PDA

View Full Version : Could/Should TFC have a Footy Retro Night?

billyfly
01-15-2010, 12:18 AM
The Raps are doing the Huskies, can TFC do the Blizzard now in their 4th year?

http://www.toffs.com/content/ebiz/toffs/invt/5040/5040_l.jpg

or

http://www.uksoccershop.com/images/invt/5041.jpg

Does anyone know if someone owns the rights to the name and logo etc?

EDIT: Joe Parolini owns the name

billyfly
01-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Some Internet research shows maybe Joe Parolini owns the name?

Damien
01-15-2010, 12:38 AM
i suggested this about 2 years ago... nobody seemed interested... :P

billyfly
01-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Maybe different now?

dantdot
01-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Someone was really pushing this a while ago, guess it didn't work out.

billyfly
01-15-2010, 12:52 AM
The talk mostly I remember was trying to get the team named the Blizzard.

I don't remember on these boards (later versions) of a push to have it done. I could be wrong.

Even though, it is time to try it again? Would Paul B and Co be interested in this idea?

The Blizzard was and is a name that carries weight. Would it sell? The Raptors did it this year.

billyfly
01-15-2010, 09:32 AM
bump

GhostKiller
01-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Ghostkiller wholeheartedly supports this idea. Also Ghostkiller wants to know if anyone wants to sell a Blizzards jersey.

gk.

stugautz
01-15-2010, 10:59 AM
TFC hasn't been around long enough to do anything retro. Lets focus on winning. Leave gimmicks for teams that aren't drawing.

billyfly
01-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Its not a Retro TFC. Its a Retro Toronto soccer lineage thing.

Carts
01-15-2010, 11:05 AM
I love retro nights... My thoughts...

In 2011... As part of our 5th anniversary...

Have games where we wear our 1st year kits...

Have a game against a city that played the Blizzard in the Blizzard kits...

Thnigs like that... 5-years of success (as a viable franchise, not talking wins/trophies) is nothing to overlook...

4th year, continue to build, 5th year is a decent round number to look into the past...

Carts...

Parkdale
01-15-2010, 11:06 AM
there's no blizzard connection (other than it's in the same city) so it won't happen.
MLSE isn't going to do a promo exercise for a brand that isn't theirs.

Carts
01-15-2010, 11:13 AM
there's no blizzard connection (other than it's in the same city) so it won't happen.

That's not true...

While I personally agree with you and don't think they'd do it... The Huskies and Raptors have no connection, and MLSE have been having the Raps wear the Huskies kits as part of their 15-year anniversary...

Carts...

Miko
01-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Would love to see a Blizzard - Whitecaps game in retro unis in 2011. Would be awesome!

Think it would come down to whether or not MLSE could make money off of merchandise

deltox
01-15-2010, 11:25 AM
if they can wear pink....and have it go to charity....them something can be worked out for the one game in a blizzards kit

billyfly
01-15-2010, 11:26 AM

HUSKIES

billyfly
01-15-2010, 11:27 AM
I love retro nights... My thoughts...

In 2011... As part of our 5th anniversary...

Have games where we wear our 1st year kits...

Have a game against a city that played the Blizzard in the Blizzard kits...

Thnigs like that... 5-years of success (as a viable franchise, not talking wins/trophies) is nothing to overlook...

4th year, continue to build, 5th year is a decent round number to look into the past...

Carts...

5th or 5 is a nice round number.

STB
01-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Simple question why ???

I dont really get the retro thing that happens with the Raps, anyone care to fill me in on why this would even matter to a TFC fan ?? (also why it matters to a Raps fan ??)

Do you want to watch your team play in someone elses kit (i kinda get your own retro kit but not the Blizzard) ?? Im guessing im missing out on some North American sporting history thing.....

billyfly
01-15-2010, 11:33 AM
It's called Nostalgia or Retro Marketing.

billyfly
01-15-2010, 11:36 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27915823/ns/business-sports_biz/

Carts
01-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Simple question why ???

