View Full Version : another keeper to try out with TFC

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2010, 03:30 PM
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/sports/Default.aspx?cid=78249

i guess Frei is almost definitely on the trading block

flatpicker
01-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Direct from Thunder Bay!
That is one of the world's most untapped footy markets.
- I joke...

I got a lotta love for TB... good luck to Patterson.

Nuvinho
01-20-2010, 03:48 PM
its in the news section as well.

T.Reis
01-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Again guys, it's normal to invite a few extra keepers to camp to eat up some exhibition playing time whe the team might have two games in one day, and also to give the guys some keepers to shoot at in training while the regualr keepers are away doing their own work

I wouldn't look to much into it regarding Frei

polak9pete
01-20-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't understand why TFC would trade away Frei he came in as a rookie and performed very well and he's still under generation adidas so his salary doesn't count. TFC is actually pretty strong at keeper since both Frei and Edwards are pretty solid goalies. So unless TFC is gonna get like a major striker like Thierry Henry or somethin there's no way theyre gonna trade Frei.

DOMIN8R
01-20-2010, 08:56 PM
There may other reasons to have a look.....
There may be something in the new CBA that justifies having another back up.
It might be prudent to show some respect to clubs who recommend a player for consideration especially one recommended from an affiliate - which we have in TBay.

seankeay
01-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Having 3 keepers should be proper, and to have at least 1 serviceable canadian keeper in the 3 would be nice.

ag futbol
01-20-2010, 11:02 PM
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/sports/Default.aspx?cid=78249

i guess Frei is almost definitely on the trading block
I wouldn't be too sure. I think it's more along the level of: why use an american slot on your backup keeper?

Cashcleaner
01-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Having 3 keepers should be proper, and to have at least 1 serviceable canadian keeper in the 3 would be nice.

Agreed completely with the Voice of Reason. I doubt Frei is going anywhere.

J .
01-21-2010, 12:23 AM
why did we let monsalve go? Maybe this kid will help. Keeper wasnt a weak position but depth is good.

Id rather they trade Edwards :P

Rudi
01-21-2010, 12:32 AM
Monsalve was never "ours". He was a pool keeper with MLS, based in Toronto.

J .
01-21-2010, 01:08 AM
ahh, fair enough, too bad he wasnt, seems hes getting a CMNT shot. Maybe the Canadian keeper position is tenuous....

Ossington Mental Youth
01-21-2010, 01:34 AM
im not saying i agree but the reasoning behind trading Frei is that hes still got an adidas contract, has talent and will prob bring profit when hes sold off as a result you could prob bring in a couple of decent vets

Cashcleaner
01-21-2010, 02:10 AM
^ Yes, but we would fetch a lot more from him if he plays a good consistent season in 2010. Right now, he's coming out of his rookie season in MLS and is still unproven in many respects. The increased risk means a drop in asking price. If he establishes himself this time around, we'll have something more to work with as sellers.

DOMIN8R
01-21-2010, 07:01 AM
I don't think those who know how the professional game is played around the world would argue against 3 keepers. Its the MLS roster size limits that makes having 3 keepers nonsensicle.

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-21-2010, 07:13 AM
I don't think those who know how the professional game is played around the world would argue against 3 keepers. Its the MLS roster size limits that makes having 3 keepers nonsensicle.
Yeah, I agree. Keeper injuries do happen, and the competition between 3 keepers should make them all play better to keep/earn their starting role.

Pookie
01-21-2010, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't be too sure. I think it's more along the level of: why use an american slot on your backup keeper?

My thoughts exactly.

scooter
01-21-2010, 08:06 AM
its also part of tfc's commitment to develop canadian talent

seankeay
01-21-2010, 09:06 AM

If we ever had a full roster, id agree with you... but its not like he we have EVER had close to a full roster last year. 3 keepers is more then fine.

Mark in Ottawa
01-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Is it possible that MLS/TFC have received from expressions of interest in Frei from teams in other leagues??

TFC may just be working up a list of emergency backups should an "irresistible offer" be made.

Keegan
01-21-2010, 10:32 AM
I like this Patterson I remember watching him in the PDL final on FSC versus Laredo and Felix Garcia he played an absolutely INSANE game and Thunder Bay won on penalties. I remember after that game many calling for TFC to give him a shot, glad its finally happening

edit: I wish TFC kept Monsalve, hes really growing in Europe apparently. His clubs keeper went down and he came in and won the Finnish Cup with them.

DOMIN8R
01-21-2010, 08:26 PM
If we ever had a full roster, id agree with you... but its not like he we have EVER had close to a full roster last year. 3 keepers is more then fine.

Good point.

Blizzard
01-21-2010, 08:46 PM
I like this Patterson I remember watching him in the PDL final on FSC versus Laredo and Felix Garcia he played an absolutely INSANE game and Thunder Bay won on penalties. I remember after that game many calling for TFC to give him a shot, glad its finally happening

edit: I wish TFC kept Monsalve, hes really growing in Europe apparently. His clubs keeper went down and he came in and won the Finnish Cup with them.

I heard from a good source that Monsalve was offered some sort of a deal to join TFC last pre-season but he turned it down. It's all for the best though. He's getting playing time. Here, he'd be backing up Frei and seeing virtually no action.