PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Zimmermann - Striker

Yeoman
01-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Yes yes I know I know.
However; I honestly think we should give him a shot as a try out at least for the preseason.
I've seen him play several times last year (as well as Shep and RPBLondon) when he played for FC London last year.
For the season opener last year, my first thought of him was 'what the hell is he doing here?!? why hasn't he been picked up by a USL side at least?'
He'e great foot handling, can score with both feet, even seen em head it into the net.
His only down side from that I've seen? He can not score from a distance. Distance is ie; the edge of the box and back really. But really, he's a striker, that's not his job.
He's got a video up on youtube for you guys to check out.
Shows his earlier stuff, right up till London last year.
I mean the guy is young, looks rather quick, can handle a ball, and can score rather well. A great player to have on the bench this year.
Starter? No not yet, but who knows.
He is either number 7 or 11 in the video.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ckZT9xORV34&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ckZT9xORV34&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jloome
01-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Yes yes I know I know.
However; I honestly think we should give him a shot as a try out at least for the preseason.
I've seen him play several times last year (as well as Shep and RPBLondon) when he played for FC London last year.
For the season opener last year, my first thought of him was 'what the hell is he doing here?!? why hasn't he been picked up by a USL side at least?'
He'e great foot handling, can score with both feet, even seen em head it into the net.
His only down side from that I've seen? He can not score from a distance. Distance is ie; the edge of the box and back really. But really, he's a striker, that's not his job.
He's got a video up on youtube for you guys to check out.
Shows his earlier stuff, right up till London last year.
I mean the guy is young, looks rather quick, can handle a ball, and can score rather well. A great player to have on the bench this year.
Starter? No not yet, but who knows.
He is either number 7 or 11 in the video.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ckZT9xORV34&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ckZT9xORV34&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Decent looking player. They should invite him to camp, see if he outlasts those two dudes from central America who made it through one half of one game.

Whoop
01-22-2010, 12:38 AM
But wouldn't he count as an import given that he is Mexican?

Hitcho
01-22-2010, 09:04 AM

Hehe, I know what you;re saying dude but this bit read funny!

- he can handle feet
- score with both feet (image of him jumping two footed onto the ball to get it into the net)
- cannot kick the ball hard enough to score from the edge of the area
- not his job as a striker to be able to score from the edge of the area (wtf?!)

I think this is a great time of year to give try outs to young players with potential though. much better than during the play off run in when you bring some guy in to smash the smach off of one of the starting XI. :facepalm:

Yeoman
01-22-2010, 09:09 AM
yeah i noticed that, really i meant to say the whole box, i guess i can see where that could of been confusing.
i did write that when i was drinking last night, leave me be!

Hitcho
01-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Haha! Forgiven in that case, and sorry if it came across as a dig, it wasn't supposed to be! :D

jloome
01-22-2010, 12:30 PM
It's a doubly funny statement when you consider he....chips the goalie from just outside the edge of the area, in one of thsse clips.

Guess his leg is a little better than drunkenly advertised, eh Yeoman?

Yeoman
01-22-2010, 07:18 PM
just going with what my observations over last season in the PDL was like is all.
still say he's worth a trial for the team.
i talked to him last year after one of the games, and believe it or not, he loved the area.
yeah he probably would be counted as an international. there inlies a problem too. he was working off of a visa last year for FC London when that stupid thing came down from Immigration.
as well with the box comment; well if he could get goals from 40 yards out, he wouldn't be trying to find a team to play for you know? teams would be kicking down his door to get him.

prizby
01-23-2010, 06:02 PM
yeoman-having seen FC London, what are your thoughts on Scott Cliff?

Yeoman
01-23-2010, 06:08 PM
he had great games in the begining, but he also had eh games.
did his fair share of yelling to keep the defenders organize.
had a rather good accurate kick down field.
why are you asking? is he one of the goalies TFC picked up for trials?

London
01-23-2010, 07:55 PM
how odd is it that i pulled my FC london jersey out today??

