PDA

View Full Version : Luis Gil close to signing MLS deal

Nuvinho
01-21-2010, 02:46 PM
MLS is in negotiations with U.S. Under-17 national team midfielder Luis Gil and are closing in on an agreement, sources with knowledge of the deal told SBI on Thursday. Gil, 17, is still weighing a variety of options, but talks with MLS have progressed after stalling before the 2010 MLS Draft and Gil could sign with the league before the new season.

A technically gifted playmaker who projected to be a first-round pick in the 2010 MLS Draft, Gil has received interest from high-profile clubs such as Arsenal and Real Madrid, but appears close to signing with MLS.
So how will his MLS destination be determined? Based on MLS precedent, Gil is likely to be assigned to a team via a weighted allocation lottery, with the teams with the worst records in MLS last season having the best chance to land him.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/01/luis-gil-close-to-signing-mls-deal.html

Nuvinho
01-21-2010, 02:46 PM
5th best possibility of Toronto landing him....wooohoo!!! I highly doubt we'll get him. I betcha Philly snags another player, or NYRB gets this guy.

Keegan
01-21-2010, 08:00 PM
MLS is just retarded

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-22-2010, 01:11 AM
Meh, how many American 17-year-olds do we need?

Nuvinho
01-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Meh, how many American 17-year-olds do we need?

I think we'd take this kid....have you heard or seen him play? I personally haven't seen him play, but I have heard things from many that he is worth picking up, and if developed properly will be an asset to any team. I don't think TFC is in the business of turning down assets especially for free.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-22-2010, 09:52 AM
yeah especially if they are being scoped out by real etc etc

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-23-2010, 12:06 AM
I think we'd take this kid....have you heard or seen him play? I personally haven't seen him play, but I have heard things from many that he is worth picking up, and if developed properly will be an asset to any team. I don't think TFC is in the business of turning down assets especially for free.

My thinking is that we have a limited number of America roster spots, seems unsound to use too many of them on project players.

Just cause someone gets a sniff from some big clubs doesn't mean they're destined for great things, big clubs looks at tons and tons of players.

ua-kozak_TFC
01-23-2010, 10:06 AM
5th best possibility of Toronto landing him....wooohoo!!! I highly doubt we'll get him. I betcha Philly snags another player, or NYRB gets this guy.
Didn't philly traded their #1 allocation to DC for 6th pick and fred? so Dc would be getting the dude...

Nuvinho
01-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Didn't philly traded their #1 allocation to DC for 6th pick and fred? so Dc would be getting the dude...

DC is 6th in the allocation order.

Philly traded the 1st allocation to DCU in that trade (they also swapped spots). So NYRB is 1st.

Here is the current Allocation Order:
1. New York Red Bulls
2. San Jose Earthquakes
3. Kansas City Wizards
4. Toronto FC
5. FC Dallas
6. Philadelphia Union
7. Colorado Rapids
8. New England Revolution
9. Chivas USA
10. Seattle Sounders
11. Columbus Crew
12. Chicago Fire
13. Houston Dynamo
14. Los Angeles Galaxy
15. Real Salt Lake
16. D.C. United

P.S. I guess I got that wrong......we are 4th.

seankeay
01-23-2010, 11:02 AM
I dont think trading your "waiver" allocation means anything in this one, its just a weighted lottery on how bad teams are. Once again its MLS rules so they are as clear as mud.

But, to say that we dont need a 17 year old american kid, Ill put this into perspective. Jack McInerney was drafted 7th overall last thursday and Luis Gil is ALOT, and I mean ALOT better then McInerney. He could come off the bench in year 1 and actually help the team.

Once again tho, he would just be a rental as he is dreaming of the big leagues.

Nuvinho
01-23-2010, 11:06 AM
We could also use him as trade bait, similiar to what happened with Guarda (sp?) in Dallas.

jloome
01-23-2010, 12:56 PM
He's been courted by Real Madrid and Man Utd. already. But he's just seen as a talented youngster there, whereas here he could be playing regularly within a year or so.