I dont really get the retro thing that happens with the Raps, anyone care to fill me in on why this would even matter to a TFC fan ?? (also why it matters to a Raps fan ??)

Do you want to watch your team play in someone elses kit (i kinda get your own retro kit but not the Blizzard) ?? Im guessing im missing out on some North American sporting history thing.....

More like a North American "business thing"...

Poeple like to think that 'retro nights' were invented to honour the teams past etc etc etc - when in truth, they were started to simply sell more jerseys (see NHL)...

In the NHL's case, Fox Sport convinced the league in the early 90's to bring in the now common "3rd jersey"... This was to be an edgy, hip look, and only worn on Fox Sunday afternoon NHL broadcasts... Well, that flopped - as the jerseys were terrible, and nobody went for it...

Cue the big old boys of the NHL. Suddenly, the NHL approved teams to wear 'retro jerseys'. And the phenomenom was born on the ice. NOW, IF YOU CAN BELEIVE THIS - the NHL has approved teams to have Home-Away-Third-Retro jerseys - EVEN IF THE RETRO JERSEY NEVER EXISTED...

That's right, the Florida Panthers have a Black, Red, White jerseys, and invented a "retro jersey" of light blue with an 'old school' logo...

Overseas, kits change every year for some teams, but that would never fly in North America - people would scream "cash grab", but bringing in a different retro jersey every couple of years, and selling thousands of them is fine... Kinda weird eh...

MLSE has actually been very conservative with the Maple Leafs in regards to adding more jerseys... The Leafs have had several variations of the jersey over the years, but MLSE has stuck with the current retro-look (one of the best in the league IMO) for quite some time...

Carts...

billyfly
01-15-2010, 11:41 AM
I am not saying I would buy a jersey if they did this (although I remember the Blizzard quite well as a child and watched several games) or TFC should do this.

It's an open question to the TFC faithful how they would feel if the FO tried something like this. Remember soccer in Toronto has a much longer legacy than just Toronto FC.

Parkdale
01-15-2010, 11:43 AM
also... the huskies were in the NBA (if only for one season), so the LEAGUE can press the raps to go ahead with it.

you think the MLS would encourage MLSE to go ahead with a jersey that was part of the NASL?

care to place a wager?

tfcleeds
01-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Thank goodness this thread hasn't turned into "Retrogate" (at least, not yet).

I agree with the idea, but think they should wait another couple of years. Maybe Toronto City jerseys?

STB
01-15-2010, 11:45 AM
More like a North American "business thing"...

Poeple like to think that 'retro nights' were invented to honour the teams past etc etc etc - when in truth, they were started to simply sell more jerseys (see NHL)...

In the NHL's case, Fox Sport convinced the league in the early 90's to bring in the now common "3rd jersey"... This was to be an edgy, hip look, and only worn on Fox Sunday afternoon NHL broadcasts... Well, that flopped - as the jerseys were terrible, and nobody went for it...

Cue the big old boys of the NHL. Suddenly, the NHL approved teams to wear 'retro jerseys'. And the phenomenom was born on the ice. NOW, IF YOU CAN BELEIVE THIS - the NHL has approved teams to have Home-Away-Third-Retro jerseys - EVEN IF THE RETRO JERSEY NEVER EXISTED...

That's right, the Florida Panthers have a Black, Red, White jerseys, and invented a "retro jersey" of light blue with an 'old school' logo...

Overseas, kits change every year for some teams, but that would never fly in North America - people would scream "cash grab", but bringing in a different retro jersey every couple of years, and selling thousands of them is fine... Kinda weird eh...

MLSE has actually been very conservative with the Maple Leafs in regards to adding more jerseys... The Leafs have had several variations of the jersey over the years, but MLSE has stuck with the current retro-look (one of the best in the league IMO) for quite some time...

Carts...

Which takes me back to my first qyestion... Why would fans want it ??

