52 AM
You're all racist...

;)

Nuvinho
01-24-2010, 11:53 AM
My ideal TFC defence for next year:

Nana-----------New CB--------New CB---------New LB

but that will never happen.

poppamidnight
01-24-2010, 11:57 AM
My ideal TFC defence for next year:

Nana-----------New CB--------New CB---------New LB

but that will never happen.

I'm cool w/

Nana-----------Serioux/Gomez--------New CB---------New LB

I'd alternate/ride the hot hand of Serioux OR Gomez (not both)...

I think Gomez needs to be given a good run (hence some confidence) in order to show what he really has got (much like we did with Nana)...
THen we can learn if he's got it or not, then keep/rid ourselves of him

ag futbol
01-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Yeah good point, you can't overlook Brennan either. Despite not making the same charges as Marvell upfield, he's still just as badly out of position.

I still think Nana's best position is CB. I'd give Serioux a chance to see if he can play responsibly at RB, if not we're basically in need of a RB and LB. Gomez ... not sure if i trust him to start, he's good cover in anycase.

J .
01-24-2010, 12:56 PM
He is in the mix for the USMNT and people think he will be cut????

lol

TFC USA
01-24-2010, 12:59 PM
careful Wynne...youve been given 10 games before TFC USA starts abother thread about you...

I'm bringing the wood bitches.

TFC USA
01-24-2010, 01:00 PM
He's not even remotely in the mix anymore, J. He's shit the bed in the World Cup Qualifiers and the friendlies. This is more than enough.

rocker
01-24-2010, 02:01 PM
he's good enough for MLS.

He's not gonna be a euro player or something.

Note that MLS players generally have faults. Take the good with the bad.

That an MLS defender has faults is not news! ;)

CretanBull
01-24-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm cool w/

Nana-----------Serioux/Gomez--------New CB---------New LB

I'd alternate/ride the hot hand of Serioux OR Gomez (not both)...

I prefer Nana at CB, I think that he's showed us that he recovers from bad plays better than anyone else that we've ever seen - and as the season wore on he made fewer and fewer bad plays. I like what I've seen from Gomez, but I'm not sure if an inexperienced tandum of Nana/Gomez is something that we can build our season on.

Serioux has a certain skill set, but he's way too slow to be a reliable CB. He gets taken out of games by quicker forwards and has no ability to recover when he gets beat.

Hugh Jazz
01-24-2010, 04:48 PM
mmmm... Jimmy B is even crappier defensive IQ,

Only difference is Marvell has the speed to recoup after his screw-ups,

So what's the diff?
...Just cuz Jimmy B's Canadian we can look past this???

Lets give em both 10 games then eh? .... No you say??

I'm more confident with Marvell as a back than I am Jimmy B,
But i'd still prefer neither of them on our back 4...
Nana + Serioux and two others,

I'm down for no Jimmy or Marvell - Bump em up to MF if need be,

but please don't focus on Marvell's shortfalls, then proceed to completely ignore Brennan's....

I'm down for some consistency in the backline. The revolving door has yet to do much yet.

Brennan plays a lot better when he's paired with someone in front of him that's supposed to be there (i.e. Dunivant or Fellinga), not De Ro or Vitti.

Nana also prefers playing CB so I don't think we'll see him at RB.

arbogast
01-24-2010, 05:34 PM
He is in the mix for the USMNT and people think he will be cut????

lol

He's not at the USMNT level, we've all known it and his performance today (he scored a 2 for his poor play) confirms he's no great shakes:

D, Marvell Wynne, 2 : Wynne looked nothing less than shoddy. Pushing way too far up the right wing, he regularly left a gap behind him, one he doesn't have the ability to fill. Wynne is not ready for this level.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/4853517/ce/us/us-second-stringers-soundly-beaten?cc=5901&ver=us

GuelphStorm2007
01-24-2010, 05:50 PM
After the 10th game we can trade him to the Crew for the right to torture Bill ARcher.

I am for that..:flare:

ArmenJBX
01-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Nana-----Andrade-----Saied-----David Edgar?

Roogsy
01-24-2010, 06:30 PM
You're all racist...

;)

:lol:

Nuvinho
01-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Nana-----Andrade-----Saied-----David Edgar?

