PDA

View Full Version : Striker or central defender, which is the priority?

jloome
01-19-2010, 04:09 PM
I have to figure the team needs both a regular scorer and a central hardman. We have existing options to fill in if Mo can't get it done, but if he had to fill one role or the other, which do people feel is the biggest priority.

I've got a related column on the need for both on RedNation today, ( http://www.rednationonline.ca/Great_Soccer_Teams_are_Built_Around_Their_Spines_j an_19_10_column.shtml ) but I do wonder if it came down to getting one really good player with, say, $325,000 left under the cap, do we get the dominating centre half, or the goal-machine?

Thoughts!

Nuvinho
01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Centre half.

reasoning, we were ranked 9th out of 15th in goals for (middle of the pack), averaging 1.2 goals a game. However, our defence was horrible, ranked 4th from the bottom giving up 46 goals, only NYRB (47), Dallas (47), and San Jose (50) gave up more goals.

secondly, take into account that 2 of our strikers did not have a full or healthy season, both Gerba and White were not fit or active for the full season. We lost 10 goals (Guevara, Dichio, and Vitti), both White and Gerba should be able to make this up plus more combined.

Carts
01-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm going to say central back - and a real leader back there...

I'm being positive saying White will be improved as its a full season (hopefully healthy), Chad Barrett with a set role under the new coach, Gerba hopefully in better shape, and DeRo to add to our strikers as an attacking mid-fielder - we should (yes should is the key word) be able to produce...

I know we have some young defenders with great potential, but I think we need a general at the back to lead the troops...

Plus there's the fact that if we were able to defend in the last 15-minutes we would have easily made the playoffs...

Carts...

Hugh Jazz
01-19-2010, 04:24 PM
I'd put my money on a Centre back.

For the same reason as Nuvinho I'm not as concerned about our strikers.

At CB I think the only starter we have right now is Attakora. And if Preki has a 'build from the back' mentality then he's going to need a good CB to implement that.

T.Reis
01-19-2010, 04:34 PM
I say they get a CB, and I say it's in the next day or two, maybe an Egyptian let's say. tee hee

ManUtd4ever
01-19-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure that it is as clear a choice as it seems. I think Wynne, Serioux, Attakora, and Gomez could form a decent back line whereas Barrett, Gerba, and White are more of a question mark based on all of their performances last season. Our existing defenders stand to benefit tremendously under the tutelage of Preki because they have the raw skills and need to improve primarily in their positioning. A striker requires skills that are more of an innate instinct or quality if you will that can't necessarily be taught. I would prefer a bonafide striker...

Nuvinho
01-19-2010, 04:46 PM
I say they get a CB, and I say it's in the next day or two, maybe an Egyptian let's say. tee hee

I think you said it best.

flatpicker
01-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I used to wish for a decent striker, but now I would go with a good CB.
Limiting the goals against would have really helped Toronto in the standings last season.
A better back line might prevent all those heartbreaking late goals against.
Also, I think a good CB will help kick start plays from the back and help with offensive production.

Perhaps our goal production will increase if we have a healthy season and everyone knows there role on the club.
I just hope we get one or two of Barrett, White or Gerba to have a great season.
It sure would be nice to start seeing strikers score goals for once!

jloome
01-19-2010, 05:05 PM
I think you said it best.

Are you trying to hint that we're about to sign Ibrahim Said, because I'll be a very happy man if that's the case.

jloome
01-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Oh, hahah, very funny Nuvinho!

I gotta check the news threads more often....

boban
01-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Centre half.

reasoning, we were ranked 9th out of 15th in goals for (middle of the pack), averaging 1.2 goals a game. However, our defence was horrible, ranked 4th from the bottom giving up 46 goals, only NYRB (47), Dallas (47), and San Jose (50) gave up more goals.

secondly, take into account that 2 of our strikers did not have a full or healthy season, both Gerba and White were not fit or active for the full season. We lost 10 goals (Guevara, Dichio, and Vitti), both White and Gerba should be able to make this up plus more combined.
To play defense you need a team concept/buy in.
To score goals you need one star.

trane
01-19-2010, 05:19 PM
It depends who is available, however, unless it is a true goal machine, I would take a CB, I still think that Gerba and/or White, I have given up on Barrett, can score 10 plus in this league. As many had said if our defense had been a little better last year, we would have made the playoffs.

