PDA

View Full Version : Van den Berg and Ronnie O'Brien available...

jloome
01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
...and we have no wingers. Dallas is trying to move vandenberg, who is a great wide player but must be slowed by age, 32, and his injury history.

O'Brien hasn't really played in a year, since refusing San Jose's last deal, but is only 31 still and said before he left here that the turf and his knees were his only big concerns.

If the money's right (under 200K, obviously), are either worth taking a chance on?

How much worse could they make our wide play (which, tactically, we need if we're ever going to spread a defense open)?

Nuvinho
01-20-2010, 12:35 PM
ROB I always liked. Since we have grass now, he may consider it. But didn't others mention on here that he didn't like Toronto?

Whoop
01-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Didn't Van den Bergh request a move to Dallas because of his wife?

jloome
01-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Didn't Van den Bergh request a move to Dallas because of his wife?

Yep. Don't know what happened there, but apparently he's talking about going back to New York right now.

But if location isn't hampered by family or other significant ties (ok, he might love the place frm having played there, but that's not ironclad) I can't see why a cosmopolitan dude like Vandenberg would reject TO.

On O'Brien, there was one report that his wife didn't like it here. So maybe her insistence on California is why he's still not playing, but you can't see that lasting.

Whoop
01-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Just seems like a kick in the teeth asking to move to Dallas and now being shopped around.

prizby
01-20-2010, 12:41 PM
do we have roster space ...

stretchthetruth
01-20-2010, 12:47 PM
i'd like to have ronnie o on the wing again, but i just dont want to feel like the sad little girl that lets her asshole bf come back after she gets a sweet new haircut and some tight shirts...

nobodybeatsthewiz
01-20-2010, 12:49 PM
didnt you get the memo, ronnie's name has since changed to benedict o'brien.

Marco2K
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
I would love to have Ronnie Obrian back

I remember last year at this time all YOU RICKKET LOVERS were saying he was the answer!

Damn some of you fall in love with SHIT SOCCER PLAYERS!!

TFC_Junky
01-20-2010, 01:03 PM
I'd be able to break out my season 1 O'Brien jersey again!!!! Would LOVE to see him back in TO.

Nuvinho
01-20-2010, 01:05 PM
do we have roster space ...

We need more players to fill out our roster. We have all the american spots covered, but have space on the international side.

jabbronies
01-20-2010, 01:09 PM
i was a ROB supporter when he was here.

But the fact remains, he has a history with a bad injury.
Does anyone know his current health situation? How's the knee?

Carts
01-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I would welcome Ronnie O'Brien back...!!!

If we didn't have roster space, I'd make space...

The money we saved on Vitti alone should've opened up enough cap space...

Carts...

TFC_Junky
01-20-2010, 01:12 PM

After a full year off from SJ it should be nicely healed!!

Nuvinho
01-20-2010, 01:16 PM
He played 28 games for San Jose back in 2008, health issues could be somewhat behind him.

MartinUtd
01-20-2010, 01:24 PM

Its not like MLS contracts are carved in stone, quite the opposite. We wouldn't even need to add a contract stipulation stating you need to play X number of games.

Speaking of wingers.. would anyone take a chance on Ricketts if he was available for $120k?

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2010, 01:32 PM
id rather see some young fresh faces, im sorta embittered on how ROB left us and id be a bit afraid that Van Den Bergh would cost us a pretty penny at a late age

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Now that we have grass - getting ROB back would be great.

ManUtd4ever
01-20-2010, 04:40 PM
I would have no problem with giving ROB another shot. When he was healthy he was very effective with our first year squad and would have a superior supporting cast this time around. A potentially solid replacement for Guevara...

rocker
01-20-2010, 05:07 PM
i wonder how Ronnie is after a whole year off... what the heck's he been doing anyways? sitting around the house?

Marco2K
01-20-2010, 05:16 PM
I.

Speaking of wingers.. would anyone take a chance on Ricketts if he was available for $120k?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
HE STINKS MAN!!

If Mo brought rickkets back i would snap

MartinUtd
01-20-2010, 05:24 PM
He certainly looked like he had given up and there's definitely an argument to be made that we don't want players like that. But at the same time maybe he could flourish with Preki, grass and a better midfield..? Maybe... no?

MUFC_Niagara
01-20-2010, 05:25 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
HE STINKS MAN!!

If Mo brought rickkets back i would snap

Marco, 0-2 on spelling RICKETTS name right. Your spelling stinks. :hump:

Marco2K
01-20-2010, 05:25 PM
No way. He played about 30 games for TFC and had 2 games. He sucks.

Where is he now?

I really think that if you cant make it in the MLS you really cant make it anywhere.

there is really no where to go but down.

I am really interested in seeing ronnie play again.

Him and Dero could really work well together.

Remember AMADO is gone to

Super
01-20-2010, 05:57 PM
I honestly don't think we'd be able to bring back ROB for less than $300k. Remember, his wife reportedly did not like it here - and if your wife is not happy, trust me, ROB won't be happy. Sounds to me like they've settled out there. If they were smart with their money it's possible they can semi-retire already anyway.