It doesnt do anything to the game or the team and just promotes a "special retro night" and an excuse to double the beer prices. I could see a team struggling for attendance throwing the marketing trick but why in the world would TFC do it ?? Sold out every night with fans who want to watch footy not gimmicks...........

Fort York Redcoat
01-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Yeah I'm not interested in a throwback of another team.

billyfly
01-15-2010, 11:47 AM

I agree with the idea, but think they should wait another couple of years. Maybe Toronto City jerseys?

That was my pick back in 05 for the team name. My only problem with City was the tune "This is how it feels to be City, This is how it feels to be small..."

billyfly
01-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Which takes me back to my first qyestion... Why would fans want it ??

It doesnt do anything to the game or the team and just promotes a "special retro night" and an excuse to double the beer prices. I could see a team struggling for attendance throwing the marketing trick but why in the world would TFC do it ?? Sold out every night with fans who want to watch footy not gimmicks...........

You might not want it as an individual but you have to concede that the phenomena has had varying degrees of success in NA sports.

billyfly
01-15-2010, 11:49 AM

I am afraid of this as well.

Carts
01-15-2010, 12:00 PM
You might not want it as an individual but you have to concede that the phenomena has had varying degrees of success in NA sports.

100% true...

In North America, it has been very successfull...

Why? I don't know. But it has...

Carts...

Parkdale
01-15-2010, 12:02 PM
a 3rd jersey for TFC would sell like made (especially if it was in black, or white).

calling it a 'retro' jersey and putting the name of a different team that has NO connection to TFC (other than the city) would be a dumb move.

someone owns the copyright to the Blizzard name and logo, and they would probably expect a sweet payday for this to happen. And is it even worth paying for? I say no.

STB
01-15-2010, 12:04 PM
100% true...

In North America, it has been very successfull...

Why? I don't know. But it has...

Carts...

My main point is,

I get why the club execs would want it, it becomes and event in the calendar instead of just another home game.

I dont get why fans would want it if they already go to the games and dont need to be dragged to the stadium. It will not enhance the game and your already going to be at the game anyway........

billyfly
01-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Paul B where are you?

Carts
01-15-2010, 12:07 PM
My main point is,

I get why the club execs would want it, it becomes and event in the calendar instead of just another home game.

I dont get why fans would want it if they already go to the games and dont need to be dragged to the stadium. It will not enhance the game and your already going to be at the game anyway........

Its not all about selling tickets...

If marketing was only about selling tickets, the Maple Leafs marketing budget would be $0 b/c they sell out and make a keg load of cash every game...

So, if TFC came out with a new jersey, retro or third, are they doing it to get me to buy a ticket? NO, they're doing it to sell the jersey...

I like the fact the pink jersey's money went to a good cause... People bought them on auction, and from the store - but yes they already had a ticket to the game and pink jersey didn't change that...

Why do EPL team change their kits every year - to sell tickets, no. To sell jerseys to people who already have tickets...

Carts...

STB
01-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Its not all about selling tickets...

If marketing was only about selling tickets, the Maple Leafs marketing budget would be $0 b/c they sell out and make a keg load of cash every game...

So, if TFC came out with a new jersey, retro or third, are they doing it to get me to buy a ticket? NO, they're doing it to sell the jersey...

I like the fact the pink jersey's money went to a good cause... People bought them on auction, and from the store - but yes they already had a ticket to the game and pink jersey didn't change that...

Why do EPL team change their kits every year - to sell tickets, no. To sell jerseys to people who already have tickets...

Carts...

Yeah fair point, if only the yanks at Liverpool were as money savy as you Carts :D

Canadian Blue
01-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Simple question why ???