It is also a personal bias, defend first ,attack second. With JDG and De Ro we will be able to score more consistenly on the counter, a CB helps with this as well.

trane
01-19-2010, 05:21 PM
To play defense you need a team concept/buy in.
To score goals you need one star.

I agree with this, but we need a defensive leader to help implement that team concept, to have the other buy into the system.

boban
01-19-2010, 06:06 PM
I agree with this, but we need a defensive leader to help implement that team concept, to have the other buy into the system.
What we need before that is a coach. We never had a coach that implemented a system.
Preki seems to be that guy. In light of that, a striker is of paramount importance.

trane
01-19-2010, 06:11 PM
^ That is no an unfari assessment.

rocker
01-19-2010, 06:51 PM
defender.

I think goals are in Gerba and White.. White was a star at the college level (ok, it's college but still) and Gerba scores fine with Canada against decent international sides. But the defense is thin.

TFC scored more goals than Chivas last year... and New England... and the Mighty Beckhams.. all playoff teams. Heck, Shitcago with an EPL striker and one of the best Mexicans scored only 2 more goals than TFC did.

Pachuco
01-19-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm going to go with a CB. If there is one player I can't stand to see on this team any longer it's Garcia. If we don't bring in a CB, I'll have to keep looking at him. For me it comes down to Barrett is a better striker then Garcia is a defender. Yikes, can't believe I said that.

Redcoe15
01-19-2010, 08:13 PM
CB. No contest.

Detroit_TFC
01-19-2010, 09:03 PM
I vote CB. With DeRo and JDG we should have a good number of shots on goal, well toward the goal at least. A pure striker is still desperately needed but not near as much as a boss in the back.

ExiledRed
01-19-2010, 10:17 PM
You cant win if you dont score.

the solution to crap defence is to score more goals than your opponent can, and stay on the offensive.

the solution to crap offence is not to strengthen the back and hold on for a draw.

Just because a we coughed up goals in the dying minutes, doesnt mean that defence is a priority, that just means that we could never achieve a comfortable lead, and that's because we're crap at finishing.

Auzzy
01-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Centre half.

THESE stats DON'T lie! I would definitely concur, CB first. Anyway, "defence first" is Preki's motto, so we might as well do it right. True, we've got some guys like Attakora, Serioux, Gomez. But last season we had the most injuries by far in defense (NA, AS, MV...). We need a commanding CB -- AND we need depth. Most of Serioux's crappy games were when he was forced to play injured.

Other reason: it's very hard to get a guaranteed reliable striker at MLS salaries, especially since our DP spot is used up. In addition to Gerba & ObiWan, we've got Ibrahim, who looked good the few times we saw him at forward; this season he's no longer limited by draft & trade shenanigans. Plus Dero of course. Hopefully Mo can pick up one or two more OK strikers who are good for 5-6 goals a year plus depth, and we should be good.

The other part of conceding goals & late breakdowns, was lack of control in MF. We have a couple of decent midfielders now; add Preki's "system" and I think we're looking much better overall.

GuelphStorm2007
01-20-2010, 12:41 AM
TFC's main priorty is a very solid CB, If this Egyptian rummored to be coming here is True then goood on Mo. Also I would not mind seeing some of Yfc younger players like Ibriahm, Gala, getting more time.

J .
01-20-2010, 12:57 AM
Between the two, a central back. Cutting back on the goals will improve our + rating.

I personally believe our wide play costs us too much possession. Im fine with Serioux, Nana, Wynne and Brennan back there. However, I think Jimmy B is running out of gas and is better in a more forward role.

Super
01-20-2010, 02:59 AM
I think it's safe to say that we need to improve our defence as well as our offence. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how many goals you score if you give up more - so we need to bring in new players to strengthen our squad, period.

Keystone FC
01-20-2010, 05:44 AM
Centre Back!!!!!

Nuvinho
01-20-2010, 09:37 AM
I didn't want to start another thread, so gonna ask this question here. We know (like it or not), that Jimmy B is slotted in the LB for this year. Now, I don't rate Wynne that high as a RB and feel we have adequate replacements at that position (Nana and Serioux). If Said is one of the CBs, would you consider moving Nana or Serioux to RB? Then using Wynne as trade bait to fill up other needs on the club. I still wouldn't mind another CB bring brought in other than Said.

