PDA

View Full Version : Give it up for Edwards

Cashcleaner
06-15-2008, 04:38 AM
The guy almost had a clean sheet today but for Gomez's free kick, and I think he deserves some big props for playing as well as he did.

Dichio and Ricketts obviously had a big hand in today's win, but let's not forget the 13 shots on goal from Colorado that Edwards had to contend with. Gotta respect the guy for maintaining the same level of energy throughout the entire match.

CretanBull
06-15-2008, 05:29 AM
I thought he played really well and made some big saves at a time when the game was still on the line. He had no chance on the free kick - the wall in front of him was really poorly set. I love the fact that he was clearly upset after letting it in though...a couple of weeks after getting called out for his lack of intensity, he looked mad at himself for giving up a goal when we had 3 of our own on the board.

Brooker
06-15-2008, 05:48 AM
he played awsome. made some great saves.

definatly made me a believer tonight.

The Kingpin
06-15-2008, 06:43 AM
He also transitioned the play well. His ball distribution via kicks and throws was excellent. He set the tempo for the game when insuring he distributed the ball in an appropriate fashion. I was quite impressed with what I saw, and it made me feel quite secure with our goalkeeping future. He has been a pleasant surprise with the only gaffe being that goal in game one vs. Columbus. Good job overall!! MOM IMO

Flipityflu
06-15-2008, 07:09 AM
he had a great game, and the goal agaisnt him was unstoppable, so no worries about that.

The Pope
06-15-2008, 07:12 AM
He could of perhaps positioned the wall better, but that will come with more experiance and you really can't pick one thing to complain about (even on this board) after his game last night

very promising

bdrs
06-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Edwards killed yesterday! Great job!!!

Broadview
06-15-2008, 07:31 AM
The guy exuded confidence and played great. He certainly is a presence in the net as well. I liked how he wasn't afraid to throw the ball up to the midfield and he's got a helluva arm to boot (ha ha).

If you see the replay of the free kick goal from behind the net you can see that once it was kicked, he really had no chance to make a save since he couldn't see the ball. The Rapid players in the wall made sure of that. It was a great free kick by them, sometimes you have to give credit where credit is due.

Ron Manager
06-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Great game by Edwards and he deserved a clean sheet. I thought the foul call to award that free kick was weak. Felt sorry for the lad.

GoonerFootball4
06-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Edwards did play extremely well apart for not organizing his wall on the set piece that resulted in the goal. He was commanding in the air and cut of angles on some Cummings chances. Isn't it funny that only two goals have been scored on us at home and they were both off set pieces.

Blazer
06-15-2008, 08:17 AM
He made 2 particular saves that were Sutton-esk but really wasn't tested beyond that. He did well enough to preserve the victory but I think it was inevidable no matter who was in goal. He's got some confidence now.

Ron Manager
06-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Edwards did play extremely well apart for not organizing his wall on the set piece that resulted in the goal. He was commanding in the air and cut of angles on some Cummings chances. Isn't it funny that only two goals have been scored on us at home and they were both off set pieces.

What a refreshing change from last year....a much improved defence.

Fort York Redcoat
06-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Edwards we love you!

Great saves and I love seeing him yelling at his backs. He was a little general.

Broadview
06-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Great game by Edwards and he deserved a clean sheet. I thought the foul call to award that free kick was weak. Felt sorry for the lad.

Really? Tebily pretty much clotheslined the guy while they were both going up for the header. I wasn't at the game so I had the benefit of seeing a slow-mo replay.

I thought the ref had a great game, but I always seem to feel that way when we win :).

djking2
06-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Can he ever throw the fuckin ball

ExiledRed
06-15-2008, 09:23 AM
What a change from having a rent-a-keeper, or sub-par USL level goalies when our #1 is out of the lineup.

Edwards did a great job, and made a good case to start against Kansas, given Sutton let three past him at Houston.

Broadview
06-15-2008, 10:54 AM
What a change from having a rent-a-keeper, or sub-par USL level goalies when our #1 is out of the lineup.

Edwards did a great job, and made a good case to start against Kansas, given Sutton let three past him at Houston.

That's Carver's rule, isn't it? Play well and keep your shirt?

Depending on what day it is anyway.

I say throw him in there...ride the hot guy.

ManUtd4ever
06-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Most of Colorado's shot attempts were directly at Edwards, but has definitely earned the right to start against KC. Our depth in goal is quite a contrast to last year...

colman1860
06-15-2008, 11:12 AM
I wasn't at the game so I had the benefit of seeing a slow-mo replay.

I thought the ref had a great game, but I always seem to feel that way when we win :).

It was hard to see sitting in 108, but I thought the ref got it right, though we never got a replay: Did Cunningham dive in the box? If so, hes a twat. If not...he still is.