+1, I don't get this idea at all.............plus I bet a good majority of TFC fans have no connection/recollection with/of the Blizzard at all, therefore there would be very minimal nostalgia created by this

daner90
01-15-2010, 01:20 PM
I dont really see why they would do this while they are still trying to build the history of TFC...my 2 cents

Parkdale
01-15-2010, 01:26 PM
plus I bet a good majority of TFC fans have no connection/recollection with/of the Blizzard at all

I have no connection to the Blizzard, and would get more satisfaction just getting a really well designed 3rd jersey (Black with red piping)

Carts
01-15-2010, 01:34 PM
I have an idea for a Retro Night that will make everyone happy...

Ready... Ready... Ready...

Retro Night Beer Prices...!!! :drinking:

We take the cost of beer from the year the Blizzard were formed...

Done. Game-Set-Match...

Carts... :D

daner90
01-15-2010, 01:45 PM
If marketing was only about selling tickets, the Maple Leafs marketing budget would be $0 b/c they sell out and make a keg load of cash every game

Can I ask an off topic question of how much marketing the Leafs actually do. I know they did the sidewalk spray-paint and the outdoor practice, but other than that it seems all their marketing is analysts talking about them on the web, tv and radio

trane
01-15-2010, 02:18 PM
What ever happened to the gate idea, perhaps a retro gate with stars on it????

billyfly
01-15-2010, 02:19 PM
You guys are forgetting the title of the thread is "Retro Footy" and not necessarily "TFC Retro". TFC FO could market this as history of Toronto soccer. Only one aspect of it would be the jersey.

TOBOR !
01-15-2010, 03:30 PM
here's something they could do - a throwback design with a simple, stitched TFC for a badge, and no shirt sponsor. The event could be announced as being BMO sponsored - maybe extra BMO advertising in and around the stadium - whatevs, they'd need to be compensated.

I think that'd be nice.

Further to this, what about a Toronto Falcons night ? Metros ? etc.

Here's an idea - how about bringing back old Toronto footy stars ? Embracing Toronto's football history that way...

Batman
01-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Hey I like the plan. We could have a retro night with retro jerseys retro music and retro beer prices.... maybe even a concert to follow with the Stones, the Who, CSNY etc.

I'd definitely pay my $16 for that. Okay..maybe the bands might mean they'd have to charge an extra 5 bucks. I'm ok with that.
:.)

jaahuuu
01-15-2010, 04:38 PM
I have an idea for a Retro Night that will make everyone happy...

Ready... Ready... Ready...

Retro Night Beer Prices...!!! :drinking:

We take the cost of beer from the year the Blizzard were formed...

Done. Game-Set-Match...

Do you remember what happened when they gave away seat cushions? I'm all for cheap beer, but this would be a disaster waiting to happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Cent_Beer_Night

Darlofletch
01-15-2010, 04:49 PM
here's something they could do - a throwback design with a simple, stitched TFC for a badge, and no shirt sponsor. The event could be announced as being BMO sponsored - maybe extra BMO advertising in and around the stadium - whatevs, they'd need to be compensated.

I think that'd be nice.

abso-fucking-lutely.

Red CB Toronto
01-15-2010, 04:51 PM
MLSE has actually used Huskies jersey's twice for the Raptors, this year and during the 2nd season, which was the 50th for the NBA.

TFCRegina
01-15-2010, 05:13 PM
KC should have a retro night...those shirts were epic.

Carts
01-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Do you remember what happened when they gave away seat cushions? I'm all for cheap beer, but this would be a disaster waiting to happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Cent_Beer_Night

REPLY FAIL...

Cheap beer would be awesome... :drinking:

PS: the seat cushions is probably the most iconic image to come out of BMO field in our short history... That was awesome...!!!

Huyton
01-15-2010, 10:09 PM
If there is going to be a retro jersey game, it should be against Chicago, to celebrate the final NASL game ever played - the soccer bowl final between Toronto and Chicago.

The score had better be different this time, though.