Nana-----------Serioux/Other CB--------Said-----------Jimmy B

maninb
01-20-2010, 09:56 AM
CB without a doubt...give Preki some time to work with our existing strikers...Also did Gomez or Sanyang ever play at LB? If they got comfortable with that position it would certainly be an upgrade...IMO Serioux is no longer good enough to start full-time..

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2010, 09:59 AM
I didn't want to start another thread, so gonna ask this question here. We know (like it or not), that Jimmy B is slotted in the LB for this year. Now, I don't rate Wynne that high as a RB and feel we have adequate replacements at that position (Nana and Serioux). If Said is one of the CBs, would you consider moving Nana or Serioux to RB? Then using Wynne as trade bait to fill up other needs on the club. I still wouldn't mind another CB bring brought in other than Said.

Nana-----------Serioux/Other CB--------Said-----------Jimmy B

i wouldnt be so certain about jimmy on lb being a certainty, theres been quotes of him saying that he knows that he will most likely be coming off the bench, however the release of fellinga makes one reevaluate that situation, i do kinda hope that he is coming off the bench tho

fetajr
01-20-2010, 10:20 AM
A Real Defender.

Release Jimmy B..if Garcia is still around, release him too!

billyfly
01-20-2010, 10:24 AM
BOF.

brad
01-20-2010, 10:26 AM
You cant win if you dont score.

the solution to crap defence is to score more goals than your opponent can, and stay on the offensive.

the solution to crap offence is not to strengthen the back and hold on for a draw.

Just because a we coughed up goals in the dying minutes, doesnt mean that defence is a priority, that just means that we could never achieve a comfortable lead, and that's because we're crap at finishing.

Thing is, we do score. If you look at the table last year we are right in the middle both in our conference and overall for goals scored. Taking Dallas out, the teams that outscored us only did it by a few goals. I do think we need to do better up front, but it's not that dire.

Regardless, the solution to this is not go into panic mode for the last 20-30 minutes every game and sustain wave after wave of attack.

I think a ball playing defender + JDG would be a very good start to stemming this.

maninb
01-20-2010, 11:11 AM
A Real Defender.

Release Jimmy B..if Garcia is still around, release him too!

No chance!!! Why would you release the guy who's been the heart and soul of the team for 3 years, not to mention the Captain....He will be invaluable helping the younger players coming through...IMO he shouldn't start but is a very versatile player to have coming off the bench...

boban
01-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I think it's safe to say that we need to improve our defence as well as our offence. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how many goals you score if you give up more - so we need to bring in new players to strengthen our squad, period.
Flip it around.
It doesn't matter how much you let in as long as you score more.

boban
01-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Thing is, we do score. If you look at the table last year we are right in the middle both in our conference and overall for goals scored. Taking Dallas out, the teams that outscored us only did it by a few goals. I do think we need to do better up front, but it's not that dire.
Yeah we scored an ok amount last year.
But dig into the stats a little and you will see it's not as rosy as it seems.
We had to work our asses off to get those goals.
I think we were by far and away the team with the most shots on net. And what about all the missed net shots??
We don't have a legit scoring threat on the team. If we had a clinical finisher the opposition would worry more about there own end.

Nuvinho
01-20-2010, 12:05 PM
I think we were by far and away the team with the most shots on net. And what about all the missed net shots??
We don't have a legit scoring threat on the team. If we had a clinical finisher the opposition would worry more about there own end.

I think we were up there in # of shots on net, over the bar, left side of the post, right side of the post, and off the post.

Section 117
01-20-2010, 12:16 PM
No chance!!! Why would you release the guy who's been the heart and soul of the team for 3 years, not to mention the Captain....He will be invaluable helping the younger players coming through...IMO he shouldn't start but is a very versatile player to have coming off the bench...

The only reason IMO he was named captain was he was the first signing and he is from here. That IMO does not justify being a captain. I know for a fact that there have been more vocal leaders in the dressing room then him since day 1.

Playing with injuries or having heart doesn't make up for his lack of necessary skills to be a decent LB. On any other MLS team there is little to no chance of him starting. He marking is just a bad as Wynne's. If you watch a lot goals that are scored he is just standing around doing squat and with his hands on his hip.

Bench player yes, reduced salary yes helping develop the kids on the squad there is no chance I would want that to happen.

Just my 2 cents

jloome
01-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Yeah we scored an ok amount last year.
But dig into the stats a little and you will see it's not as rosy as it seems.
We had to work our asses off to get those goals.

People here tend to think "team goals" are a good thing, like in hockey.

