PDA

View Full Version : Trade: TFC acquire Peterson from the Rapids

Nuvinho
01-21-2010, 11:44 AM
nice pickup

SoccerInsider (http://twitter.com/SoccerInsider)

Toronto FC acquires midfielder Jacob Peterson (two goals, two assists, 12 starts in 2009) from Colorado for allocation money.

H Bomb
01-21-2010, 11:46 AM
well okay then

billyfly
Here's a trade.

Mango Kid
He was the Rapids first pick in 2006.

Nuvinho
01-21-2010, 11:47 AM
did well last year before his injury

Nodoubtguy
01-21-2010, 11:48 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Peterson

Nuvinho
01-21-2010, 11:51 AM
So one of our Americans has to go, since he'll take up an American spot.

Nuvinho
01-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Mo comments:

http://www.mlsnet.com//news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100121&content_id=7947568&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Hitcho
01-21-2010, 11:56 AM
is he central or wide? please say wide...

Nuvinho
01-21-2010, 11:58 AM
He did play wide, but not a natural wide player (as some are saying).

Hitcho
01-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Hold on, TFC bio (follow mo's comment link above from nuvinho and click bio at the bottom) is saying he's a forward...

"He is a skillful and tricky forward that creates problems for opposing teams' defenses with his quick moves and natural ability, which he developed during his years with the NCAA Men's Soccer Champion Indiana University and the youth ranks of the U.S. Men's National Team."

So midfield or forward? If forward, then 2 goals in 23 appearances (12 starts) is not good at all, even for a rookie.

Sounds like he's neither a forward nor a natural winger nor an out and out central player (which we have too many of already anyway). He's young (and quick by the sounds of it) so can be moulded perhaps, but at this stage I'm wondering if we wouldn't be better served bringing in players who are natural wingers/forwards instead? Otherwise, he's another square peg in a round hole and that's not really what we need right now.

Not judging because way too early to even start thinking of that, just commenting...

billyfly
01-21-2010, 11:59 AM
In Preki We Trust

Nuvinho
01-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Hold on, TFC bio (follow mo's comment link above from nuvinho and click bio at the bottom) is saying he's a forward...

"He is a skillful and tricky forward that creates problems for opposing teams' defenses with his quick moves and natural ability, which he developed during his years with the NCAA Men's Soccer Champion Indiana University and the youth ranks of the U.S. Men's National Team."

So midfield or forward? If forward, then 2 goals in 23 appearances (12 starts) is not good at all, even for a rookie.

When I saw him play....he played out wide I remember. He didn't play up top with the rapids, since they had Cummings and Casey.

Fort York Redcoat
01-21-2010, 12:02 PM
attacking midfielder. Well I guess we need another one...as long as he plays wide it's cool.

Broadview
01-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Anyone have the cap hit?

I guess this is the 1st of Preki's hand picked players. I hope he's good!

Nuvinho
01-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Anyone have the cap hit?

I guess this is the 1st of Preki's hand picked players. I hope he's good!

$118,750 guaranteed, $100,000 base (cap hit?)

Hitcho
01-21-2010, 12:13 PM
When I saw him play....he played out wide I remember. He didn't play up top with the rapids, since they had Cummings and Casey.

Thoughts on his wide play based on what you saw?

Yeoman
01-21-2010, 12:15 PM
i know i've seen em play wide two years ago.
i was riding his ass all game. he was playing right wing.

Nuvinho
01-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Thoughts on his wide play based on what you saw?

sorry I suck at embedding links...

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1560

not really great goals tho..haha!!

SteeltownBhoy
01-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Why, oh, why another mid????!!!!! Seriously!!!

Mark in Ottawa
01-21-2010, 12:34 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/01/21/peterson_jacob_tfc/

Another midfielder?

Nuvinho
01-21-2010, 12:36 PM
^^ Guys, he plays the wing. We don't have wingers.

H Bomb
01-21-2010, 12:39 PM
we dont have that many good midfielders you know. 3-4 right now. thats still not enough to be a top level team.

Hitcho
01-21-2010, 12:40 PM

who cares? The first one makes him look damn fast, and what we really badly need is someone who can stick the ball into the back of the net from inside the area, which is exactly what he did for the second one. Just steer it home.

If he scores 10 ugly goals a season we'll love him for it. :scarf:

Yeoman
01-21-2010, 12:42 PM
from what i can remember
he had good reaction speed, and could turn on a sprint no problem at all.
hopefully my blurred memory from drinking is accurate.
he was playing against robertson that game.

zeelaw
01-21-2010, 12:43 PM
See how this goes.