DOMIN8R
01-15-2010, 10:16 PM
http://www.nasljerseys.com/images/Blizzard/Blizzard%2083%20Home%20David%20Byrne.jpg

billyfly
01-15-2010, 10:24 PM
http://www.amoresplendidlife.com/2008_07_01_archive.html

billyfly
01-15-2010, 10:34 PM
If there is going to be a retro jersey game, it should be against Chicago, to celebrate the final NASL game ever played - the soccer bowl final between Toronto and Chicago.

The score had better be different this time, though.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0k_o26QCu34/SHv4KQCvjFI/AAAAAAAAAQI/2VdRZT_dZ44/s400/BlizzardSoccerBowl84.jpg

Like the Visigoths sacking Rome, Toronto’s barricade-breaking fans probably weren’t aware their violence would herald the end of an empire. Following their second game, best-of-three series 3-2 loss to the Chicago Sting on October 3rd, 1984, pitch-invading Toronto Blizzard fans caused so much disruption at Varsity Stadium that the trophy presentation was forced into the Sting's dressing room. Six months later, the North American Soccer League would collapse under the weight of its easy-come, easy-go expansion teams. America's great soccer experiment had finished in the same chaos from which it began.

Toronto probably didn't have all that much to be angry about; the city had already ruined the party back in '76 with its ragtag team of multi-ethnic footballing veterans. Certainly Blizzard chairman Clive Toye did little to calm the situation, accusing the Sting of 'cheating.' He also took the unprecedented step of not going to the other team's dressing room to congratulate them on the win.

Yet it was the second consecutive loss in the NASL final for Toronto, and after more and more teams declared their intention to leave the league in the 1984 season (including the Chicago Sting), Blizzard fans probably knew their chance would never come again. They deserved better; Toronto's attendance attendance record was above the league average, and players credited the 16 482 fans in helping Toronto to come back and tie the game after going two goals down (in vain). One can't help but feel sad reading Blizzard captain Bruce Wilon's remarks after the game:

"We'll be back again next year, that's for sure."

The NASL was borne out of greed, avarice, and ambition. It was also borne out of invention, risk, and the love of the game -- not the same game we watch and play today, yes. But for all of the cheerleaders, the 35 yard lines, the 'Kick in the Grass' t-shirts, the nicknames, the empty stadiums, the artificial surfaces, the blizzards and the Croatians, the NASL did us a favour by promoting the game in Toronto in ways others could not even dream.

billyfly
01-15-2010, 10:40 PM
A certain Pantera Negra (Eusebio) is in the 2nd row 2nd from left for the MetrosCroatia in 1976.

This NASL championship was the first major North American title for the city since the Leafs won the Stanley Cup in 1967, and would stand until the Toronto Blue Jays' World Series win in 1992.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0k_o26QCu34/SHOLwIdNGbI/AAAAAAAAAOU/90VPhx5UugM/s400/MetrosCroatia76.jpg

billyfly
01-15-2010, 10:49 PM
I see you Blizzard!

Blizzard
01-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Paul B where are you?

A small group of us had an e-mail thread going on with PB on this subject a year or so back led by one of Toronto's soccer journalists and a soccer magazine publisher.

Paul B was negative on the idea as he was, understandably, more concerned with solidifying the TFC brand.

The rest of us were all very hopeful for a retro occasion (we'd been thinking Canada Day v the Whitecaps in the Nutrilite two years ago) but PB just isn't into it.

Maybe we can work on him again some years down the road.

B

billyfly
01-15-2010, 10:59 PM
^Oh for sure he has to concentrate on TFC first. As the years pass etc a tip of the hat to Toronto's soccer history would be nice and tied into TFC IMO.

This thread is a open question to all on the board, I am not saying this has to be done one way or another.

billyfly
01-15-2010, 11:05 PM
I started this thread awhile ago but there wasn't mush response.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=16153&highlight=Soccer+history

Blizzard
01-15-2010, 11:16 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0k_o26QCu34/SHv4KQCvjFI/AAAAAAAAAQI/2VdRZT_dZ44/s400/BlizzardSoccerBowl84.jpg

Like the Visigoths sacking Rome, Toronto’s barricade-breaking fans probably weren’t aware their violence would herald the end of an empire. Following their second game, best-of-three series 3-2 loss to the Chicago Sting on October 3rd, 1984, pitch-invading Toronto Blizzard fans caused so much disruption at Varsity Stadium that the trophy presentation was forced into the Sting's dressing room. Six months later, the North American Soccer League would collapse under the weight of its easy-come, easy-go expansion teams. America's great soccer experiment had finished in the same chaos from which it began.

