PDA

View Full Version : full season schedule?

TFC Cityboy
01-17-2010, 11:42 AM
anyone know when the FULL schedule comes out? I seem to recall late Jan in previous years-Hoping Chicago (a) falls in school summer holidays -roadtrip!
Cheers

sulfur
01-17-2010, 12:13 PM
The last two seasons the full thing came out in the last week of January. Often the first 2-3 weeks are out the week before (so, this coming week). They never give it a "hard" scheduled date for some silly reason.

ensco
01-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Be interesting to see what they do. They'll have to think carefully about this.

If they put it out before the contract dispute is resolved, it's a clear signal that they intend to use scabs.

TFC Cityboy
01-17-2010, 12:16 PM
cheers- that's what I thought/hoped. Yeah there are always chnages for TV rights/ stadium availability issues, but at least that helps us plan spring/summer around the matches. Hoping to travel to Chicago and Seattle this season plus NE.

MartinUtd
01-17-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm also curious about the NCC schedule this year.

Also, what happens if the MLS season doesn't happen? Would we be in the same situation that Montreal and Vancouver faced before the NASL thing got sorted out?

akoto
01-17-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm also curious about the NCC schedule this year.

Also, what happens if the MLS season doesn't happen? Would we be in the same situation that Montreal and Vancouver faced before the NASL thing got sorted out?

Seeing as we wouldn't have any players it would be very hard for TFC to field a team. I also highly doubt they would hire scabs solely for this tourny. Maybe the U-18 team gets a chance?

Carts
01-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Be interesting to see what they do. They'll have to think carefully about this.

If they put it out before the contract dispute is resolved, it's a clear signal that they intend to use scabs.

Not true at all...

The NHL had their schedule released the year of the lockout... Same as MLB etc...

The league must continue to act "business as usual" even with the looming labour issues...

Everything from stadium availablity, to hotel availabilty, to travel arrangements goes on as normal - it doesn't mean or show any intent of using replacement players...

Its common practice in any North American league who have unionized players when labour problems are happening...

If there's a stoppage, and a reduced schedule is used, its released shortly after the deal is done, as its been worked on the entire time behind the scenes...

Carts...

ensco
01-17-2010, 04:28 PM
^Who cares about North American sports precedent. It's totally irrelevant. Players in those leagues didn't have realistic options if they were locked out.

Many, many MLS players can just go get jobs in other leagues. Which they'll do if the league tries to do what the NHL, MLB etc did.

Which is why MLS league office have to be a lot more careful about the "business as usual" tough guy stuff.

JonO
01-17-2010, 04:45 PM
^Who cares about North American sports precedent. It's totally irrelevant. Players in those leagues didn't have realistic options if they were locked out.

Many, many MLS players can just go get jobs in other leagues. Which they'll do if the league tries to do what the NHL, MLB etc did.

Which is why MLS league office have to be a lot more careful about the "business as usual" tough guy stuff.
None of that has to do with the release of the schedule, though - which is what he was talking about. I agree - release of the schedule probably has little to do with the contract negotiations...

Carts
01-17-2010, 11:30 PM

Whoah ensco I think you're not understanding what I'm saying...

Its nothing to do with 'precedent' or the league trying to be a 'tough guy' by releasing the sched or continuing to go along with busines as usual, and everything to do with running a major professional sports league...

The schedule has nothing to do with the labour battle, or the league sending a message that they're usuing replacement players if released, its simply that something this large to coordinate can't be done overnight, so they're working on it now - finalizing it, and getting it in place...

There's so many variables into making these schedules, and usually several drafts are done, then challeged by one team, and re-done, then a facility has a conflict and its re-done again etc etc etc...

That's all I was saying...

Thanks JonO, you understood...

Carts...

Roogsy
01-17-2010, 11:33 PM
I agree with Carts. They will release the schedule as they usually do because it's what makes most sense, regardless of how contract negotiations are going. If the new CBA gets done they have the schedule in place. If there is no agreement, either the season gets scrapped anyways, or they use scabs. Either way, the prudent thing is to put together a schedule. I don't think that is an indication of the progress of the CBA negotiations at all.

Yagbod
01-17-2010, 11:40 PM
I thought that last year the schedule came out in mid-Feb?

James Oliphant
01-17-2010, 11:56 PM
I thought that last year the schedule came out in mid-Feb?

