PDA

View Full Version : Who would say no to us....

Manutd27
01-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Well perhaps the title is a bit bold but I was curious on everyones thoughts on the subject of getting players in. In the past players would turn us down msotly due to the turf. Now we have the best supporters in the league, a great stadium with a great atmosphere, in a great city ( country ), and now complete with grass. Also tied into this is there anyone ( realistically ) you would like see fill up the roster spots left buy Amado and co.
Cheers
Cory

ensco
01-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Most name players wouldn't come unless we paid well through the market for them. For a whole bunch of reasons....

Top players aren't emigrating, it's a gig. They're looking for an adventure, to live a dream, to increase their endorsement potential, to do something their wife wants to do, to live in a place with warm weather ...

Which means they want to play in the USA, not Canada. Which means NY, LA, Miami, Vancouver... Sydney Australia in A-league would naturally interest more players than TFC ever will.

We need a list of good players whose wives have relatives in Toronto.

Manutd27
01-14-2010, 09:28 AM
We need a list of good players whose wives have relatives in Toronto.[/quote]

LOL.....that would be an interesting list to have! We do have that problem that Toronto does not have the best weather, but when players see BMO in full voice during a match and then see a half empty stadium in Chivas it must have some impact, but I suppose that is nieve as players ( like it or not ) are after one thing $$$$.

jabbronies
01-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Most name players wouldn't come unless we paid well through the market for them. For a whole bunch of reasons....

Top players aren't emigrating, it's a gig. They're looking for an adventure, to live a dream, to increase their endorsement potential, to do something their wife wants to do, to live in a place with warm weather ...

Which means they want to play in the USA, not Canada. Which means NY, LA, Miami, Vancouver... Sydney Australia in A-league would naturally interest more players than TFC ever will.

We need a list of good players whose wives have relatives in Toronto.

I'd be tempted to add Montreal to that list as well. They are known in Europe as Canada's fashion hub.

Roogsy
01-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Quite a few reasons.

Canada is still considered a soccer backwater.

The cold weather.

The higher cost of living compared to some places, but equal to others like LA and NY, that's not an advantage to us.

Lack of sponsorship money up here.

Lack of television coverage either here in Canada or in other countries about Canada.

Lack of profile up here.

Higher Marginal Tax Rate.

Failure to understand or desire to deal with currency issues that are raised.

Lack of knowledge about Canada.

There are advantages to coming here, but you were asking why a player wouldn't want to come and these factors are pretty common.

TOBOR !
01-14-2010, 09:50 AM
um, The higher cost of living compared to some places... which places were you thinking of - and what does it matter when you make kajillions of dollars ?

Failure to understand or desire to deal with currency issues that are raised - you must be referring to Americans.

another reason : MLS is not considered a top league. Any player wishing to play for his national side would not entertain coming here (kind of goes hand in hand with lack of coverage mentioned by Roogsy).

uncle p
01-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I dont know of many players in the MLS making kajillion dollars :)

Manutd27
01-14-2010, 10:51 AM
So with all that being said, who would you like to see fill in the roster spots we have opened with the players released? A much talked about player on the boards is Will Johnson...what do you think it would take to bring him here.

spark
01-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Quite a few reasons.

The cold weather.

The higher cost of living compared to some places, but equal to others like LA and NY, that's not an advantage to us.

Lack of television coverage either here in Canada or in other countries about Canada.

Lack of profile up here.

There are advantages to coming here, but you were asking why a player wouldn't want to come and these factors are pretty common.

Don't forget Mo ;)

Carts
01-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Other than the super-elite, players will usually go where the money is...

Sure, the city, quality of life, chance to win a title means something to players - but in the MLS, where 99.9% of the players aren't making millions, you're following the money...

Say you're a decent MLS player, Toronto offers you $100,000 - Real Salt Lake offers you $135,000, and Columbus offer you $200,000 - you're taking the $200k and living in Columbus...

Carts...

Manutd27
01-14-2010, 11:31 AM
But we should be able to offer a good player the same money as any other club can. There has to something inside these players hearts and minds and would relish wheeling away after score a late game winner in front a rabid, passionate full house, instead of a half empty throwball stadium....am I being too "romantic" about this? I just don't think we can use money as an excuse, we have very rich owner who should be able to pay the players as well as any other club, and besides in a league with a salary cap we are on a level playing field financially.