That's true to an extent, but the fact that our top scorer, far and away, was supposed to be a central midfielder says something. Plus, to do it, he had to take more shots than almost anyone else in the league, and his strike rate wasn't very good.

We need a good striker. Maybe OBW will break out this year, create chances and finish them. Maybe we have a good striker already. But from what I've seen so far, his intensity and focus aren't at that level yet, and his movement -- though a lot better than Gerba's -- isn't either. Both guys played last season off defenders' shoulders, which is fine when as long as it's not the only tactic you have.

If we wrap up Said and he doesn't implode eight games into the season from too much partying, our next move has to be to get an assassin upfront.

That's what I want to see: an Assassin. A guy who finishes as a well as Twellman, Razov, Angel etc.

Beach_Red
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
People here tend to think "team goals" are a good thing, like in hockey.

That's true to an extent, but the fact that our top scorer, far and away, was supposed to be a central midfielder says something. Plus, to do it, he had to take more shots than almost anyone else in the league, and his strike rate wasn't very good.

We need a good striker. Maybe OBW will break out this year, create chances and finish them. Maybe we have a good striker already. But from what I've seen so far, his intensity and focus aren't at that level yet, and his movement -- though a lot better than Gerba's -- isn't either. Both guys played last season off defenders' shoulders, which is fine when as long as it's not the only tactic you have.

If we wrap up Said and he doesn't implode eight games into the season from too much partying, our next move has to be to get an assassin upfront.

That's what I want to see: an Assassin. A guy who finishes as a well as Twellman, Razov, Angel etc.

Aren't you the guy who complained last season that the players on TFC were technically okay but together they didn't form a cohesive team? ;)

Until the salary cap gets raised and the roster restrictions open up and MLS starts getting a little more respect, we're always going to be scrambling for whatever we can get. Can teams in this league really set priorities and targets, or are the most successful teams in this leagues the most opportunistic, grabbing the best players that are willing to come here at whatever position and trying to make it work later?

It's like the endless NHL/NBA/NFL draft debate - do you draft the best player available or the best at the position you need the most?

boban
01-20-2010, 01:04 PM
It's like the endless NHL/NBA/NFL draft debate - do you draft the best player available or the best at the position you need the most?
Not really. We only need one position filled (speaking in MLS relative terms here). And that's a striker.
Our defensive issues were addressed with Preki.

Beach_Red
01-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Not really. We only need one position filled (speaking in MLS relative terms here). And that's a striker.

I was speaking more to the theory of it, not so much the particulars of this moment.

But even then, with the amount of guys who come in only to leave a short while later (Robert, Tebily) or just not work out (Ricketts, etc.,) can we ever say that our issues have been addressed?

jloome
01-20-2010, 06:30 PM

Have to disagree with this assessment that it's just on the coaching. Defenders have foibles, too, and I don't care how well coached a defensive unit is, if a player's got issues he has issues. I don't think Serioux will ever have the temperament or on-field ability to read the game to be a starter.

Plus, bad decisions are bad decisions. Your coach can be brilliant, but if the player keeps making the wrong choices, a system ain't gonna save him.

But if we do sign Said, it may well be that our priority is a finisher.

boban
01-20-2010, 10:08 PM
^^
Let me clarify.
If it comes to a choice of a CB OR a striker. I pick striker.
Preki will improve our defensive woes rendering our offense in need of some serious help.
I am not saying we can't improve our defense from a player personal point of view.
but faced with the choice to pick only one of the two it's striker hands down.

jloome
01-21-2010, 12:46 PM
^^
Let me clarify.
If it comes to a choice of a CB OR a striker. I pick striker.
Preki will improve our defensive woes rendering our offense in need of some serious help.
I am not saying we can't improve our defense from a player personal point of view.
but faced with the choice to pick only one of the two it's striker hands down.

OK, yeah, I can buy that argument.

If people considered how poor our shot-to-goals ratio was, they'd change the tune about us scoring enough. One assassin might've added 10-15 goals to that total and put us in the playoffs by a mile.

King Tut
01-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Ibrahim Said can effectively play defensive/central mid too. Don't be surprised if that's where Preki is thinking of using him.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-21-2010, 03:56 PM
whatll happen to Robbo, Cronin and the one young gambian?

ag futbol
01-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Ibrahim Said can effectively play defensive/central mid too. Don't be surprised if that's where Preki is thinking of using him.
How many DM's does one team need (with a 23 man roster ... that normally only carries 20 players).