ManUtd4ever
01-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Former 1st round pick, can play wide, and at his age he may have potential upside. At 100K, why not? Considering our lack of wingers it's still an upgrade...

ensco
01-21-2010, 12:46 PM
He's a second round pick.

He had a nice play in the home game we had here against the Rapids in September (at least I think it was him). You can see it at about the 25 second mark. Picks off a Brennan throw in, shows speed, almost converts the return

http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6602827

H Bomb
01-21-2010, 12:50 PM
who cares? The first one makes him look damn fast, and what we really badly need is someone who can stick the ball into the back of the net from inside the area, which is exactly what he did for the second one. Just steer it home.

If he scores 10 ugly goals a season we'll love him for it. :scarf:

ding ding ding

no such thing as an ugly goal.

billyfly
01-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Goals aren't girls. They can be ugly.

SteeltownBhoy
01-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Colorado fans say he has speed to burn but no soccer sense. Also that he has regressed over the last 2 years and may not be fully recovered from his knee injury.

Maybe a new start with a new team is a good thing. The knee stituation is troublesome, it was an ACL!!

jabbronies
01-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Goals are like sluts....you take 'em even if they are ugly because they are easy and all you can get,....<---that was fucked!

rocker
01-21-2010, 12:59 PM
If Preki wanted him, then the player must have something interesting to offer. I mean, to identify and single out a player like Peterson means Preki has detailed knowledge on what the guy can offer. It's an "under the radar" kind of move.

Strikers
01-21-2010, 01:02 PM
This looks like a good move, finally a winger.

SteeltownBhoy
01-21-2010, 01:05 PM
I bet he reports to camp on crutches with a knee brace.

ensco
01-21-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm no doctor, but OBW didn't look comfortable even 12 months after he tore his ACL.

I think the right thing is to assume that Peterson plays a limited role at best in 2010, and be tickled pink by anything more than that.

This is a long-term move, more like a draft pick, but with some different risks. The Rapids had a major investment in him, he has played a lot of minutes there.

billyfly
01-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Toronto, ON Canada - the land of ACL and Tommy John survivors.

SteeltownBhoy
01-21-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm no doctor, but OBW didn't look comfortable even 12 months after he tore his ACL.

I'd bet Peterson plays a limited role at best in 2010

This is a long-term move, more like a draft pick, but with some different risks. The Rapids had a major investment in him, he has played a lot of minutes there.

I totally agree. If he hurt his knee in Sept, then we are only talking 5-6 months post ACL. This has to be a longer term project.

Whats is more interesting is what American will be leaving to free up a roster spot??

ensco
01-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Whats is more interesting is what American will be leaving to free up a roster spot??

He makes 118K, so it doesn't need to be a bigger salary.

Given that Nana can play RB, I'd say Marvell is the likeliest to go. The other obvious move is to bring in a Canadian GK and move Edwards (which might explain the GK trial announced yesterday)

Strikers
01-21-2010, 01:18 PM

I'm guessing Edwards, there's all this talk about Goalkeepers on trial or getting invites. And I agree with one of the posts about wasting a US spot on our back up keeper. Bring back Monsalve.

Hitcho
01-21-2010, 01:20 PM

well, putting two and two together to make seven, I'd say with Said close to signing (apparently) that emans Serioux or Nana could play RB and Wynne could be traded. Preki is rumoured to build from a mean defence, and Wynne has speed and is good going forward but how many times have we complained of him being a positional nightmare?

I'm not convinced that Edwards will go. he's cheap and very serviceable back up keeper, who is still young and able to improve, plus he showed at the back end of last season that he has heart. if we trade him and bring in a worse keeper, and then someoneoffers decent cash to the league for frei or frei gets injured, we're stuffed.

JonO
01-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Garcia?

Strikers
01-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Garcia?

It would be great if it was Garcia, but I'm not to sure it will be him

Redpunkfiddle
01-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Am I missing something- can't we use international slots on Americans too?

rocker
01-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Am I missing something- can't we use international slots on Americans too?

yes we can.. that's my understanding.

There's non-domestics and domestics. MLS forced TFC to have a certain number of Americans as non-domestics, with the rest being international. So once you completly fill the allotment of Americans, more Americans can go in the international slots.

It's not like MLS would want to limit TFC's employment of Americans.

wzhxvy
01-21-2010, 02:18 PM
If Garcia is back next year it will be a complete an utter joke. He has no place on this team. The guy is done and we need to move on.

ensco
01-21-2010, 02:22 PM
The reality is, you never see unused international slots (maybe it has happened for a short period here and there, but I seriously doubt it's been a conscious strategy of any MLS team ever).