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Jerome Rothen's looking for a new club and, reportedly, willing to take a pay cut.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Jerome Rothen's looking for a new club and, reportedly, willing to take a pay cut.

this is something im a bit more comfortable with

Torcida
01-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Yes, then I can get back to making my person of the century (or was it millenium?) tifo....Also he's not a bad player (well at least better than any of the other wide players we've had)

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-20-2010, 06:15 PM
This is kind of an interesting thread, from the ROB angle. I've often wondered who will be the first player to have a second stint with TFC? I know Hemming technically left and came back (and left again), but I mean a more substantial stint than that.

Zeke_Jones
01-20-2010, 06:15 PM
If there is space I hope to god they dont bring back an old player or some aging nobody.

Buy a Ljungberg like seattle did and we will make the playoffs, keep buying Gerbas and Barrets and you might as well put a blue maple leaf on the jersey and forget playing after the end of the regular season.

And a new rule, once a player has left our team he is gone and dead to us.......except for Ricketts because hes cool enough to hang out in 112

ag futbol
01-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Ok both these guys are good players but the question that hits me is: do they match the rest of our team?

If we’re going to build of JDG as our central playmaker who can spray the ball around (and why wouldn’t we because otherwise it’s a complete waste of a DP spot) I want a guy who has speed up and down the line and is a superb at doing little one-two’s.

These guys would be great if we had a big f’n target or two in the box, they could swing the ball in non-stop. But as it stands, that really isn’t the way the rest of our team is built. Most of these players want the ball at their feet so I’d prefer a player or two who is going to fit into that philosophy.

I think we’d be wasting their best attributes if they came here.

jloome
01-20-2010, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't agree there, ag, both O'Brien and Vandenbergh are very good at playing inside, not just crossing in. In fact, O'Brien prefers to play like a wide forward, even though he's a winger, and was always cutting inside for us when he was here.

So it wouldn't necessarily not fit with what we've got. We have very little width of any sort right now, actually.

Roogsy
01-20-2010, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't agree there, ag, both O'Brien and Vandenbergh are very good at playing inside, not just crossing in. In fact, O'Brien prefers to play like a wide forward, even though he's a winger, and was always cutting inside for us when he was here.

So it wouldn't necessarily not fit with what we've got. We have very little width of any sort right now, actually.

At a cheap price, I'd say yes. I know knee injuries and I rarely see them come back 100% so I'd say a conditional yes to ROB so long as it was discounted and he doesn't pull the "trade me" card again. Once bitten twice shy.

But I always liked him...he has good soccer IQ and right now we have absolutely nobody that can cross and even though he is not the best crossers, he can do it better than anyone on TFC at the moment, and can definitely take corners (something Amado did all last year and sucked at).

Hitcho
01-20-2010, 11:04 PM
for my money, ROB was our most effective player in season one. when he played, we carried a genuine threat.

but it's always difficult to comapre two eras. would he be as good for us now? hard to say. and unless he'd be 1000% committed, not interested. we've had too many players turn up and sod off after becoming disinterested (if they were ever interested to begin with).

this is one of the reasons danny is loved so much - he was one million per cent behind this team from the first moment he pulled the jersey on.

Dirk Diggler
01-20-2010, 11:15 PM
If injuries haven't ravaged his level of play, I would love to have him back. At many points during our first season, it was apparent that he was by far the most talented guy on the roster. I don't care much for whatever causes led to his departure from Toronto even if he did ask to get traded. Amado screwed us pretty hard the first time we acquired him and he went back to Honduras but I was glad when he acquired him the second time because he was a very skilled player that definitely benefited us.

Toronto_Bhoy
01-21-2010, 01:32 AM
I have a friend in San Jose who is friendly with ROB. He won't be back.

Always There
01-21-2010, 04:32 AM
Fuck R.O.B.

Wasn't he the original TFC diva?

Fuck him.

Marco2K
01-21-2010, 10:37 AM
so what is ROB doing then?
Just hanging out?

Roogsy
01-21-2010, 10:43 AM
A lot of these guys wind up working with local soccer clubs or find work with high schools and universities as coaches or scouts. It doesn't pay as well but if his goal is to live in California because of his wife, it's probably worth it. Not to say I know what he's doing, but there are options to him other than professional athlete.

redtfcred
01-21-2010, 10:51 AM
He has Bobby Orr Knee's

http://www.youtube.com/user/ourtfc#p/a/u/1/OemBVS7gIs0

ensco
01-21-2010, 05:17 PM
I have a friend in San Jose who is friendly with ROB. He won't be back.

because...?

Zeke_Jones
01-21-2010, 08:12 PM
HE might add a little depth but I wouldnt want him to start for TFC.

Do WE not deserve better?

Derko
01-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Fuck R.O.B.

Wasn't he the original TFC diva?

Fuck him.

Actually I thought the original TFC Diva was Cuntingham, lol.
And I also thought ROB was our most effective player in year 1, but he will not be back, nor should he.

No need to be somewhat of a maladroit!!!

brad
01-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Another thing that sucks about the way this league is set up - I would love to be able to take back ROB on a pay as you play type contract (much like Micheal Owen is on).

As it stands, he's too much of a risk, but when fit, he is a very effective player.