Yeoman
01-23-2010, 07:57 PM
none at all, been rocking mine the last little while
trying to see if i can score a white one off of ian.

London
01-23-2010, 07:59 PM
have you been talking to ian??

do you know what happened to the store???

Yeoman
01-23-2010, 08:02 PM
i can ask and get back to you
i figured they just closed shop for the season and have it reopened in a couple of months hopefully.

London
01-23-2010, 08:34 PM
that is my assumption also.

I wonder who will be back from last seasons squad

Yeoman
01-23-2010, 08:36 PM
not sure yet either
try outs are coming up soon i know that.
zimmermann is trying to get picked up by pro teams i know that talking to him a few months back (not trying to have TFC look at him, just saying :D )

prizby
01-24-2010, 01:42 AM
he had great games in the begining, but he also had eh games.
did his fair share of yelling to keep the defenders organize.
had a rather good accurate kick down field.
why are you asking? is he one of the goalies TFC picked up for trials?

i wish lol...no he goes to school with me...he was 2nd team all canadian this year, he's real good...he tried out for the Union and I believe he has a tryout with Portland coming out

not only is his kick accurate, but it has real good distance...do you feel he'd be an adequate back up? or any other thoughts on him...did you like his play?

Yeoman
01-24-2010, 11:03 AM
he was definetely one of the better goalies in that particular division of the USL PDL
i think he'd be a good back up for somewhere in the USL/NASL right now for sure.
keeps up the learning curve, could very well get into the MLS in my mind.
i thought he communicated rather well with the players.
made so pretty good saves for us. but like most goaltenders, needed to learn how to control those rebounds much better and actually hold the ball.

Yeoman
02-01-2010, 12:26 PM
First 70 set for USL Showcase
Participants unveiled for upcoming player combine
USL News Release
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
TAMPA, FL – The first set of participants were announced for the upcoming 2010 USL Men’s Showcase with 70 players committed for the event with an additional 20 to be announced in the coming weeks.
http://www.uslsoccer.com/imgs/usl-0112010-showcase70.jpgThe fourth annual combine will be hosted by the Charleston Battery of the USL Second Division at the club’s famous Blackbaud Stadium February 4-6.

Among the 70 players unveiled are 59 players with experience in the USL Premier Development League, 39 of which have played at least two seasons in the league. Leading the list of players are former PDL All-Conference selections Anthony Dibiase (Forest City London, 2009), Richard Martinez (Long Island Rough Riders, 2009) and Jake Stacy (West Michigan Edge 2006), who played for the Michigan Bucks the past two seasons.
The most recent USL Player Showcase, held in December of 2008, linked 25 of the 90 players who participated with professional clubs in North America. Players who signed with MLS or USL First Division clubs included: Jarius Holmes (Austin Aztex), Tom Heinemann (Charleston Battery), Steve Clark (Charleston Battery), Javier Ayala-Hill (Chivas USA), Anthony Peters (D.C. United), Nicolas Torres (Miami FC), Danny Vasquez (Miami FC), Erik DiLorenzo (Montreal Impact), Alec Dufty (New York Red Bulls), Wes Knight (Vancouver Whitecaps) and Kenold Versailles (Vancouver Whitecaps).
Another 14 players signed contracts in the USL Second Division with the Harrisburg City Islanders (6), Crystal Palace Baltimore (1), Pittsburgh Riverhounds (1), Real Maryland Monarchs (1) and Western Mass Pioneers (5).
In all, USL has helped to establish the professional playing careers of 109 players through the USL Player Combine since 2006.
“To have one-third of all the players who have ever attended the USL Player Combine catch on with a professional club legitimizes the event,” said USL Director of PDL Operations, Lee Cohen. “When we started the USL Player Showcase in 2006, we knew there were talented players out there who deserved a shot to play professionally. Adding over a hundred players to the professional ranks in the past three seasons has undoubtedly raised the level of play in North America.”

http://www.uslsoccer.com/docs/USL-Showcase70list.pdf

was picked up for this, so it goes to show he's got some talent for stuff around here.