The day when MLS teams don't use all their international slots is still a ways off.

Wooster_TFC
01-21-2010, 02:52 PM
yes we can.. that's my understanding.

There's non-domestics and domestics. MLS forced TFC to have a certain number of Americans as non-domestics, with the rest being international. So once you completly fill the allotment of Americans, more Americans can go in the international slots.

It's not like MLS would want to limit TFC's employment of Americans.

MLS didn't force TFC to use a certain number of Americans. What actually happened was they bought into Mos argument that the Canadian talent pool was not deep enough for him to form a competitive team with the number of International (including US) spots allocated to him, so they gave him more International spots, but with the caveat that he use a certain number of his International spots on US players.

The reality is, you never see unused international slots (maybe it has happened for a short period here and there, but I seriously doubt it's been a conscious strategy of any MLS team ever).

The day when MLS teams don't use all their international slots is still a ways off.

TFC didn't use all their International spots the past two years running. I think part of the problem was that some of the spots were expiring at the end of the season, so there's no point in filling them up just to have to get rid of someone.

Lucky Strike
01-21-2010, 02:57 PM
I totally agree. If he hurt his knee in Sept, then we are only talking 5-6 months post ACL. This has to be a longer term project.

None actually. Guevara left and though he's Honduran, he had a green card and counted as US.

But the whole point is pretty moot since a few players left at the end of the season and we have plenty of international slots left. The trick to keeping track of those is that: Americans can be used to fill all 13 international slots, but conversely a maximum of 8 non-domestic, non-US players can fill the 13 slots.

TOBOR !
01-21-2010, 04:06 PM
"Will You STOP Sawing the Table?!"

I'm not sawing the table (continues to saw table).

Marco2K
01-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Just read all the respones over on the Big Socce rapids board and i dont feel very good. LOL

Most of them are saying they are very stunned that the rapids were actually able to get allocaation money for this guy. they say that things have not really panned out. Not a good thing.

good speed. Little soccer Sense. AND A BLOWN FUC KIN Knee.
That cant be good. and i think I read he makes over 100 000. Damn

I hope this guy will not be in the Starting 11. If he is we are in for another season over LOW SCORING GAMES FOR US!!

hodgkiss
01-21-2010, 04:10 PM
too late for monsalve. i suggested it years ago but he's in europe now doing well and they won't let him go at this point. we had the chance and he made it quite clear that he wanted to stay her but mo had different thoughts.

TFC07
01-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Just read all the respones over on the Big Socce rapids board and i dont feel very good. LOL

Most of them are saying they are very stunned that the rapids were actually able to get allocaation money for this guy. they say that things have not really panned out. Not a good thing.

good speed. Little soccer Sense. AND A BLOWN FUC KIN Knee.
That cant be good. and i think I read he makes over 100 000. Damn

I hope this guy will not be in the Starting 11. If he is we are in for another season over LOW SCORING GAMES FOR US!!

Blown knee? He's an injuried player who's only asset is speed? He's a winger and injuried version of Wynne? :facepalm:

TFC07
01-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Seriously, we should just as well try to sign Rohan Ricketts who probably take less than $100K to play for TFC instead of getting this guy from Rapids and wasting our allocation money on him.

TFC07
01-21-2010, 04:31 PM
too late for monsalve. i suggested it years ago but he's in europe now doing well and they won't let him go at this point. we had the chance and he made it quite clear that he wanted to stay her but mo had different thoughts.

It just shows how messed TFC management is...lol

ManUtd4ever
01-21-2010, 04:46 PM
The feedback from the Rapids message boards might not sound very promising but neither was the feedback from our message boards after Cunningham was traded to FC Dallas and look how that turned out...

Ossington Mental Youth
01-21-2010, 04:49 PM
whatever im not too worried, at this point, i know nothing about him and im not about to get all whipped out of shape because of some posters on big soccer, ill wait to see what Preki has instore for him, remember he made something out of nothing at Chivas

boban
01-21-2010, 04:50 PM
It just shows how messed TFC management is...lol

Seriously, we should just as well try to sign Rohan Ricketts who probably take less than $100K to play for TFC instead of getting this guy from Rapids and wasting our allocation money on him.