Nope. Wednesday, January 28th.

http://gotorontofc.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=878

ensco
01-18-2010, 09:26 AM
I am certainly in agreement that they will construct a schedule and book the stadiums by end of January. They have to.

As for how/when they release it, we'll see.

Oldtimer
01-18-2010, 09:33 AM
MLS has to wait until after the NFL sets their schedule, because there are still a couple of teams that play in NFL stadiums.

james
01-18-2010, 09:54 PM
MLS has to wait until after the NFL sets their schedule, because there are still a couple of teams that play in NFL stadiums.

ya just New England and Seattle, however Houston play in a college football stadium as well, but im guessing college schedules come much later.

james
01-18-2010, 09:55 PM
i cant wait to see when we play in NY.....hope its in the spring so i can go on a sick road trip there!

Mark in Ottawa
01-19-2010, 09:15 AM
There's so many variables into making these schedules, and usually several drafts are done, then challeged by one team, and re-done, then a facility has a conflict and its re-done again etc etc etc...
Like when they released the schedule for the first few weeks and then changed the TFC home opener to a Thursday night game :rolleyes:

Carts
01-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Like when they released the schedule for the first few weeks and then changed the TFC home opener to a Thursday night game :rolleyes:

Exactly...

I never even got into the broadcast part of changes and requests... The MLS is like the NHL (when they had a deal), whatever ESPN wants - ESPN gets, no matter what the change...

These things are a nightmare to do...

I AP'd a documentary on the off season in the NHL a few years back - the schedule making process was crazy... You should have seen the arguements that we shot, but weren't allowed to use from teams bitching about games in so many nights, then facility managers and union reps abouts man hours to change from NBA to NHL & the cost, then the governments trying to get certain dates for tourist dollars...

Just nuts!

Carts...

nascarguy
01-19-2010, 09:34 AM
ya just New England and Seattle, however Houston play in a college football stadium as well, but im guessing college schedules come much later.
and Lincoln Financial Field needs to be book for the new team and nfl

james
01-20-2010, 01:37 AM
and Lincoln Financial Field needs to be book for the new team and nfl

Philly Union have there own Soccer stadium, they arent playing at lincoln Financial Field!

Nuvinho
01-20-2010, 01:13 PM
from Goff:

*MLS teams will soon begin to see first drafts of the full 2010 league schedule. The plan is to finalize the calendar by early February.

Carts
01-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Philly Union have there own Soccer stadium, they arent playing at lincoln Financial Field!

No he's right, the stadium is delayed...

"The Union will play their home opener at Lincoln Financial Field (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Financial_Field) on April 10, 2010 due to construction delays at their future home in Chester"

Even the current released opening date is 'soft' meaning they don't for 100% certain when it will be ready - but they do know its sometime during the 2010 season...

Carts...

james
01-20-2010, 09:10 PM
No he's right, the stadium is delayed...

"The Union will play their home opener at Lincoln Financial Field (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Financial_Field) on April 10, 2010 due to construction delays at their future home in Chester"

Even the current released opening date is 'soft' meaning they don't for 100% certain when it will be ready - but they do know its sometime during the 2010 season...

Carts...

oh well hopefully just the first few games then.

rocker
01-20-2010, 09:14 PM
i read philly is thinking of a July opening at the new stadium... so it could be 5-7 games at Lincoln.

RedsYNWA
01-22-2010, 08:40 PM
So by end of next week ??

mlsintoronto
01-23-2010, 08:58 AM
I learned yesterday that the tentative target date for release of the schedule is Feb 2. I expect to see a draft monday or tues.

London
01-23-2010, 09:04 AM
^^^ so either way, there will be alot of talk on feb 1-2

Nuvinho
01-23-2010, 09:04 AM
I learned yesterday that the tentative target date for release of the schedule is Feb 2. I expect to see a draft monday or tues.

sweet!!!

So I can plan my vac days, tell people to change their wedding dates so I can go to saturday games....haha!!!

Paul, don't know if you know yet, but is the MLS making more games before the WC or after?

