PDA

View Full Version : Wide right!! or left?!?!

J .
01-13-2010, 02:24 AM
There has been lots of discussion on what is needed for the team next season. Im of the belief our biggest weakness is not in front of the goal or our backline, but our wide players.

If we had players who could open up the central midfield for guys like Cronin, Robinson, DeRo, JDG to operate, let guys like Gerba poach or Barrett run onto the ball it will do wonders for our offense. Gerba came in tired after playing with MK Dons and the Gold Cup. Barrett is a hard working guy and Preki will help him. So I think we shouldnt rush into panic over our offense. JDG, DeRo, Gerba, Barrett and OBW guys will get us goals.

Our defending play at best was sub par. Serioux was absent in stretches, Garcia didnt have the legs and only Nana was a real revelation. Wynne was decent, but Brennan is on his last legs. If our backline was Brennan, Nana, Serioux and Wynne, it isnt the worst in the league, not a shut down backline, but workable.

Far too often last year I felt we got very little contribution from our wide players. How often would there be a counter chance with a failed cross. If we were able to pull in two wingers, it would alleviate so much pressure off our backline and would help get guys room in the midfield to get possession and make a play.

Barrett showed glimpses, but really is a forward. Brennan may be better suited for a midfield role, but leaves a huge gap in our back line. But he is slowing up regardness.

Since our club came into being we never have had wide impact players. Its what our club is missing the most.

TOBOR !
01-13-2010, 06:06 AM
What you're saying is that we should have found a way to hold onto Lesley Fallinga.

(gotcha).

Keystone FC
01-13-2010, 06:38 AM
I agree in some areas but our backline in general is a mess and needs to be fixed asap. What was the stat...we let in how many goals in the last 15 minutes of play? I just think our defending in general needs to be improved. If our forwards knew how to keep the ball and if our midfield knew how to maintain possesion and get the ball to the forwards and if the backline was able to not only to stop the flow of progress from the opposition and collect the ball and get it to the midfielders then we would have been in the playoffs last season.

[NBF]
01-13-2010, 07:05 AM
I think its a proven fact that when a TFC player crosses the ball from "far right", the ball usually crosses to the "far left". Maybe we should focus our attention on an attacking midfielder:drinking:

I dont think we need any Wingers, until we have an actual target man.

For the team we have now, there's a void and that void is the backline.

:drum:Centre Back for a DP:drum:

cmonyoureds
01-13-2010, 10:33 PM
I couldn't agree more on the wingers. I'm not sure we can say we don't have a target man. I've never seen a cross into the box that could actually test that theory.

barca99
01-13-2010, 10:59 PM
I've never seen a cross into the box that could actually test that theory.

I agree with your point that sometimes it's not the striker, but the player who crosses the ball.

My favourite TFC player last season was Cronin, and he actually looked really good IMO on the wing. The whole offense went through him. Not sure if he is more valuable at centre mid though... I guess that's for Preki to figure out now. I do agree that getting a quality outside (maybe even 2) mid will create a lot of space down the middle, not to mention Brennan and Wynne won't have to move as far forward, so maybe it will improve the backline as well.

Carts
01-13-2010, 11:04 PM
;850985']:drum:Centre Back for a DP:drum:

Do we need a Centre Back - YES. Absolutely.

But a DP - no!

SFC we have a defensive midfielder being wasted as our DP already...

In this league, a DP needs to be game-changer...

The worse thing a team could do in this league is using a DP on a Defensive Midfielder - like we're doing / hold the play, not score, not stop an attack, just hold - if that...

In this league, a striker or attacking midfielder are worth the cash - otherwise its wasted...

Can one man stop a 'team attack'...? No.
Can one man organize the defence to stop a 'team attack'...? No.
Can one man distribute to build an attack... No.

You need more...

Can a striker change a game with one shot? Yes...

Can one man win a game with one touch of the ball? Yes...

Can an attacking midfielder change a game with a perfect ball to a striker that leads to a goal? Yes...

In a league like this, goals win...

GOALS WIN... Its scrappy, can be disorganized, can be a mess. Strikers and attackers wins games - not a defensive mid who holds and distributes....

Carts...

J .
01-14-2010, 01:44 AM
We've got DeRo as the attacking mid. JDG and Cronin also in the middle of the park. We may not have a target man, but Gerba is a strong body and will be rested for the season. We also got a bunch of guys who are pretty fast too who could run onto chips behind the defenders.

Preki from my understanding likes to play a structured game, I seriously hope this means we get guys in meant to play as wingers. They are the two positions we never have had anybody in before, if we add some guys there our lineup is much improved.

akoto
01-14-2010, 05:13 AM
We've got DeRo as the attacking mid. JDG and Cronin also in the middle of the park. We may not have a target man, but Gerba is a strong body and will be rested for the season. We also got a bunch of guys who are pretty fast too who could run onto chips behind the defenders.

Preki from my understanding likes to play a structured game, I seriously hope this means we get guys in meant to play as wingers. They are the two positions we never have had anybody in before, if we add some guys there our lineup is much improved.

We HAD a pretty good winger for half a season in season one. Ronnie O'Brien. Damn mid season friendlies.

106-12
01-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Gerba is a very good goal scorer however he has to get the ball on the ground and i hope now that we have JDG he knows him and give him the ball where he is good at and i thing that is the same with Barret they are not DD.However TFC needs more than that we need to be organized and have < agame plan agame plan agame plan > we can,t play every team the same way and that starts with the coach. some games in the past three years our team was amazing and then they die for 2 or 3 games

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 10:17 AM
What you're saying is that we should have found a way to hold onto Lesley Fallinga.

(gotcha).

Although he didn't get much of a shout, I was hoping we could hold onto him seeing as he was really our only wide player... aside from Jimmy

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2010, 12:42 PM
We HAD a pretty good winger for half a season in season one. Ronnie O'Brien. Damn mid season friendlies.

coupled with turf and a sour attitude

Bars92
01-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Play 'em wide.

jvanpeebles
01-16-2010, 03:35 PM
I have some difficulty accepting the story or explaination that Gerba was tired coming into tfc. He is a professional and as such should always be in shape. By stating a player is tired because he played 5 or 6 games in 2 weeks is dissapointing. We hear this in every sport but it truly is unrealistic.
Regarding our team we clearly need some speed and leadership from the back. We have a few players that make up the future of our defense if we can keep them but another one or two are needed. Mo drafted well last year and I am really interested in how they play and how a new coach uses them.
See you at the games and in the playoffs

RPLProducer
01-16-2010, 03:45 PM
i'd like to see jimmy move up to the left side of the midfield. his man marking last season wasn't very good but i think that he can still provide some offense and i've always liked his crossing ability off the left foot. and may i add that the guy has the heart of a lion.

jloome
01-17-2010, 03:13 PM
coupled with turf and a sour attitude

I could be wrong but I think he's still unattached after a brief USL stint.

Kinda says something about either attitude or poor communication skills.

druid
01-18-2010, 12:59 AM
I have some difficulty accepting the story or explaination that Gerba was tired coming into tfc.

I'm starting to believe that Gerba is the Star Trek film series of strikers: at every second club he's crap.

ExiledRed
01-18-2010, 02:08 AM
I'm starting to believe that Gerba is the Star Trek film series of strikers: at every second club he's crap.

Well lets hope new players dont get killed when he plays in away matches.