Toronto probably didn't have all that much to be angry about; the city had already ruined the party back in '76 with its ragtag team of multi-ethnic footballing veterans. Certainly Blizzard chairman Clive Toye did little to calm the situation, accusing the Sting of 'cheating.' He also took the unprecedented step of not going to the other team's dressing room to congratulate them on the win.

Yet it was the second consecutive loss in the NASL final for Toronto, and after more and more teams declared their intention to leave the league in the 1984 season (including the Chicago Sting), Blizzard fans probably knew their chance would never come again. They deserved better; Toronto's attendance attendance record was above the league average, and players credited the 16 482 fans in helping Toronto to come back and tie the game after going two goals down (in vain). One can't help but feel sad reading Blizzard captain Bruce Wilon's remarks after the game:

"We'll be back again next year, that's for sure."

The NASL was borne out of greed, avarice, and ambition. It was also borne out of invention, risk, and the love of the game -- not the same game we watch and play today, yes. But for all of the cheerleaders, the 35 yard lines, the 'Kick in the Grass' t-shirts, the nicknames, the empty stadiums, the artificial surfaces, the blizzards and the Croatians, the NASL did us a favour by promoting the game in Toronto in ways others could not even dream.

That was one heckuva night. I didn't take part in the rushing of the field but I watched it with interest. For years I wondered why, after the match, Karl-Heinz Granitza was laid out in the centre circle apparently unconscioius. I'd kind of figured he'd been clobbered by a Blizzard supporter but I later heard one of the Blizzard did it.

Granitza was such a diver. I think that's what Clive Toye was referring to in that article. If you have a chance to see the highlight tape of the home and home final series, he's flopping around the field more than anybody you see today.

One thing that always gave me hope for the future was the absolute intensity of the crowd that night. TFC hasn't quite experienced that yet but once the Reds get into a cup final (or even a play-off), I think it will be very similar to what I experienced that night.

It was special, very special.

When they said "we'll be back next year", they really did mean it. If the league hadn't folded, the Blizzard would have continued. As we know, the team would be resurrected in the NSL, CSL and APSL all under the same ownership so they didn't disappear easily.

Blizzard
01-15-2010, 11:26 PM
^Oh for sure he has to concentrate on TFC first. As the years pass etc a tip of the hat to Toronto's soccer history would be nice and tied into TFC IMO.

This thread is a open question to all on the board, I am not saying this has to be done one way or another.

No, it's not a must but I'm always open to some sort of tribute to the past.

Maybe an oldtimer's night where we have a ceremony honouring Toronto's professional players of the past?

I'd like to see TFC acknowledge that they aren't the first although they are obviously the most succesfull. TFC has nothing to fear from giving regards to City, Falcons, Croatia and the Blizzard.

TFC has gone where none of these teams has been able to go, off the field anyway.

But hey, there's lots of time. TFC isn't going away! :scarf:

Tyler
01-16-2010, 07:39 PM
The Lynx (aka Blizzard in this match) did this in 2002 (??) in a home match against the Rochester Rhinos (aka Lancers). During the game a silent auction was held for each of the Toronto jerserys worn that night. I was lucky enough to land the kit worn by former Canadian international Lyndon Hooper. Kinda neat.

So I guess you can ascertain that the rights to the name and logo can be licensed from the rights holders. If MLSE wanted to make this happen it's just a matter of sorting out the monies.

billyfly
01-16-2010, 07:41 PM
^ I think I remember that game. Small memory of hearing about that.

