PDA

View Full Version : KC Wizards new stadium approved.

SoccMan
01-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Kansas City Wizards are getting their own new soccer stadium, their local council voted in favour of a new stadium for the Wizards today, the new stadium will be ready by the 2012 season, construction to begin tomorrow. Good news for KC and the league.

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Kansas City Wizards are getting their own new soccer stadium, their local council voted in favour of a new stadium for the Wizards today, the new stadium will be ready by the 2012 season, construction to begin tomorrow. Good news for KC and the league.

Now I have no doubt the world will end in 2012. Seriously though, this must have made dozens and dozens of KC fans happy.

Raging Reggie
01-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Now I have no doubt the world will end in 2012. Seriously though, this must have made dozens and dozens of KC fans happy.

yes the entire fanbase of the KC wizardsleeves are going mental right now...

What is the stadium going to be 12,000 max?

nascarguy
01-19-2010, 10:27 PM
yes the entire fanbase of the KC wizardsleeves are going mental right now...

What is the stadium going to be 12,000 max?
:hump:

SoccMan
01-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Say what you want,however, I think that the only way you move forward as a team and a league is by playing in real soccer stadiums and by controling all revenues in your stadium. Moreover, just saw a picture of the design of the new KC stadium and it looks pretty nice I must say.

rocker
01-19-2010, 10:32 PM
I still can't believe they were called the "The Wiz" when they came into MLS. hahah.

Raging Reggie
01-19-2010, 10:34 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soundersfcblog/2010835259_congrats_to_kansas_city_and_th.html

hmm they draw an average of 10,377 and the capacity for the games played there is 10,385. I know i joked about 12,000 capacity but what is the new stadium going to fit??

http://web.mlsnet.com/images/2010/01/19/WpUxcRfz.jpg

sully
01-19-2010, 10:36 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics/story/1695029.html

looks like 18,000 capacity..

canadian_bhoy
01-19-2010, 10:36 PM
There have been lots of designs - but the new one looks the best so far.

Glad to see that the era of copying Toyota Park has now ended and the era of copying Red Bull Arena has begun! And that's a good thing!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ytBoRdQYZp0/S1Zu5dUEmKI/AAAAAAAADfs/TTzWPhB5Yvo/s1600/JanRevWizards300dpi.jpg

old designs:
http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/wizards-stadium.jpg

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_menu/past_future/pictures/future_stadiums/kansas_city_wizards.jpg

DavydMT
01-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Great news for KC, this can also be a perfect opportunity to improve the name by adding F.C. to it, Kansas City Wizards Football Club

Lets hope D.C is next.

ExiledRed
01-19-2010, 10:44 PM
The drawing looks pretty authentic, theres a game on and there are more people in the food court than in the stands.

Super
01-19-2010, 11:12 PM
The drawing looks pretty authentic, theres a game on and there are more people in the food court than in the stands.

Haha nice observation!

Juanito
01-19-2010, 11:22 PM

LOL!!!

TFCRegina
01-19-2010, 11:29 PM

Not as good as the back four training comment, but still damn good.

Strikers
01-19-2010, 11:49 PM
This good news for KC and MLS. Having their own SSS will have tremendous benefits to the league and club. Now if only DC United can get something done.

Canary Canuck
01-20-2010, 12:25 AM
That news piece above says it will be a $147 million dollar stadium. That is pricey in comparison to Rio Tinto, Dick's, Toyota Park, and the proposed Houston stadium. Safe to say from the price and different drawings that it will be a high quality stadium.

james
01-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Great news for KC, this can also be a perfect opportunity to improve the name by adding F.C. to it, Kansas City Wizards Football Club

Lets hope D.C is next.

only way to improve the name is by taking out the Wizards!

TFCRegina
01-20-2010, 01:55 AM
only way to improve the name is by taking out the Wizards!

I'm against them abandoning their tradition of rainbow coloured shirts and awkwardly stupid team names!

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-20-2010, 02:31 AM
There have been lots of designs - but the new one looks the best so far.

Glad to see that the era of copying Toyota Park has now ended and the era of copying Red Bull Arena has begun! And that's a good thing!

Agreed... Unfortunately, though, ours was built in the Toyota Park era.

Keystone FC
01-20-2010, 05:50 AM
FINALLY! This thing has been drawn out longer that DeRo joinning TFC. The thing I don't like about it is that the SSS will be in Kansas...not Kansas City...but Kansas.:O
I do think once they open the SSS the Wiz should do away wit hthe nickname Wizards and go with Blues....Kansas City Blues. It just sounds better and they would have a much bigger audience to market to as well. They could even have a Bluesfest after a match.

Dub Narcotic
01-20-2010, 11:17 AM
In all seriousness, a name and image relaunch to coincide with the new stadium would work from a PR perspective.

tfcmanu
01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soundersfcblog/2010835259_congrats_to_kansas_city_and_th.html

QUOTE "The Wizards stadium would also play host to concerts, international soccer matches, American football games, rugby matches, lacrosse games, field hockey events and more."

Does this mean there will be a plastic pitch :picard:

Redcoe15
01-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Lets hope D.C is next.
It really is sad that a team spinning its wheels in the ground, like Kansas City, can get a new stadium built while a team with a strong background and solid support, such as DC United, can't.