Blown knee? He's an injuried player who's only asset is speed? He's a winger and injuried version of Wynne? :facepalm:

:willy_nilly: They sky is falling, the sky is falling :willy_nilly:

Would you take this guy?

http://www.hns-cff.hr/?ln=en&w=a_reprezentacija&d=igraci&id=29

H Bomb
01-21-2010, 04:55 PM
The sky is falling?!? I was hoping to go out later. Calm down boys...just calm down. Y'all dont know nuffin about this player, neither do i. Maybe he'll be a steal at 100K, maybe he'll be a total bust....we dont know anything, at all...so why be pissed/sad/happy/any real emotion about it. It happened, now everyone will get on with their lives...react to results would ya.

jloome
01-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Yeah, Preki must be an idiot, tracking this guy for years so that he actually knows a little about him....and then signing him after learning about him.

What a fool.

I won't even bother facepalming the immediate paranoia. Not worth it.

Brooker
01-21-2010, 05:37 PM
In Preki We Trust

In Radosavljević We Trust!

maninb
01-21-2010, 05:44 PM
If Preki, who IMO knows this league inside & out, wants this guy then we should just wait and see. With his defensive deficiencies Wynne won't be someone Preki will like, but I know for a FACT that Wynne is wanted by SoCal teams like the Galaxy & Chivas...If we can trade him for a starter or a high draft choice the on ya go Mo...This lad certainly provides us with some depth, at the very least...

devioustrevor
01-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Jacob Peterson.

I always though he was a forward, but then again FM06 didn't always get positions right. That game has David Edgar as a Midfielder.

boban
01-21-2010, 06:11 PM
The sky is falling?!? I was hoping to go out later. Calm down boys...just calm down. Y'all dont know nuffin about this player, neither do i. Maybe he'll be a steal at 100K, maybe he'll be a total bust....we dont know anything, at all...so why be pissed/sad/happy/any real emotion about it. It happened, now everyone will get on with their lives...react to results would ya.
I was being sarcastic.

Marco2K
01-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Its not paranoia.

But why waster time and money on someone like this guy.

Are things really this bad??

So we are getting him so he can play in Oct 2010. Damn!!

ag futbol
01-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Well … The whole tag line of “great speed, no skills, and knee injury” doesn’t exactly exude confidence. Combine that with the fact the crapids board on Big Sawker collectively yawned when they heard this trade and I guess it says we shouldn’t expect much. A bench player, probably not a starter.

Depending on what happens with the CBA, 100k might not be too much for a backup. We’ll see how he works it out. As pointed out earlier in the press conference, you can’t have 11 guys who all want the ball… need a few grunts to make strong runs and open up space. Maybe this is where Peterson comes in.

MUFC_Niagara
01-21-2010, 07:41 PM
I'll reserve judgement until we see him in action and how Preki intends to use him. I think that is only fair.

boban
01-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Its not paranoia.

But why waster time and money on someone like this guy.
Would you 'waste' time and money on thi sguy?

http://www.hns-cff.hr/?ln=en&w=a_reprezentacija&d=igraci&id=29

Pookie
01-21-2010, 07:57 PM
So one of our Americans has to go, since he'll take up an American spot.

Edwards perhaps? Seems like a bit of a waste to use a US slot on a back up keeper.

Keegan
01-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Edwards perhaps? Seems like a bit of a waste to use a US slot on a back up keeper.

Or possibly Nick Garcia... then Ross Smith could take his spot and not a US slot

rocker
01-21-2010, 08:16 PM
this would, I presume, be the last year of the player's contract, no? Most deals are 4 year deals. He started in 2007.

TFC07
01-21-2010, 09:15 PM
:willy_nilly: They sky is falling, the sky is falling :willy_nilly:

Would you take this guy?

Great comparison! Let's compare a world class player who actually has soccer skills to a player with no soccer skills that relies on speed only with a banged up knee which is going to hurt his speed once he comes back. :rolleyes:

boban
01-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Great comparison! Let's compare a world class player who actually has soccer skills to a player with no soccer skills that relies on speed only with a banged up knee which is going to hurt his speed once he comes back. :rolleyes:
I knew i was wishing for a lot for you to see the similarities.

TFC07
01-21-2010, 09:25 PM
I knew i was wishing for a lot for you to see the similarities.

Eduardo injury didn't affect his game much because he has skills which you don't lose much unlike Peterson who's only asset is his speed. With a banged up knee now, don't execpt to Perterson to outrun defenders down the field.

dantdot
01-21-2010, 09:29 PM
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20100121&content_id=7952112&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

MLS article with some new quotes

boban
01-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Eduardo injury didn't affect his game much because he has skills which you don't lose much unlike Peterson who's only asset is his speed. With a banged up knee now, don't execpt to Perterson to outrun defenders down the field.
You know nothing how things affected Da Silva, so don't speak to them.
He suffered a more horrific injury then Peterson has. He also plays for one of the top club teams in the world in one of the best leagues in the world. He has come back to contribute in that aspect.
Surely Peterson can contribute something in a vastly weaker league.
Also, the Serb knows more about him then you will ever know.