Cronin, Robinson, Sanyang, plus guys who we won't be playing at CDM who are or have played the spot: Said, Serioux, and JDG.

Technorgasm
01-21-2010, 05:37 PM
apparently the answer is another midfielder. . .

Amado AND Robinson gone?

JDG, DERO, adn this new dude in stead?

Ossington Mental Youth
01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
nah this guyll play CB im feeling certain about that

King Tut
01-21-2010, 11:57 PM
How many DM's does one team need (with a 23 man roster ... that normally only carries 20 players).

Cronin, Robinson, Sanyang, plus guys who we won't be playing at CDM who are or have played the spot: Said, Serioux, and JDG.

I'm not saying we need him as a DM. I'm just saying that he's more than capable of playing that position and he played it for years with Al-Ahly and the Egyptian Youth NTs. I would not be surprised if Preki is checking him for midfield role, but with our defense last year, it would make more sense to use him in defense. Either way, It doesn't hurt having players who are fully capable of playing multiple positions at the highest levels.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-22-2010, 12:47 AM
that totally makes sense

Section 117
01-22-2010, 08:55 AM
apparently the answer is another midfielder. . .

Amado AND Robinson gone?

JDG, DERO, adn this new dude in stead?

Spoke to a couple of the lads yesterday and as of last right Robinson is still with the team and he is returning from Wales late next week.

Robo and JDG in the middle of the park is going to be dynomite.

We need defenders ASAP. Keep Nana and scrap the rest as there is no other players on the roster that should start IMO. Without a strong back three or four it doesn't matter how many goals we score we will let in more

brad
01-22-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm not saying we need him as a DM. I'm just saying that he's more than capable of playing that position and he played it for years with Al-Ahly and the Egyptian Youth NTs. I would not be surprised if Preki is checking him for midfield role, but with our defense last year, it would make more sense to use him in defense. Either way, It doesn't hurt having players who are fully capable of playing multiple positions at the highest levels.

I think people overlook how important it is with a small squad to have a player that can play in multiple positions naturally.

Section 117
01-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Disagree completely players should play in their natural postions not out of postion cause we lack players in certian areas.

best example is Serioux he puts himself in akward postions have to foul the oppostion becase being a CB is not his natural postion.

Jut my 2 cents

Nuvinho
01-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Spoke to a couple of the lads yesterday and as of last right Robinson is still with the team and he is returning from Wales late next week.

Robo and JDG in the middle of the park is going to be dynomite.

We need defenders ASAP. Keep Nana and scrap the rest as there is no other players on the roster that should start IMO. Without a strong back three or four it doesn't matter how many goals we score we will let in more

Do you think Nana is a better CB or RB? I would love for us to get 2 new experienced CBs, and move Nana to RB. Then have those 2 groom him into a CB. For some reason I don't know why I think Nana is better at RB than CB, maybe its because he was left exposed by the other CBs he played with last year.

koryo
01-22-2010, 09:04 AM
I love travelling back in time on a Friday.

Wait a minute... what? This isn't 2007?

WTF!

trane
01-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Do you think Nana is a better CB or RB? I would love for us to get 2 new experienced CBs, and move Nana to RB. Then have those 2 groom him into a CB. For some reason I don't know why I think Nana is better at RB than CB, maybe its because he was left exposed by the other CBs he played with last year.

Nana can play either. But right now he is our best defender, for my money, and he is physical so you keep him in the heart of the defence untill you get TWO cbs that are better, or at least as good as him. Untill then, which may be never considering the MLS tallent levels, you keep him at CB.

__wowza
01-22-2010, 10:34 AM
CB, the best offence is a good defence. look at the greeks euro 2004 run.

Section 117
01-22-2010, 10:42 AM

IMO Nana is a better RB then CB as his distribution of the ball is not the best.... postionally he is fine, tackling he is fine, speed is adequate. But one of the most improtant thing a CB has to to is distrbute the ball and his passing unfortunately leaves a lot to be desired

Preki needs to make the decision on where he thinks Nana will excel the most and stick with playing Nana there.

brad
01-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Disagree completely players should play in their natural postions not out of postion cause we lack players in certian areas.

I agree completely with not playing players out of there natural positions. However, some players have multiple natural positions.

best example is Serioux he puts himself in akward postions have to foul the oppostion becase being a CB is not his natural postion.