No Edgar...sorry!!! (getting a chance now at Burnley) Jimmy Brennan is here until he decides to retire....sigh!!

Other than that, I like the back 4.

jazzy
01-24-2010, 10:10 PM
No Edgar...sorry!!! (getting a chance now at Burnley) Jimmy Brennan is here until he decides to retire....sigh!!

Other than that, I like the back 4.

Will the likes of Brennan, Wynne and such bring down Preki? or will, players as such, who have lost a step, or out of sync, be recognized, and played accordingly....that is the season to me. Balls I say, that is what is needed....and will be rewarded accordingly.

Detroit_TFC
01-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Wynne's badness just blended in with the rest of the astounding badness of the US side in that match. We are so fucked-our reserve is awful.

I am glad I was liquored up.

LucaGol
01-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Marvell Wynne for Jonathan Bornstein straight up

SvenFlu
01-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Wynne's badness just blended in with the rest of the astounding badness of the US side in that match. We are so fucked-our reserve is awful.

The thing I didn't understand is if we were fielding a B Squad, why didn't we call-up that 20 year old kid playing for Aston Villa reserves - Eric something... Martin O'Neil seems to think highly of him. Surely he's better than Wynne.

CretanBull
01-24-2010, 11:36 PM

We'd do that in a heartbeat, Chivas would probably laugh at the offer :(

CretanBull
01-24-2010, 11:38 PM
The thing I didn't understand is if we were fielding a B Squad, why didn't we call-up that 20 year old kid playing for Aston Villa reserves - Eric something... Martin O'Neil seems to think highly of him. Surely he's better than Wynne.

Just guessing, but probably because its a lot to ask a kid to come from Europe (travel through so many time zones England - West coast of North America) for a meaningless game.

twistedchinaman
01-24-2010, 11:48 PM

Yeah, if we have asked for that LAST year we still wouldn't have gotten it done.

The time is now. Eject Wynne now before he becomes a write-off!

Mark in Ottawa
01-25-2010, 07:59 AM
At this point it would seem he has dropped down the depth chart to become an extra player. Preki will most likely work with him and size up his ability to adapt to the system he wants. And then it is most likely he will move elsewhere.

FluSH
01-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Because Wynne's stock has dropped so far... there is no value in trading him. There is more potential for us to work with Wynne under Preki in my opinion... I like Wynne, and I think he can at the very least come in as a sub and tear down the opposition with his speed late in the game... if he could only work on his crosses.

Brooker
01-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Wynne doesn't do a lot...but when he runs down an opponent at top speed, it's pretty impressive.
I think there are still good things to come from Wynne, maybe Preki can get it out of him.

maybe I'm being too optimistic cause he's been here since day one but I do think it's possible he can improve under a real coach.

CretanBull
01-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Because Wynne's stock has dropped so far... there is no value in trading him. There is more potential for us to work with Wynne under Preki in my opinion... I like Wynne, and I think he can at the very least come in as a sub and tear down the opposition with his speed late in the game... if he could only work on his crosses.

You're probably right, but in a league with a tight cap sometimes just getting a salary off the books is a good move - even if you get nothing in return. Sanyang and Gomez both came in pretty cheap...if we give away Wynne for nothing it would open up the cap space to sign another couple of players like the Gambians...if they're out there, if they're willing to play here, if they'll play for $60K etc.

Lot's of "ifs", but its something that should at least be considered...we don't have to be overly focussed on directly getting value for Wynne in a trade.

trane
01-25-2010, 11:07 AM
He has not improved much since his first year. I don't know about giving him 10 games or not, but I do know that the dream of selling him to Europe is getting further and further away.

That is the thing, who would buy him? Maybe a team that thinks that it can teach him and put the athletic ability to good use. Keep hope alive.

Darlofletch
01-25-2010, 11:27 AM
maybe I'm being too optimistic cause he's been here since day one but I do think it's possible he can improve under a real coach.

It's a good point, raw skill (well, pace at least) you can't teach but positioning and basic football sense can surely be drummed into him you'd hope. His lack of progress in that regard is quite the indictment of our previous coaching. Hopefully he's not a completely lost cause.