For sure if TFC FO wanted something like this it could happen.

TorCanSoc
01-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Would love to see a Blizzard - Whitecaps game in retro unis in 2011. Would be awesome!

Think it would come down to whether or not MLSE could make money off of merchandise

This may be cool. MLSE senses a cash grab, you know there will be a possibility of it happening.

Jersey-wise. My guess is they continue with the pink brest cancer jerseys. In the future maybe an all white kit.

billyfly
11-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Time for TFC Marketing to get on the bandwagon...lol

CSO_BBTB
11-20-2011, 10:42 AM
As long as the ownership/management revolves around hockey types who only tuned into soccer in the last five to ten years there is probably no chance of this happening. 2007 is year zero for people like that and it has to be said many TFC supporters share that mindset.

In reality, Toronto's soccer history is as rich as that of Vancouver so it doesn't need to be that way. The difference maybe is that there wasn't the same level of fan support between 1985 - 2005 to keep traditions alive and memories of days past talked about in media terms.

The 50th anniversary of the launch of the ECPSL definitely should have been marked in some retro shirts sort of way last summer. Hopefully the next big anniversary, which I think would probably be the 40th anniversary of Metros-Croatia's Soccerbowl win in 2016, won't pass by quietly like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFlztm6wAnQ&feature=player_embedded

Kaz
11-20-2011, 11:03 AM
It's too bad MLS didn't work with the teams to great a Retro Derby every year.

As much as I'd think it be awesome to see a blizzard kit, I think only three teams in MLS really deserve a retro kit going back as far as NASL.

I'm thinking getting Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland to develop a third Retro kit and have a three way retro Derby between the three teams would be great for those cities though.

Redpunkfiddle
11-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Or they could just play the damn game.

prizby
11-20-2011, 04:25 PM
tfc would need the blizzards rights to do so no?

Blizzard
11-20-2011, 05:13 PM
tfc would need the blizzards rights to do so no?

If it were a one off, I doubt it would be difficult to get permission from the name owner(s).

That said, it was a few years back when a few of us engaged PB in an e-mail conversation about this possibility. He had zero interest in TFC wearing a Blizzard shirt on the field.

Perhaps he'd feel differently now. I kind of doubt it though.

CSO_BBTB
11-21-2011, 10:26 PM
I don't think anyone owns the rights to the Toronto Blizzard trademark these days, for what it's worth:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/vwTrdmrk.do;jsessionid=0001FrktgQ-1bXyEOhuSySgYP6z:-40H31D?lang=eng&status=OK&fileNumber=1084293&extension=0&startingDocumentIndexOnPage=1

the application related to it was allowed to lapse after the CUSL failed to materialize.

ensco
11-21-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't think anyone owns the rights to the Toronto Blizzard trademark these days, for what it's worth:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/vwTrdmrk.do;jsessionid=0001FrktgQ-1bXyEOhuSySgYP6z:-40H31D?lang=eng&status=OK&fileNumber=1084293&extension=0&startingDocumentIndexOnPage=1

the application related to it was allowed to lapse after the CUSL failed to materialize.

Seriously, how much would it cost to file for that trademark? Anyone know?

TFCRegina
11-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Wouldn't want it.

TFC is TFC. Not the Blizzard. I understand the attachment people have to the past, but these are separate organizations.

james
11-26-2011, 08:32 AM
i think MLS has been kind of trying to get away from the old NASL and North American type sport names like "blizzard" "wizards" "Rowdies"and went more english/Euro with "Toronto FC" "DC United" "sporting Kansas" "FC Dallas" exc. And even if teams like Vancouver or LA have kept there old name they have changed there crests and jerseys to get away from there old look. MLS has been trying to re-bran the league and get away from the old North American Soccer stereo types. So i dont see why they would care to go for Retro jerseys all of a sudden!