Mark in Ottawa
01-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Some of this depends upon whether a player is on the way up or down career wise.
MLS in general can be a good stepping stone for young players on the way up... Mo Edu comes to mind.

MLS in general can also be a good place for "the more mature" players to extend there careers for a few years while seriously looking at other opportunities after their playing career... Danny Dichio would seem to fit this category. Slowly MLS is shedding that "place to retire" stigma that North America has had for so long within the football world.

Players looking for $$ outside of football will naturally gravitate to the big media centers of NY, LA etc...

Players with family concerns have all of those special concerns and Toronto seems to score highly in those regards as a place to live and raise a family.

Like any employee looking for employment there are a lot of factors to consider and depending upon ones individual circumstances different factors score more or less highly in reaching a decision.

Carts
01-14-2010, 11:49 AM
But we should be able to offer a good player the same money as any other club can. There has to something inside these players hearts and minds and would relish wheeling away after score a late game winner in front a rabid, passionate full house, instead of a half empty throwball stadium....am I being too "romantic" about this? I just don't think we can use money as an excuse, we have very rich owner who should be able to pay the players as well as any other club, and besides in a league with a salary cap we are on a level playing field financially.

Not always true...

The salary cap can be tough to navigate, its not as cut'n'dry as people think - I'm sure every team, at some point, has wanted to sign someone and realised they don't have enough cap room to outbid an opponent...

Carts..

[NBF]
01-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Quite a few reasons.

The cold weather.

Lack of profile up here.

Its the Toronto factor in my opinion, Raptors, Blue Jays, Maple Leafs, they all have the same problems.

Players don't want to come to Toronto(Canada), because they don't want to be taxed half their paycheck. Not to mention, it's hard being a pimp in a city with a bunch of wiggers hanging on your nuts:D

TFC Via Buffalo
01-14-2010, 12:08 PM
to live in a place with warm weather ...

Which means they want to play in the USA, not Canada. Which means NY, LA, Miami, Vancouver...

I know I'm a product of the U.S. educational system, but I'm pretty sure Vancouver is:

a.) In Canada
b.) Not warm

Plus, I think the original poster is looking more along the lines of guys who have spurned us in the past and if that kind of quality player would now come to TFC based on having grass. Hey, as an outsider looking in, Toronto is a hell of a lot nicer then some locals give it credit. Try living in Buffalo sometime.

Auzzy
01-14-2010, 12:14 PM
^ It's warmer than Buffalo. :) BTW, as a half-product of the US system myself, I'm sure the typo in eductational was intentional :)

Beach_Red
01-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Players looking for $$ outside of football will naturally gravitate to the big media centers of NY, LA etc...

Maybe, but those markets are very competitive, saturated with athletes from every other sport looking for endorsements.

It might be easier for a soccer player to get an endorsement deal in Toronto right now than in NY or LA.

TFC Via Buffalo
01-14-2010, 12:25 PM
^ It's warmer than Buffalo. :) BTW, as a half-product of the US system myself, I'm sure the typo in eductational was intentional :)

DAMN IT!!!!!! I knew that would happen. :facepalm: Typing fast at work + no spell check = asking for trouble.

Mark in Ottawa
01-14-2010, 12:33 PM
I know I'm a product of the U.S. eductational system
Eductational system?
O right... Northern US in the "duct tape belt"!

TFC Via Buffalo
01-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Eductational system?
O right... Northern US in the "duct tape belt"!

Shut up, Mark!! I fixed it, ok. Just remember who your bootleg Mountain Dew hook up is! :)

JonO
01-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Mmmm... Mountain Dew....

[NBF]
01-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Well perhaps the title is a bit bold but I was curious on everyones thoughts on the subject of getting players in. In the past players would turn us down msotly due to the turf. Now we have the best supporters in the league, a great stadium with a great atmosphere, in a great city ( country ), and now complete with grass. Also tied into this is there anyone ( realistically ) you would like see fill up the roster spots left buy Amado and co.
Cheers
Cory

I would like to see Toronto FC look like this:

-----------------------------Frei--------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------
Wynne--------Ihemelu----------------Serioux---------Dunivant
-------------Cronin-------DeGuzman------Brennan---------------
Barrett------------------------------------------------DeRosario
--------------------------Fernandao---------------------------

*Ugo Ihemelu, since he might have Canadian Citizenship and is one of the best CB in the MLS.