TFC07
01-21-2010, 09:43 PM
You know nothing how things affect Da Silva, so don't speak to them.
He suffered a more horrific injury then Peterson has. He also plays for on of the top club teams in the world in one of the best leagues in the world.
He has come back to contribute in that aspect.
Surely Peterson can contribute something in a vastly weaker league.
Also, the Serb knows more about him then you will ever know.

Look at his time in Denver. nuff said.

boban
01-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Look at his time in Denver. nuff said.
Cunningham in Dallas. Nuff said.

TFC07
01-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Cunningham in Dallas. Nuff said.

Cunningham is proven player unlike Peterson. nuff said.

Blame TFC/Carver for Cunningham's time in Toronto.

Yagbod
01-21-2010, 10:30 PM
He may not play until midsummer, according to Dantdot's link above. Which is disheartening, because that means he will not be fully fit until he has had a full training camp under his 'belt', the next year.

Still, for the price I can wait until next year if he looks half decent in the 2nd half.

Plus, I like his attitude already:

"
"Unfortunately we haven't had too many highlights in Colorado," Peterson said. "It's been a rough three years missing the playoffs by a game or a couple points. I wish these guys the best of luck, but not when they're playing us in Toronto. I'd like to see the Rapids do something in the Western Conference. The fans probably deserve that after putting up with some mediocre teams.
"Hopefully with Toronto we can move forward and make the playoffs next year, and I'll have plenty of highlights in my career there.""

Good start.

TFCRegina
01-21-2010, 10:59 PM

Might be a great comparison indeed, but wishing for Ricketts back is like wishing for the Black Plague to eliminate our talented players, because Ricketts is TERRIBLE and LAZY.

James17930
01-22-2010, 12:20 AM

Are you kidding? The second one was pretty good.

Nuvinho
01-22-2010, 08:50 AM
alot of negativity here about this guy. I assume that MLSE did its due dilligence when it comes to his medical records on this.

We don't know how much allocation money we have (its not $600K as everyone mentioned here, that was just the salaries we lost when we let those guys go). I assume its the lower end of the allocation amount ($75K) we gave up.

Vitti ($288K) replaced by Peterson ($100K)

Another deal could be in place to move someone else for allocation money.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-22-2010, 09:54 AM
yeha i agree with Nuvinho regarding the med records, im certain that the coaches arent going to want to sign someone thats injured for a long period of time, especially if hes got no promise

Oldtimer
01-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Preki had a reputation at Chivas for obtaining under-rated, under the radar players who worked well in his system, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Mark in Ottawa
01-22-2010, 10:06 AM
So Jacob Petersen is our replacement for Pablo Vitti then?

Nuvinho
01-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Using the salaries from last year, subtracting the GA contracts and portion of the DP contract, we have:

20 players under contract, 16 Seniors and 4 developmental (did not include Joesph)

base amount spent so far: $2,283,474

* Don't forget that allocation money can be used to offset some of the salaries. So let's say that MO has $400K in alloction money, then we have an average of $125K per player remaining.
** This is based on the old CBA

Ossington Mental Youth
01-22-2010, 11:04 AM
So Jacob Petersen is our replacement for Pablo Vitti then?

but he plays wing/striker

Nuvinho
01-22-2010, 11:07 AM
in terms of roster spot, he replaces Vitti.....he could replace Amado.....Fellinga.....it doesn't matter now, since the team isn't set.

Marco2K
01-22-2010, 11:11 AM
He replaces Vitti? I doubt he is better then vitti?

CoachGT
01-22-2010, 11:45 AM
In Radosavljević We Trust!

In Preki we Pray

TFC07
01-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Might be a great comparison indeed, but wishing for Ricketts back is like wishing for the Black Plague to eliminate our talented players, because Ricketts is TERRIBLE and LAZY.

I would rather take lazy, but skilled soccer player over non-skilled and injuried soccer player especially given we lack talent in our roster right now.

brad
01-22-2010, 03:49 PM
I would rather take lazy, but skilled soccer player over non-skilled and injuried soccer player especially given we lack talent in our roster right now.

Like Laurent Robert?

TFC07
01-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Like Laurent Robert?

Sure why not. If we can get him $100K or less, then I don't see the problem of signing him. He will add quality depth to our team which we really need.