SarahV
06-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Edwards was solid. I expected a sieve and was pleasantly surprised. Go Edwards!

rocker
06-15-2008, 12:20 PM
a number of times Edwards kicked the ball downfield directly onto Dichio's head... Dichio hardly had to move.. great accuracy.

sidvan
06-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Edwards played extremely well. Ball distribution and communication with the backs and midfielders was fantastic. Tremendous strides forward in his development as a rookie. If Ricketts had scored two my vote was Edwards for man of the match.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-15-2008, 12:26 PM
He was good but lets be honest, there wasnt alot of work to do.
Did have some key saves tho. Great backup keeper.

rocker
06-15-2008, 12:28 PM
to best judge Edwards, i would definitely like to see him in a game where he faces some real strikers and stones them over and over again (think of Sutton vs Landycakes in LA). I haven't seen Edwards have that opportunity yet.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-15-2008, 02:26 PM
to best judge Edwards, i would definitely like to see him in a game where he faces some real strikers and stones them over and over again (think of Sutton vs Landycakes in LA). I haven't seen Edwards have that opportunity yet.

Yep, zactly

Broadview
06-15-2008, 02:32 PM
It was hard to see sitting in 108, but I thought the ref got it right, though we never got a replay: Did Cunningham dive in the box? If so, hes a twat. If not...he still is.

If it was a Rapids player who fell like that, it would have been a blatent dive, totally. No question whatsoever.

Seeing as it was Cunny, he may have just lost his balance trying not to trip.

Aw, who am I kidding. He flopped. It's embarassing, really. He deserved the card and I hope Carver reams him out for it.

egoodwin
06-15-2008, 03:10 PM
0 goals against at home during the regular run of play

Good work Sutton and Edwards

Oldtimer
06-15-2008, 03:20 PM
The great thing is that Edwards plays a very similar style to Sutton. (Zidane10 called him last game "Sutton Lite"). This really helps our defense because they don't have to adjust to different styles of keeping.

ensco
06-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Edwards made a bunch of grabs of crosses in the rain against LA, of the type that Petr Cech just muffed in similar conditions, which started the Czech collapse in the Euros

olegunnar
06-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Most of Colorado's shot attempts were directly at Edwards, but has definitely earned the right to start against KC. Our depth in goal is quite a contrast to last year...

When you're well positioned it looks easy.

Edwards plays like he's been well coached and has a natural feel for the position.

Cashcleaner
06-16-2008, 01:30 AM
He made 2 particular saves that were Sutton-esk but really wasn't tested beyond that. He did well enough to preserve the victory but I think it was inevidable no matter who was in goal. He's got some confidence now.

I respectfully disagree. The guy earned his pay on Saturday and then some. You can give kudos to the defence, that's granted. But the level of energy he showed was quiet impressive for MLS.

CretanBull
06-16-2008, 01:53 AM
Edwards made a bunch of grabs of crosses in the rain against LA, of the type that Petr Cech just muffed in similar conditions, which started the Czech collapse in the Euros

He had a good game, but let's hold off on the Petr Cech comparissons for now...something tells me that Tuncay can drill the ball in with a little more on it than Buddle can ;)

ensco
06-16-2008, 07:28 AM
He had a good game, but let's hold off on the Petr Cech comparissons for now...something tells me that Tuncay can drill the ball in with a little more on it than Buddle can ;)

Not my point. My point is that Edwards hasn't faced lasers to the corners yet, but he has done a great job of not making mistakes.

Cech made an epic error, it had nothing to do with Tuncay.

Shaughno
06-16-2008, 07:40 AM
He also transitioned the play well. His ball distribution via kicks and throws was excellent. He set the tempo for the game when insuring he distributed the ball in an appropriate fashion. I was quite impressed with what I saw, and it made me feel quite secure with our goalkeeping future. He has been a pleasant surprise with the only gaffe being that goal in game one vs. Columbus. Good job overall!! MOM IMO

Agree wholeheartedly. To be honest, his distribution of the ball is so much better than Sutton's. Give Edwards a few years to make his mark and he'll be a damn good MLS keeper. Nevermind the Sutton comparisons, he reminds me much more of Onstad. Good positioning, great distribution and not afraid to jump in on dangerous crosses.

nimamalek
06-16-2008, 09:37 AM
he deserves the start over sutton? are you fking kidding me? same people who were calling for Sutton's head at the beginning of the year. I remember half the people on this board saying Sutton is horrible at 1on1s and that Sutton is a bad shot stopper until he shut them up during the LA game. He's made 1 mistake this year (DC 3rd goal) Edwards gave up 2 half asses goals in the Columbus game and he was way out of position on the Rapids goal. And edwards hasnt even been tested, Cummings shooting right at him 5 times doesnt mean he's a good shot stopper, it means Cummings is shit!

pat416
06-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Great Position to make the Saves look easy. Way to go Edwards!