TFC07
01-20-2010, 03:20 PM

QUOTE "The Wizards stadium would also play host to concerts, international soccer matches, American football games, rugby matches, lacrosse games, field hockey events and more."

What do you except? Not all SSS in USA and Canada can make a profit just hosting soccer games alone. Even we got other events going on in BMO field.

Canary Canuck
01-20-2010, 03:23 PM

Crew stadium, pizza hut park, rio tinto, toyota park, and Home Depot Center ALL HOST GRIDIRON GAMES. It's mainly just high school championships but this is nothing new. The difference is that with control of the facility they can dictate when these games are allowed to be played. They also use a new chalk marking system that washes away when the grass is watered.

ag futbol
01-20-2010, 06:29 PM
^ yep it's true. In fact there have been some quiet rumors floating around that PHP has been such a disaster they might quietly consider selling to some local group (filling it with HS football and the like) while trying to find a location closer to dallas.

So by the location metric, this stadium = win.

Canary Canuck
01-20-2010, 06:51 PM
^ yep it's true. In fact there have been some quiet rumors floating around that PHP has been such a disaster they might quietly consider selling to some local group (filling it with HS football and the like) while trying to find a location closer to dallas.

I wouldn't mind that. Putting a stadium in Frisco was insanity. It's way too far from Dallas. It's like putting BMO Field in Newmarket.

Redpunkfiddle
01-20-2010, 08:26 PM

Lets hope D.C is next.

D.C. FC eh?

jimiv
01-20-2010, 08:54 PM
The Cauldron Club sounds cool, apparently this space will have large screens where the fans are able to gather and watch away games...

"Cauldron Club – Our vision for this is to create a club where the most passionate fans have a true home of your own. It operates as an exclusive club with its own entrance, dedicated indoor and outdoor club space complete with bars and food stands. It opens directly into the Cauldron seating. One of the highlights is a massive BBQ grill area. We plan to partner with a local grocery to offer ready-to-grill meats at the same cost you would pay if you bought in store and brought it with you. You will be able to “grill your own” or our master grillers (think Sam and Chad) will be happy to do it for you. Then of course there are the beverage options. Our Drop Kick Ale will be served from the cask as it was originally envisioned when we created it with the fine folks from the Weston Brewing Company. But other fine beers will be standard, Guinness comes to mind as a start, but it’s really up to you to let us know what you like to drink. For the connoisseurs we’re committed to have what you want, for the price conscious, again, we plan to price it comparable to the store -bought"

james
01-20-2010, 09:00 PM

So by the location metric, this stadium = win.

Ya Frisco is way out there in the country. They wont get more fans unless they move closer to the city, much better if they actually play in the city.

james
01-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Agreed... Unfortunately, though, ours was built in the Toyota Park era.

they might not be the best stadiums now, but stadiums like BMO or toyota park could renovate the stadiums and make 4 stands around the field and adding roofs making it look alot more like old English soccer stadiums.

james
01-20-2010, 09:08 PM
FINALLY! This thing has been drawn out longer that DeRo joinning TFC. The thing I don't like about it is that the SSS will be in Kansas...not Kansas City...but Kansas.:O
I do think once they open the SSS the Wiz should do away wit hthe nickname Wizards and go with Blues....Kansas City Blues. It just sounds better and they would have a much bigger audience to market to as well. They could even have a Bluesfest after a match.

Kansas City Blues.....i like it, so simple and sounds so much better. With the name Wizards they can only market to kids really.

flatpicker
01-20-2010, 09:32 PM
^ ain't that the truth.

If Toronto had been named anything like the Wizards, I would have had a really hard time accepting them as a legitimate club.

Macksam
01-23-2010, 10:31 PM
they might not be the best stadiums now, but stadiums like BMO or toyota park could renovate the stadiums and make 4 stands around the field and adding roofs making it look alot more like old English soccer stadiums.
I think we all would still prefer a German-designed stadium like RBP or Kansas City's new stadium.

Pookie
01-24-2010, 09:54 AM

Yeah... you gotta hate that

http://duotangoflies.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/beer-garden.jpg

:hide:

James17930
01-24-2010, 10:15 AM
^ But not anymore :)

rocker
01-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah... you gotta hate that

http://duotangoflies.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/beer-garden.jpg

:hide:

you conveniently forgot to show the 19000 people in the stands.

;)

james
01-24-2010, 11:14 PM
^ But not anymore :)

i think the beer garden is still gonna be there next year, even with the new North stand. I think the new stand is behind the beer garden and the front row of the new stands is 9 feet above ground so they can see over the beer garden and fans standing wont be in the way of the view for the fans in the stand.

CretanBull
01-24-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm happy for the fans in KC...they were super cool to us down there and they've had to suffer through watching games in a shitty baseball stadium. It's good for the league and good for KC.

jimiv
05-29-2010, 09:00 AM
KC has a great web cam view of their stadium being built, they seem to be working around the clock to get it built...

http://38.100.180.78/view/view.shtml?id=2404&imagepath=/mjpg/video.mjpg&size=0.5