JonO
01-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Sure why not. If we can get him $100K or less, then I don't see the problem of signing him. He will add quality depth to our team which we really need.
According to one of the players, playing with Robert was like playing with 10 men on the pitch.... And you want someone like that because they have shown talent in the past?

TFC07
01-22-2010, 04:14 PM
According to one of the players, playing with Robert was like playing with 10 men on the pitch.... And you want someone like that because they have shown talent in the past?

Who said that? You can pretty much say the same with most of the players on this team.

JonO
01-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Not going to disclose my source. Personally, I would take a less talented player giving 100% effort over a talented player giving 0% effort every time....

jloome
01-22-2010, 07:10 PM

How the fuck would you know that's his only asset, exactly? Perhaps you can point to some of the games you've scouted, or some examples that you checked out where he didn't impress?

Or perhaps you're relying on hyperbole from another board, at a team where he just missed most of the season with a knee injury.

Jeez, people can be full of shit when they're trying to make a point sometimes.

Fushida
01-22-2010, 07:19 PM
How the fuck would you know that's his only asset, exactly? Perhaps you can point to some of the games you've scouted, or some examples that you checked out where he didn't impress?

Or perhaps you're relying on hyperbole from another board, at a team where he just missed most of the season with a knee injury.

^ +1

jazzy
01-22-2010, 07:41 PM
^ +1
+2..........anyway this is a minor move, inconsequential, I think we should extend a welcome to anyone wanting to play for us, and give them their chance, it's just not that signifigant PS I think Eduardo has slowed down slightly, he is not the threat I'm used to seeing

TFC07
01-22-2010, 07:54 PM

It's called a scouting report, my friend. Besides, Rapids just like Toronto is in need of winger as well...the fact they traded him for nothing speaks volume. :facepalm:

Oldtimer
01-22-2010, 09:52 PM
It's called a scouting report, my friend. Besides, Rapids just like Toronto is in need of winger as well...the fact they traded him for nothing speaks volume. :facepalm:

DeRo was traded for comparatively little for an MLS Cup mvp. Maybe it means that "Trader Mo" has struck again, instead of thinking that we got a raw deal.

"To be totally honest," maybe you didn't think much of TFC under Cummins, but you don't need to assume that Preki is a total dolt. Honestly. :facepalm:

billyfly
01-22-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm not sawing the table (continues to saw table).

Thank you! 'Bout time someone responded.

TFC07
01-22-2010, 11:18 PM
DeRo was traded for comparatively little for an MLS Cup mvp. Maybe it means that "Trader Mo" has struck again, instead of thinking that we got a raw deal.

"To be totally honest," maybe you didn't think much of TFC under Cummins, but you don't need to assume that Preki is a total dolt. Honestly. :facepalm:

You know DeRo asked Houston to trade him to Toronto, right? You're comparing apples and oranges here. :facepalm:

Looking our current roster right now, what makes you think this team is good enough to make it to the playoffs? We lack creative players right now, we haven't found a player to replace Guevara. Also keep in mind that Peterson is going to miss first half of the season.

Nuvinho
01-23-2010, 12:12 AM
The rapids aren't looking for wingers, they were looking to move someone......they have Clark and Smith on the wings, that's why Peterson was playing more of a sub role.

TFC07
01-23-2010, 12:14 AM
The rapids aren't looking for wingers, they were looking to move someone......they have Clark and Smith on the wings, that's why Peterson was playing more of a sub role.

They needed more wingers according to their fans. I take their word over yours.

Brooker
01-23-2010, 01:24 AM
In Preki we Pray

well said. :drum:

TFCRegina
01-23-2010, 02:44 AM
He replaces Vitti? I doubt he is better then vitti?

Can't be worse. When x is greater than or equal to zero, we certainly can't do worse. Math bitch!

TFCRegina
01-23-2010, 02:45 AM

Then you and I would coach different teams.

TFCRegina
01-23-2010, 02:47 AM

+1 and what would Colorado know about the game anyway, the whole 12 fans who show up can't be as educated as Preki and Mo, who you know, played the fucking game.

TFCRegina
01-23-2010, 02:48 AM

Scouting report? So you made the trip to view all of his games and make the grand decision that he was unfit for play? Or did you just youtube the guy and decide to troll? If youtube videos counted as highlight reels, we'd win the bloody league every year on having nice (yet rare) goals.

TFCRegina
01-23-2010, 02:49 AM
They needed more wingers according to their fans. I take their word over yours.

Again, which of the twelve did you talk to?