London
11-26-2011, 08:42 AM
the only retro kits any team should be wearing are there own.

if the team switched names, then ok, but why would a club want to use a kit from another league?

retro nights should be for special occasions like an aniversary

MLS is a young league and should not engage in any more gimmicks

Flipityflu
11-26-2011, 10:15 AM
the only retro kits any team should be wearing are there own.

if the team switched names, then ok, but why would a club want to use a kit from another league?

retro nights should be for special occasions like an aniversary

MLS is a young league and should not engage in any more gimmicks

i think its a good idea for the reasons you don't :). its a growing league, and any way to generate extra money is a good thing. A retro kit is much better than some of the stuff you get in, say, minor league baseball.

james
11-29-2011, 08:11 AM
teams having a 3rd jersey (like TFC pink jersey) is enough. Dont add more it just gets out of hand and looks to obvious like there deperate to make money!

Globetrotter
11-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Seriously, how much would it cost to file for that trademark? Anyone know?

TM (office + government) will run you about $450 total, which you can do yourself.

Take it to an IP law firm, you're looking at about $2000 total.

The mark is good for 15 years.

The registration process will take a year.

kodiakTFC
11-29-2011, 09:24 AM
i think MLS has been kind of trying to get away from the old NASL and North American type sport names like "blizzard" "wizards" "Rowdies"and went more english/Euro with "Toronto FC" "DC United" "sporting Kansas" "FC Dallas" exc. And even if teams like Vancouver or LA have kept there old name they have changed there crests and jerseys to get away from there old look. MLS has been trying to re-bran the league and get away from the old North American Soccer stereo types. So i dont see why they would care to go for Retro jerseys all of a sudden!

I could four teams who have joined MLS since 2008 whom have used their NASL moniker. Seems like they aren't really getting away with it.

TOBOR !
11-29-2011, 09:28 AM
I think the organisation should acknowledge the history of the game in this town. I think all teams should do that. Sure, TFC just got here, and they have no history, but I do.

I went to Blizzard games. I'm the connection between the two eras.

Furthermore, if I'd been around I may have attended Falcons games as well. But even if I didn't, I'm sure someone around here has.

There may be no relation between Toronto FC and any other Toronto squad, but they are the latest incarnation of a professional football team in the city. They have taken up the mantle of home team for us - the fans.

Once a year I think they should have a 'Hall of Fame' game, if you will, in association with the CSA and the Soccer Hall of Fame & Museum (such that it is).

Whether they play in the kit of a former local team, or wear it during warm-up only, or even just acknowledge a lesser team and it's accomplishments before the game, I think it would be a terrific gesture.

It could all be worked into a Toronto Footballing timeline... maybe they could even bring back former local stars for this annual event.

Carts
11-29-2011, 09:33 AM
I would have no problem if TFC wore the Blizzard kits one match - say when they play a city that has a similar history in the old league...

Commemorative kits with the date & opponent on them - auction them off for charity after at some gala event...

If they do it - I'm fine with it... If they don't - no worries either...

Carts...

james
12-01-2011, 07:44 AM
I could four teams who have joined MLS since 2008 whom have used their NASL moniker. Seems like they aren't really getting away with it.

i said even the teams that have kept there old names they have changed there crests and jerseys. Seattle, Montreal and Vancouver crests and jerseys have all changed since joining MLS. Portland is the closest thing to keeping the old look.

Gazza
12-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Bring De Ro back and put him in a Scarborough Blizzard jersey. Now THAT would be retro!

Oldtimer
12-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Bring De Ro back and put him in a Scarborough Blizzard jersey. Now THAT would be retro!

If you wanted to go retro with DeRo, a Toronto Lynx jersey would be the perfect one. However, the Lynx are still around these days now as a PDL team.

glaze
12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't see the appeal of it. As mentioned before, it isn't the same organization. And it isn't like the Blizzard/Lynx have a lasting history with many fans. The die hards may be able to answer some trivia questions about those organizations, but your average fan at BMO would probably be more inclined to buy a 3rd kit in an alternate colour such as black.