JonO
01-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that many american athletes, such as Wynne, probably get into football (seriously) later than those from Europe and South America. Accordingly, they're going to come into their own a little later.

He his still pretty young (same age as Cronin and younger than O'Brian White) so with his natural athleticism, I'm willing to give him some time under Preki.

I don't think he ever was or will be Europe-bound, but he still has the potential to be a good MLS defender.

Keegan
01-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Move Serioux to right back not Nana! Its funny Nana as a 19 year old in his first game played better than Wynne at right back and then played even better at center back. We want Nana playing center back, he is our best defender we need him in the center of the park. Serioux seems to be unfortunately running into injury problems and at the moment I think he should play right back, if he plays right back he may also find himself back on the national team if he can perform and stay healthy

FluSH
01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
I believe Wynne will find his form this year... I do belive!!!

jloome
01-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Again, he just had an international call up. You guys are all certifiably deluded if you think he's seen in as poor light by other people as he is by TFC fans.

What, you figured they called him up because they're running competitive windsprints after the matc? There are about 500 other American fullbacks they could've called up, but they called up Marvell Wynne.

I'm not saying people are wrong about his positioning, just about how he's generally viewed. This is not the Canadian national team, it's the yankees. They take this shit pretty seriously.

trane
01-25-2010, 12:00 PM
^ But the question is do managers around the league see him in the same positive light? Do you think there may still be a chance of him going to Europe?

torontocelt
01-25-2010, 12:31 PM

From what I could see all but one of the starting players were MLS based, there was one from the Danish Super League. The MLS teams have not played a competive match for months, indeed from what I have read the MLS teams did not even start pre season training until Friday the 22nd Jan. As for the guy who plays in Denmark, I am pretty sure that the league is shut down for winter. So that means that out of all of the 11 starters none have played recently and in the case of the MLS players none have had a proper pre season, from what I can gather they may not have even began pre season. Now I am unsure what kind of training goes on at international matches when they are pre season and also a friendly match to boot but I am guessing it is not going to be too strenuous?

It would be incredibly unfair to judge any of the starting players on how they performed that night, it is no surprise that prety much the entire team got bad ratings. I am sure there are some decent players in that team but their coach or the American FA basically gave them no chance due to some of the most insane match scheduling I have ever known. In my opinion those players should never have been playing in the first place.

arbogast
01-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Again, he just had an international call up. You guys are all certifiably deluded if you think he's seen in as poor light by other people as he is by TFC fans.

What, you figured they called him up because they're running competitive windsprints after the matc? There are about 500 other American fullbacks they could've called up, but they called up Marvell Wynne.

I'm not saying people are wrong about his positioning, just about how he's generally viewed. This is not the Canadian national team, it's the yankees. They take this shit pretty seriously.

You're kidding right? Read the review of his patch performance v. Honduras:

D, Marvell Wynne, 2 : Wynne looked nothing less than shoddy. Pushing way too far up the right wing, he regularly left a gap behind him, one he doesn't have the ability to fill. Wynne is not ready for this level.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/4853517/ce/us/us-second-stringers-soundly-beaten?cc=3888&ver=global

trane
01-25-2010, 02:46 PM
^ That can sound like a discription of his play for most TFC games ;"Pushing way too far up the right wing, he regularly left a gap behind him, one he doesn't have the ability to fill". After over three years of professional play why does he not get it. He is a Right Back, not the Right Striker.

rocker
01-25-2010, 02:47 PM
I always figured he pushes up because he knows he's fast and knows he can chase back anyone who gets past him.

trane
01-25-2010, 03:02 PM
^ But he cannot get back all the time, and when he gets back he is often out of position, in bad position, and he creates space which is too often used by the opposition players to counter, and leaves our other defenders too spread out to be effective.

Hugh Jazz
01-25-2010, 03:04 PM

While there hasn't been a real coach here yet, there has been three different ones coaching Wynne. Combine that with the time Wynne has spent with USMNT and Generation Adidas, you'd think at least one of those coaches would be able to work out Wynne's glaring faults. If Wynne experiences noticeable improvements this year under Preki, it'll be a huge credit to our new coach.

jloome
01-25-2010, 03:33 PM
You're kidding right? Read the review of his patch performance v. Honduras:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/4853517/ce/us/us-second-stringers-soundly-beaten?cc=3888&ver=global

YEah, a review by a fan or media generally means fuck all to a coach.