TFCRegina
01-23-2010, 02:50 AM
You know DeRo asked Houston to trade him to Toronto, right? You're comparing apples and oranges here. :facepalm:

Looking our current roster right now, what makes you think this team is good enough to make it to the playoffs? We lack creative players right now, we haven't found a player to replace Guevara. Also keep in mind that Peterson is going to miss first half of the season.

You're right, we haven't found a lazy, yet talented hack to replace Amado Guevara, but if you have your way, you can use one of your highly skilled youtube scouting reports to find one for us.

Nuvinho
01-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Rapids MF: Dalby, Ballouchy, Larentowicz, O'Brien (back from loan), Smith, LaBrocca, Clark, and Mastroeni (now being moved back to CB).....he was the odd man out. When they brought in Smith, he was moved to the bench (and Cooke was released).

I am not saying that he the answer to our winger problems, but from the rapids games I have watched (4 to 5 games last year), his name came up alot, more so earlier in the season (both him and Clark were controlling the wings).

Marco2K
01-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Bottom Line Is Hurt. Busted Knee.

rocker
01-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Bottom Line Is Hurt. Busted Knee.

That's what surgery is for, which he had. His knee is no longer busted.

TFC07
01-23-2010, 12:35 PM
+1 and what would Colorado know about the game anyway, the whole 12 fans who show up can't be as educated as Preki and Mo, who you know, played the fucking game.

Mo?! If he knew a thing or two, there wouldn't be a huge turnover of the roster. It has been 3 seasons now, Mo still can't find a decent CB and strikers. Instead, he bought in bunch of players who can only play middle of the field. Now I am betting JDG is going to be our attacking mid to justify his DP signing since you don't pay DP money on DM.

Five year plan FTW! :rolleyes:

Scouting report? So you made the trip to view all of his games and make the grand decision that he was unfit for play? Or did you just youtube the guy and decide to troll? If youtube videos counted as highlight reels, we'd win the bloody league every year on having nice (yet rare) goals.

It's called the internet and talking to people who have seen the kid play before.

BTW, I am sure their fans know more about their own team and players than us about their team and players.

rocker
01-23-2010, 12:39 PM
BTW, I am sure their fans know more about their own team and players than us about their team and players.

I agree, but remember Colorado didn't have Preki as a coach.

how many times have we seen players leave TFC and go on to success?

We ragged on almost every one of those guys, so if you take the perspective on the boards as truth, then all those guys were shit. But then you see Dallas fans praising Cunningham now. haha.

So in a different system, players can play differently.

The fact that Preki singled out this basically no-name player means more to me than the comments of fans. They only know the player in the context of the Colorado system. And Colorado has been shit for years.

jloome
01-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Rapids MF: Dalby, Ballouchy, Larentowicz, O'Brien (back from loan), Smith, LaBrocca, Clark, and Mastroeni (now being moved back to CB).....he was the odd man out. When they brought in Smith, he was moved to the bench (and Cooke was released).

I am not saying that he the answer to our winger problems, but from the rapids games I have watched (4 to 5 games last year), his name came up alot, more so earlier in the season (both him and Clark were controlling the wings).

Shit, they released Terry Clarke, and if money wasn't the issue I'd suggest we should've signed him.

Oldtimer
01-23-2010, 01:18 PM

Preki said our current squad isn't good enough. So the question is, why are you assuming that Preki is crap? :facepalm: It's Preki who selected this player.

Keyman
01-23-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm excited to see how he does in preseason!
I've seen the guy play but he wasn't a focus or anything, so I, like most of you, have no idea what he brings to the pitch. Hopefully he can play out wide.

ag futbol
01-23-2010, 02:23 PM
I agree, but remember Colorado didn't have Preki as a coach.

how many times have we seen players leave TFC and go on to success?

Yeah BUT ... a lot of these guys had a track record of something good before they got here. This guy is basically starting from scratch and has never really established himself at the MLS level.

If this is an attempt to round out the roster and pick up a squad player, it works. But if this is supposed to be a starter, well that's a complete joke.

jloome
01-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Actually, his hustle reminded me of Hunter Freeman. If he can stay healthy, I don't see why a fast winger who can cross (as in, the ball he put in against us in the last Columbus game, which led to a goal) shouldn't start.

Derko
01-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Did Peterson take corners for Colorado? Lord knows we need someone to take corners, when Guevara was not available, we had shit for corners, I mean DeRo is great but sucks at taking corners, I wonder if Peterson will take free kicks as well, If he starts that is?

TFCRegina
01-23-2010, 03:38 PM
It's called the internet and talking to people who have seen the kid play before.