Either way, his market value in the first four years of his career, unless he flames badly, will be quite high. So any team would be lucky to get him.

Nuvinho
02-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Weighted Lottery for him to happen on Monday.

http://mlsinsiderblog.com/?p=1308

Nuvinho
02-19-2010, 03:43 PM
LOTTERY
Some players shall be assigned to MLS teams via the weighted Lottery process. Any team assigned a player through the lottery in any particular season shall not be assigned another lottery player that season unless and until all teams have received a lottery player or have agreed to waive their option to participate in a Lottery. The players made available through lotteries include:
(i) Generation adidas players signed after the MLS SuperDraft;
(ii) Draft eligible players to whom an MLS contract was offered but who failed to sign with the League prior to the Draft.
The weighted lottery takes into consideration each team's performance over its last 30 regular season games and the most recent postseason. The team with the worst record over its last 30 regular season games (dating back to previous season if necessary and taking playoff performance into account) will have the greatest probability of winning the lottery. Teams are not required to participate in a lottery. Players are assigned via the lottery system in order to prevent a player from potentially influencing his destination club with a strategic holdout.

Nuvinho
02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
^ I bet the NYRB get him.

From Goff:

The weighted lottery is based on how clubs finished during the 2009 season, with New York holding the best odds of winning. Awaiting clarification on where expansion Philadelphia stands. Expansion Philadelphia will have the worst chance.
"His family would like to see him on the West Coast, but we'll see where he's going to be," Gartlan said. "He's open to anything."

Lucky Strike
02-19-2010, 03:48 PM
^ I bet the NYRB get him.

That would be my guess too. How does Philadelphia fit into this system if they have no prior record? Similar to the draft and how expansion teams get the #1 pick, do they have the biggest chance of winning this thing?

Nuvinho
02-19-2010, 03:51 PM
That would be my guess too. How does Philadelphia fit into this system if they have no prior record? Similar to the draft and how expansion teams get the #1 pick, do they have the biggest chance of winning this thing?

sorry, I edited my post. Philly will have the best chance of getting him as per Goff.

Detroit_TFC
02-19-2010, 04:18 PM
He could be an interesting test case. Here is a player actively recruited by a number of CL quality teams for their youth systems. If he spends a couple years in MLS learning and maturing, and still generates that level of interest at age 19, that would be a positive step for MLS (e.g. MLS helps not hinders young quality talent).

ensco
02-19-2010, 05:25 PM
What does "Gil has received interest from high-profile clubs such as Arsenal and Real Madrid" mean?

Real or Arsenal can't be all THAT interested. Or they'd have signed him. It's not as though MLS can remotely compete with those teams financially.

flatpicker
02-19-2010, 05:37 PM
What does "Gil has received interest from high-profile clubs such as Arsenal and Real Madrid" mean?

Real or Arsenal can't be all THAT interested. Or they'd have signed him. It's not as though MLS can remotely compete with those teams financially.

I think it means that a couple of scouts from Arsenal and RM went to the States asking, "So, what's the deal with this kid?". Then they got there, saw him, and said, "Oh, nothing special... never mind".

SvenFlu
02-19-2010, 05:58 PM

It means they wanted to sign him but he doesn't have an EU passport. He was eligible for a Spanish passport but his whole family would have had to move to Spain like Carlos Vela's family. Even FIFA is cracking down on that now.

Shway
02-19-2010, 06:08 PM
It means they wanted to sign him but he doesn't have an EU passport. He was eligible for a Spanish passport but his whole family would have had to move to Spain like Carlos Vela's family. Even FIFA is cracking down on that now.

correct
gotta be 19, and a great young talent

i think its good FIFA is doing that, leagues, teams are getting more money, because bigger clubs cant poach players away. And there is no such thing as free trasnfers for U-25, anymore i believe

so FIFA is cracking down in goodways

Super
02-19-2010, 06:29 PM
[quote]Based on MLS precedent, Gil is likely to be assigned to a team via a weighted allocation lottery, with the teams with the worst records in MLS last season having the best chance to land him.