*Todd Dunivant, since there really isnt much choice in the MLS for a LB and I dont think Brennan is even worth mentioning.

*Fernandao, experienced goalscorer and would be a real poacher in MLS. Not to mention his current contract end in June of 2010. He's 31 and 6'3.

Manutd27
01-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Plus, I think the original poster is looking more along the lines of guys who have spurned us in the past and if that kind of quality player would now come to TFC based on having grass. Hey, as an outsider looking in, Toronto is a hell of a lot nicer then some locals give it credit. Try living in Buffalo sometime.[/quote]

That is more along the lines of what I was referring too. We have had players say no to us or leave because of the turf, I just think that with this our of the way we will be harder to turn down. I'm actually rather suprised how many posters believe we would be a players last choice ( or at least one of the last ). Keep in mind I meant this to be considered on a strictly MLS level ( clubs and players who would realistically come here ).

Manutd27
01-14-2010, 12:48 PM
[NBF] your line up looks good, not bad! One omission from your squad that I have not heard much about is Robbo, anyone know what his situation is?

Auzzy
01-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Mmmm... Mountain Dew....

Mountain Dew with caffeine, the way it should be...

TFC07
01-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Vancouver, Montreal, Miami and Sydney over Toronto? lol

Miami doesn't have a MLS team, so I am not worried about that (btw, Miami is overrated and I highly doubt players can make enough money in that market compare to Toronto). I highly doubt a player wants to play for RedBull New York.

Like mention before, most big name players will come to MLS when they're old and want to settle in life with their family (example, Dichio). I think Toronto is a great city for that. It's clean, safe and friendly that is has bit of old country feel to it because we got so many immigrants from all over the world living in the City and other GTA cities (Brampton). So they'll feel like at home.

Roogsy
01-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Don't forget Mo ;)

OMG I forgot the biggest reason of all! LOL!

Roogsy
01-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Other than the super-elite, players will usually go where the money is...

Sure, the city, quality of life, chance to win a title means something to players - but in the MLS, where 99.9% of the players aren't making millions, you're following the money...

Say you're a decent MLS player, Toronto offers you $100,000 - Real Salt Lake offers you $135,000, and Columbus offer you $200,000 - you're taking the $200k and living in Columbus...

Carts...

The problem is that rarely happens. Usually its something like 110k/2 years, 100k/3 years or 140k/1 year. What would you do?

Roogsy
01-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Some of this depends upon whether a player is on the way up or down career wise.
MLS in general can be a good stepping stone for young players on the way up... Mo Edu comes to mind.

MLS in general can also be a good place for "the more mature" players to extend there careers for a few years while seriously looking at other opportunities after their playing career... Danny Dichio would seem to fit this category. Slowly MLS is shedding that "place to retire" stigma that North America has had for so long within the football world.

Players with family concerns have all of those special concerns and Toronto seems to score highly in those regards as a place to live and raise a family.

Like any employee looking for employment there are a lot of factors to consider and depending upon ones individual circumstances different factors score more or less highly in reaching a decision.

Agreed.

Carts
01-14-2010, 01:32 PM
The problem is that rarely happens. Usually its something like 110k/2 years, 100k/3 years or 140k/1 year. What would you do?

Normally I would go for 2-years at $110k (for $220 total)...

But with no guaranteed contracts, I'd take the one-year and try to cash in as quickly as possible / while healthy...

Aka - I'm taking the most money...

Carts...

habstfc
01-14-2010, 04:31 PM
I think with the grass issue being resolved there shouldn't be any reason a player would not want to play here. That's the only reason I could see keeping a player from coming here previously. It was quite apparent after the first season this is the best place to play in mls. We have the most knowledgable fans in mls and that goes a long way with foreign players. Would you rather play in front of half empty stadiums (on most nights) in pretty much the whole league with the exception of seattle and houston,( even galaxy are drawing less than 20,000 on some nights) or play here. If your a professional footballer I think the answer is obvious. Professional athletes want to feel appreciated no matter how much they're making. Unless you are making big money to play what's the point of going to a new york or los angeles if you're unable to live the lifestyle. Nobody really cares about soccer in america particularly the media. At least we care here.