Mark in Ottawa
01-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Hmmm... Feb 2nd... isn't that Groundhog Day!
Is that symbolic in some way :rolleyes:

Yeoman
01-23-2010, 10:45 AM
only if you're bill murray

Oblio2
01-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Curious of the schedule as I am planning on going to New York to see us Vs the Shite Bulls

Nuvinho
02-02-2010, 09:00 AM
is today the day they release the schedule. I need to plan the summer ;)

Yagbod
02-02-2010, 09:07 AM
I am guessing they will release it at the same time they announce a CBA deal, to make more of a 'splash'.

Wagner
02-02-2010, 09:26 AM
let's have it already.
I want to plan my summer.

mlsintoronto
02-02-2010, 09:31 AM
one day delay with musical dates occurring between cities...watch for it tomorrow at 2.

akoto
02-02-2010, 09:34 AM
any chance of a preview Paul? Maybe some highlights?

Wagner
02-02-2010, 09:37 AM
one day delay with musical dates occurring between cities...watch for it tomorrow at 2.

this rules.
time to book a 2pm "meeting" into my outlook calendar.
;)

Nuvinho
02-02-2010, 09:45 AM
NCC for the Voyageurs Cup schedule to be announced Feb 4 at BMO as well.

Mark in Ottawa
02-02-2010, 11:47 AM

Matching what is being reported on the "sprtswtr" twitter page from Philly.
http://twitter.com/sprtswtr

"MLS to release 2010 schedule 2 p.m. this Wednesday on MLSnet.com"

Nuvinho
02-02-2010, 02:29 PM
I hope June 5th and Sep 4th are home dates....warmth ;)

MLS_Insider (http://twitter.com/MLS_Insider)

Here's one I know you haven't heard. April 10th, June 5th and Sept. 4th are going to be VERY busy: all 16 teams play

MLS_Insider (http://twitter.com/MLS_Insider)

I also know that the regular season will end on Sunday, Oct. 24 with a pair of games.

GingerNinja
02-02-2010, 02:39 PM
I want to know when to book my flights to NYC and Philly.

Detroit_TFC
02-02-2010, 04:38 PM
I want to know when to book my flights to NYC and Philly.

Word. Those are on my gotta go list.

MUFC_Niagara
02-03-2010, 10:44 AM
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20100202&content_id=8010590&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Carts
02-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Oh man, with my super-busy summer of stags, weddings, family events (relatives from overseas) there's a bunch of dates I'm hoping we have no game at BMO...

Fingers crossed - I'm more nervous than excited...

Last year I missed one game, and it was the 3-2 win with O'Brien Whites beauty 'flick' goal... ARG!!!

Carts...

stugautz
02-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Hoping that TFC has road games in cities we can drive to on long weekends. Would that be too much to ask?

Wagner
02-03-2010, 12:13 PM
philly or energydrinks on may 24 would be ideal.
about 100 more minutes!!!!

jcplante
02-03-2010, 01:09 PM
c'mon ... I'm about to pee myself ... no leaks?

Carts
02-03-2010, 01:11 PM
philly or energydrinks on may 24 would be ideal.
about 100 more minutes!!!!

I just hope we play Philly in their new stadium - not in NFL stadium...

I wonder "just how delayed" the construction is...?

Carts...

jcplante
02-03-2010, 01:15 PM
^At least it's not the Vet anymore.

Gobi
02-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Arrrrrggghhhhh! I'm in knots waiting for this! C'mon! Blow the f*cking whistle!

Parkdale
02-03-2010, 01:20 PM
side note:

I hope we don't get boned on long weekends at home again.

If the long weekend is FRI-SAT-SUN, and we have a home game at 4:00pm on SAT,
it kind of kills the whole weekend, and then attendance is shit because lots of people
do other things. You know, summer things that people in canada love to do.

I hope that if there's any long weekend games it can be on the FIRST or LAST night of the long weekend.

Imagine a Thursday night game before a Friday-Sunday weekend? that would be madness!

jcplante
02-03-2010, 01:20 PM
i just realised that I had leaks and pee in the same sentence in an earlier post. Those were unrelated.
I meant information leaks ...
I need a drink

jcplante
02-03-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm hoping for away games on long weekends

Nuvinho
02-03-2010, 01:45 PM
MLS (http://twitter.com/MLS)

2010 #MLS (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS) Schedule teaser: 75% of games will be played on Saturdays; 85% of games will be played on weekends. Check MLSnet at 2 pm ET

Oldtimer
02-03-2010, 02:00 PM
continue in this thread:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=20059