:picard:

http://ethan.dailycrayon.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/MickeyMouse-Soccer-20091129.jpg

Stryker
02-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Never heard of this kid or story till today.
Nice to see a young talent coming into the league, whomever he might play for.

Nuvinho
02-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Kansas City Wizards won the lottery for Luis Gil, but they will trade him.

SoccerInsider (http://twitter.com/SoccerInsider)

Kansas City Wizards have won the special weighted lottery for U.S. under-17 midfielder Luis Gil, Insider has learned

Stryker
02-22-2010, 01:56 PM
LA could end up getting him? There's a shocker.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/02/luis_gil_to_wizards_for_the_mo.html

Nuvinho
02-22-2010, 01:59 PM
LA could end up getting him? There's a shocker.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/02/luis_gil_to_wizards_for_the_mo.html

I think probably Chivas or whatever they are called now. If the Galaxy get him, then there will be an uproar for sure.

If I was KC, I would ask from the Galaxy one of their young backline players - AJ Delagarza (sp?), a 1st rounder, and allocation. You gotta rob the Galaxy.

From Chivas, ask for 1st rounder plus allocation.

rocker
02-22-2010, 02:19 PM
MLS doesn't have free agency? Looks like Gil will get exactly what he wants in the end....

brad
02-23-2010, 10:45 AM
I think probably Chivas or whatever they are called now. If the Galaxy get him, then there will be an uproar for sure.

If I was KC, I would ask from the Galaxy one of their young backline players - AJ Delagarza (sp?), a 1st rounder, and allocation. You gotta rob the Galaxy.

From Chivas, ask for 1st rounder plus allocation.

Except this won't work - it didn't when we had McBride's rights. All the Galaxy or Chivas would have to do is stand their ground, knowing that the league will eventually broker a deal.

brad
02-23-2010, 10:46 AM
MLS doesn't have free agency? Looks like Gil will get exactly what he wants in the end....

And so he should. This notion of dealing players to locations/teams that they don't want to go to is silly.

tfcleeds
02-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Gil has already expressed his desire to go to Seattle or Real Salt Lake (??), so expect the Wizards to make a deal with either of those two.

anto7
02-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Gil has already expressed his desire to go to Seattle or Real Salt Lake (??), so expect the Wizards to make a deal with either of those two.
Good call, deal done with RSL today !

Pigfynn
02-24-2010, 02:04 PM
From the footy blog:

Real Salt Lake acquired 16-year-old midfielder (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700011533/Real-Salt-Lake-trades-for-16-year-old-Luis-Gil.html) Luis Gil from the Kansas City Wizards in exchange for a 2011 second round draft pick, an international roster spot and a portion of future transfer fees if Gil is sold to an foreign club.

Pachuco
02-24-2010, 02:09 PM
second round pick and an international slot? hmm. looks like they were forced to trade Gill for peanuts. I don't see how they let him go for less then a first round pick.

Shaughno
02-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Pretty sweet deal for KC... MLS takes what, 30% of the transfer fee? So figure KC's probably getting 20% and the rest of it goes to RSL when they sell him abroad?

Shaughno
02-24-2010, 02:11 PM
second round pick and an international slot? hmm. looks like they were forced to trade Gill for peanuts. I don't see how they let him go for less then a first round pick.

From the sounds of it, this kid is expected to end up in Europe so I'm assuming their banking on recouping from the transfer fee's...

besides, they paid nothing for Gil and got stuff in return. Not too shabby for a kid that had no intention of playing for your team.

Pachuco
02-24-2010, 02:13 PM
From the sounds of it, this kid is expected to end up in Europe so I'm assuming their banking on recouping from the transfer fee's...

besides, they paid nothing for Gil and got stuff in return. Not too shabby for a kid that had no intention of playing for your team.

That does make sense. But we all know Mo held McBride hostage here when he somehow landed on our lap :). I think a first rounder would have been a little more fair.

Shaughno
02-24-2010, 02:14 PM
I don't disagree, but if this kid fetches 5-10MM down the road, that could possibly net KC a cool million or more.