That's not the point, anyway. I didn't say he played well. Who fucking cares how he played! He got called up, again, by the US national team.

What part of the significance of that do people not get? It's not like the rest of the team was made up of MLS washouts.

JonO
01-25-2010, 04:07 PM
^ That can sound like a discription of his play for most TFC games ;"Pushing way too far up the right wing, he regularly left a gap behind him, one he doesn't have the ability to fill". After over three years of professional play why does he not get it. He is a Right Back, not the Right Striker.
Based on my chats with him - that's what he has been told to do. I'm sure some coaches salivate over his speed. However, from what I understand about Preki, Wynne will have a more specific role to play (hopefully). I'd like to see how he play's that role before I judge..

trane
01-25-2010, 04:25 PM
^ He seems like a real decent guy, and does not strike me as dense or with too much ego. preki may be the answer.

TFC07
01-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Trade Wynne to RSL (if they need an RB) for Will Johnson. :canada:

v00d00daddy
01-25-2010, 06:52 PM

That's not the point, anyway. I didn't say he played well. Who fucking cares how he played! He got called up, again, by the US national team.

What part of the significance of that do people not get? It's not like the rest of the team was made up of MLS washouts.

Okay, but what determines whether a player is good or not? I would say his/her play determines that. What does it matter if he was called up by the USMNT? If he's not good, he's not good.

No matter how much we blow sunshine up his ass here in Toronto or how much they do it at the USMNT.

The guy has brick feet...and a very poor sense of where he needs to be on the field. His redeeming quality will always be his athleticism...but that hardly makes him a good player.

Roogsy
01-25-2010, 06:58 PM
We know that...other teams may know that but not all teams do. Not all teams have access to that information or have seen him play. What Jeremy is saying is that by being called up to the National team, it's padded his resume (points if you like) and it can still be used as a selling point should we want to offload him (please do) to one of those teams that may be impressed by his call up to a national team en route to the World Cup.

v00d00daddy
01-25-2010, 07:00 PM
We know that...other teams may know that but not all teams do. Not all teams have access to that information or have seen him play. What Jeremy is saying is that by being called up to the National team, it's padded his resume (points if you like) and it can still be used as a selling point should we want to offload him (please do) to one of those teams that may be impressed by his call up to a national team en route to the World Cup.

Oh...I'm totally in for selling Wynne based on his USMNT exploits. If we can get something of substance for him, I'm in.

jloome
01-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Oh...I'm totally in for selling Wynne based on his USMNT exploits. If we can get something of substance for him, I'm in.

Believe me, being called up, even to a national 'b' or 'c' team, automatically gets you some juice. There's no way his trade value is gone yet.

Going, maybe....

We really should move him soon, because those waiting for the upside are, I suspect, going to be disappointed.

Detroit_TFC
01-25-2010, 09:25 PM

Along what CB said, I don't think teams had to release players for this date, which is probably why we didn't see Torres, since the Clausura is going now. I agree with the larger point, though.

We saw this level of b-team weakness in the Gold Cup too, especially in the 5-0 tonking we got in the Gold Cup final vs Mexico in 2009 (Troy Perkins was in goal for that shit too, hmmm). Bradley seems unable to address this. As for match fitness, ok, the players weren't match fit. But they were in camp for two weeks, so it's not like they got off the Greyhound bus and ran out onto the pitch.

The squad for the Feb 24 match vs El Salvador will be from the same pool so we'll see if Bradley tries something else.

arbogast
01-26-2010, 08:36 AM

you're missing my point. he got called up.....so fucking what? if he plays like shit coaches notice cuz they'll be scouting the match. In fact, the reviewer pretty much summed up how Wynne plays game in game out. If that dude noticed it, I'm sure all the souts were too.

trane
01-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Believe me, being called up, even to a national 'b' or 'c' team, automatically gets you some juice. There's no way his trade value is gone yet.

Going, maybe....

We really should move him soon, because those waiting for the upside are, I suspect, going to be disappointed.

Agreed. My last hope would be that a defensive manager like Preki may change him. But other then that, his time is running out.