Jut my 2 cents

Serioux is not a natural CB though, he is a converted one.

However, what I was getting at was for covering injury/international absence/ect. Critical with a small squad were you can't have depth in all positions.

Section 117
01-22-2010, 11:38 AM
I agree completely with not playing players out of there natural positions. However, some players have multiple natural positions.

Serioux is not a natural CB though, he is a converted one.

However, what I was getting at was for covering injury/international absence/ect. Critical with a small squad were you can't have depth in all positions.

It is one thing to "cover" a position due to injury, circumstance and or international play. It is another to attempt to convert players just because we need a postion to fill. Serioux is a perfect example he is not a CB we converted him to that, hence why sometimes he makes horrible decisions

jloome
01-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Actually, Serioux played both defense and defensive midfielder througout his career. He was seen as stronger in defensive midfield and at right back than at centre half by Houston, so perhaps it's his weakest position. But he's not new at it.

Similarly, Said hasn't really been used as a midfielder since he was younger. He's good at both, but he hasn't played as a defensive midfielder since early days.

trane
01-22-2010, 08:09 PM
^ Serioux was preplexing in that he would have games in which he would seem to be a natural fit at CB, and then he would look like he never played there before.

jloome
01-23-2010, 12:48 PM
^ Serioux was preplexing in that he would have games in which he would seem to be a natural fit at CB, and then he would look like he never played there before.

He seems to read the game fairly well but he makes some really boneheaded challenges, low-percentage manoeuvres.

Torcida
01-23-2010, 12:59 PM
I'll take a good CB over a good striker any day. It also helps when you realize that the market value for CB's is lower and the fact that a good CB would instantly give your team one of the better defence's in MLS. To help define my term of "good" I'll just say that there are very few in MLS.

trane
01-23-2010, 02:40 PM
^ Hahahaha.

jloome, "low-precentage manoevres", is right.

Pookie
01-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Serioux makes a mistake now and then but when you talk about a player throwing his body into his work, there is none better. The way he picked himself off that plastic concrete time and time again was admirable.

Voodooman
01-23-2010, 03:42 PM
I say Central Back also, because Frei is a solid keeper, and he needs a consistent defence in front of him. We could be the lowest scoring team and still win games, as long as our defence is solid.

trane
01-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Pookie,

But the one thing that you cannot do as a CB is make the BIG mistake. You are often the last defender. I like him at CB personaly, but he makes the BIG mistage to often, to be THE answer at CB. Nana for me is a very good MLS CB, only to get better, he is to be moved to RB, only if we get two CBs better then him. This being the MLS I do not expect it to happen.

Pookie
01-23-2010, 03:51 PM
I think that THE answer to CB problems are guys playing in leagues other than the MLS.

You get what you get here.

It's funny, when you mentioned the "BIG" mistake, I thought of Guevara playing the ball back to no one that set up a clear break away. I've seen Serioux not marking properly but he wasn't the only guy out there doing that. I guess the point is that many late game mis-cues were a function of a lot of guys not doing their jobs.

I agree that you want a rock back there but if you have a rock, that rock is likely to be picked up by higher spending, higher profile teams who collect those rocks.

That said, I like Nana too.

jcplante
01-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Jorge Andrade is rumoured to be coming to TFC (according to Gerry Dobson), this would solve the CB issue.

Nuvinho
01-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Jorge Andrade is rumoured to be coming to TFC (according to Gerry Dobson), this would solve the CB issue.

not to pick on you....but was there a link for this? or was it on soccer central?

MTomas
01-24-2010, 05:36 PM
This is the type of central defender we need. A former captain of a national team, a solid defender in his prime, a captain of the defense.

His experience would be priceless to this young defense, i hope that he would be able to adjust to MLS.

My worries are his salary expectations, and his wonky knee.

Rumor coming from Gerry Dobson - twitter
"I don't like rumors but this one sounds solid. jorge Andrade from Portugal on trial with TFC this year. Stay tuned - Dobson"

Nuvinho
01-24-2010, 05:41 PM
so if all the rumours are true......we have Said and Andrade on trial. Hopefully one or both of them pan out.

I think he'll ask for about $250k to $300K? Based on his age, his injury, and the fact that Swansea (as per wiki) is his other option.

MTomas
01-24-2010, 05:43 PM
I'd take Andrade with a wonky knee over Garcia any day of the year