Ah, so you just made up that scouting report bit. Excellent work. When you're losing the argument, make shit up, but when you're called on it, deflect the point and say that you've 'talked to people who've seen the kid play' as well as read things on the internet.

We know that everything on the internet is true, and that people who've seen the kid play is an appeal to a 'higher' power, so your point is completely validated in everybody's mind. Excellent work, you've officially succeeded in failing at defending your absolutely ridiculous claims.

Have a nice day.:scarf:

Fushida
01-23-2010, 03:59 PM

LOL :facepalm:

rocker
01-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah BUT ... a lot of these guys had a track record of something good before they got here. This guy is basically starting from scratch and has never really established himself at the MLS level.

Someone's track record is irrelevant to the point that we shouldn't base our judgments completely on the opinions of fans on message boards.

Nobody on the TFC board gave any credit to Cunningham's track record. or Buddle's... or Marshall's (for the segment who thought he was a pylon).

Colorado has been a weak team. Maybe this guy performed about as well as could be expected given the circumstances. In the same way that TFC fans have roasted players on this board who go on to success at other teams -- it's context not an inherent problem with the player himself.

At least Cunningham and the rest have had a chance to prove themselves again -- this guy's been stuck on weak teams with a revolving door of coaches.

I'm sure TFC fans can relate to this idea.

I don't know if he's any good or not. But I trust Preki knows.

ag futbol
01-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Someone's track record is irrelevant to the point that we shouldn't base our judgments completely on the opinions of fans on message boards.
Previous history in Colorado suggests he is not a starter, that's got nothing to do with message boards.

Fushida
01-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Previous history in Colorado suggests he is not a starter, that's got nothing to do with message boards.

Except he started almost every game before getting injured last season. Whoops.

ag futbol
01-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Except he started almost every game before getting injured last season. Whoops.
Well my ability to read might not be fantastic, but it would seem if you viewed his stats / history on mlsnet, roughly half his games in 2007, 2008, and 2009 were as a substitute. Never participated in more than 25 games in a season. Career high of 12 starts in a season.

Rapids have played Cooke, Clark, and LaBrocca first when not injured. If he was starting consistently prior to getting hurt, it's because the guys ahead of him went down.

ensco
01-23-2010, 11:55 PM

Nobody on the TFC board gave any credit to Cunningham's track record. or Buddle's... or Marshall's (for the segment who thought he was a pylon).

Colorado has been a weak team. Maybe this guy performed about as well as could be expected given the circumstances. In the same way that TFC fans have roasted players on this board who go on to success at other teams -- it's context not an inherent problem with the player himself.

At least Cunningham and the rest have had a chance to prove themselves again -- this guy's been stuck on weak teams with a revolving door of coaches.

I'm sure TFC fans can relate to this idea.

I don't know if he's any good or not. But I trust Preki knows.

I'm not buying what you're selling. I don't think this captures the Carver/Cunningham era at all.

Everyone on this board was over the moon about Cunningham coming in, he was the third or fourth highest scorer in MLS history and one year removed from leading MLS in scoring. When Cunningham didn't produce, 90% of the people on here blamed Cunningham, even though in hindsight it is patently obvious that Carver had no clue how to Cunningham, as he was mostly used in a ludicrous lone striker role, and further Carver gave significant minutes to Collin Samuel ahead of a player who may well start against England in South Africa. Even now lots of people here love Carver and think Cunningham just tanked or just hated us (or some other such nonsense) .

I have no opinion on Peterson at all, I don't think it's a major move, but I'll tell you what, "In Preki We Trust", man, that is a recipe for Carver Mark II. No way TFC fans should make that mistake again. Preki should have to earn our trust, not just be given it.

Derko
01-24-2010, 07:59 PM
This thread has become a bitch session, hasn't it!!

rocker
01-24-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm not buying what you're selling. I don't think this captures the Carver/Cunningham era at all.

I never made a point about the Carver/Cunningham era.

Again, I'll repeat my point:

if you were a Dallas fan reading our board then you'd have thought Cunningham was an awful move by the Dallas management when the move was made, based on the resounding hate from supporters. Thus don't trust the boards because players can play differently in different circumstances.

Pigfynn
01-28-2010, 08:56 AM
I was watching the TFC vs Rapids match last night, the one we won at BMO this past September. Peterson played and played very well. It was neat to watch knowing he's a TFC player now. He looked quick and his crosses were very good, better than most anything we've seen in 3yrs.

I'm alot more excited than I was when I first heard this.

Shaughno
01-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Yes Jon, see those taped games always come in handy LOL